Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2467724 - 02/01/13 02:01 PM Suggestions for a clean boost pedal?
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Any suggestions for a clean boost pedal and one with an EQ would be cool too.

GP Island
#2467744 - 02/01/13 03:57 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: desertbluesman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Lizard Leg's Flying Dragon is good, but it doesn't have eq. I have a clone of a ZVex Super hard-on that is wonderful, but again, no eq. With all due respect, that's kind of the point of a clean boost to me, a transparent increase in volume with as little effect on the tone as possible. Maybe you'd be happier with a mild overdrive that you can set so that it doesn't distort on you, but still gives you a tone stack knob to adjust. I have one of THESE, and it might do what you're asking for. I like mine really well.

#2467875 - 02/02/13 10:03 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: picker]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Picker. I have a Boss Blues Driver that I use with my Strat style guitar. I use it for a clean boost and turn the tone control all the way to it's bass side to give the guitar a little boost and cut down on the brightness a bunch. It then gives me a sound similar to a humbucking pup. I like the guitar a bunch but I am tempted to put in some Duncan Little 59'ers instead of the Fender Noiseless Pups I have in it now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I also tried turning the trebles all the way off on my Super Champ X2 amp which also did the trick.

I am not a fan of single coil pups although I wanted them for recording certain tones. However after using them for a while, I decided that I don't need that type of sound for anything I do. However I am a big fan of how some others get monster tone from Fender type guitars.

#2467881 - 02/02/13 10:28 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I like the Tech 21 Blonde for on/off clean boost, distortion and going direct to the PA, etc. Many users wish it had an xlr out instead of the 1/4" and are modding them. It has alot of clean Fenderish amp sounds too! They run about $169, worth a try next time you're near a GC...or you can always just use a volume pedal, but I like the Blonde! cool

#2468017 - 02/02/13 10:44 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I second the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon... in fact, I own two!

But I used to use a Boss GE7 EQ Pedal as a boost, which definitely has EQ.

#2468019 - 02/02/13 11:00 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: p90jr]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: p90jr
I second the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon... in fact, I own two!

But I used to use a Boss GE7 EQ Pedal as a boost, which definitely has EQ.

Yep, heaps of eq!

I use a BBE Boosta Grande, no eq just boost, but sounds good to me.

Of course once you start getting into boosts you start thinking 'maybe I need another boost in front of my dirt boxes as well as after'...

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2468031 - 02/03/13 02:52 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: harvey]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
If you would also like a great chorus/flanger/pitch-modulation pedal, the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger + also has a FANTASTIC clean buffer/boost, from "Unity-Gain" (0) to 15db of clean, hi-fi boost. The buffer/boost is on at all times, whether the modulation-effects are on or off.

It sounds INCREDIBLE for overdriving a tube-amp!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2468655 - 02/05/13 04:56 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

I use an Xotic EP Booster. Its a no frills boost, built like a tank in a really small package, and seems to make everything sound better. thu

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I can’t quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2468763 - 02/05/13 09:27 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: 02R96]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: 02R96
I use an Xotic EP Booster. Its a no frills boost, built like a tank in a really small package, and seems to make everything sound better. thu

I have one of these, too. I use it as a "dirtier boost," I guess... a subtle dirt boost with sustain...

I probably have too many boost options on one board, but I use them all... I swear.

#2468873 - 02/05/13 01:14 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: p90jr]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
Keeley Katana. Does the job with the option of a little grit if you pull out the pot.
--Sun Tzu

#2468880 - 02/05/13 01:23 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: The Bear Jew]
Michele C. Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Milano
Looks like a manual winding watch :-)

#2468892 - 02/05/13 01:39 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Michele C.]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
I also use a Boosta Grande and find it to be quiet and have a nice clean boost. I also have a Behringer PB100 boost pedal. I know it's plastic, but it has an EQ and sounds good.

#2468911 - 02/05/13 02:31 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Junior 1]
20k Club

wink
wink thu

#2469366 - 02/06/13 02:55 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Didja settle on a pedal, DBM?

#2469420 - 02/06/13 07:17 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: picker]
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

You win Caeven! I feel so inadequate... facepalm

Edited by 02R96 (02/06/13 07:25 PM)

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I can’t quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2469432 - 02/06/13 08:35 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: 02R96]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: 02R96
You win Caeven! I feel so inadequate... facepalm

Oh, I was just jokin'! I love my Plexitube, but it is in no way a "clean boost"! grin In THAT arena, you've got me outgunned! thu

#2469506 - 02/07/13 08:29 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I also have a Siegmund Double Drive preamp that uses two small military tubes, and it's not really an "overdrive," even on the "drive" setting, but adds great EQ and some subtle "sizzle." Brings tubes amps (even dead sounding ones) to life nicely.

I have one of the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube things that was obviously inspired by the Siegmund, and that I love, but it's more of a tone colorer (or generator, since I think it puts out a speaker simulated signal), and the high gain section is HIGH GAIN!!!

#2469507 - 02/07/13 08:35 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: p90jr]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nah! All this over price boutique marketing driven guitar stuff isn't where it is at. You can set it flat or you can emphsize a mid boost. Sounds great with a Marshall.

If you have really good amp. Then go old school for your clean boost.

Edited by CEB (02/07/13 08:37 AM)

#2469559 - 02/07/13 10:47 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

CEB, I'll have you know that I am a bit of a post-materialist (fancy mod lingo for "cheap") and I only buy over-priced boutique marketing driven stuff when someone else is having to part with it for cheap!!!

But yeah, when I was singing for my supper of Ramen noodles I just used a Boss GE7 Graphic EQ pedal and probably sounded just as good to non-playing audience members. I still use it to screw with other effects that come after or before it, like feeding tons of treble into a Big Muff or Fuzzulator and making awful, anti-social, nihilistic-acid FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Psychotic Reaction!

#2469571 - 02/07/13 11:20 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: p90jr]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I used to reccomend the EHX Linear Power Booster LPB-2. I don't anymore. I swear it blew up the audio output transformer in one of my amps ..... actually it me foolishish turning it up too loud using it to overdrive a vintage tweed Gibson amp that blew it up. grin

You can't get the LPB-2 anymore just the LPB-1 and it was noisy. But damn it could give some huge ass boost. 200+ db I think.

#2469574 - 02/07/13 11:32 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Yeah, the new LPBs were too noisy for my tastes.

BBE has shrunken their clean boost and it has a nice price point, I think.

I was reading a thing about the recording of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Rick Turner said he was putting the Alembic Stratoblasters into Buckingham's strats for those sessions (people assume it was a Les Paul like he was using onstage) and they could do a couple of takes before the boosted output would blow the transformers on the Hiwatt heads they were using... they were continually having to replace the transformers in the amps.

Also, the fuzz on the solo on "Go Your Own Way" was made by plugging into a reel to reel tape deck and then into the mixing desk.

#2469581 - 02/07/13 11:58 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
You might consider T. Rex's MAB Overdrive.

Michael Angelo Batio had them design it to deliver the clean boost he likes...might work for you, too.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2469801 - 02/08/13 08:41 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow lotsa options up there, all good suggestions thanks. I especially like the looks of the MXR EQ pedal.

There was once a great producer who was asked; If there was only one effect you could use and no others what would it be? And his answer was "EQ".

And from recording all these years I can attest to that as well.

#2470145 - 02/09/13 11:57 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: desertbluesman]
Fumblyfingers Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

dbm.........I have an Xotic Effects RC Booster and it is a very nice pedal and readily available. I also have the Xotic AC Booster and EP Booster. The EP is nice to leave on all the time and it just adds some girth to the signal...really warms it up along with some fatness.

The RC Booster.....Really Clean...... is a super pedal. You can add dirt to it but it's not like distortion or overdrive........just some grit. The Bass and Treble controls do a nice job and lastly there is the level control. You can use it to make up for line loss due to long cables etc or to push the front end of the amp harder.

The AC Booster....Almost Clean...... is a tad more gain-ey and you can get full on overdrive out of it with the Gain turned up high.

Both pedals are very transparent and will not color your sound.

A lot of people will tell you the Klon is the only way to go. I have not played one so I cannot comment......but I like the sound of guys I know who use them. Thing is......they are really expensive and were not even available for a long long time.

#2470261 - 02/10/13 04:25 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Fumblyfingers]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Fumblyfingers that RC booster looks real good.

#2470268 - 02/10/13 04:54 PM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Glad you liked the MXR EQ Booster DBM as I was going to suggest it also...they have a couple of models out there right now depending on how much EQ you want...good luck with the search and you'll find free shipping at sweetwater!

#2470371 - 02/11/13 05:54 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Larryz]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I have an old MXR Micro Amp that someone gave me years ago - I've never used it but this thread makes me want to pull it out and give er a whirl - anyone have any experience with this pedal?

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2470413 - 02/11/13 08:34 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: SEHpicker]
20k Club

The best "clean boost" for overdriving, boosting, fattening and compressing your leads is to simply turn a good tube-amp louder than you intend to play, roll back your guitar's volume-knobs for cleans, and bring 'em back up to taste (as well as putting a little "English" on your "touch") for grindy, chunky rhythms and overdriven, distorted leads and fills. No pedal required.

#2470442 - 02/11/13 09:43 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
The best "clean boost" for overdriving, boosting, fattening and compressing your leads is to simply turn a good tube-amp louder than you intend to play, roll back your guitar's volume-knobs for cleans, and bring 'em back up to taste (as well as putting a little "English" on your "touch") for grindy, chunky rhythms and overdriven, distorted leads and fills. No pedal required.

But isn't the whole point to be always buying more gear? I can't understand how you can be advocating not purchasing more pedals in good conscience. Shocking.

#2470444 - 02/11/13 09:48 AM Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? [Re: Scott Fraser]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

But isn't the whole point to be always buying more gear? I can't understand how you can be advocating not purchasing more pedals in good conscience. Shocking.

OK; buy some gold-plated skull-knobs with knurly rubber head-bands for pinky-traction on 'em. And some high-quality cables. That do ya, Scott?

wink thu grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose