Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2472472 - 02/18/13 05:55 PM Another player looking for tab help
RockitQueen Offline

Hi everyone, I could really use some help in figuring out the tabs to the solo in the song "Leaving Here" by The Birds. I just need the solo (I'm terrible at this)...here is the correct version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOwbuM74_Y&feature=youtu.be

Can you please help me??? I'd appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance!

--RockitQueen

GP Island
#2472485 - 02/18/13 06:43 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: RockitQueen]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://chartarchive.org/r/3831 <---sorry may be hard to find for this reason but welcome aboard Rockit!

#2472487 - 02/18/13 06:50 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: Larryz]
RockitQueen Offline

Ack, I know...I haven't been able to find anything on this particular version. I've been trying to figure it out on my own and have been unsuccessful. I'm not good at this at all. If anyone has a good ear and can at least help me figure out the notes, I would be forever appreciative. I'm sorry if this is not the right forum for this.

Thank you for the welcome!!

#2472503 - 02/18/13 08:30 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: RockitQueen]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I don't use or write TAB, but with a listen i can tell that song is probably in the key of A, and the lead break goes to the VI (F sharp).

Try going up to the 14th fret and playing a standard blues lick (fret the high E string at the 14th fret while bending the B string at the 17th fret...)

the entire solo is just blues licks in the F sharp blues scale at the 14th fret.

#2472505 - 02/18/13 08:47 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Take position one on this chart below but play it at the 14th fret instead of the second. All the licks he plays are from this scale using the 4 high strings.

This is a simple and obvious blues rock solo. If I may suggest how to find these things better on your own:

1) learn the underlying chord progressions first: with the exception of free jazz, solos will be built on scales related to the chord progressions under the solo sections.

2) forget the TAB, try understanding that you're building a "vocabulary" of chord progressions every time you learn a song. The songs you already know have patterns and chord sequences and licks that are repeated in millions of other songs. Take some time to learn the similarities in what you already know, that unlocks tons of stuff in the future.

#2472507 - 02/18/13 08:50 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

and welcome to the board!

#2472508 - 02/18/13 08:55 PM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

to show you what I mean... if you learn the Fsharp - A - B chord progression under the solo of this song...

you now pretty much know "Sorry" by The Easybeats, too! And that same 14th fret lick from the solo of the other song comes around at the end of the song.

#2472532 - 02/19/13 01:50 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
There are some bends- bent notes- that might be throwing you off at first. Am I right?

These are the types of things that, while relatively simple to actually play, can really confuse and frustrate a player at first when trying to figure out a part "by ear". In time these sorts of things become much more familiar. Don't let it bother you! Be persistent and overcome. You may benefit greatly from a little one-on-one time with a good instructor, or at least a more experienced player who can figure out some of these things and show you in person. SO much easier to convey and understand that way, than to type and read about it! crazy

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2472536 - 02/19/13 05:01 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
RockitQueen Offline

Thanks so much, everyone! This is so helpful and I really appreciate it.

#2472573 - 02/19/13 08:17 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: RockitQueen]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: RockitQueen
Thanks so much, everyone! This is so helpful and I really appreciate it.

smile

#2472583 - 02/19/13 08:45 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: RockitQueen]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RockitQueen
Ack, I know...I haven't been able to find anything on this particular version. I've been trying to figure it out on my own and have been unsuccessful. I'm not good at this at all. If anyone has a good ear and can at least help me figure out the notes, I would be forever appreciative. I'm sorry if this is not the right forum for this.

Thank you for the welcome!!

I know you'll find that this is the right forum RocketQueen...and we love helping fellow players out...Great Charts P90, these are the exact same pentatonic blues scales I use too! cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi4DoWrP2GU <--- so here's how we did it in the good old days...just play this record from 1:42 to 1:58 over and over while you pick out the lick! Doesn't have to be perfect...Good luck with it and have fun! Thank God for Youtube... cool

ps. +1 on using P90's position 1 chart starting on the 14th fret! You can also practice it at the 2nd fret with the same scale chart. For chords I would use F# A B A F# between licks...I know you'll get'er done...

Edited by Larryz (02/19/13 10:03 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2472597 - 02/19/13 09:35 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
Have to say when I was doing studio sessions in those years we intentionally came up with Lead lines that sounded easy but were a bit difficult to copy.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2472622 - 02/19/13 11:14 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: Bartholomew]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
Have to say when I was doing studio sessions in those years we intentionally came up with Lead lines that sounded easy but were a bit difficult to copy.

cool

#2472627 - 02/19/13 11:40 AM Re: Another player looking for tab help [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Back in 66 we didn't have much choice but to copy from records. My buddy had the ear and the talent to copy the Ventures leads pretty much note for note for the entire song and do up to 40 or so songs. I covered the rhythm guitar and could get the chords, and riff sounds and our bass player was better at it than either one of us. Our drummer could keep up pretty good too. Just last Saturday night I played with the lead player (I've known since 66) and drummer (I've known since 59)...we never kept track of where that bass player ran off to.

We had a blast and this thread reminds me of those good old days when we would spend countless hours wearing out Ventures albums trying to cop the Ventures sound before we knew what a tribute band was. cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose