Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2473584 - 02/22/13 11:05 AM OT but some how still musical
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
Ok , I am on vacation in Cozumel Mexico . No instruments , broke my ear buds so essentially none of my own music . Just the sugar pop in the lobby , and at the pool bars . So I go buy guitar magazine and just look at the tab and read about some gear.
I hate being on vacation for the first few days . As I am looking over the tab , it dawns on me why my playing the last three months has been below average . I am trying essentially to play music , but not feeling it , I look over the chord progressions in a few of the tabed songs and I can hear em . I can feel em , they are alone , they all have my tone , no solos just chords . It's a wake up call I have needed . As any one can tell you to take a break a real break from playing and just use your mind .

Lok on smoke

GP Island
#2473622 - 02/22/13 12:46 PM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Lokair]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I don't think you're OT Lok, I think you're just getting into it! Have fun on the beach under some shade with a couple of pina coladas... cool

#2473822 - 02/23/13 11:52 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Larryz]
SEHpicker Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Don't mean to get off subject - but while you are there be sure to check out the east side of the island - awesome beaches and little shacks that sell cold beer & fish tacos. One of my favorite places ever. In fact it's a great place to ponder music, the universe, your next beer...

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2474083 - 02/25/13 07:56 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: SEHpicker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
You got all THAT from looking over a BAR TAB?
Whitefang

#2474099 - 02/25/13 09:18 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't think he was looking at a Bar Tab, I think he was looking at a guitar magazine article. He could see the chords and in his mind he could hear them without having a guitar in his hands. When he gets back home he's going to pick up that geetar and let her rip! Very cool idea and I predict he'll be playing some heavy chord solos without the smoke and mirrors, and with memories of that sugar pop in the lobby... cool

Edited by Larryz (02/25/13 09:21 AM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2474888 - 02/28/13 06:00 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Larryz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
It IS true we all need a break from the routine, however we go about getting it!

#2474912 - 02/28/13 07:51 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Larryz]
Lokair Offline

Drank plenty of tequila based drinks , some rum based drinks , more than enuff beer, and a few drinks with unknown types and quantities of alcohol. Stopped at two bars on the east coast , el diablos had a few cool beers . Then off to cocnuts for some shrimp queso s and a few more beers , and local secenry (coconuts has a rich history of women's coconuts ) . Then went to town and did a little junk shopping. All in all a great vacation . But you know your mind is screwed up when you ask the if you could help cut the grass (they said no ) so you just don't drink your self stupid every day .

So far so much Lok smoke .

#2475411 - 03/02/13 07:14 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Lokair]
Lokair Offline

Guys I am back , my playing while physically not nearly what it should be(muscle memory type thing will take a week)is better. I have decided to stay the course practice chords. Chords chords chords , everything added 7ths ,9ths ect... . Now I am playing songs not trying solos. As to which I have taken on a reading music again, I was a sight reader for bass as a youth, now to get competent no reason to get sight thing down for now. Its a whole new guitar playing for me. And I am happy with my tone which is odd for me. VACATION from guitar is a good thing , not dwelling on everything is great thing, Not listening to my preferred bands was an eye opener.

Lok is back and gonna try to play less (time) but more (songs and chords) .

#2475459 - 03/02/13 11:25 AM Re: OT but some how still musical [Re: Lokair]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome home Lok. Yep, I'm getting more into chords and chord leads to compliment my solo vocal stuff!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose