Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2471958 - 02/16/13 08:07 AM Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?)
eric.B Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi, I haven't been here for quite a while.

I'm in the market for a synth/stagepiano for playing live with a band. I tried a Yamaha MOX 8 and Korg Krome 88 today and think about spending something like that.
I checked some other keyboards but don't like the synth/organ action of 61 or 73/76 keybeds.

I like the keybed of the MOX better than the Krome but, when not comparing 1:1, the Krome can do the job for me.

I really liked the Grand Piano (or what's it called) of the MOX but didn't care much for the Krome one - just not my taste.
However, I did prefer many of the other sounds of the Krome over the MOX.

Also the color-touchscreen of the Krome seems nice and I prefer the more sober layout of control buttons.

So basically I want the sounds and screen of the Krome with the keybed and grand piano of the MOX in one keyboard...

As that's not going to happen, does anyone have experience with one or both of these boards and would like to give some advice? I checked some threads but didn't find a direct answer to this.

If anyone has another suggestion then I would appreciate to hear it.

Cheers, Eric

Edited by eric.B (02/16/13 08:08 AM)

KC Island
#2471960 - 02/16/13 08:27 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
D-Bones Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn
Yamaha P-105 + Krome 61?

#2471964 - 02/16/13 08:36 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
Tombstone88 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
I don't know about the Krome but if there are some sounds you feel are lacking in MOX8, you can always add a library. The Vintage keys and B's Knees are popular addons. You find them and other accessories along with an excellent support forum at motifator.com

I really like my MOX8 it has a ton on power I haven't even begun to tap into.

#2471966 - 02/16/13 08:38 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
voxpops Offline
Gold Member

Eric, I owned the Krome 88 for a month (eventually went with the SV-1 instead), but have only played the MOX briefly in-store.

The Krome's Grand Piano is not my favorite-sounding digital piano, but it has the advantage of eight layers, so it can be very expressive. When I played the MOX it paled in comparison to the more expensive Yamahas, and I don't think it was as dynamic as the Krome, even if it was slightly more pleasing, tonally. There are many different iterations of the base piano in the Korg, and although they share the same samples, they do provide a reasonable variety of "voicing." I was less than enthusiastic about some of the Krome's notes in the middle register, which were a little "plunky," but the unlooped samples provide the bass end with a much more natural-sounding decay. Overall, I was surprised that the gigabytes devoted to the piano didn't result in a bigger difference when compared to other digital samples.

The action on the Krome reminded me of some Casio Privia boards I've played in the past - a sort of fluid-damped feel that takes a little adjusting to. Despite this slightly amorphous feel, it works really well. I had no problems with repetition, and the key return seems commendably swift. I can't remember the MOX feel too well, but I played the P-105 with GHS action recently, and it was OK, but nothing special. If I had to choose, I think I would take Korg's NH over GHS.

Not being used to Yamaha's GUI, I found the Krome far easier to navigate. The touch-screen is fast and intuitive. The buttons on the other hand have tiny labels and disappear into a black hole on stage.

Most of the other sounds are typical Korg, but sound lush and quite expensive. The EPs offer quite a lot of variety, and are generally very good, but lack the vibrancy of those in the SV-1.

I can't offer any advice, but would say that I think the Krome offers very good value for the price being asked. Although both Korg and Yamaha tend to downgrade the sound quality of their less expensive boards so as not to encroach on their flagship territory, I would say the Krome is sonically slightly ahead of the MOX - but that's from a possibly shaky memory in respect of the MOX. However, I do remember being a little disappointed in the audio quality of the Yamaha, whereas I wasn't with the Korg.

http://www.amazon.com/author/richardspanswick

#2471973 - 02/16/13 08:51 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: Tombstone88]
AnotherScott Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I would look at D-Bon's approach. I don't know specifically how the P-105 sound compares with the MOX sound. But you have clearly indicated that no one board has everything what you want, which leads to the obvious answer, consider two boards. In this case, the price is even the same. Plus you end up with an extra unweighted action, better suited for playing organ/synth sounds; more keys to work with and create splits over (potentially reducing distracting button pushing within a song); and backup to get through a gig if a board fails or gets damaged.

The only downside I can think of to be aware of on the P-105 in particular is that it does not have a standard MIDI port, so it cannot easily integrate with the Krome in such a way that the either board could play sounds located in the other, which is a nice facility to have, but may not matter to you. The P-35 and P-95 have the standard MIDI port, but they have a different piano sound. There is a third-party adapter that should add that facility to the P-105, but it is almost $200 and another thing to have to hook up. Though it is something you could add later if you're not sure you care about that functionality now.

#2471975 - 02/16/13 09:09 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: AnotherScott]
eric.B Offline

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

D-Bon and AnotherScott: A double setup came in mind but I was thinking of trying to find a one-board solution as a start and maybe adding something over time. I'll give that road some more thought.

Toana88: thanks for that link, good to know about those addons.

voxpops: I also own a Yamaha CVP-303 home piano and I'm used to its keybed action and piano sound. To me the Korg action seemed, like you said, fluid-damped and the Yamaha felt more direct. Being used to a Yamaha UI, nonetheless I found the Krome UI more intuitive and easy to use.
I was wearing my own IEM's and thought many of the Korg instruments sounded more impressive than the MOX. Could be the FX.
Why did you switch to the SV-1 if I may ask?

I was browsing some Youtube videos and also came across the Kurzweil PC3-LE8. They are more rare around here, can anyone tell how they relate to the MOX and Krome?

Cheers, Eric

Edited by eric.B (02/16/13 09:11 AM)

#2471977 - 02/16/13 09:15 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: voxpops]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
The Krome's Grand Piano is not my favorite-sounding digital piano, but it has the advantage of eight layers, so it can be very expressive. When I played the MOX...I don't think it was as dynamic as the Krome, even if it was slightly more pleasing, tonally.
I was less than enthusiastic about some of the Krome's notes in the middle register, which were a little "plunky,"
Overall, I was surprised that the gigabytes devoted to the piano didn't result in a bigger difference when compared to other digital samples.

I had the same experience with the Kronos and MOX. I could recognize certain advantages to the Kronos, but I found the MOX more pleasing, less plunky. Indeed, size isn't everything! But of course, there are plenty of people who love the Kronos pianos, too. Anyway, now that the Kronos supports streaming user samples, I'm intending to try bringing a couple of VST piano sounds into it.

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Not being used to Yamaha's GUI, I found the Krome far easier to navigate. The touch-screen is fast and intuitive. The buttons on the other hand have tiny labels and disappear into a black hole on stage.

Yes, an astonishingly bad mistake that Korg makes over and over again (as do other companies). Funny, I was playing a wedding, and one of the guests worked for Korg, and I happened to have an M50-73 at that gig, which is a board I've always had mixed feelings about. He came up to me and talked about it a little, and among the things I told him that bugged me were the black-on-black buttons. He said the M50's look was designed for visual similarity with the classic M1. So that's 25 years of bad design!

#2471979 - 02/16/13 09:24 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
voxpops Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: eric.B
Why did you switch to the SV-1 if I may ask?

As I wrote in another thread, I felt like I was playing a computer more than an instrument with the Krome. Because it was principally for live use, I wanted more of the kind of "real instrument" vibe that the SV-1 has. Also, even though it's admirably light, the Krome 88 is very bulky and slightly unwieldy in tight spaces. Despite that, if I wasn't trying to be thrifty, I would have had no problem keeping the Krome for studio/recording use.

#2471981 - 02/16/13 09:36 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: AnotherScott]
eric.B Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
...I had the same experience with the Kronos and MOX. I could recognize certain advantages to the Kronos, but I found the MOX more pleasing, less plunky. Indeed, size isn't everything!

Yeah, my thoughts as well when I read about the 3,8 GB memory of the Korg - with 2,8 GB dedicated to the piano if recall correctly - and 'just' 355 MB for the Yamaha.

...He said the M50's look was designed for visual similarity with the classic M1. So that's 25 years of bad design!

Ha, great story. Retro can be cool but it doesn't mean progress - and some practical problems - should be neglected.

Voxpops: I get exactly what you mean. I'll probably have the need some for more sounds and gadgets.

Edited by eric.B (02/16/13 09:38 AM)

#2472091 - 02/17/13 12:55 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
eric.B Offline

I see the MOX has max 64 notes polyphony and the Krome 120. Anyone ever had the idea the MOX is lacking some notes?

#2472117 - 02/17/13 06:18 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

What type of stuff do you do? The polyphony could be an issue depending on how you use it. I am betting odds are the bigger problem is overloading the processor on glissandos if you are not careful about deactivating zones not needed.

Edited by CEB (02/17/13 06:19 AM)

#2472119 - 02/17/13 06:37 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I see the MOX has max 64 notes polyphony and the Krome 120. Anyone ever had the idea the MOX is lacking some notes?

I compared the MOX piano to the NP30. It wasn't easy but if I specifically came up with a solo piano passage designed to task it, I could force the MOX to steal notes. Interestingly, the same passage played fine on the NP30, no audible note loss, despite it having only 32 notes of polyphony compared to the MOX's 64! My guess is that the NP30 has a more intelligent piano-specific note stealing algorithm, whereas the MOX, not being just a piano, has a more generic first-in first-out note priority for dropped notes, not taking into account which note loss might be more audible regardless of when it was played.

So the points are, first, comparing notes of polyphony across different models or brands won't necessarily tell you which one you'll be more likely to hear a dropped note on, and second, yes, it is possibly to hear a dropped note on the MOX, but you really have to work at it, if playing a single piano sound. The more you layer, presumably, the easier it would be.

So I would not assume that the Krome would necessarily give you more real-world polyphony than the MOX in every situation. According to their spec page, the Krome 120 drops to 60 in "double mode" and it "will vary depending on oscillator settings such as stereo multisamples and velocity crossfading." If stereo cuts it in half and velocity crossfade can cut it in half again (depending on where in a note's velocity range you trigger it), it sounds like a single sound (2 oscillator, stereo, with cross fading) could theoretically produce as little as 15 notes of polyphony. The MOX architecture is different, I'm not sure how to directly compare them, but it likewise has factors that can reduce polyphony.

In the real world, both instruments are very usable, and both instruments can be over-taxed. Unless polyphony is a particular issue for you (maybe you're doing sequenced orchestrations), I would say that other differences between them (like how you like their sounds, feel, ergonomics, interface, etc.) will probably be much more relevant in choosing between them.

#2472121 - 02/17/13 06:48 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: CEB]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
I am betting odds are the bigger problem is overloading the processor on glissandos if you are not careful about deactivating zones not needed.

That's another interesting slant on polyphony, also relevant because the OP also mentioned Kurz. One of the comparisons I've seen regarding Korg and Kurz is that muted zones/timbres on a Korg still use up polyphony, whereas they don't on a Kurz. So depending on how you work, the same amount of polyphony on a Kurz can go a lot farther than on a Korg. So again, polyphony figures don't tell you the whole story.

Getting back, then, to the general question about the PC3LE8, I like Kurz a lot, and that model has some significant advantages over the Krome and MOX... i.e. it has aftertouch, pads, and a clonewheel organ function. I think it's probably more flexible as a general MIDI controller as well. But it weighs quite a bit more. Differences in sound and keyboard feel are a matter of taste, as always.

#2472126 - 02/17/13 07:28 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: AnotherScott]
voxpops Offline
Gold Member

Even though the Krome is supposed to have 120 notes polyphony, the pianos only manage around 30 - and there's an abrupt cut-off of older notes when you reach it, which is annoyingly obvious with sustained bass notes.

#2472139 - 02/17/13 08:45 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: voxpops]
eric.B Offline

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll be playing top40/pop/rock/etc so from the usual a and e piano's to organs, strings, synths, pads. I get the point about the polyphony. Dry numbers don't tell the whole story, so I'll focus on more important matters like sound and keyboard feel.

Two other things I like about the PC3LE-8 is the metal case and built in power adapter, although they add up in weight. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a store over here who has one to try. I can order one online and send it back if I don't like it but I would prefer testing and comparing my pick of keyboards myself.

#2472250 - 02/17/13 07:42 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
Bif_ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Indiana
....things I like about the PC3LE-8 is the metal case and built in power adapter, although they add up in weight. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a store over here who has one to try.

Eric,

I have a Kurzweil PC3X and a Motif ES and play a Motif XS on a regular basis, so I'm well familiar with these instruments. I might suggest that you pursue a used PC3X (just about the same money as a new PC3LE8). You'll get more polyphony and a much better Leslie simulation (the Leslie improvement alone makes the PC3X a better choice than the LE8 version, in my mind).

Yes, it's hard to find Kurzweil's to play. I can tell you the sounds on the Kurz are so incredibly playable and respond so well to touch and expression. For instance, many of the string sounds can have as many as 20 or more layers split and layered across the keyboard. For live use, the Kurzweil is a formidable instrument.

Also, the Kurzweil allows programs to sustain when you change to another program (not available on the Motifs).

Greg

#2472266 - 02/17/13 09:46 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: Bif_]
eric.B Offline

Hi Greg, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Kurzweil seems an underdog, a smaller brand but loved by the people who play one.

Which keybed version of the Kurzweil and Motif do you own and which one do you prefer?

I noticed that the price difference between the 76 and 88 key version for the Kurzweil is smaller compared to other brands even though the 88 versions are fully weighted hammer action and the other versions semi-weighted. I might be able to find one model of Kurzweil somewhere to try but I think it would be very hard to find all the LE6,7,8 and K6,7,8 models in one showroom.

Cheers, Eric

Edited by eric.B (02/17/13 09:47 PM)

#2472301 - 02/18/13 05:09 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bif_
the Kurzweil allows programs to sustain when you change to another program (not available on the Motifs).

There actually is a way to do that on the MOX and Motifs (and probably the Krome), but only within pre-defined sets of up to 16 sounds. The Kurz implementation is definitely better, but the feature is not entirely absent in the others.

I think it would be very hard to find all the LE6,7,8 and K6,7,8 models in one showroom.

No need. Since you're starting from looking at a MOX8 and Krome 88, and are pretty selective about the feel of your piano action (as indicated in your first post comparing them), you only need to find one Kurz model. The only ones with a weighted action that would be competitive with the others you're looking at are the PC3LE8 and PC3K8 (and the discontinued PC3X), and they have the same action as each other. So finding just one of those will let you know whether you like the action. They all have basically the same sounds, so just the one will also let you know whether you like the sounds. So really, you just want to find either a PC3LE8 or a PC3K8, and you'll have enough info to determine if you'd prefer a Kurz to a MOX or Krome. (Personally, I would take any of these 88 key Kurz models over a Krome or MOX if it wasn't for how much more they weigh.)

Bif says that the leslie improvement in the X and K models is worth the difference over the LE series. But keep in mind that even the LE is still miles ahead of the Krome or Mox in its clonewheel capability. Also, since you're buying a weighted action board, organ playing is probably not your priority anyway. And if you really want a better Leslie sound, you can get a Ventilator pedal, which will be better than the rotary effect built into any of them. So no, I would not think that should be a major factor in your Kurz choice. And as discussed, the polyphony difference is not likely to be crucial to you, and regardless, as also mentioned, Kurz is pretty smart in how they handle their polyphony anyway (i.e. the LE's 64 could give you more polyphony than the Krome's 120, depending on what you're trying to do). The point is, it's always easy to find reasons to spend more money, and of course the higher end model gives you more. But considering your MOX/Krome starting point, it is perfectly reasonable to look at a PC3LE. Sure, if you're open to buying used and find a good deal on a PC3X, great, but the PC3LE8 is not a bad choice by any means. In fact, there may even be situations where you'd prefer the LE, as it also has a couple of features that aren't in the higher end model! You can see the differences summarized pretty well at http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3le7/product_comparisons/311/

#2472314 - 02/18/13 07:36 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: AnotherScott]
eric.B Offline

Originally Posted By: Bif_
the Kurzweil allows programs to sustain when you change to another program (not available on the Motifs).

There actually is a way to do that on the MOX and Motifs (and probably the Krome), but only within pre-defined sets of up to 16 sounds. The Kurz implementation is definitely better, but the feature is not entirely absent in the others.

I did try that on the Krome - forgot to try on the MOX - and it did sustain but I heard a change in sound. I would guess that's because the 2nd program uses different effects. And it might had a short hick-up.

Scott, good points about the keybeds and sounds and thanks for the link. I did notice the Kurz weighs 2/3rds more than the Krome and MOX. Add the weight of a decent sturdy case and it certainly will be something to consider having to bring it to band rehearsal each week...

I contacted the Dutch Kurzweil importer and asked them for a store who has some on display. So I'll probably give one a try next weekend. I heard more people tell the Kurz has good organ sounds, a different class than other brands, so I'll be sure to check them out.
And you're right that organ sounds won't be my 1st priority, although I would be happy with a good sounding one. I can manage to play what I need to on the noticeably heavier weighted keybed I'm used to.

If I like the Kurz, I think buying a used PC3K or PC3x is gonna be a problem because they are pretty rare over here. And, having seen some people whack on them, I'm rather reluctant to get a showroom one, even though it would be cheaper.

Giving some info on prices: the MOX8 goes around here for EUR 1439, the Krome 88 for EUR 1599 and I got a quote for the PC3LE8 of EUR 1545 (that would be resp. USD 1923, USD 2136 and USD 2065). So prices are pretty close and the Kurz was cheaper than I expected.

Edited by eric.B (02/18/13 07:39 AM)

#2472321 - 02/18/13 08:02 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MP Hall of Fame Member

it did sustain but I heard a change in sound. I would guess that's because the 2nd program uses different effects.

Yes, fx can be an issue there. Sometimes fx are not crucial to a sound, and you can create versions of sounds without them, which can be the easiest way to create more seamless switching. But also, the number of simultaneous fx is another way these boards differ from one another, and this could come into play here. Kurz LE supports ten insert fx, Krome 5, MOX 3. Though whether or not paying attention to the use of those fx can make Krome or MOX patch switching more fluid, I don't know. As mentioned, this is a particular Kurz strength.

#2472348 - 02/18/13 09:40 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
Bif_ Offline
Gold Member

Which keybed version of the Kurzweil and Motif do you own and which one do you prefer?

I have the Motif ES7 (76 note unweighted) and PC3X (88 note weighted) and also play the Kurzweil PC3 (76 note semi-weighted) at church.

The Kurzweil semi-weighted action is unique and a good compromise between weighted and unweighted. Your original post referenced a focus on piano's and 88 keys, so I think you're going to be better off with a weighted action.

AnotherScott is correct regarding a workaround on the Motif but on the Kurzweil you can set up 16 banks of 10 programs that can be accessed with only two button pushes (one button push to select a bank, and one button push to pick one of the 10 programs). If you organize sounds carefully you can stay in the same bank and change sounds with only one button push.

Also keep in mind that these same 16 banks can contain 'setups' (combinations of programs) split and layered across the keyboard. Since 'programs' consists of up to 32 layers, and each 'setup' consists of 8 programs you can get an idea of how deep the Kurzweil can be.

IMO, the pads, strings, orchestral stuff, brass, pianos, ep's and organs on the Kurzweil are much better than on the Motif series. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Motif, but I think the Kurzweil is a better instrument for live performance.

Greg

#2472363 - 02/18/13 10:34 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: Bif_]
eric.B Offline

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. If possible, I want to give a 76 key Kurzweil a try as well, just to see how I like it.

I've been doing more research online but, after some first useful and objective information, I seem to fall in the 'google trap': an overkill of posts with contradictory opinions which only seem to bring up more questions and/or doubts.

I'll make a shortlist of my priorities and then compare the 3 keyboards and let my ears (and fingers) decide.

#2472377 - 02/18/13 11:04 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
I bought one of the first PC3X in March, 2008; followed it up a year later with a PC3 (and then a PC361 a couple of years later). The PC361 synth keys are not useful for piano (I keep that one at church, with a PC2, and use the PC2 to drive it for piano).
The PC3 is a good compromise, a little heavy for organ smears, and not as much control as the weighted PC3X for piano; but usable in most instances. For playing in a band it works well. For playing Chopin and similar piano stuff, the fully weighted does the job very nicely. For comparison, I have a 5'8" Baldwin grand.
No experience with the Motif or Krome.

There will be contradictory opinions - different people use keyboard for different purposes. I live in a small town, my church did have a PC88 (now they have a SP2). I had to order without actually playing the PC3 series - but I had already had a SP88X, K2000, and K2661.
Kurzweil *my opinion* is definitely worth checking out.
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2472384 - 02/18/13 11:35 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MP Hall of Fame Member

One more variable... Kurz has started shipping the SP5-8, which is basically a lower cost version of the PC3LE8... fewer features and different keybed, but same sounds. Still heavy compared to the MOX and Krome, though.

#2472385 - 02/18/13 11:44 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
Bif_ Offline
Gold Member

...after some first useful and objective information, I seem to fall in the 'google trap': an overkill of posts with contradictory opinions which only seem to bring up more questions and/or doubts.

I'll make a shortlist of my priorities and then compare the 3 keyboards and let my ears (and fingers) decide.

Yes, it's easy to get overloaded with opinions. I tend to listen more closely when someone has personal experience with specific instruments.

Even then, your own opinion may differ after firsthand experience.

Good luck,

Greg

#2472451 - 02/18/13 05:04 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: Bif_]
LarsHarner Offline

In terms of the P105, I sold my P95 to get a p105 only to send it back as the first one had a broken key and the second one was not assembled somewhere along the right side of the board which resulted in a "clicking" noise when playing with both hands below middle c. Needless to say, I lost my patience, took apart the custom stand and pedals and am now pedaling them (no pun intended) on Craigslist.

I have tried the Krome 88 and like the piano sound, but Korg
s pianos have always been my preference (favorite music and my style or writing is Billy Joel/Elton John)

I am actually going to pre-order a Korg SP280 and then likely buy a Krome 61. Has anyone considered that route?

Reason being I prefer to have speakers on an 88 key piano as I normally use a 61 more for songwriting.

I figure, instead of paying $500-600 more for the 88 vs 61 key krome, why not just pick up an additional keyboard?

#2472606 - 02/19/13 09:59 AM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
eric.B Offline

Originally Posted By: MoodyBluesKeys

The PC3 is a good compromise, a little heavy for organ smears, and not as much control as the weighted PC3X for piano; but usable in most instances. For playing in a band it works well.

Which keybed version are you referring to here?

One more variable... Kurz has started shipping the SP5-8, which is basically a lower cost version of the PC3LE8... fewer features and different keybed, but same sounds. Still heavy compared to the MOX and Krome, though.

Yes, I see it has another keybed and it appears to be less aimed to customizing, lacking the VAST editing, no external editor and an - even - smaller screen. Also no arpeggiators or sequencer. I think that the LE series would suit me better for the future and also because I'm already looking in that kind of price range.

Originally Posted By: LarsHarner
I am actually going to pre-order a Korg SP280 and then likely buy a Krome 61. Has anyone considered that route?
I figure, instead of paying $500-600 more for the 88 vs 61 key krome, why not just pick up an additional keyboard?

It is a good thought and it might just be what you need. Personally - also keeping the weekly transport in mind - I would prefer to stick to 1 keyboard for now and maybe ad a more specialized one in the future, should I feel there are certain sounds lacking.

BTW: I would not have thought Yamaha was prone to those kind of problems as you had with the P105.

#2472648 - 02/19/13 01:15 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
I am referring to the 73 key PC3 with "lightly-weighted" keyboard. Fatar, but I don't remember the model number.
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2472690 - 02/19/13 04:06 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: eric.B]
triple8 Offline

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. If possible, I want to give a 76 key Kurzweil a try as well, just to see how I like it.

I've been doing more research online but, after some first useful and objective information, I seem to fall in the 'google trap': an overkill of posts with contradictory opinions which only seem to bring up more questions and/or doubts.

Of course the way to go is to try the action as you mentioned, but when it comes to the PC3 76, its doubly important. That keybed feel is polarizing, with people either liking it or hating it. I have one and find it very stiff and springy, and don't like it one bit. It sits pretty much unused. Many people have considered replacing the keybed, replacing its springs, or adding weights. Too bad given how nice the PC3 is in other aspects.

#2472739 - 02/19/13 10:05 PM Re: Yamaha MOX 8 vs Korg Krome 88 (vs...any suggestion?) [Re: triple8]
eric.B Offline

Originally Posted By: triple8
Of course the way to go is to try the action as you mentioned, but when it comes to the PC3 76, its doubly important. That keybed feel is polarizing, with people either liking it or hating it. I have one and find it very stiff and springy, and don't like it one bit. It sits pretty much unused. Many people have considered replacing the keybed, replacing its springs, or adding weights. Too bad given how nice the PC3 is in other aspects.

OK, so one more reason to try before buying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner