Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2472840 - 02/20/13 08:23 AM Slightly OT: Where do I plug in?
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Got an email from Fender Guitars, promoting this -
VW Beetle Fender Edition

My question is, where the hell do I plug in my guitar!?!? You build a Fender sound system into a car, and there's no Input jack?

Remember the First Act model, the Nigel Tufnel ads? That one came with a guitar, and you could plug it into the car.
First Act VW

Give me a Jeep, rigged up by Orange, or maybe Vox, and we'll talk.

PS: Okay, I found it.

Edited by Winston Psmith (02/20/13 08:37 AM)
Edit Reason: Idiot . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

GP Island
#2472846 - 02/20/13 08:36 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I have the Jeep and an acoustic guitar, but if I wanted to plug in, I would pack my little Pig Nose battery amp with me...

#2472847 - 02/20/13 08:39 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Okay, I found a photo with what looks like the Input Jack, so I'm an idiot. Still, for the price of a new car, it should at least come with a MIM Strat.

#2472862 - 02/20/13 09:16 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think I could talk'em down $1200 and buy myself an American Standard Strat...

#2472942 - 02/20/13 12:48 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
First thing you do is swap out the fuel injectors for EL84's....

#2472954 - 02/20/13 01:15 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Okay, I found a photo with what looks like the Input Jack, so I'm an idiot. Still, for the price of a new car, it should at least come with a MIM Strat.
For that money it should come with a Blackface twin reissue and a American Deluxe Strat, rawk

Maybe you plug in where the cigarette lighter is on standard cars. cool

#2472975 - 02/20/13 02:20 PM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: desertbluesman]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Guitar > POD > Aux Jack

My FJ actually has a 400W inverted outlet, so I could just bring the whole half stack rig in the back...

#2473071 - 02/21/13 05:48 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: desertbluesman]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
For that money it should come with a Blackface twin reissue and a American Deluxe Strat, rawk

Maybe you plug in where the cigarette lighter is on standard cars. cool

That's kind of what it looks like, if I'm looking at the right photo.

#2473117 - 02/21/13 08:36 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
It's definitely a big marketing gimmick aimed squarely at aging boomers. Thanks, but Fender has zero traction in the hi fi stereo world, so that is really not where they should put their promotional dollars. However, I SERIOUSLY like the sunburst dashboard, but they could have gone with some tan tolex upholstery, silver grille cloth on the speakers, Tele chrome knobs, etc, finishing touches that really said "Fender".

#2473136 - 02/21/13 09:14 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
It's definitely a big marketing gimmick aimed squarely at aging boomers.

Thank you, Scott. More or less sums up my feelings. The old rocker's version of the boombox-on-wheels. Even worse, I can easily envision some imbecile cruising through rush hour traffic with a guitar in their lap. Waiting for the PSA. . . .

DON'T SHRED & DRIVE!

#2473141 - 02/21/13 09:24 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...

#2473170 - 02/21/13 10:06 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: picker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker

Very Cool Picker...now that's what I'm talk'en bout! It definately puts Scotts' suggestions to the test. I like the idea of Tele and Strat knobs, tuners, whammy bars and other Fender guitar parts and woods incorporated into the dash, door knobs, etc...

Winston's "Don't Shred and Drive" is cool too... cool

Edited by Larryz (02/21/13 10:10 AM)

#2473171 - 02/21/13 10:10 AM Re: Slightly OT: Where do I plug in? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Coming in 2014...a hybrid with a theremin!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose