Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2465598 - 01/25/13 06:33 PM Advice if possible
slyder Offline

As a newbie to this site I was wondering if any of my bros or sisters could lead me in the direction of David Gilmoure's sound? I would appreciate any and all feedback. Sound is in our fingers and hearts, but I am trying to get his basic sound as far as effects pedals. Practice will take it from there. Thanx. Peace and Harmony

GP Island
#2465604 - 01/25/13 06:48 PM Re: Advice if possible [Re: slyder]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

There's entire websites dedicated to this... his guitars, pedals and amps and how they mic them live and in the studio...

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205

Here's the thing, though... it's his famous black strat, right? the one with the EMG pickups, and that early Ram's Head EH Big Muff pedal...

Except I saw him play a few songs on something recently and he playing an old Gretsch Duo Jet and he sounded like himself.

When I've had to play Pink Floyd songs I just hit compression, delay and a fuzz pedal (Big Muff, Demeter Fuzzulator or ZVEX Fuzz Factory set to "60s Fuzz")... and that sounds close.

#2465605 - 01/25/13 06:48 PM Re: Advice if possible [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

oh, and welcome to the board!!!

#2465632 - 01/25/13 08:40 PM Re: Advice if possible [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k-CQuiTw4 <--- this may give you a tip or two...welcome aboard!

#2465641 - 01/25/13 09:01 PM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Someone around here had posted a link to a video illustrating how a Boss RT-20 could simulate Gilmour's use of the Leslie rotary cabs...

Here it is:

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/25/13 09:03 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2465656 - 01/25/13 10:10 PM Re: Advice if possible [Re: slyder]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Gilmour's sound is more about the arc of his bends & shape of his vibrato than anything else. He is as recognizable on acoustic as he is on his black Strat due to the way he bends notes.

#2465687 - 01/26/13 04:55 AM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Scott Fraser]
banrnadshah Offline

Loc: New York
Its little difficult to play Pink Floyd songs I just advice you it needs lot of exercise and skills.I am not an expert but just an ordinary person.
Thanks for saying Peace and Harmony.

#2465963 - 01/27/13 07:46 AM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Gilmour's sound is more about the arc of his bends & shape of his vibrato than anything else. He is as recognizable on acoustic as he is on his black Strat due to the way he bends notes.

Much agreed.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2465986 - 01/27/13 08:31 AM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I've got to support Scott and Caevan on this point. If you can't nail, or approximate, Gilmour's technique, all the gear in the world won't get you there - and I say that as a dedicated gearhead.

We're not trying to discourage you, just point you in the right direction - the playing comes first, then you can exploit the potential of all that gear, and possibly come up with a sound that's your own. Good luck, and have fun.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2466015 - 01/27/13 09:40 AM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
When I said "welcome aboard" there was no pun intended, but now there is. If you click on the link I posted and watch the video, you will hear David on board his house boat telling the interviewer that he can't get his sound that he gets on stage in the little boat cabin. But, then he switches from his blue Strat to his black Strat, hauls out a Fender Tweed and his distortion pedal and says he'll give you kind of an idea of his sound. Paraphrasing: You've got to have distortion and when he's on stage he can lean back against his wall of sound and get his inspiration, and he loves his Strat, etc...

It's true that you have to have technique in order to get his sound and it's also true that you will never capture it on a boat, on a stage or in a bedroom and especially on an acoustic guitar no matter how much you practice...but don't be discourged, continue your quest and think about using a Strat, a Fender amp and some distortion for starters. Get an teacher that is also into Gilmour and cop some licks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL3O7NmgpI <---- here's an on stage acoustic version, in case you want to try the acoustic route (a little harder on the finger bends for capturing his sound)...some of the electric sounds in the boat cabin are not that great, but it's a good place to begin and even David says [HE] doesn't sound like David in the cabin. It's always good to check out a performers' equipment and discography that you want to emulate (ie. Benson, Gilmour, Atkins, Knofler, Beck, Taylor, Emmanuel, BB, Guy, Stevie Ray, EVH, etc.)

Edited by Larryz (01/27/13 06:01 PM)
Edit Reason: acoustic acknowledement...

#2466294 - 01/28/13 09:58 AM Re: Advice if possible [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Here's another avenue to explore - see how "the other Dave" (Dave Kilminster, who plays guitar with Roger Waters) approaches the classic Pink Floyd sounds.
Dave Kilminster's gear page

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose