Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Paul K] #2470961 02/12/13 11:07 PM
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but there are others. Almost anyone can follow a recipe, it doesn't mean you can cook. If you can look at what you have around the house a make something good in a pinch, you can probably cook. The only exception the the recipe statement is where consistency if of utmost importance, or chemistry is key, like baking or making alcohol.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!
BP Island
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: butcherNburn] #2470973 02/13/13 12:49 AM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Good Eats junkie, here.

Who doesn't love a bit of science and cheesy props with their cooking show?

Yes, Giada's props are, well, different.

Chopped. There's a show. Ted Allen, four contestants and a box of mystery ingredients.

"Chefs, open your box. You will now have 30 minutes to make a dessert out of the following: Squid. Pine Nuts. Strawberries. Silky Tofu." And when you're done, you have three pseudo-celebraty chefs bitch you out on national television because it taste like squid and pine nuts.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2470974 02/13/13 12:50 AM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
I do humbly apologize for hijacking this thread.

Last edited by SufferNoFools; 02/13/13 12:50 AM.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471024 02/13/13 10:58 AM
JBFLA Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: SufferNoFools
Good Eats junkie, here.

Me too.

Chopped. There's a show. Ted Allen, four contestants and a box of mystery ingredients.

"Chefs, open your box. You will now have 30 minutes to make a dessert out of the following: Squid. Pine Nuts. Strawberries. Silky Tofu." And when you're done, you have three pseudo-celebraty chefs bitch you out on national television because it taste like squid and pine nuts.

Ted Allen? Why is he there and what does he add?
And, the judges are undeserving Food Divas who add nothing.

Jim
Confirmed RoscoeHead
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471025 02/13/13 10:59 AM
D
DJR_Bos Offline
D
Good Eats junkie, here.

Who doesn't love a bit of science and cheesy props with their cooking show?

Good Eats was great. America’s Test Kitchen on PBS has kind of moved into that role. Sadly minus the silly puppets. Unless you count a good percent of the on air talent.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471055 02/13/13 12:39 PM
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now there's a show I'd love to see! Who's the girl a few posts above mine? I may take an interest in cooking ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2471083 02/13/13 01:51 PM
_
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
_
I like Good Eats, too. If you like science with your cooking, look for Susan Corriher's cookbook/tome. It explains some of the chemistry while also giving the recipes. Good stuff. She makes appearances on Good Eats sometimes.

I like Chopped. I enjoy seeing what the heck people do with the ingredients. I have now also eaten at restaurants of a couple of contestants, one of which is really quite tasty, and those of a few of the judges. (The joys of being in the NYC area.) While I realize that the judges haven't been in the kitchens when I've been there (or at least not as far as I know), they food coming out of those kitchens was pretty terrific.

I also appreciate that they do the Chopped All-Stars set of shows with more famous chefs and include a round in which the judges compete. The judges do appear to be suitably humbled by the experience, which is good.

Peace.
--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: _Sweet Willie_] #2471085 02/13/13 02:01 PM
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
With the cooking shows it seems like everything has come full circle and most of the best one's are on PBS again. Some of the old ones are good if you can catch them like Justin Wilson.

The Food Network really seemed to go down hill the last few years.

Really down hill

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: butcherNburn] #2471111 02/13/13 03:14 PM
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Ah, my future ex-wife Giada... A hot Italian girl who is rich and can cook.

Push the button Frank.
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: kenfxj] #2471133 02/13/13 04:14 PM
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: kenfxj
Ah, my future ex-wife Giada... A hot Italian girl who is rich and can cook.

But you know what they say, all of them eventually.......

develop a tolerance to ruffies.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: butcherNburn] #2471150 02/13/13 05:13 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Idol: I've lost interest but I still think any diva-wannabe should try out for it. Either you got it or you don't. And if you don't, don't come back to CL and say crap like "I was on Idol and I have connections ... which is why I'm looking for a working band that already has bookings into next year".

Food shows: I like the one with the Joey Fatone look-alike that drives classic sports cars to roadhouses and chows down on three oversized plates with 12,000 Calories on them. wink

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Eric VB] #2471184 02/13/13 07:18 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Eric VB
Food shows: I like the one with the Joey Fatone look-alike that drives classic sports cars to roadhouses and chows down on three oversized plates with 12,000 Calories on them. wink

Oh, you mean "Porkin' Across America"? Sickeningly hilarious.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Eric VB] #2471198 02/13/13 08:22 PM
JBFLA Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Idol:

I'm guessing Guy Fieri who hosts Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and drives around in his classic Camaro (although I don't recall plates loaded up like that). Love that show - just wish I had a chance to visit all the places he's been to.

Jim
Confirmed RoscoeHead
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: JBFLA] #2471394 02/14/13 03:14 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this one.
Originally Posted By: JBFLA
Idol:

I'm guessing Guy Fieri who hosts Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and drives around in his classic Camaro (although I don't recall plates loaded up like that). Love that show - just wish I had a chance to visit all the places he's been to.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Eric VB] #2471440 02/14/13 05:33 PM
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this one.
Originally Posted By: JBFLA
Idol:

I was guessing Man vs. Food. I like the show but the guy has a death wish. Guy Fietti inspires extended bouts of "D Chills". I don't know how much of it is him or a put on for the show so I'll cut him a little slack. I have watched the show for the car alone though.

I'm glad this thread went in this direction. I wish Idol would get steered into another direction as well. Maybe off a tall bridge into a riverbed during an extended drought.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: butcherNburn] #2471536 02/14/13 10:43 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
The guy who was the spokesman for the "Heart Attack Grill" died of a heart attack two days ago.

The watresses dress as nurses. Two sweaty fantasies at once! A 1750 calorie triple bacon, triple cheese, triple burger served by a gal in an nurse outfit.

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471808 02/15/13 08:07 PM
zumabebop Offline
would like to point out- good or bad, AI has produced some certifiable stars, whereas the other shows have yet to get post show product to market...
... & thinks you would be surprised at how many CAN NOT follow a recipe but think they CAN cook... a good cook has many recipes in their head, a great cook can alter those recipes based on what's in the pantry/ refrigerator...& an Iron Chef (the basis of the show of the same name) can come up with multiple NEW recipes around a random main ingredient within a time restriction... wonders how many can plan & execute a multi-course meal start to finish beyond red wine w/red meat & white wine w/white meat... not saying just saying...

"All music is folk music; I ain't never heard no horse sing a song."- Louis Armstrong
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: zumabebop] #2471809 02/15/13 08:13 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
They don't make 'em like Iron Chef Japan anymore.

Michiba was the BOMB!

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471810 02/15/13 08:14 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
... and I serve Willamette Valley Pinot Noir with salmon. Just sayin'

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2471828 02/15/13 09:48 PM
Ross Brown Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
The production of the show "American Idol" is frickin amazing.... forget the contestants... the logistics that go into something like putting this show on are facinating to me....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there"
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Ross Brown] #2471901 02/16/13 05:46 AM
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
'nuff about Idol already, who's that Italian chick???

On a serious note, I am a non-cook myself. I even managed to spoil a hard-boiled egg ... Who knew you weren't supposed to leave it boiling for 20 minutes? - wish I was kidding but I'm not. Yet I find watching food programs oddly relaxing and intriguing.

Shows like Idol and The Voice have a different effect on me. I tend to pay more attention to the band and the performances. Heck, even when Dancing With The Stars I am mostly paying attention to the live band, although I love dance-programs for the technique that goes into it (even though I definitely can't and don't dance smile )

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: EddiePlaysBass] #2471944 02/16/13 12:19 PM
C
Cthulhu Fhtagn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
C
Giada De Laurentus (?) She's the daughter of the famous producer/director. She has a servicable cooking show that prepares servicable Italian food and has pair of breasts that co-stars with her.

Know for a simple, straight forward approach to Italian-style food an entertaining and wearing clothing that displays plenty of cleavage.

Granted, Alton Brown just has the bad hair and goofy props ...

Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: Cthulhu Fhtagn] #2472003 02/16/13 04:18 PM
W
Wally Malone Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
I have an appreciation for dance but not Dancing With The Stars. Ironically I like the dance show that doesn't have live music, So You Think You Can Dance. There is incredible talent on this show and dancers that are at the top of their game. In addition the choreographers are top notch as well.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!
Re: American Idol 2013 [Re: zumabebop] #2475013 02/28/13 05:58 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: zumabebop
would like to point out- good or bad, AI has produced some certifiable stars, whereas the other shows have yet to get post show product to market...

No doubt. Any singer who wants to "make it" overnight should try out for Idol. There is no other fast track like it.

Personally I just find it tiresome to try to keep up. I prefer to skip the trainwrecks which means by the time I tune in I'm not emotionally invested in any of the remaining contestants. Then it's as uninteresting as any other elimination show -- Survivor, Amazing Race, etc. -- when you only tune in for the last few episodes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2