Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2474791 - 02/27/13 03:36 PM Favorite inexpensive router for body work?
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
It's time to finish up the Flying V From Hell, and I need to do some light body work to mount the replacement FR, so - what's everybody's favorite, affordable router, Dremel tool, what-have-you? Not something I'll use all the time, but with the collection of project guitars slowly growing, it's probably better to get my own router, than run a bunch of small jobs through the local repair shop. I'm also looking to finish this thing, so I can finally play it. Ugliest guitar I own, it's going to be fun to whip it out in public. . . .

Anyhow, any suggestions, tips and warnings are welcome. There's a great hardware store nearby, and Home Despot, too, so I don't have far to go to find one.

Now, if I could only figure out why Epiphone mounted the locking nut behind the regular one!?! Time to warm up the paint scraper. . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

GP Island
#2474799 - 02/27/13 04:04 PM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Now, if I could only figure out why Epiphone mounted the locking nut behind the regular one!?! Time to warm up the paint scraper. . . .

To enable all the hassle of a FR with the binding of a conventional nut!?

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2474901 - 02/28/13 06:55 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: harvey

Of course, how foolish of me!!

#2474916 - 02/28/13 07:58 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
When I get home ill check what black and decked I have , works great , was on sale last xmas for about 120 dollars , and it will impress you as to simple the depth gauge works as well as the vacume (vacume not included)attachment for keeping saw dust under control.
Lok

#2474927 - 02/28/13 08:34 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Lokair]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks, Lokair, I'll check back later.

#2474940 - 02/28/13 09:12 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Lokair]
russclan Offline

Dremels are great for stuff like binding channels and very shallow interior plunge work, but anything deeper than, say, 1/8" is best left to a proper router. You could, technically, use it to go as deep as the base will allow (taken in multiple shallow passes)...but you'd probably burn through a few bits in the process. My shop has two Dremels, and even though I've had a "heavy duty" base for it (the one from Stew-Mac) for many years, I rarely use it for routing.

If you're only getting one router, get a plunge. Fixed-base models can be used for interior work, but that's a technique best left to experienced woodworkers.

For infrequent occasional use, I'd look at this one:

Black and Decker

If you'd like to step up the quality a bit and go with something a little more robust, then check this one out:

DeWalt

We could go further into the pros and cons of the different brands, like ease of bit change, 1/4 vs 1/2 inch collets, etc., but they all do the same thing, really, and you just need to become comfortable with the one you get.

I've been woodworking for many years, and IMHO, the router is the single most dangerous power tool in the shop. My one and only (so far) serious shop accident involved the router. It sliced about 3/8" off the tip of my middle finger of my fretting hand nearly completely off, through the bone. I was fortunate enough to get an extremely gifted plastic surgeon to reattach it. It was over a year before I could ease back into playing.

A few basic rules:

-Wear safety glasses
-Use a face mask, preferably a respirator-type, but the basic ones will do
-Maintain a firm grip on the router
-Move the router in the direction which is opposite to the rotation of the bit
-Work to depth using multiple, shallow passes
-Use the correct bit for the job
-No long hair (put it in a pony tail and tuck it in the back of your shirt), dangly jewelry or clothing
-Use a shop apron, if you have one
-Wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt, sleeves rolled down and buttoned
-Use push sticks/handles, if the router is mounted in a table
-Make sure the work is sufficiently secure (clamped)

Ok, that's enough of my wall of text. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your project.

#2474986 - 02/28/13 11:42 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: russclan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks, russclan, for the recommendations, and the warnings. I used to work in a professional woodshop, and I've spent some years as a landscaper, so I have all respect for power tools with spinning blades, or anything that moves faster than my fingers. I have safety gear, and I cut off my hair around when Dio died, so that's not an issue anymore. (I figured it was time for all old headbangers to finally give it up, although I haven't gone for the Rob Halford look, quite yet.)

Both of those look like more machine than I need for the job at hand, but I'll bookmark that Black & Decker, for later, just in case. That's right about what I'm looking to spend. Whatever I do, I'm planning on finishing the V this coming week, so I'll have pics . . . and, with any luck, I'll still have ten wiggling digits when I'm done.

Edited by Winston Psmith (02/28/13 11:45 AM)
Edit Reason: brain cramp

#2475114 - 03/01/13 02:59 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

Of course, how foolish of me!!

Actually, I remember some high end Charvels with the locking nut after the nut...

Looking forward to the pics smile

#2475126 - 03/01/13 05:47 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Actually, I remember some high end Charvels with the locking nut after the nut...

I'll have to see if I can find some photos of those, although I still can't imagine why they'd do it, unless they were just retro-fitting the locking nut onto necks that were already finished. I can almost see that, given that Epiphone had just started making the V in Korea, and locking trems were still pretty new.

Heading up to hardware store today, to see what's there. Happy Friday, everybody.

#2475143 - 03/01/13 07:26 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
My BC Rich ST III has a regular nut, then the locking nut behind it. I ust keep some penicl lead (graphite) in the nut slots, and dont' have any major issues with it.

#2475185 - 03/01/13 09:17 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Danzilla]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Danzilla, have you got a photo of that?

Part of the reason I'm planning on removing the regular nut is to make room for the new locking nut - otherwise I need to trim the truss rod cover, which is probably less work, but not as neat looking, IMHO. Nothing on this guitar has been a drop-in, as far as the hardware. Part of the fun, I guess.

#2475188 - 03/01/13 09:37 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Did you INTENTIONALLY call it "Home DESPOT"?

I thought that was kinda funny...
Whitefang

#2475207 - 03/01/13 10:27 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

WF - that's what everyone I know calls it. Kind of the way we call GC "The Evil Empire".

#2475235 - 03/01/13 12:12 PM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Danzilla, have you got a photo of that?

Part of the reason I'm planning on removing the regular nut is to make room for the new locking nut - otherwise I need to trim the truss rod cover, which is probably less work, but not as neat looking, IMHO. Nothing on this guitar has been a drop-in, as far as the hardware. Part of the fun, I guess.

Not a closeup of the nut, but you can see it. I'll see if I can take another picture over the weekend.

#2475333 - 03/01/13 04:56 PM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

I'll have to see if I can find some photos of those, although I still can't imagine why they'd do it, unless they were just retro-fitting the locking nut onto necks that were already finished. I can almost see that, given that Epiphone had just started making the V in Korea, and locking trems were still pretty new.

Heading up to hardware store today, to see what's there. Happy Friday, everybody.

Yeah, I'm thinking late 1980s, as the superstrat thing was taking hold. All this locking trem talk is making me miss doing dive bombs!

#2475392 - 03/02/13 05:28 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
WF - that's what everyone I know calls it. Kind of the way we call GC "The Evil Empire".

Ah, I see. Sorta like the way we folks around here call it "Meijer's Shifty Acres" or the "ABC Whorehouse".
Whitefang

#2475446 - 03/02/13 10:15 AM Re: Favorite inexpensive router for body work? [Re: Danzilla]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

WOW! Thanks, Danzilla. Looks like a metal nut, too? Weird. I'll look around online and see if I can hunt up some other photos, now that I know what to look for.

It looks like you've had some fun modding that guitar. Is that a Carvin pup at the bridge, and three mini-toggle switches? BTW, good work putting the ball ends up by the tuners. It took us a little while to catch on to that trick in the guitar store, when we first started re-stringing FR's.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose