Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2475878 - 03/04/13 06:33 PM Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
After storing it in my shed (climate controlled) for several years. Having been playing my Valve Jr, and then the new Super Champ X2 and having no room by my computer desk because there were too many guitars there, (which is where I practice) so when I sold the SG there was just enough room to fit it back in the mix.

Man what a difference, it is hifi compared to my other amps, and by a long shot. Now the HRD is not anywhere near stock, it has souped up tubes from Eurotubes, and an Eminence Tone Spotter speaker, and a Weber Beam Blocker in front of the speaker, all three mods made a small difference, but the three mods together made a huge difference in the clean channel tone. I don't use the OD channel unless the thing is turned up to band level volumes, so I put several stomps in front and wow. I think I am in love again.

GP Island
#2475901 - 03/04/13 07:55 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Nothing like an old flame rekindled, eh?

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2475938 - 03/05/13 06:28 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
russclan Offline

Just bought one of these, and I really like it a lot. The clean channel is very sweet. I will, however, be subjecting it to some serious modifications/experimentations to see if I can improve it.

#2475975 - 03/05/13 09:36 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: russclan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Damn it DBM you're making my back ache thinking about it, but it's time to bring out my Hot Rod DeVille from the closet and have some fun! Nothing like a clean tuber to put some mojo back in the mix! laugh

#2476040 - 03/05/13 03:56 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Larryz]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I used one of those on a theater charity gig for 750 people and thought it was great.

They had pro sound guys - it was also miked.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2476050 - 03/05/13 05:33 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Bartholomew]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The DeVille hurts my back just hearing that name. The Hot Rod Deluxe is heavy enough.

I am still surprised at how good that HRD amp is, (for a cheapie Mexican made amp). I have had all kinds of amps from Plexies, Twins, Pro Reverbs, Bassman, Deluxe Reverbs, 4 different Mesa Boogie amps, a few Peaveys, a couple of Music Men, and I am sure others as well, but none of them suited my tonal taste like this HRD.

#2476067 - 03/05/13 07:31 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think there is only 5lbs difference in the two amps. The DeVille only wheighs 55lbs. I say "only" because when you compare the Deluxe and the DeVille to other tubers in the same weight class, the Fender's output blows the others away...about 40watts on the Deluxe and 60watts on the DeVille. They are both fantastic amps with the volumes kicked down on the clean side too. Pound for pound they are just flat great if you keep them saddled with good tubes and the bias set. I'm [biased] when it comes to that Fender tube amp sound...they even make Gibsons sound great! poke

#2476125 - 03/06/13 06:57 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Larryz]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I've been using a Deville 4x10 for about 10 years now and love it. But I just bought a Egnater Rebel 30 last week and I'm in love all over again. Man, this thing is amazing! 2 channels - each one adjustable between 1 and 30 watts. It has a pair of 6V6s and a pair of EL84s. You can dial between either tube set or use a combination of both. Very versatile - really a great amp.

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2476168 - 03/06/13 11:15 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: SEHpicker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool...tube switch/blend concept... cool

#2476252 - 03/06/13 06:44 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: desertbluesman]
Peter Mac Offline

Loc: Calif.
Just purchased HRD III recently after playing through a deluxe reverb and a supersonic for years. Wanted to downsize equipment for gigging and this amp just rocked it. 40 watts with a Cannibis Rex speaker which is now broken in perfectly! It's such a simple user friendly amp with tone for days! Very nice clean channel along with drive channel and another button with even more drive! Fender hit it out of the park with this one!

#2476262 - 03/06/13 07:28 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Peter Mac]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome aboard Peter Mac!

#2476269 - 03/06/13 08:41 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Larryz]
Peter Mac Offline

Loc: Calif.
Thanks Larryz! Looking forward to a long ride here!

#2476298 - 03/07/13 04:26 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Peter Mac]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I've wanted a DeVille 4x10 for years, but I don't really need that much amp, much as I hate to admit it. I just have a thing for 4x10 amps. I play at church, they have a Peavey Classic 4x10 permanently set up on stage for all the guitarists to use, and it's a pretty decent amp too. But with the Mustang III I have now, I won't have any excuse (or money!) to buy the 4x10 of my dreams...besides, my little apartment already looks like an explosion in a music store...

#2476332 - 03/07/13 08:47 AM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: picker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think you made the right choice Picker as that Mustang III weighs about 20lbs less than my 4x10 DeVille and is a lot easier to pack around, it has some great punch and Fender sound too...

#2476652 - 03/08/13 05:42 PM Re: Broke out my Hot Rod Deluxe today [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

After a few days with the HRD, I switched to the new Super Champ X2 for today's 2nd practice session using the same guitar as I used for the 1st practice session. I like the heck ouytta the SCX2 just as much, and it sure is a bunch lighter. I think I got the professional amp department covered for now.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose