Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2471306 - 02/14/13 06:39 AM Jaco Pastorius charged with murder?
ZZ Thorn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Paris via Chicago
Cuz I know you're all thinking that too!

Jaco Pastorius charged with murdering stereotypes of what a bass player 'should' be

I refuse to get interested in this story until they work in a Jaco angle: This guy is Jaco's cousin, officials found a copy of 'Heavy Weather' at the scene, the accused killer was described by his neighbors as quiet except for blaring constant bass loops, Pistorius' legs use the same technology as Jaco's original fretless bass...something, otherwise I just can't get into it.

BP Island
#2471314 - 02/14/13 07:31 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: near Philly
Eh, it's a little soon for jokes maybe.

#2471365 - 02/14/13 09:28 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
b5pilot Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan
facepalm

#2471516 - 02/14/13 04:58 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: b5pilot]
ZZ Thorn Offline
Gold Member

Yawn...send me a PM when it's ok to talk about Jaco on a bass forum.

#2471517 - 02/14/13 05:00 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Eastern Washington
Don't wait on me.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#2471519 - 02/14/13 05:03 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
ZZ Thorn Offline
Gold Member

Sure wasn't planning to!

#2471525 - 02/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I'll bite my tongue and not type what I really want to type. I've locked down enough threads in my life.

Instead, this: Stoopid. Running on blades in a traditionally non-blade event isn't right. There's a reason that wheelchair marathoners have their own event; they'd just crush the regular runners. "Crush" as in terms of time elapsed. Not physically crush.... unless you didn't hear the fellow yell, "On Your Right!" on the downhill sections. So the blade runner dudes and ladies should be in a brand new event that I'll name "Assisted Running". My homemade rules are anybody can strap any non-motorized thingy that you want onto you feet/legs/arms/ whatever you want, which is just like how non-paralyzed people can enter wheelchair races. Then it'd be a fair race. And the fun quotient would be way up there, kinda like when pole vault and snowboarding and windsurfing were invented--a brand new sport.

#2471527 - 02/14/13 05:27 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Paul K]
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
and pretty soon guys will be amputating limbs just to run faster!

oar knot

#2471535 - 02/14/13 05:40 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: kenfxj]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wind-assisted pole vaulting?

#2471539 - 02/14/13 05:54 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There's a one-legged champion collegiate wrestler (Anthony Robles) who gets shite for being too strong in the upper body. The extra muscle makes up in weight for the missing leg. Plus the opponents only have the one leg to grab hold of.

If he wasn't winning I'm willing to wager that nobody would have a problem with him.

#2471543 - 02/14/13 06:11 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: kenfxj]
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NJ/NYC
Well that's sort of the same thing as females in traditionally male sports, say collegiate wrestling. The have more/less parts to grab and may be able to better handle certain weight classes. Besides, for the male opponent the is no actual "win". First off, no matter what the rules, there are other rules you must follow. Second, if you loose, you lost to a girl. Third, if you win, you beat a girl. If you totally dominate, you are the bad guy. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I also believe it should be OK to rough the kicker in US football.

#2471553 - 02/14/13 07:05 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: butcherNburn]
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I saw an armless pole vaulter once. The most impressive part was him charging down the runway backwards.

#2471555 - 02/14/13 07:08 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: kenfxj]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Originally Posted By: kenfxj
There's a one-legged champion collegiate wrestler (Anthony Robles) who gets shite for being too strong in the upper body. The extra muscle makes up in weight for the missing leg. Plus the opponents only have the one leg to grab hold of.

If he wasn't winning I'm willing to wager that nobody would have a problem with him.

See, I think that's just the coolest thing in the world.

#2471565 - 02/14/13 08:08 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: kenfxj]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
ZZ, if you want to go off topic and talk about a South American runner with springs for legs, I don't see why you have to bring Jaco's name into it.

Jaco's wife is still alive and well.

#2471584 - 02/15/13 01:51 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: jeremy c]
ZZ Thorn Offline
Gold Member

JC - My interest in Pistorious has always been so tiny that whenever I see his name I think of Jaco, even now.

And, frankly, I resent the fact that his name is so close to Jaco's. There's only one Pastorious. This Pistorious is only half the man Jaco was. (LOL! Couldn't resist! Please PM your sermons tomorrow because it's Saturday over here.)

However...I also think it's crazy that he gets to compete against guys with normal legs. Maybe he truly is the fastest guy in the world and he just got a bad break, but without a level playing field you can't really gauge who is the best. And really, I'm faster than all of them when I drive a car.

Regarding roughing the kicker - you let them rough the kicker and you'll have a wave of dead kickers. Those guys are totally defenseless. The punter would just stand 10 yards further back, same with the kicker. I agree with roughing the kicker if you permit arming the holder. That would level the playing field.

#2471628 - 02/15/13 07:15 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A few thoughts about my dad (RIP).

My father was a dock builder. He worked 35 years of heavy construction with a prosthetic leg (courtesy of a nazi landmine). He was never out of work, he'd be the first person called when a new project opened up.

He had an unfair advantage in that when the creosote or the splash from a cutting torch would burn his right leg he didn't feel it and could go on working.

Hell of a guy my dad. Harry the Horse they called him. If I wrote a completely true book about him I'd be accused of embellishment. The DAV claimed he went through more legs than any person in North America. He literally kept a spare in the trunk. His leg was one of the least interesting things about him.

#2471717 - 02/15/13 10:46 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: jeremy c]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Originally Posted By: jeremy c
ZZ, if you want to go off topic and talk about a South African runner with springs for legs, I don't see why you have to bring Jaco's name into it.

Jaco's wife is still alive and well.

#2471723 - 02/15/13 10:51 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: kenfxj]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: kenfxj
A few thoughts about my dad (RIP).

My father was a dock builder. He worked 35 years of heavy construction with a prosthetic leg (courtesy of a nazi landmine). He was never out of work, he'd be the first person called when a new project opened up.

He had an unfair advantage in that when the creosote or the splash from a cutting torch would burn his right leg he didn't feel it and could go on working.

Hell of a guy my dad. Harry the Horse they called him. If I wrote a completely true book about him I'd be accused of embellishment. The DAV claimed he went through more legs than any person in North America. He literally kept a spare in the trunk. His leg was one of the least interesting things about him.

Touching. And somewhat amusing.

#2471739 - 02/15/13 11:15 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
jcadmus Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Shouldn't this thread be marked OT? Like way OT?

#2471788 - 02/15/13 01:37 PM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: jcadmus]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I didn't know what the hell we were talking about when were were on topic.

#2471923 - 02/16/13 05:08 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
ZZ Thorn Offline
Gold Member

It was very serious from the beginning and I can safely report that many injured puppies were restored to good health thanks to our efforts.

#2471930 - 02/16/13 06:13 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: ZZ Thorn]
Ross Brown Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I don't like cats.

#2471933 - 02/16/13 06:17 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Ross Brown]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
So who's the Italian chick already??

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#2471939 - 02/16/13 07:10 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some Italian chick injured a puppy?

Edited by SufferNoFools (02/16/13 07:10 AM)

#2471961 - 02/16/13 08:30 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
The girlfriend was South African, not Italian, and she was quite a looker.

#2471976 - 02/16/13 09:13 AM Re: Jaco Pastorius charged with murder? [Re: jeremy c]
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think Eddie is refering to Giada, not Reeva Steenkamp.