Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2464958 - 01/23/13 08:26 PM Newbie
autorpm Offline

Loc: Calgary AB. Canada
wave New to the forum. Thought id say hi.

GP Island
#2464960 - 01/23/13 08:34 PM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Hello & welcome.

#2464961 - 01/23/13 08:35 PM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Hi from the forum! What say you tell us a bit about yourself, your musical exploits, all the usual bits? wave
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2465008 - 01/24/13 05:07 AM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Welcome aboard the SS GP auto, the mostest bestestest guitar forum going!

#2465009 - 01/24/13 05:09 AM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Welcome aboard, friend. wave

#2465045 - 01/24/13 07:29 AM Re: Newbie [Re: Fred_C]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Welcome autorpm!

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2465053 - 01/24/13 07:54 AM Re: Newbie [Re: SEHpicker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Why the "embarassed" emoticon? You, unlike me and many others here, haven't written anything yet to be embarassed about!

But welcome, friend. Can't wait to read any contributions or comments.
Whitefang

#2465062 - 01/24/13 08:16 AM Re: Newbie [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Welcome aboard autorpm!

#2465310 - 01/24/13 07:01 PM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
autorpm Offline

Loc: Calgary AB. Canada
I am 47 years old and just started playing the electric guitar when i turned 40. I wish I had learned when I was young. My main Axe is a Peavey exp. limited and i run that through a 200w Crate stereo head into a 4x12.
I am also a huge Jimi Hendrix fan and have an entire room in my home dedicated to him . Trying to self teach but feel like not going anyware sometimes.

P.S how do you use your own photo instead of the avatar given

#2465321 - 01/24/13 08:03 PM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's been so long I have forgot the photo/avatar method I used, but hopefully Astring will see your post and give you directions or some of the avid avatar dudes will chime in. All I remember is taking a picture and opening an account on photobucket. Size the picture you want to use as the avatar to less than 140x140 pixels, then under your profile post the link from photobucket on the URL space and that's about it...hope this is helpful but I'm 63 and have senior moments...you're still a young 47 and have plenty of time to learn new stuff. Don't be afraid of traning DVD's and/or taking lessons. cool

#2465396 - 01/25/13 06:18 AM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: autorpm
how do you use your own photo instead of the avatar given

-Click on the little arrow next to the words "My Stuff" at the top of the screen.
-From the drop down menu, select "Profile".
-Scroll down to the box that says "Select the radio button next to the option you are using to change your image."
-Click on the radio button (the round one) that says "URL to your avatar (Your image must be smaller than 140x140 pixels; .gif, .jpg, .png accepted)".
-Paste the URL for your avatar image into the box.
-Click on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page.

----------

For the image, I'd recommend using a site like photobucket.com . Upload your image (make sure it is no larger than 140x140) and then copy and paste the URL into the box that I mentioned, earlier.

If you have any issues, feel free to ask here, or you can PM me if you require more in depth assistance.

Welcome to the forum!
My Pics

#2465437 - 01/25/13 08:06 AM Re: Newbie [Re: autorpm]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Lessons, find teacher, lessons!!! Best advice I can pass on brother, same advice I was given when I started playing again after a 23 year void. Wonder where I got that advice....oh yeah, it was from the great folks on this forum, go figure!

#2465470 - 01/25/13 09:35 AM Re: Newbie [Re: LeftyBlues]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: LeftyBlues
Lessons, find teacher, lessons!!! Best advice I can pass on brother, same advice I was given when I started playing again after a 23 year void. Wonder where I got that advice....oh yeah, it was from the great folks on this forum, go figure!

+1!!! But not just any teacher. IMHO It is absolutely imperative that you find a teacher who plays and teaches the musical genre you want to learn I started playing before you were born (1964) and have studied with 4 very good teachers, all of whom were expert in the music I was interested in playing at the time (one for basic technique, one for Blues and two for Jazz). This is the best advice I can offer. Keep us posted on your progress. All of the members here will be more than happy to help in any way possible. GOOD LUCK!

#2465547 - 01/25/13 03:14 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Fred_C]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Greetings from the eastern suburbs.
Well broadly speaking, there`s education and talent-probably `be born talented` is a little after the fact-next best advice is, get musically edjacated grin
I do think the advice about finding the right teacher is good-but I did not follow that path and I would say, if you have a solid direction musically, you are totally in love with (X) music and that`s where you want to go, then absolutely find a teacher who is as passionate about it as you are. If that is not where you are at then frankly, I`d say avoid teachers who tell you `this is how to play guitar`. Um...no. Your goal should be to learn MUSIC. To be a musician. Choose the most literate teachers you can find, ideally someone who has worked in an orchestra
pit, who knows multiple instruments.

Edited by skipclone 1 (01/25/13 03:23 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2465562 - 01/25/13 04:16 PM Re: Newbie [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHM2hXTPZlk <---- don't forget to check out youtube for a few Hendrix licks just for fun...

#2465563 - 01/25/13 04:18 PM Re: Newbie [Re: skipclone 1]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Greetings from the eastern suburbs.
Well broadly speaking, there`s education and talent-probably `be born talented` is a little after the fact-next best advice is, get musically edjacated grin
I do think the advice about finding the right teacher is good-but I did not follow that path and I would say, if you have a solid direction musically, you are totally in love with (X) music and that`s where you want to go, then absolutely find a teacher who is as passionate about it as you are. If that is not where you are at then frankly, I`d say avoid teachers who tell you `this is how to play guitar`. Um...no. Your goal should be to learn MUSIC. To be a musician. Choose the most literate teachers you can find, ideally someone who has worked in an orchestra
pit, who knows multiple instruments.

Well said, Skip. A valid and viable point of view.

#2465565 - 01/25/13 04:24 PM Re: Newbie [Re: Fred_C]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

welcome , i am sure you will love it here. lots of helpful forumites and info.

rock it, i will

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose