Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2467120 - 01/30/13 02:51 PM Signature Fenders?
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
Ok, this might be about part 3 on my "getting back into guitar" question. I'm planning on spending up to $1,500 on a decent guitar. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on the signature Fender Strats, such as Clapton, Eric Johnson,etc.

I realize this is a highly subjective question, but just curious if anyone went this route.

GP Island
#2467133 - 01/30/13 03:58 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
The usual comment is to get out there and play a few of them, see what does it for you.

If I was buying another Fender I would probably get a Fifties Roadworn (approx $800) for the feel of it everyone raves about plus the maple neck.

Am not a big fan of relic-jobs and also don't like the idea of paying a royalty although I have a Chet Atkins Gretsch from way back.

On the plus side if the guitar has the sound and features you want it will avoid having to deal with and pay out $$$ for future upgrades.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2467134 - 01/30/13 04:01 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
$1500 will buy you a very good guitar from almost any reputable manufacturer. It will probably get you a slightly better guitar if nobody's getting any royalties from it.

Sometimes, though, sig models have combinations of estuaries that are simply not available on anything but that one guitar...for that price, at least.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/30/13 04:02 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2467145 - 01/30/13 04:32 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
I have 2 Fender AM. Strats and put hand wound pickups in it.
Also, I put the copper shielding in there as well.
Sounds great!

I also have a Fender AM.Telecaster Deluxe.
Love it and no need for any mods.

To me....if you get a signature model, you're mainly paying extra for a name.

One other option though...is to have it Plek'd.
http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

#2467149 - 01/30/13 04:39 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Strategery]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Yep, I hear ya...may well be a case where unique pick-ups may speak to me. Only one way to find out, and that's to try it, which in my neck of the woods can be tricky...which is why I wanted to see if anyone raved about how cool the Clapton line was.

Relics are definitely not for me, I don't get it at all.

#2467157 - 01/30/13 05:00 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Strategery]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I had a Custom Shop Clapton and sold it to my brother for what I paid for it which was about 2grand but they went up in value to about 3grand. I didn't care for the single ply pick guard, soft V neck, blocked out tremolo, vintage tuners and vintage saddles all that much and preferred my American Deluxe Strats with locking tuners and pop-in/out tremolo...on the plus side the Clapton off the rack will play and sound about as good as the Custom Shop if you're lucky.

I did like the battery sideways routed and mounted under the spring plate cover, I put a 57 pearl pickguard on it and it looked 100% better, the two tone knobs serve totally different functions: the top one serves as master tone, the bottom tone is not a tone at all and it is a clean boost with a lot of db gain for lead work. It is a very well made and set up guitar with great sound.

I only played once on an Eric Johnson and didn't care for the thicker D style vintage neck and the lack of a spring plate cover. It did play and sound very well but just wasn't the right fit for me.

If I had to pick out a new Strat, it would be an Amercian Deluxe or an American Standard. I prefer the Deluxe with a maple neck/fretboard over rosewood. I have one Deluxe Strat with an ebony fretboard which I really love but I run EMG's as you can see in my avatar...

Edited by Larryz (01/30/13 09:08 PM)

#2467181 - 01/30/13 06:24 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I would love to get a signature strat-but not from an artist...
I`m talking about the `Master Build` series-tried one two years ago and could not put it down. There are signature guitars from the luthiers.
For sheerr coolness I`d have to say Japanese anime strat from Yuri Shishkov is killer-it`s from the series `Evangelion`, which was supposed to be made into a film-I even saw the trailer-but somehow it never happened...
http://topic.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/music/guitarlabo/editors/fender_eva/

I`d also say the Ritchie Kotzen strat looks pretty cool, but I just saw a comment that it`s only sold in Japan, not sure if that`s the case:

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2467295 - 01/31/13 07:26 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: skipclone 1]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
What? No one's singing the praises of the Jimmy Vaughn signature Strat?
poke

#2467317 - 01/31/13 08:26 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Danzilla]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
Here's a cool comparison, not only of a signature Strat, but with some pickups that I want in my main Strat.

It is an SRV Strat pickup replacement of the Texas Specials with Lollar Blackface pickups.
Wow, do those Lollars sound great! rawk

Randy

http://tinyurl.com/atex6e2

#2467330 - 01/31/13 09:09 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Strategery]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

signature Strats.. hmm i have only tried one , the Eric Johnson model. i thought it was a damn nice Strat. i really liked the lack of a spring cover as i always remove those and the EJ doesn't even have the screw holes, nice and clean.

1500 can get you some sweet guitars. as for Strats you have a crap load of options seeing Fender manages to make one million versions of one guitar.
what i would do is sit down and take note of what your preferences are for a Strat, and then hunt those specs down on Fenders site.
if you have no problems with other "Strat like" models then you really have some options.

personally i would get one with a HSS setup. then you have something that can handle country right up to hard rock. a genuine Swiss army guitar.

rock it, i will

#2467331 - 01/31/13 09:14 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Guitarzan]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And personally, if I were looking to drop 1500 on a Strat, I sure as hell would include looking at Godins, G&L and Fret-Kings in my shopping.

#2467334 - 01/31/13 09:22 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Danzilla]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Danzilla
What? No one's singing the praises of the Jimmy Vaughn signature Strat?
poke

Not singing praises, but the Jimmy Vaughan has a special cut body shape and special wiring for "spice and bite". It comes with 2 single coil Tex Mex pickups at the neck and middle positions and a special "Hot" Tex Mex at the bridge, tinted maple neck with medium jumbo frets and vintage hardware...I would change the cheap single ply pickguard which is like the Claptons'...but not bad for a cheaper model...

Edited by Larryz (01/31/13 09:54 AM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2467338 - 01/31/13 09:30 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Larryz]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Good stuff guys, lots of info!

I really should try Godins etc., I seem to not get past "Gibson or Fender" in my thinking.

#2467345 - 01/31/13 09:38 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Fret-King has a nifty one that I was turned onto last year: the Supra 60 SP, which has single-coils in the middle & neck, and a P90 in the bridge...and one of the sandard colors for that model is metallic tangerine orange.

(I'm in love!)

#2467366 - 01/31/13 09:59 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Fusker
Good stuff guys, lots of info!

I really should try Godins etc., I seem to not get past "Gibson or Fender" in my thinking.

you have to understand that Fender isn't the only option. really.
as mentioned there are killer guitars out there made to high standards without the Fender name on the headstock.
i can personally say Godin has some awesome guitars. i have owned 8 of their axes. and it may interest you to know that Godin has made necks for Kramer back in the day. and they made necks for some part suppliers. their workmanships is solid. i just bought a Godin Session which is a HSS Strat style axe. it is 499.00 and in no way is the build quality and sound even close to cheap.
the neck alone is on par or anything in the Am Std Fender line up.
but if i was looking for a "Strat" i would choose a Godin Progression Boutique and save the rest for a small tube amp.

rock it, i will

#2467392 - 01/31/13 10:45 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Guitarzan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
When ever I see ads for the Clapton Strat, I remember that he got the original Blackie for around $150. I even remember one story, possibly apocryphal, that he'd bought the body and neck separately, making it one of the original "partscasters". Can't see spending $1500 for a copy, in any case.

I also have to put in a vote for Godin. Great guitars, all North American hardwoods, just none of the expensive hype.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2467466 - 01/31/13 02:38 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
When ever I see ads for the Clapton Strat, I remember that he got the original Blackie for around $150. I even remember one story, possibly apocryphal, that he'd bought the body and neck separately, making it one of the original "partscasters". Can't see spending $1500 for a copy, in any case.

I also have to put in a vote for Godin. Great guitars, all North American hardwoods, just none of the expensive hype.

I think Clapton just bought a bunch of old strats for very cheap... and assembled a couple out of the best parts of the lot.

#2467469 - 01/31/13 02:45 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A guy I play with has been assembling strats from parts he buys on eBay, for about $400 each all told. They play as well as the roadworns (which some of the parts come from).

#2467472 - 01/31/13 02:48 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

“He bought a bunch of Strats in 1970, when they were going for nearly nothing,” Dickson said of Clapton. “He brought them back to England, gave a few to his buddies like Pete Townshend and Steve Winwood, and out of the bunch that was left, he took a ’56 body, a ’57 neck, and the pickups from a third guitar, and made Blackie. He liked the look of the black body, the feel of the neck from one of the other guitars, and the sound of the pickup assembly from another guitar.”

http://www.vintageguitar.com/1963/eric-claptons-blackie/

#2467484 - 01/31/13 03:36 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Perhaps he was inspired by Johnny Cash...

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/31/13 03:36 PM)

#2467487 - 01/31/13 03:41 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

^ I've loved that song since I was a kid.

#2467499 - 01/31/13 04:08 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know what "Strat" you should look for!

See if you can find a Fernandes "Star Wars" Retrorocket! HSS configuration, with one of Yoda, Darth Vader, Boba Fett or a Storm Trooper as the top art.
Google Search

I soooooo wanted one...only a couple hundred of each were made.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/31/13 04:11 PM)

#2467505 - 01/31/13 04:29 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

That's nuts!

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I know what "Strat" you should look for!

See if you can find a Fernandes "Star Wars" Retrorocket! HSS configuration, with one of Yoda, Darth Vader, Boba Fett or a Storm Trooper as the top art.
Google Search

I soooooo wanted one...only a couple hundred of each were made.

#2467656 - 02/01/13 09:56 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

Clapton bought a lot of Strats and made Blackie so the story goes and gave his freinds new Strats as they were just so cheap he could do whatever he wanted with them. He kept Fender busy making them add "more compression" which was his term for db gain, which Fender did and the signatures have a lot more today than they had when they were first built for Clapton. The Clapton signatures are not just a copy of Blackie, they are more a copy of of the specs for the Strat that Clapton uses on stage today. The Custom Shop model is actually built and initialed under the pickguard by the same Fender Masters that build Claptons' guitar...the off the rack model for half the price, is just as good but not as carefully set up.

#2467669 - 02/01/13 10:27 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Larryz]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

To be clear, I was just throwing the Clapton model out there...any feedback on various re-issues (such as '57 or '62 ), or any other model, is also very much welcomed.

I'm just curious what people have to say on these vs. a Standard or Deluxe Strat.

I do plan to audition in person as much as possible, but my local selection is extremely limited.

#2467674 - 02/01/13 10:45 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Fusker]
BadLife Offline
Gold Member

The signature guitars are all pretty nice and I always try them out when I see them that being said I would never buy one. If I felt that the regular stuff was not going to cut it I would be looking at the Custom Shop. Not going to buy something with someone else's name on it.

#2467754 - 02/01/13 04:50 PM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: skipclone 1]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
I would love to get a signature strat-but not from an artist...
I`m talking about the `Master Build` series-tried one two years ago and could not put it down. There are signature guitars from the luthiers.
For sheerr coolness I`d have to say Japanese anime strat from Yuri Shishkov is killer-it`s from the series `Evangelion`, which was supposed to be made into a film-I even saw the trailer-but somehow it never happened...
http://topic.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/music/guitarlabo/editors/fender_eva/

I`d also say the Ritchie Kotzen strat looks pretty cool, but I just saw a comment that it`s only sold in Japan, not sure if that`s the case:

I was going to mention that the Kotzen Fenders are the best I've played.

#2467794 - 02/02/13 01:22 AM Re: Signature Fenders? [Re: Terrell]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
...which leads to the comment, that there are certainly ways to get one without getting on a plane.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose