Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2464237 - 01/21/13 10:44 AM Dragonfire: anybody heard of these?
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Looking for parts for the Strat-O-Bastard, I came across this site - Dragonfire Guitars. They seem to be mining the same ground as Guitar Fetish, even to price points, with some variations in product line - their color selection for pickguards, knobs & pickup covers is pretty entertaining. Anyhow, has anyone here ordered from them, or had any experience with their pickups?

Some of their pre-wired pickguards looked like they had better shielding than similar GFS products, and they claim to be using Fender pickguards, FWIW. I read a couple of reviews on the site, where people seemed happy with the drop-ins, but I'd still like to know more.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

GP Island
#2464248 - 01/21/13 10:58 AM Re: Dragonfire: anybody heard of these? [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Seen some on the Bay, and played a strat that had been refitted with a set of Dragonfire p/ups. It was okay, I don't recall being wowed, but I wasn't saying "yuuuk" either.

#2464258 - 01/21/13 11:14 AM Re: Dragonfire: anybody heard of these? [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Thanks, Picker. I don't expect stellar tone, for the price, but I'm pretty sure they'll be an upgrade from the MIC Squier pups that are in there now.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2464351 - 01/21/13 04:46 PM Re: Dragonfire: anybody heard of these? [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I suspect the tone depends on which ones you get. Check out their web page, they have three different sets of strat p/ups, including their version of Texas Specials, as just p/ups of prewired into pickguards. They even have a David Gilmour pickguard with the same electronics as his signature EMG set up, or their version of them, at least, for $129. To me, it would be worth getting just to see how good they are.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose