Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2476811 - 03/10/13 08:56 AM So....SIMUS! Tell me...
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Simus, every few days or so, you post news of some amp that you've accquired, and even post pictures of them. You seem to have quite a dandy collection of amplification. AND, it seems, enough amps to equip all the bands that might make up the next Woodstock!

But tell me...and the rest of us...

WHICH of those amps is your favorite. And WHY?
Whitefang

GP Island
#2476814 - 03/10/13 09:08 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: whitefang]
simus35 Offline

Loc: Canada(Kingston)
my favorite is all of those because each amp got something the other don't have. but I have a crush on the laney because I like to play black Sabbath stuff and some mr. big stuff. the fender is good for country to blues but for heavy stuff is not very good but is very pedal friendly and the Roland, very very good clean for jazzy stuff(but i'm still learning how to play jazz, very hard to learn this style) but this amp is good to for some old rock too.

Marshall VM2266
fender ’65 Twin Reverb reissue
Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA
Godin Artisan ST-5
Godin LG Signature
Seagull S6
Yes I love Godin guitar

#2476819 - 03/10/13 11:18 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: simus35]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I also have a few guitars and amps (at the moment) plus an XT POD connected to my PC with Klipsch powered speakers plus pedals.

Rotation is fun - wonder how many here play different styles on different set-ups ?

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2476919 - 03/11/13 07:45 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Bartholomew]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
Rotation is fun - wonder how many here play different styles on different set-ups ?

I have a few different set-ups, for different uses. For high-tech sounds, I run my PRS SE 24 through a multi-effects board (with amp modeling) & a guitar synth, into a KB amp. For a more straight-ahead Blues/Rock sound, I'll use my BC-60, my Epi Dot, and a few pedals, usually an OD and a Delay. If I'm pushing into Prog/Fusion territory, I pull out one of my SG's (black Gibson or white Epi). I've even dedicated one of my multi-fx to Strat/SC tones, and the others to Gibson/HB tones. Makes it easy to know what to grab, heading out the door, and it gives me serious control over my sound.

Like Simus, my favorite rig is the one I'm plugged into at that moment.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2476923 - 03/11/13 08:24 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For those of us with limited funds who don't have an electric guitar at the moment, "rotation" means going from the six-string to the 12 string. For even others, "rotation" means playing their one and only axe on a spinning stool!

If I ever find the finances to get an electric, I'd have to settle for one, and ONLY one amp to play it through. And that ultimately means that I'd be playing it "ampless" for several months after first getting the guitar.

I'd better never, EVER read any gripes from either of you here!
Whitefang

#2476924 - 03/11/13 08:26 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
For me, rotation means changing guitars or pedals, because I only have one amp...and my stool doesn't spin.

(Although I do plan on buying a combo amp voiced more for metal like an Orange...)

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (03/11/13 08:27 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2476948 - 03/11/13 10:50 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Bartholomew]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California

I like to play different styles on the same set-up and just find the sweet spot on the guitar and amp settings. I don't like playing in any one style all night. I have a multi pedal and can set up a patch that works best for each of my guitars but so far I'm still just using one (ie. 65 Fender Deluxe) as all the guitars are sounding good through it. I like to be versatile and play R&R, Jazz, Blues, Country, Rockabilly, Pop, all on the same rig and go direct to the PA. Mostly doing solo work and using the guitar for backing my vocals. For practice, I usually just play on my acoustic. I plug in and record using my looper when the practice is a little more serious...

#2476960 - 03/11/13 12:16 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I have a multi pedal and can set up a patch that works best for each of my guitars but so far I'm still just using one (ie. 65 Fender Deluxe) as all the guitars are sounding good through it.

+1. With all the amp models available to me, I still tend to go for one of the two Fender models (Twin & Tweed) as my basic building block for amp sounds. I tend to use EQ to shape the sound for different guitars.

Simus, I don't see any effects in your gear list. Any pedals, multi-effects, or are you an amp purist?

#2476968 - 03/11/13 12:58 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Winston Psmith]
simus35 Offline

I use Boss pedal(ds-1, dd-3, frv-1,ce-2,ph-3,eq,vox v847,Ibanez wd7) and the behringer v-amp pro and bass v-amp pro

Edited by simus35 (03/11/13 12:59 PM)

Marshall VM2266
Godin Artisan ST-5
Godin LG Signature
Seagull S6
Yes I love Godin guitar

#2477075 - 03/12/13 06:54 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: simus35]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Man, that sounds like my 80's rig! Bunch of Boss pedals, an SG, and a couple of 100-watt amps.

#2477080 - 03/12/13 07:04 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Winston Psmith]
simus35 Offline

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Man, that sounds like my 80's rig! Bunch of Boss pedals, an SG, and a couple of 100-watt amps.

yes I like the 80's era. was the good time and I think I get stock during this time. but just for the music and not for the clothing laugh

Marshall VM2266
Godin Artisan ST-5
Godin LG Signature
Seagull S6
Yes I love Godin guitar

#2477200 - 03/12/13 02:51 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: simus35]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

The clothing was pretty bad, but the HAIR!!!!!
Flock Of Seagulls

#2477304 - 03/13/13 08:18 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Bartholomew]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

guilty as charged.

I play in a few different bands with different styles, and get called for a few different cover gig situations, so I grab whichever guitars and pedals fit the gigs.

I've kind of settled on either a VOX AC30CC or AC15CC as amps, though... depending on needed volume and space and how much of a pain load-in is at the gig. Chinese-made and printed circuit boards, so they don't have snob appeal and some people give me gruff, but I've never had one problem with them, as opposed to the American and British amps that let me down a few times. I have a little GFS Dual Clean Drive pedal that makes them sound like 6L6 amps if I need them to...

#2477427 - 03/13/13 06:10 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Winston Psmith]
Bartholomew Offline

I'm back into no pedals, just a Les Paul or tele and a cable.

Doing a lot of Blues jam nights when friends' groups play plus the odd gig - usually use a Vox wah and Boss chorus in stereo on gigs - 2 amps.

#2477457 - 03/13/13 09:59 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: Bartholomew]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

yeah, no pedals can be liberating... when it's a gig that needs a straight ahead sound then sure. I played with an older r&b singer who scoffed at pedals and didn't want them used... but I ended up hiding a small board with a compressor, overdrive and boost on the side of my amp for songs that benefitted from them. He eventually noticed and didn't complain... I guess it was tasteful enough that he didn't find it distracting, which was what he seemed to hate about people using them.

But even with a big board of them I'm kind of spartan in using them, unless I have to play a song by The Police or The Fixx or something. I am ridiculous with the number of dirt boxes I usually have, but I use them all, and in different combinations, in subtle ways.

I never feel like plugging even one of them in around the house, though.

#2477458 - 03/13/13 10:01 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

but just a Tele straight into an amp is an inspirational thing.

#2477490 - 03/14/13 06:19 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can see if I ever get an electric, I'll know where to come for advice on an amp!

So much has changed( it seems) since I "86ed" my suddenly dead Silvertone suitcase sized amp back in '73. Back in that day, there were actually zonked-out stoners who punctured their amps speaker's diaphrams with phillips head screwdrivers to get that "fuzz tone" sound! "Who wants that WIPEOUT sound any more, man?" they would claim. EEP!
Whitefang

#2477544 - 03/14/13 09:22 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 P90. I can go without pedals as long as it's a Fender amp with reverb like a Deluxe, Twin, DeVille, etc. I like going straight in but have no problem with having a few little extras in line like vibrato, comp, and delay. I like it clean for what I do, but I also have no problem getting a little wild with overdrive/distortion when I feel like it...Love watching Roy Buchannon on that Tele straight to a Twin with the back of the amp facing the audience.

@ Fang, my Harp player still has my old piggy back Silvertone amp that I sold him decades ago. He doesn't use it and keeps it just to haunt me with. Can't imagine poking holes in those little speakers just to get fuzzy, but stoners are liable to do just about anything...

#2477558 - 03/14/13 09:52 AM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I played with an older r&b singer who scoffed at pedals and didn't want them used... but I ended up hiding a small board with a compressor, overdrive and boost on the side of my amp for songs that benefitted from them. He eventually noticed and didn't complain... I guess it was tasteful enough that he didn't find it distracting, which was what he seemed to hate about people using them.

Can't stand control freaks...If you are the guitar player, you should make the decisions with regard to guitar. If he doesn't like what you do then it's time to split the sheets. Concessions can and should be made so that you give the singer what he wants in any genre, but not to the point of giving up what you think sounds best.

#2477693 - 03/14/13 08:59 PM Re: So....SIMUS! Tell me... [Re: whitefang]
Bartholomew Offline

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I can see if I ever get an electric, I'll know where to come for advice on an amp!

So much has changed( it seems) since I "86ed" my suddenly dead Silvertone suitcase sized amp back in '73. Back in that day, there were actually zonked-out stoners who punctured their amps speaker's diaphrams with phillips head screwdrivers to get that "fuzz tone" sound! "Who wants that WIPEOUT sound any more, man?" they would claim. EEP!
Whitefang

This was an old studio player trick from New York in the Sixties or maybe even Fifties - but nobody ever believed me.

First fuzz-tone, used in retro R&B studio & pop productions. Actually I think they sliced the speakers with razor blades rather than putting puncture holes in the paper - more precise.

That Silvertone is probably a collector's item now.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose