Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2472919 - 02/20/13 12:01 PM DAW upgrade
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
I've been using Mackie Tracktion 2 as my audio editing software for several years now and I'm about ready to retire it. It's not a bad program, but Mackie's gotten out of the business and stopped supporting it, and now it's at the point where I can't run certain plugins or my Novation midi controller properly.

Anyway, long story short...I don't know what to get next. I use a pretty basic PC with Windows XP (!) and don't record direct right now, but at some point I might upgrade to a better computer and an audio interface so I'd like a program that could upgrade with me. For now, I'm just editing WAV files that I've recorded on a separate multi-track recorder and transferred into the computer. I do run a lot of plugins.

I think Pro Tools is out for me - too expensive and I don't need or want most of that capability. I know Audacity is decent and free, but it won't run Novation's Automap software and I want to take advantage of that.

Can anyone comment on these options:
Ableton Live (more for live/DJ work?)
Cubase
Reaper
Reason
Sonar
Studio One

Thanks!

#2472945 - 02/20/13 12:52 PM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Russkull]
Griffinator Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Sonar was pretty good last time I used it - back when they first launched Producer.

#2472994 - 02/20/13 04:23 PM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Griffinator]
stevie b Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Russ,

I used Tracktion as my primary DAW for about 6 years. Loved it.

I finally switched to Studio One when I purchased a studiolive board.
The board is great, Studio one has been a little tough to get used to. In order to finally get the Studiolive working I switched from PC to Mac, The hardware works perfectly.
The DAW is quarky. I'm begiining to learn the flow which involves many short cut keys for the same efficiency.
Tracktion is now back. See link - http://www.tracktion.com/

No longer under Mackie, and supported by the original designer. I'm really curious how this will work out, and almost ready to switch back.
Worth a Look

Edited by stevie b (02/20/13 04:24 PM)

#2473057 - 02/21/13 04:19 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: stevie b]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Studio One is pretty awesome, in my experience.

#2473127 - 02/21/13 08:54 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: stevie b]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: stevie b
Tracktion is now back. See link - http://www.tracktion.com/

No longer under Mackie, and supported by the original designer. I'm really curious how this will work out, and almost ready to switch back.
Worth a Look

I hadn't heard anything about that - thanks!

I am still concerned that they'll never be big enough for support to be available from other companies like Novation. I guess we'll see.

#2473129 - 02/21/13 08:56 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Griffinator

Did you use it for live recording, audio editing, or both? What specifically did you like about it?

#2473346 - 02/21/13 04:34 PM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Russkull]
stevie b Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
So far, I have used Studio one for mixing Captture sessions from live gigs and for capture sessions during rehearsal. Capture is the quick record software off the studio live mixer.

The software works well. I have not had any audio issues, memory issues, etc.
It includes good inserts and also no problems supporting add ins such as Amplitude or Ozone Mastering.
I struggle some with splitting and dragging clips on multiple tracks. It has the ability to do so, but I'm still learning the details.
I have not had the opportunity yet to experiment with punch in and punch out, but will need to figure that out soon with the new project.
It seems pretty solid, probably only limited by my ability.
BTW, I don't use features such as virtual instruments or quantizing, so I can't provide feedback on those aspects.

#2473467 - 02/22/13 05:53 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Russkull
Originally Posted By: Griffinator

Did you use it for live recording, audio editing, or both? What specifically did you like about it?

What I liked the most about it were the very, very usable (and not very CPU-hungry) effects at mixdown. It's kind of a pain for multichannel recording because of how one must go about "arming" tracks for recording, but once you have a template set up, you can save that template and reuse it.

#2489014 - 04/29/13 09:06 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Griffinator]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Quick update to this: I decided to go the Cubase route. Other than Pro Tools, it seems to be the de facto software for PC land and was the most compatible with everything I already have. Studio One was a close second.

I'm also picking up a new-to-me business spec quad core with enough room for 32MB of memory (!), courtesy of my brother who works at HP, so things should run a lot smoother and faster. Now I just need to learn how to mix music well...

#2489022 - 04/29/13 09:44 AM Re: DAW upgrade [Re: Russkull]
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Cubase isn't a bad product from what I hear, and all the ReWire options give you a wide menu of plug-and-play products to interface with it seamlessly.

Moderator:  Griffinator, Griffinator