Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2474521 - 02/26/13 03:16 PM Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
Well, turns out, low and behold, my "Super Strat" has a 17-inch neck...wow, not for me.

So how do people feel about compound necks? Seems like a great concept. The one I'm looking at is 9.5/12/14, which seems like a good balance.

Go figure my wrist was hurting when deciding to get back into guitar...bar chord pain!

GP Island
#2474529 - 02/26/13 03:42 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
You're either Limited to a company like Warmoth, which makes excellent products, or a custom luthier. That's gonna drive the price up. If that's not a concern, go for it. I've never heard of a 17 inch radius on any Fender. Ya mentioned being able to tolerate your guitar, but find the neck unworkable. If ya don't LOOOOVE the guitar, I think ya may resent the money you'll spend trying to make it into something it's never gonna be.

I dunno what the fuss is with compound radius necks. Not a bad idea, but not a game changer, or they would have dethroned the incumbent favorites.

#2474530 - 02/26/13 03:46 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Bluesape]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Oh no, not investing in my current guitar. This is for an all new guitar. Compound seems to be a pretty prevalent feature.

Yes indeed, the Japanese HM Super Strat from 1989 seems to have a 17" neck

#2474533 - 02/26/13 03:51 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

If for some reason, anyone is curious ;-)

HM Strat

#2474543 - 02/26/13 04:35 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
10k Club

OK - much safer endeavor! I'd prolly stick with Warmoth if compound radius has become a requirement, since they really own that market. I have a Warmoth neck on a Strat-ish body, and it plays fine, but doesn't feel as natural to me as my Fenders, Blades, ESP, and Godins. It'll never unseat any of those, which is saying nothing against it, it just isn't .....spectacular....like the Blades are. I don't even know the radius. I have gigged with it, and will again when some electronic gremlin within it is dispatched, but it's always been the backup axe at gigs, but I admit to being spoiled with too many stunning guitars. It could certainly fill a Strat's role if wired up like one. Dunno that I'd pay more for a spec'ed out Warmouth than a nice Fender or G&L, cuz like all parts guitars, they don't retain much resale value. Ya can get a fabulous instrument if you're prepared to pay, but it better be a keeper, cuz you'll take a real bath on resale. Someone spent huge money on the one I have. I got it for $200.00.

#2474545 - 02/26/13 04:41 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Bluesape]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

More along the lines of compound is the standard neck on the new Fender American Deluxe...not looking to swap out.

I have a friend in town with a similar compound Warmouth, that I'll check out. Not looking to swap the neck...just that no one within 300 miles has a compound neck in stock for me to try out!

I'm also pondering HSS format as well, was strictly thinking SSS initially...but definitely some advantages with HSS.

#2474552 - 02/26/13 05:21 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
10k Club

HSS Strats just don't look right....thinking resale again.....SSS and an additional HH guitar, like a LP is how I'd go, budget allowing. There is no single axe that does it all. The Jim Tyler Variax and the Music Man Game Changer are current guitars seriously tackling that challenge. I have 2 Godin Freeway Classics that are HSH, and they do a decent job of bridging the gap between SSS and HH, but truthfully, they don't sonically replace either. Great guitars, but ultimately expressing their own signiature voices.

#2474564 - 02/26/13 06:52 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Bluesape]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

on the other hand HSS is very suitable for guys who like to go from country to metal in the comfort of a curvy body.
that is the way i like a Strat.

as much as i love single coils i still like a nice bucker in the bridge for the angry stuff.

rock it, i will

#2474629 - 02/27/13 04:59 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Guitarzan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Fusker, Jackson guitars have a compound radius neck, so if you see one of them around, pick it up, just to get a feel for it. I found the necks very comfortable, I jsut wasn't taken with the guitars themselves. In terms of design, they seem to lean towards a Metal aesthetic, and a lot of their current models are inexpensive guitars, made overseas. Not quite what you're looking for.

I have to respectfully disagree with Bluesape about the H-S-S layout. While I do agree about the look, it's a good way to switch tones on your guitar quickly, without having to switch guitars. You might look into twin blade HB's or some of the small Seymour Duncan's that will fit into a SC space - Duncan JB's.
Duncan Vintage Rails
I'd also think about a tone control for the HB.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2474678 - 02/27/13 08:48 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Winston Psmith]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

I get both sides on the HSS or SSS layout. Seems like, aesthetically, might be better to start with SSS and then change out to a single twin blade if desired.

#2474694 - 02/27/13 09:24 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I personally believe that it's all a solution to a problem that never existed.

My 7.25 guitars are set-up properly and never choke but I usually play better on Gibsons or Gretsch - probably due to the scale length more than the radius.

Someone please tell me why a compound radius would be required ?

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2474707 - 02/27/13 09:59 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Bartholomew]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

I've never had one to date...but I believe the theory is the lower radius near the nut makes chord work easier on the hands for a four hour show. While the greater girth from the 12th fret up makes soloing easier.

Edited by Fusker (02/27/13 09:59 AM)
Edit Reason: English enhancement

#2474729 - 02/27/13 11:34 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Guitarzan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Originally Posted By: Guitarzan
on the other hand HSS is very suitable for guys who like to go from country to metal in the comfort of a curvy body.
that is the way i like a Strat.

as much as i love single coils i still like a nice bucker in the bridge for the angry stuff.

I like the SSH for going to country as opposed to metal although it probably works great either way...if you're playing jazzy old rock and roll but need some low volume country twang, just switch to the bridge humbucker pup and you'll get all the treble you're looking for...I have active EMG's: SSS HH and SSH Strats and they all work great and provide a lot of variety. I've heard Joe Bardin twin blades on Teles that sound great, I just haven't heard them on Strats, so can't commnent yet on them...

#2475718 - 03/04/13 10:10 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Bartholomew]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
I personally believe that it's all a solution to a problem that never existed.

My 7.25 guitars are set-up properly and never choke but I usually play better on Gibsons or Gretsch - probably due to the scale length more than the radius.

Someone please tell me why a compound radius would be required ?

I can't tell you. I don't like compound radius. I never flat out until it's time for a fret job. So, give me r10" and SS fret wire. I'll call you in 6 years for a fret job. Bending up high on a short radius board is such an effortless feel.

If I were to ask for a compound radius, I'd ask for a reverse compound. 9 up high and 10 at the nut...

I think the theory is that longer radius up high provides more accurate intonation between strings or something. I can only imagine that people that grow up playing on Gibsons like it flat?

#2475786 - 03/04/13 01:40 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Terrell]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Lots of good info, thanks guys.

#2491902 - 05/09/13 11:12 AM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: Fusker]
russclan Offline

Hey Fusker, did you get your new axe yet?

Thought I'd revive this, as I know you were considering G & L, and I just took delivery of my ASAT, ordered back in Feb. around the time you first inquired. It's soooo very sweet, well worth the wait, and the set-up is just stellar.

So, if you're still considering one but can't find one you like in the wild, better order if ya wanna see it by the end of the summer...

#2491957 - 05/09/13 01:43 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: russclan]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Ahhh yes.

All things considered, and there are many, I'm 99% going with a Jeff Beck Fender unless some outrageous deal pops up. This is for my birthday in a month, but I worked with my Sweetwater guy to not have the 30 day trial start until I get my hands on it, which won't be until June 11...wife should be ordering it on Monday.

I will definitely post photos!

You need to post some pics of your new axe. G & L's are without a doubt, awesome.

Edited by Fusker (05/09/13 01:45 PM)
Edit Reason: English Enhancement

#2491959 - 05/09/13 01:46 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: russclan]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I for one like the HSS Strat guitars. One good option is to use a Duncan Lil 59'er in the rear position instead of the single coil. It has almost as much oomph as a full sized humbucking pup in a single coil size.

I have never been a fan of stock Strat or Tele guitars because the pickups don't have enough oomph, and the guitars are too bright. On my Strat style guitars, I have one with a HSS set up, and an Agile Strat Clone with Fender noisless pups. On the Agile I have to pump up the booster and EQ it darker to get anywhere near the tone I like.

#2491968 - 05/09/13 02:48 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FWIW. For me pickup selection totally depends on the gig. In my case I play with a guy who plays Les Pauls and other Humbuggy guitars through a Marshall. I'm a firm believer a 2nd guitar sound sound different. In my case I'm now playing Teles through 6L6 based amps. I would post a video someone put on YouTube but the audio sucks. We were too much for the camcorder I guess. But it shows if the 2 guitars contrasting. If they didn't it would a mess.

Edited by CEB (05/09/13 02:50 PM)

#2492027 - 05/09/13 08:05 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: CEB]
russclan Offline

Sure, here ya go...not the best quality as my only camera atm is my phone, and it tends to wash out the colors a bit. It's close, the blue is a bit deeper, but not much:

[img:center]http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/russclan1/media/20130509_212636.jpg.html[/img]

General specs are:

Swamp ash w/clear blue finish, "slim" q-sawn neck w/rosewood board (12" radius), vintage-size ss frets.

Anyway, grats on your new strat! I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Hmmm...pic didn't get attached. I'll have to figure that out tomorrow, it's getting late and I'm tired...

Edited by russclan (05/09/13 08:07 PM)
Edit Reason: photo not added to post

#2492050 - 05/09/13 11:04 PM Re: Picking My New Guitar Part 4 - Neck [Re: russclan]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Oh wow, really like that blue...very nice!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose