Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2469032 - 02/05/13 09:38 PM "My god, its full of stars!"
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
This arrived today:

Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniv. (gold metal flake, #5 of 12)

Korina body, 25.5" scale. 2 RevTron mini-Humbuckers (based on FillerTrons) and a Bigsby.

The body is slabby- the only curves are in its outline, really- but the korina is relatively light. Sustain is very good, and even unplugged, the guitar sings. The neck feels very nice in my hands, and that cutaway lets me go allllllll the way up.

It has only a slight contour on the upper back:

At its thickest, the body is just under 2" thick. At the skinniest point on that contour, its just over 1".

This guitar was designed with rockabilly in mind, and they nailed it: the RevTrons deliver a nice retro hum, hot but twangy. The Bigsby does what it is supposed to do. the tuners hold on to the strings with a deathgrip, so it stays in tune no matter what I do. And then there is that sparkling gold metal flake finish...

But I wanted the deep blue metallic flake, not the gold... That color had amazing depth to it.

When the 15th Anniversary Flatroc limited edition guitars came out, I had ZERO interest in them. Then I got to play one in store in early January- blue metal flake #9 of 12. But I decided to think about it...and it sold a day before I could get back to the store. I went shopping online, only to find out they were disappearing quickly, both the original ones and the metal flake ones that were the last ones in the line. I eventually found blue metal flake #5 of 12 at Tulsa Band Instruments and jumped on it.

Except it sold in store before anyone noticed my online order had been processed. It was gone, as was red metal flake #4 of 12 and a flamed turquoise from earlier in the run.

The gold was all they had left. I was disappointed, but took it. In a display of understanding customer service, they threw in the Reverend HSC...which is being shipped directly from Reverend.

I was afraid I wouldn't like the color, but, like the lyrics of King Crimson's "Indicipline":

Quote:
I do think it's good.
The fact is...
No matter how closely I study it
No matter how I take it apart
No matter how I break it down
It remains consistant.

I wish you were here to see it.

I LIKE IT!

Honestly, my pictures cannot do it justice.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/05/13 09:42 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2469034 - 02/05/13 09:40 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now, for something completely different- no, not a naked man playing a piano- a couple of low-light shots:

I took these in a darkened room, lit only by light filtering in from a single window that has its venetian blinds closed. As you can see, that ridiculous, deep metal flake finish STILL picks up light; VERY lively.

I hope one of these Revs went to someone who actually intends to gig with it, because that would have to kill on a dimly lit stage...

I also sent an email to Reverend to tell them that their metal flake finishes need to be a premium option or something, because they sure as sin did them right! Its one of the few purely cosmetic things I've seen come around that I would definitely pay extra for.

#2469061 - 02/05/13 10:51 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

awesome!

#2469090 - 02/06/13 03:47 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: p90jr]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Way cool!

#2469101 - 02/06/13 05:16 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Bluesape]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
rawk Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. cool

How does this gold one compare to the blue one you first played in tone, feel and playability?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2469102 - 02/06/13 05:16 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Mmmmm, delicious spaaaaaaarkles! That's premium spankadelic for sure, good score mate.

#2469125 - 02/06/13 06:10 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: LeftyBlues]
SEHpicker Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Waaaaaaaay Cooool !

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2469130 - 02/06/13 06:27 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: SEHpicker]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
My precious!

Reverend makes some sweet guitars; glad you got a special one.

#2469176 - 02/06/13 08:00 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I somewhat worry about playing in public on an instrument that would command vastly more attention than anything I could ever play on it.

#2469193 - 02/06/13 08:37 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

How does this gold one compare to the blue one you first played in tone, feel and playability?

Pretty much indistinguishable- QC on these must have been tighter than Pre-visitation Ebeneezer Scrooge's coin purse.

I'm disappointed I couldn't snag a blue, but the single tear I've shed over this is long dried

There are issues that have cropped up though...

I'll need to find an appropriate guitar strap for this baby now. My preference in straps is broad, leather, and usually padded- I have mostly Fenders and Levy's fitting that description- with the exceptions being on acoustics or hollowbodies. I'll probably have to go basic black- anything flashy enough to stand up to it would probably be woven and or narrow, and this guitar has a bit of mass to it.

Worst of all, I'll have to start dressing like Billy Zoom to do this thing justice.

grin

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/06/13 08:45 AM)

#2469195 - 02/06/13 08:37 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I somewhat worry about playing in public on an instrument that would command vastly more attention than anything I could ever play on it.

That's why I seldom play in public! wink

#2469199 - 02/06/13 08:49 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Nice Lookin' Axe, Man.

#2469200 - 02/06/13 08:53 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Very cool! Wondering about that top knob...guessing it's a master volume...also guessing the two bottom knobs are a tone and a volume. Wondering if they could be wired as two volumes or two tones? and, is that a roller bridge? You've got the gold, now get back out there and rock the stage again!

#2469207 - 02/06/13 09:00 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Very cool! Wondering about that top knob...guessing it's a master volume...also guessing the two bottom knobs are a tone and a volume. Wondering if they could be wired as two volumes or two tones? and, is that a roller bridge? You've got the gold, now get back out there and rock the stage again!

Reverends have a bass roll-off knob in addition to the usual treble roll-off tone control.

#2469211 - 02/06/13 09:02 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz

That's why I seldom play in public! wink

At the very least, you may need to upgrade your sunglasses to safely play this axe.

#2469225 - 02/06/13 09:20 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My sunglasses are mirror coated Ray Bans...with a Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive coating. wink

#2469230 - 02/06/13 09:24 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz

Reverends have a bass roll-off knob in addition to the usual treble roll-off tone control.

Yeah, that's turning out to be something rather nifty!

I'm keeping this baby in standard tuning, in all likelihood, but I'm thinking that if/when I score a Reverend Reeves Gabrels II- still lurking on my G.A.S. list- it will be tuned to NST.

...and that knob will be tasty when interacting with that low C and G.

#2469235 - 02/06/13 09:33 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://proguitarshop.com/video-reviews/reverend-flatroc-15th-anniversary-gold-metal-flake <----this video kinda explains it...roller saddles on the bridge and top knob is bass contour control...very cool! cool

Edited by Larryz (02/06/13 09:37 AM)

#2469257 - 02/06/13 10:13 AM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I couldn't get that to work- it happens sometimes when I'm on my wifi hotspot- but here's the same vid on YouTube:

And, FWIW, the RG II I was talking about...

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/06/13 10:23 AM)

#2469317 - 02/06/13 12:55 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
sweet looking but with out sound clips it didnt happen , just kidding very good looking ax. Now get out there and play it like you stole it. Should command attention and sometimes that will inspire you .

Lok

#2469364 - 02/06/13 02:52 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Pretty!

#2469368 - 02/06/13 03:12 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: picker]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
WOW....damn nice score!!
Not only does she look great....she sounds great! rawk

I really like the clips.
I had a Gretsch Nashville with the Bigsby and Filtertrons and I love the sound.

Way to go....enjoy!

Randy

#2469386 - 02/06/13 03:47 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Strategery]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

sweeticles! like the sparkle. i always thought Reverends were cool. i was recently on Reverends site and noticed the awesome Pete Anderson model.

rock it, i will

#2469427 - 02/06/13 07:58 PM Re: "My god, its full of stars!" [Re: Lokair]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Reverends only popped up on my personal radar a few years ago- I think right when Pete's sig model was announced.

I got to try out a few here and there, but never bought one until this year. It will NOT be my last, of that I'm sure!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose