Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

I think it all depends on the price and the actual sound quality. If it comes in at around $1,000 (or half an Electro 4D) it might gain some traction. A lot of people are looking for bread and butter sounds in a lightweight package. Up to now, Roland has rarely delivered on EP samples, so much will depend on how they've done in that department. The organ sounds (from the videos) may be typical Roland VK, but they sound WAY better than Casio's in my opinion. The lack of complete on-board control for the organ parameters is limiting, but possibly not crucial for some players. The synth seems to have some flexibility (more than in the VR-700). The biggest negative is having to buy an iPad (unless you already own one, of course) if you want full control over the sound-shaping parameters.

Yeah, I think they need to market this as an all-in-one first and a hammond clone second. The video is structured that way and it makes sense. Play to your strengths (better overall non-organ sounds than the Hammond or Electro) and it also does organ. I could see it appealing to people who might buy a MOX/Motif but need better organ sounds.

After watching the longer demo posted above I agree. It makes a lot of sense as a second tier board. You could put almost any weighted action on the first tier and use the APs/EPs out of the VR. I think the VR name threw me off. Decent clonewheel, good synth and ROMpler sounds, pitch bend, etc. I think the whole thing makes a lot of sense to your average cover band player.

Busch.

You could put almost any weighted action on the first tier and use the APs/EPs out of the VR.

I thought someone said that it only has MIDI-out - no MIDI-in.

No MIDI IN and OUT plus it appears to have PEDAL IN (Roland bass pedals shown in a number of photos).

Busch.

Thanks, I've changed my post above.

Juno Di with sliders. Check.

Entry level keyboard rather than clonewheel. Check.

Electro killer? Meh.

For budget conscious purchasers it might be their 'Electro'. I don't know how this system sounds in real life (and no NAMM tickets, argh), so I can't personally say how much you lose if you get this one half the price of an Electro 4.

Or you can by a used Electro 3 and have way better sounds.

As I said I can't judge before I hear this keyboard in real life. Also, it has far more tweaks for synthesizer use than an Electro plus far more effects so for adventurous keyboard players it's a bonus.

Depending on the price, I see this board as more of a Casio XW-P1 competitor. Drawsliders, sub-par Hammond sound (but can pull it off in a pinch), the ability to use the sliders to tweak the VA stuff, bread & butter ROMpler sounds.

It's being listed at £729 in UK, don't know what that will end up being in the US market, but it looks like a good 2nd tier board.

Or you can by a used Electro 3 and have way better sounds.

Maybe, but no splits/layers, no real drawbars, no pitch/mod controls...

At any rate, comparing a new product with a used product almost always favors the used one if looked at as nothing but value per dollar. That the Roland might even compete new with a used E3 speaks well of the Roland. (I saw a reference elsewhere to the Roland possibly being $1199, not bad.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The action is unknown. If this stuff gets too cheap, then you get the unweighted crap. But if it's the same semi weighted action as the Jupiters, that would be a damn nice for $1200. The Krome and MOX6 are unweighted, in roughly the same price range.

It's unknown if this is going to feel more like the VRs or a Juno.

Busch.

Looks to me like a solid option for many players. Yes, it's lightweight, runs on batteries, etc.. But it appears far from being a toy. I use a JP-50, sometimes covering gigs with that as a single 'board. From reading up on the VR-09, and listening to the demos, it seems to be in a similar league, sonically, to the JP-50. Actually wish I had those mini-drawbars on my JP. Obviously a lot more can be done with the JP series keyboards, but for what it does the VR-09 seems a very attractive option.

Granted it's not a Stage 2 Compact, nor a Kronos 61; doesn't appear designed to compete with those instruments though. Chances are I'd take a VR-09 over a Krome 61 though, especially if needing to cover drawbar organs; if necessary the synth engine could always be expanded via module, iPad synth app, etc..

Regarding comparisons made to the XW-P1: I think they're different animals, and 'compete' at different price points. The Modeled/ROMpler engine in the VR-09 is at a much higher level than that in the XW-P1; same with VR-09's VK organ engine 'vs' the organ engine of the XW-P1. Where the XW-P1 is crazy-good is the Hex Synth engine. The combinations and controller features are a big plus, too. A compact, synth rig combining the XW-P1 and VR-09 would be quite strong, IMO.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Already on Sweetwater, at 999 bucks (the same price as a Juno Gi there). Seems right for what the instrument offers so far.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Would be interesting to know if this thing actually contains an updated organ engine. The "Supernatural" part is new, and there's also mention of a new model of a "transistor-type 60's organ tone". So they have clearly been doing some work on their organ simulation. How much, nobody knows yet.

12 lbs. 3 oz. Based on the price, weight and photos it appears to be all plastic construction. Is the JunoGI all plastic? How's the Juno's action? I assume unweighted, not Jupiter class.

Well with the Nords keep creeping up in price and HS thinks it can sell an 88-key version of the SK-1 for $3,000 (WTF). I think Roland will do really well with this one. Like the Krome some of the sounds are much better than what you'd expect in this price range.

The RD-64 is $999 as well.

Busch.