Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2468173 - 02/03/13 02:10 PM Hazy lacquer
Eepyikes Offline

I have a 20yr old Takamine, not even a particularly good guitar but it does have some sentimental value. It has a black glossy finish that has turned a weird cloudy haze over the years. Anything I can do about that? It's strange because it's still shiny and glossy but the black looks more grey-ish, almost like what would happen if you painted over it with elmer's glue, that sort of opaque milky color.

I'm not really concerned about making it look new, just wondering what options there are. Maybe I should relic it, ha!

GP Island
#2468306 - 02/04/13 05:22 AM Re: Hazy lacquer [Re: Eepyikes]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
You could try the Fender/MeGuires polishing kit (available from MF). It is comprised of three (3) products.

1. Mist & Wipe - General cleaning spray

2. Swirl and Haze Remover

3. Polish

Use the products in order. Be prepared to do some polishing. This stuff requires a lot of elbow grease.

Hope it helps.

#2468711 - 02/05/13 07:59 AM Re: Hazy lacquer [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
+1 on the polishing products and elbow grease. If that doesn't work, the only other way to go is refinishing. You can get a little wild and have some really cool design work done or you can go with a nice stock black finish. Either way it's going to cost you so the big question is: does it have enough sentimental value to leave it as is and save yourself some money or should you go for it and have it refinished? Sometimes things get a little hazy...

Edited by Larryz (02/05/13 08:03 AM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose