Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2475169 - 03/01/13 08:34 AM OT: The Pawn Stars
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
We walked down Las Vegas Blvd on Wednesday to the pawn shop where the Pawn Stars TV show is filmed. The line was half a block long to get in there. But we had a fan who was with us so we waited to get in. Took 15 minutes. I found some good buys for some of you guys in there. You can have a Super Bowl ring for a hundred grand. (I guess one of the ring winners had some hard times after retirement) There were several rings in the case.

There was a Paul Reed Smith guitar in there for sale as well as some older things whose maker I could not discern. There was an old roadster car in there, and some other interesting things, but one thing is for sure they are making a financial killing in there. All in all one of the finest tourist traps I have ever seen in one of the seediest neighborhoods I have ever walked into. I would need heavy armament to go there at night however.

GP Island
#2475190 - 03/01/13 09:45 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I still haven't caught the rerun of where some guy brought in a Fender Strat that he claimed was once CHUCK BERRY'S. Had his autograph and all, but I was busy with something at the time and didn't catch it all. I started a mistitled thread about it once. They also had MARY FORD'S nephew come in and sell them her old cream colored SG body type guitar and a lot of old documents and letters with Les' signature on them. I don't suppose you saw that one there, did you?

My wife hates the show because she says they lowball and cheat people a lot. I just tune in to see what interesting shit some of the people bring in.
Whitefang

#2475195 - 03/01/13 09:55 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: whitefang]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
No insult intended but on a business level:

It isn't lowball or cheating - they have to sell it at 2 times the cost in order to cover rent, electric, property taxes, salaries, etc and make a profit to stay in business.

Plus inventory financing is expensive while it's in a display case for a year or whatever until sold - someone has to pay interest on the corporate bank loans to keep items in stock.

Retail mark-up has to be double or more to survive unless it's a heavy volume operation.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2475196 - 03/01/13 09:57 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have never seen the show whitefang, I was up in Vegas with a bunch of folks who vacation here in Arizona, and one of them was a big fan of the show. So the wifey and I accompanied them on a walk down Las Vegas Blvd to the Pawn Shop, and went in and walked around while the fan enjoyed her time there. There was no SG guitar there, just the Paul Reed Smith Les Paul similar look alike single cutaway, and some other nameless items as well.

#2475202 - 03/01/13 10:14 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: Bartholomew]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
No insult intended but on a business level:

It isn't lowball or cheating - they have to sell it at 2 times the cost in order to cover rent, electric, property taxes, salaries, etc and make a profit to stay in business.

Plus inventory financing is expensive while it's in a display case for a year or whatever until sold - someone has to pay interest on the corporate bank loans to keep items in stock.

Retail mark-up has to be double or more to survive unless it's a heavy volume operation.

I understand all that, Bart. It doesn't bother ME. I live in "Hardcore Pawn" territory, and they do the same. Somehow, that doesn't bother people that much. Just when the "Pawn Stars" do. Go figure...
Whitefang

#2475211 - 03/01/13 10:31 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
The issue I've heard raised with the "Pawn Stars" show is that some of the finds are highly staged. This came up a while back, in a similar thread, and there was a good bit of discussion about that Les Paul, in particular, and how it found its way to that shop.

It's "reality" television, why shouldn't we expect it to be mostly BS?

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2475225 - 03/01/13 11:29 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
It's all BS - totally scripted & staged IMO. A couple of the dummies are probably getting laid all over the place cause they're tv stars now.

An example of being in the right place at the right time I guess.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2475302 - 03/01/13 02:43 PM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: Winston Psmith]
duff beer Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
The issue I've heard raised with the "Pawn Stars" show is that some of the finds are highly staged. This came up a while back, in a similar thread, and there was a good bit of discussion about that Les Paul, in particular, and how it found its way to that shop.

It's "reality" television, why shouldn't we expect it to be mostly BS?

Was it this Les Paul??

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/

#2475698 - 03/04/13 09:05 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: duff beer]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember that episode. But the LP I mentioned was one of the earlier SG body styles known as "Les Paul's" for a spell. It was cream colored, and brought in by a guy who said he was Mary Ford's nephew. His collection included a copy of a letter Les sent to Gibson voicing his dissatisfaction with the body style, and threatening a discontinuing of his relationship with Gibson. Now, WHY Ford's and I guess, PAUL'S nephew would go to a Las Vegas pawn shop to sell it always puzzled me, and made me think the whole occasion wasn't exactly kosher. He came in asking a quarter mill, and settled for $88,000!

It WAS a sweet looking axe, nonetheless.
Whitefang

#2475874 - 03/04/13 06:15 PM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: whitefang]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I still like the show. It's cool to see the old items brought in; whether real items to be sold or real items that are pretending to be sold.
My Pics

#2475943 - 03/05/13 06:48 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: duff beer]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Thanks, Duff Beer, I'd gotten the two confused. Seems even less likely that two guitars associated with Les Paul and Mary Ford should just happen to turn up in the same place, though.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2475990 - 03/05/13 10:10 AM Re: OT: The Pawn Stars [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have this fantasy where I'm watching an episode of "HOARDERS" and Mike Wolf and Frank Fritz of "American Pickers" walk in the house offering to buy stuff!

"Hey, JUNE! What do you gotta have for this BROKEN BEER BOTTLE?"
"NO! NO! Put it DOWN! It's NOT FOR SALE!"
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose