M_G Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
M
Hi,

there is a lot of talk (and hype) about the Kawai VPC and
the Privia PX5s...

Did anybody check out the new Numa Concert?

Specs look very promising..

cheers
Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5, Yamaha CP88, Montage 7, Prophet 5, Korg Wavedrum, Neo Vent
Live: UHL X4-V2, Hammond SK Pro73, Roland SA1000
Keyboard Corner Island
I only had a few minutes with the Numa Concert. Nice looking contrast from the obviously lighter Numa organ/ Numa piano. After playing the Numa piano and then sampling the Numa Concert, I didn't detect a strong difference between the onboard voices. In all fairness, I was not listening closely for piano string resonance, other subtle variations/ improvements, etc. Also; I didn't look closely at the MIDI controller capabilities...

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I played it as well... Very nice... But I preferred the Numa Piano 2

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Originally Posted By: Hammonddave
I played it as well... Very nice... But I preferred the Numa Piano 2

"Numa Piano 2" - never heard of that one, please share your knowledge :-)

www.alex-nagel.de
NORD Stage 3 88, HAMMOND SK1, FENDER Rhodes Mk2 73 Stage, SEILER 132 Konzert, 2x YAMAHA DXR10, 2x FBT Vertus CLA 208 SA.
Originally Posted By: MisterM/M_G
Hi,

there is a lot of talk (and hype) about the Kawai VPC and
the Privia PX5s...

Did anybody check out the new Numa Concert?

Specs look very promising..

cheers
Markus

This has just been posted by Studiologic via facebook:

Numa Concert Demo

www.alex-nagel.de
NORD Stage 3 88, HAMMOND SK1, FENDER Rhodes Mk2 73 Stage, SEILER 132 Konzert, 2x YAMAHA DXR10, 2x FBT Vertus CLA 208 SA.
That sounds really good! I've previously owned the Numa Piano which looks exactly like this one. It had a good tone, but everything else sucked. This one sounds better. The bottom notes sounds more like a grand piano. If the Concert has a better action I might give Studiologic another go even though their customer service is pretty much none existing.

Roland RD800, EV zxa1
M
M
Terrible demo...just loads of tedious jazz chords/licks. Is this keyboard any good for Chopin? I have no idea from that.

MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Marillion
Terrible demo...just loads of tedious jazz chords/licks. Is this keyboard any good for Chopin? I have no idea from that.

Seriously? What more do you need to hear besides how the piano sounds? If you don't like the sound, you won't be playing Chopin or anything else on it, will you? idea

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wow, the sounds really remind me of the Yamaha CP33. So glad I sold it.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.
I played it for a good 10 minutes at NAMM. It feels more like a piano than any keyboard on the market. It sounds incredible too - definitely more detailed than the numa Piano (which I liked, as well).

Only downside is the weight. I think it came in around 44 lbs., which is simply way too heavy for me to carry it around NYC. That's why I'll be picking up a Privia Pro.

By the way, I played a few Chopin etudes and preludes on it, and it is GREAT for classical work.

atomicfunkproject.com
A
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Originally Posted By: erikjamesmusic
I played it for a good 10 minutes at NAMM. It feels more like a piano than any keyboard on the market. It sounds incredible too - definitely more detailed than the numa Piano (which I liked, as well).

Only downside is the weight. I think it came in around 44 lbs., which is simply way too heavy for me to carry it around NYC. That's why I'll be picking up a Privia Pro.

By the way, I played a few Chopin etudes and preludes on it, and it is GREAT for classical work.

I┤ve just seen it advertised here for EUR 1.499.- which would be great.

Specs (in italian language) and more pics here

Basicly I understood everything and to me it appears to be a cool instrument for my demands.

A.C.

V
Gold Member
Gold Member
V
It actually sounds much better to me than the Numa Piano (which I have owned more than once!) - at least in terms of AP samples. EPs sound about the same as those in its predecessor (quite good but limited in variety). The big red flag, as thomsurf notes, is the appalling level of customer service from Fatar/Studiologic, although the distributors do their best to compensate - when they can.

What's good about the demo is that it allows you to hear the resonance and the broad range of dynamics quite clearly, as well as how the samples are either very long, or the looping is well done. The Numa Piano had (according to Studiologic) 1GB of samples; IIRC, this one has 1GB devoted to APs - not bad.

Last edited by voxpops; 03/08/13 04:27 PM.
H
Gold Member
Gold Member
H
Originally Posted By: Morizzle

For a 10 year old model, I think the CP33 is still a viable gigging slab. It has Yamaha's best action and I prefer the main AP sound over anything in in my Motif ES8 and ES rack by a margin. Other sounds are another story... Controller features are okay, much better than I had in my P90 slab, but years behind Kurzweil in that regard.

I have not tried the Nord piano yet, but I gather from posts around here that it is lacking in some essential controller features. Correct me if I am wrong.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."
"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: humannoyed
Originally Posted By: Morizzle

For a 10 year old model, I think the CP33 is still a viable gigging slab. It has Yamaha's best action and I prefer the main AP sound over anything in in my Motif ES8 and ES rack by a margin. Other sounds are another story... Controller features are okay, much better than I had in my P90 slab, but years behind Kurzweil in that regard.

I have not tried the Nord piano yet, but I gather from posts around here that it is lacking in some essential controller features. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hey humannoyed, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the CP33, it's just not the keyboard for me anymore.

I loved the CP33's keyboard action and it was my practice board for over 4 years, but the sounds didn't do it for me. I used to like the Yamaha Pianos a lot, but at some point the sterileness of the sound started bugging me, and I couldn't get it to sound good live in mono.

In the last three years, I have used MIDI live once, so the lack of controller capabilities in the Nord Piano is not an issue for me. YMMV.

It just struck me when I listend to the Numa demo that the sounds and their variations are (to my ears) very similar to the CP33.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.
Concerning the Studologic Numa Concert / Nero - I was considering purchasing one (or the Kawai VPC1 which also has a 3-sensor Wooden Key Graded-hammer action).

Can anyone tell me however if the Studiologic models support half pedelling capability?

Also, head to head: How does the TP/40 Wood and TP/400 actions by Fatar compare to Kawai's keyboard action? I realize that the Studiologic Concert can serve as a stand alone unit as well as a controller, so am considering this as well. However, the keyboard must serve as both an at (practice) home and lower keyboard for a stage rig.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

M
M
There is a brief mention of the action in the recent Summer NAMM 2013 thread on here from a forum user who played it - he seemed very impressed with it, but said the sound wasn't as good as expected. However I doubt it can be any worse than their previous model, the Numa, which had a very decent piano sample. Weight-wise he said it was ok, too.

Like you I am very interested in the Numa Concert since action is becoming more important for me over the nuances of the samples. I think most digital pianos these days have a perfectly good piano sound, and I'm more and more convinced it's the action that keeps you coming back to a digital piano to play/practice.

I'm in Europe and Thomann in Germany are currently advertising it so I'm thinking of taking the plunge as they're a reliable firm...I am concerned about Studiologic's reputation in customer service though.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard