Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2466492 - 01/29/13 02:07 AM Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed
Dpendery Offline

Loc: Taipei, Taiwan
I like a very celestial sound, and would like to take mine even further. Currently I use a Roland Cube amp which has good Boss chorus and reverb, a Homebrew Electronics compression pedal, which works wonders, and a Voodoo Labs Giggity. I am looking at a couple of pieces in the recent Guitar Player pedals special in the magazine, but I would like to ask your advice for the next level of lush, rapturous sound. Thank you. You have helped me before and I appreciate it.

GP Island
#2466499 - 01/29/13 03:47 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dpendery]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
If you already like your chorus, compressor, and O/D, then I'd suggest a delay or a flanger as the next step, or a rotary simulator. I don't always rely on the Editors Pick selection, cuz they're personal to the testers. Not every pedal out there will be fully compatible with your rig. Some cater to single coils, some to 'buckers, and many are designed to enhance tube amps. Yours is solid state....you need to try a selection with your setup, or at least one in the store that approximates your rig at home.

#2466522 - 01/29/13 05:35 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Bluesape]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Bluesape
If you already like your chorus, compressor, and O/D, then I'd suggest a delay or a flanger as the next step, or a rotary simulator. I don't always rely on the Editors Pick selection, cuz they're personal to the testers. Not every pedal out there will be fully compatible with your rig. Some cater to single coils, some to 'buckers, and many are designed to enhance tube amps. Yours is solid state....you need to try a selection with your setup, or at least one in the store that approximates your rig at home.

Good, solid advice! cool

Uhmn... it might be better to spend money on a better amp, than on a lot of pedals... That would make your existing pedals sound and feel even better than they already do. Your current amp is only going to go so far and will ultimately be a bottle-neck; probably already is.

In which case, you would then need a chorus pedal, right?

In which case, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2466523 - 01/29/13 05:36 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Bluesape]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Another vote for Delay effects. A good Delay effect will let you create ambient washes of sound, rhythmic effects, even loops, at least on some Delay pedals. Lot of sonic territory to explore, and a very expansive effect. There should be a Delay effect built into your Boss/Roland Cube amp. Although it will be very limited in terms of control, it will give you an idea of what Delay effects can add to your sound. The same knob that offers you Chorus should also have Tremolo, Phaser & Flanger, IIRC, but again, they're very limited - the knob acts as sort of a "More" control, that's all. Try all of them, and see what appeals to you.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2466550 - 01/29/13 07:09 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dpendery Offline

Above is all good advice. I do know I need a better amp, yes. That will come in time. Better delay is a very good idea, the delay on the Cube is basic. I use a Telecaster by the way, if that helps.

#2466578 - 01/29/13 08:16 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dpendery]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Slick, trick 'n' cooler 'n fr!ck:

TC Electronic Flashback Delay and Looper

Currently $169 w/ FREE SHIPPING from Sweetwater Sound as I type...

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD SOUNDS, UPDATES AND UPGRADES BY HOLDING YOUR SMARTPHONE TO YOUR GUITAR'S PICKUP WHILE CONNECTED TO THE PEDAL... !! cool

____

____

____

____

#2466583 - 01/29/13 08:33 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
If you want a rotary pedal, look no further than the Boss RT-20.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/29/13 10:17 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2466642 - 01/29/13 10:12 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
If you want a rotary pedal, look no further than the Boss RE-20.

Psst- ya mean the RT-20?

I have a Boss RT-20, and it's an EXCELLENT Leslie sim. Love it; one of my most used pedals, as a matter of fact.

I might actually more highly recommend the Option 5 Destination: Rotation Single, though- VERY lush, all analog, Vibratone type rotary sounds. I very nearly bought one at the same time that I bought the RT-20.

For Uni-Vibe type sounds, though, my pick would DEFINITELY be the Fulltone Mini Deja 'Vibe 2. WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT... !!

#2466644 - 01/29/13 10:17 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yup- thanks for catching that typo- fixed it!

#2466655 - 01/29/13 10:33 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
+1 on a Delay...there are lots of them out there and it will really bring your reverb alive...I have an MXR Carbon copy that I like real well, so you might want to listen to some youtube demos on this and other delay pedals...

#2466812 - 01/29/13 06:08 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dpendery]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Dpendery
I like a very celestial sound, and would like to take mine even further. Currently I use a Roland Cube amp which has good Boss chorus and reverb, a Homebrew Electronics compression pedal, which works wonders, and a Voodoo Labs Giggity. I am looking at a couple of pieces in the recent Guitar Player pedals special in the magazine, but I would like to ask your advice for the next level of lush, rapturous sound. Thank you. You have helped me before and I appreciate it.

How are you liking the Giggity? I've been enjoying messing with it with a lot of different guitars and amps, tube and solid state (zT Lunchbox Jr, Vox Pathfinder). It's come in handy on gigs when I wanted a different tone for something... I need to put an acoustic through it and see how that works out.

#2466865 - 01/30/13 01:15 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2467261 - 01/31/13 05:41 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dpendery Offline

Yes, a delay must be in order. There are so many of them though, it's a tough choice. I guess that's my next solicitation for advice--probably get 100s of replies.
That Janglebox could be interesting, but hard to see how anything can top the Homebrew compression (the Jangle calls itself compression).
As for the Giggity I have learned to like it. It's fairly subtle, nothing like the Homebrew for elevating sound. It's a bit less than I expected, but combined with the compression, it does seem to fatten up the sound nicely. Of course I go with the "sun" sound, and turn Loudness all the way down as it that was just a sort of distortion/overdrive thing.

Edited by Dpendery (01/31/13 06:13 AM)

#2467305 - 01/31/13 08:09 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dpendery]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No, don't turn Loudness down, turn Loudness UP!!!!

wink

#2467354 - 01/31/13 09:47 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I use a Janglebox (which is integral to a couple of the bands I play in) and a Barber Tone Press, which is a little different as far as compressors go... doesn't have that characteristic "pop" at the beginning of the note because it's designed differently or something.

#2467358 - 01/31/13 09:50 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

an explanation of the Barber Tone Press and its "parallel compression."

http://www.in2guitar.com/press.html

#2467432 - 01/31/13 12:30 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I use a Janglebox (which is integral to a couple of the bands I play in) and a Barber Tone Press, which is a little different as far as compressors go... doesn't have that characteristic "pop" at the beginning of the note because it's designed differently or something.

An explanation of the Barber Tone Press and its "parallel compression."

http://www.in2guitar.com/press.html

I bet that the Barber Tone Press would be an excellent compressor for humbuckers...

While the HBE CPR (referred to above), and similar compressor-pedals, is MAGIC for single-coil pickups, though not so great for humbuckers.

#2467541 - 01/31/13 09:34 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Fumblyfingers Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a TC Electronic Chorus/Flanger and really like it....they've been the staple for years. I also have a 4 knob Keeley Compressor and it's a fabulous pedal. Check out the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay if you go for a delay pedal. It has a modulation button that adds a chorus-ey effect....very nice. I love mine and use it a lot. I wouldn't mind two......one for a quick slapback and one for a bit longer so I don't have to putz with changing the knobs. laugh

#2467661 - 02/01/13 10:08 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Fumblyfingers]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
If I hadn't bought the Mustang Floor, I was going to run two (maybe even three) Tech 21 blondes for clean, distortion and boost and/or other Fender amp sounds. I could see having two MXR Carbon Copys in line Fumbly. I used to run two Compressors in line but didn't run them together as they were used for two different settings one MXR for clean boost and the other Dyna Comp MXR for more sustain when running distortion...with the multi-effects, I can set up different patches and adjustments without fumbling with the knobs... cool

#2467685 - 02/01/13 11:36 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you can find it, the out-of-production Visual Sound H2O chorus/echo pedal is a real winner.

#2467752 - 02/01/13 04:48 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
If you want Celestial, you should get a second amp and run stereo through a Dimension D and VP88. Nothing like it!

#2467818 - 02/02/13 06:32 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
simus35 Offline

Loc: Canada(Kingston)
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
No, don't turn Loudness down, turn Loudness UP!!!!

wink

wow thanks for this sound, I forgot this band. and now I will listen again and put in my ipad.wow thanks again

Marshall VM2266
fender ’65 Twin Reverb reissue
Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA
Godin Artisan ST-5
Godin LG Signature
Seagull S6
Yes I love Godin guitar

#2467988 - 02/02/13 07:21 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
bherward Offline

+1 for the Visual Sound h2o...but the VS Route 66 has the same compressor pair with a TS9/8 overdrive. Just checked their site...the pedals are available separately as the Comp 66 and the Liquid Chorus..hope that helps. Keeley gets the best reviews I've seen, but haven't used it.

#2467990 - 02/02/13 07:24 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: bherward]
bherward Offline

a side note...no chorus/phase/flange etc is as lush as a single 12" Leslie speaker on slow. Throws reverb and delayed sound around the room. Fantastic.

#2468015 - 02/02/13 10:23 PM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: bherward]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

These don't suck:

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/02/13 10:23 PM)

#2468032 - 02/03/13 02:59 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: bherward]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Fumblyfingers
I have a TC Electronic Chorus/Flanger and really like it....they've been the staple for years.

Hey, Lister!

I'll second the TC StCh/Fl + for chorus/flanger sounds! One the best, if not THE best, in the biz! cool

Originally Posted By: bherward
a side note...no chorus/phase/flange etc is as lush as a single 12" Leslie speaker on slow. Throws reverb and delayed sound around the room. Fantastic.

WANT WANT WANT a real Leslie... ! I want one with a horn and a woofer, but a Leslie 16/Fender Vibratone is also very, very nice... thu cool

#2468064 - 02/03/13 07:57 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bherward Offline

I had a few leslies over ther years, and to my ears nothing beats the Baldwin leslie for guitars. It's a single 12" with the wooden low rotor. This is the secret to great tone. The Leslies with the cheese wheel styro rotor just don't have the sound. I've never really like 122/147 organ style cabinets because the upper horn imparts too much high frequency weirdness. That said, there are a lot of good Leslie sims out there that do it pretty well. Korg G4 and the Neo Ventilator being my favorite for keys, but for guitar there are many options/ Boss, Line 6, etc.
I would however love a new Leslie g27/37 for guitar and keys...It's just so compact but lots of $$

#2468070 - 02/03/13 08:14 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: bherward]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: bherward
I had a few leslies over ther years, and to my ears nothing beats the Baldwin leslie for guitars. It's a single 12" with the wooden low rotor. This is the secret to great tone. The Leslies with the cheese wheel styro rotor just don't have the sound. I've never really like 122/147 organ style cabinets because the upper horn imparts too much high frequency weirdness. That said, there are a lot of good Leslie sims out there that do it pretty well. Korg G4 and the Neo Ventilator being my favorite for keys, but for guitar there are many options/ Boss, Line 6, etc.
I would however love a new Leslie g27/37 for guitar and keys...It's just so compact but lots of $$

Thanks for the info! I was not aware of these Baldwin BL-1 Lslies!

Look like this?

I have and love a Boss RT-20 pedal, myself. I use it a LOT, and I often like to tag-team it with my Foxrox Octron, and also my Sustainiac acoustic-feedback generator for keys-like sustain.

#2468096 - 02/03/13 09:57 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
bherward Offline

Can't believe you found a picture..I had one years ago with a ghetto on/off switch since it's single speed. It's easy to find a two speed motor set from ebay to change it..but you'll have to figure out how to wire it. Goff makes 2 speed kits as well. Mine had darker wood and an oxblood grill like cream tolex fenders had. Gave it to a friend of mine for his surf band..they ran an Farfisa compact through it full blast...sick. They sound better than leslie 16's because they have more air in the cabinet and the wooden rotor. Warm and lush..perfect for guitar. They're hard to find but cheap when you find them...Black tolex Leslies 825/760 are great for guitars as well even though they are solid state...find one with the pedal preamp if you can..
Right now I've got a Line 6 Rotomachine, not great, but better than the 90's sim in my Oberheim OB3 organ. Got a box full of parts to build a compact leslie if I ever get the time.

on a side note: if you are a builder..you can find cheese wheel leslies inside all kinds of cheap organs...people sell them on ebay..they are 2 speed and are commmonly used for diy leslies. You could even put on in front of an amp for a subtler effect.

Edited by bherward (02/03/13 09:58 AM)

#2468284 - 02/04/13 12:39 AM Re: Good chorus/compression pedal advice needed [Re: bherward]
Dpendery Offline

Whew, you guys know what the hell you are talking about. If I ever have any guitar/amp questions, I will only come here. I hope I can get a better amp some time soon, something with two 12's I am pretty sure. Tube sound is no doubt almost essential. I am by no means an expert in all this stuff, and so I usually go with fairly standard issues, I just want to get something very solid, dependable, not too expensive, and with the best possible tone.
In any case, I think that with all of this it still seems that I need a better delay unit that can do more. The problem with all these pedals is that I set them up, switch them on, and then find it hard to change them much when I am playing. So I cannot move around a lot and experiment with this sound and that. There is probably some computerized pedal board that allows you to change on the fly, but I doubt I will be getting anything that specialized. Maybe I need a good sound man, but that too is in the future.
Thanks for the help again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose