Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 107 of 114 < 1 2 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 113 114 >
Topic Options
#2874823 - 08/24/17 02:16 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: AnotherScott]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: xKnuckles
I don't like their system of having only 4 registrations in each bank. 10 would be much better. And I REALLY don't like having to use the wheel after bank 4. I find it fiddly and awkward. Worst of all, I hate the way that the VR wont accept midi programme change messages.

Yes... whether from its front panel or via an iPad app, there is basically no way to quickly/accurately call up any presets after the first 16. That's one of the board's biggest irritations, of which there were too many, I ended up returning the board. But I have an FA-07 on order and am looking forward to playing with that, as it seems to address most of what bugged me about the VR-09. I do wish they had included drawbars on it, but at least I have an Ocean Beach module that I can use.

The FA07 is a very versatile and good sounding board for sure. But don't expect to get the same good organ sounds like from the VR09. I owned both for a while, FA06 and VR09. In comparison the FA lacks quite a few features of the VR09 in the organ and Leslie sim department. Anyway, the Ocean Beach drawbar controller works fine with it.

KC Island
#2874850 - 08/24/17 05:50 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: TomKittel]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Yes... whether from its front panel or via an iPad app, there is basically no way to quickly/accurately call up any presets after the first 16. That's one of the board's biggest irritations, of which there were too many, I ended up returning the board.

I have made it work for me, but it makes things more complicated than they need to be.

Here's what made it even harder to work with for me: The very limited patch recall function prompted me to look at the VR primarily as a "grab the sounds you need as you need them" board (reserving patch recall for a handful of special cases)... that seemed to be what the board was best suited for, and that can be a very useful paradigm as well. I tried using it that way, but switching to organ was problematic. It's been a while since I've had the board, so I may have some detail wrong (so maybe someone here will confirm), but IIRC, if I was playing an organ sound (to which I always added some overdrive, and the rotary effect), and then switched to some other sound, I couldn't switch back to the organ sound I had just been playing. The overdrive (and EQ) settings would be gone, and I'd have to turn the rotary back on. Roland did provide a way to store a default key click and leakage setting (I don't recall whether those could be altered for a particular registration?), such that you'd have those settings whenever you selected organ from the front panel, which was good. But there was no way to specify a default overdrive, EQ, or rotary-enable setting, so the organ didn't come up with a usable (to me) default organ sound, and it wasn't as simple as just setting those things once and starting to play because, as I said, if I switched away from organ to piano, and then switched back to organ, I'd have to make all those settings all over again, mid-song.

To work around that, I figured I'd use the first Registration button to call up an organ sound I liked, but that was still limited in this "real time sound creation" paradigm because, if I moved any drawbars, then switched to another sound, there was no way to get back to the drawbar setting I had just been playing (you'd have to move every drawbar again), and IIRC, you'd also lose some of the other features/flexibility that you get when calling up your sounds in "real time"... i.e. a registration sound doesn't instantly "mix-and-match" with the other front panel sounds, it resets everything. But my memory is hazy on the details, I mostly just remember not finding that a great solution either.

Originally Posted By: TomKittel
I have an FA-07 on order and am looking forward to playing with that, as it seems to address most of what bugged me about the VR-09. I do wish they had included drawbars on it, but at least I have an Ocean Beach module that I can use.

The FA07 is a very versatile and good sounding board for sure. But don't expect to get the same good organ sounds like from the VR09. I owned both for a while, FA06 and VR09. In comparison the FA lacks quite a few features of the VR09 in the organ and Leslie sim department. Anyway, the Ocean Beach drawbar controller works fine with it.

Yes, I know the FA lacks the C/V organ functions (which I guess was one way of addressing the complaints about the VR's percussion going through its C/V!), and its rotary/overdrive sound is different and (IMO) not as good. But I have a Ventilator, so I intend to send the organ out the Sub Out to the Vent. (The Vent is not nearly as usable on a VR09 because the lack of a sub out or even mono L/R sound panning means that you can't put it on organ without putting it on any other split/layered sound you may be using; plus you have to always remember to switch it in or out of bypass when switching to/from organ sounds.) The Vent won't address every organ shortcoming of the VR, but a least every time I switch to organ, I should have the rotary/overdrive effect I want, and it will be not just a better rotary/overdrive than what's in the FA, but also better than what's in the VR. Although (afaik) the FA+OB drawbars still won't give me a method to instantly read the "live" drawbar settings, I think I might be able to switch away from organ and then back to organ without losing the drawbar settings I had just been playing, basically by just switching the organ sound in or out within the current Studio Set, plus I can store a bunch of different drawbar settings for easy recall without the roadblock of not wanting to use up too many of the precious first 16 registrations of the VR. So all in all, I think it will work better for me as an organ than the FA did. (Plus, I also have the option of using the FA in conjunction with a better organ sound elsewhere in my rig anyway... unlike my interest in the VR, organ is only a secondary function within my intended use of the FA, which is ironic since the FA will probably do the better job of it.)

#2874879 - 08/24/17 07:37 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: AnotherScott]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I use patch 1-1 for the "most common organ sound I'm going to use this gig" slot. That helps a lot. But I wish it had motorized faders and stuff. Of course, that would make it expensive......
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2874977 - 08/24/17 01:30 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: WesG]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
AnotherScott...v good points about the FA's ability to route the organ to sub-out, which changes everything if you put through a Vent (in my case it'll be a Lester K).

I just need a good basic organ and as I understand it the FA's raw tone is the same as the VR's. Add in the ability to switch between drawbar variations using the 16 slots in a studio set under the new operating system and - while not perfect - it ameliorates one of the weak spots of the FA series by some way.

#2874980 - 08/24/17 01:34 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Marillo]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Marillo
AnotherScott...v good points about the FA's ability to route the organ to sub-out, which changes everything if you put through a Vent (in my case it'll be a Lester K).

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08. sub out to LesterK.

I run any organ, and a couple other things thru it. A great combination and really enhances the FA organ sounds

#2874981 - 08/24/17 01:36 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: EscapeRocks]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08 sub out to LesterK.

I run any organ, and a couple other things thru it. A great combination and really enhances the FA organ sounds

EscapeRocks...do you miss the lack of C/V at all?

#2881927 - 09/27/17 02:24 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Marillo]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Does anybody understand what this means?...
"Edited synthesizer sounds can now be returned to their factory-default values in single-tone units."

#2881930 - 09/27/17 02:37 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Marillo]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08 sub out to LesterK.

EscapeRocks...do you miss the lack of C/V at all?

No, my organ is very minimal and part of the layered sound of the entire band.

In that context, it sounds just fine.

#2881947 - 09/27/17 03:54 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: xKnuckles]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Does anybody understand what this means?...
"Edited synthesizer sounds can now be returned to their factory-default values in single-tone units."

It sounds like, before, if you wanted to restore the original factory synth sounds (i.e. to how they were before you made any edits), you had to do all or none, and now you can restore a single synth sound (tone) to its factory state without losing all your other edited sounds (tones) that you may want to leave as is.

#2882007 - 09/28/17 02:44 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: AnotherScott]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks Scott! I love how they go for maximum unintelligibility in all of these keyboard instructions & manuals etc. Reading "single tone units" started auto-playing a wholetone scale in my head .....

#2882009 - 09/28/17 02:47 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: xKnuckles]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

BTW: I did the update last night and I agree that rotary 3 sounds great! Very much looking forward to gigging it this weekend...... smile

#2882357 - 09/29/17 09:58 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Sam Mullins]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
can you assign all organs to one output and everything to the other?

Can you assign all pianos an octave down while keeping the organ in default position?

#2882358 - 09/29/17 09:58 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Sam Mullins]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
can you assign all organs to one output and everything to the other?

Can you assign all pianos an octave down while keeping the organ in default position?

#2882360 - 09/29/17 10:09 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: sagetunes]
roygBiv Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
No

Yes (I think) - you mean with a split keyboard? (Piano on lower half, organ on upper?) If so, yes.

#2882361 - 09/29/17 10:09 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: roygBiv]
roygBiv Offline

Loc: Pacific NW
No

Yes (I think) - you mean with a split keyboard? (Piano on lower half, organ on upper?) If so, yes.

#2882876 - 10/02/17 10:50 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: roygBiv]
Lloyds Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Hi, I'm a VR-09 user and I have a little question for anyone...

I know there's an upgrade for firmware (from 1.03 to 1.11) but despite all the sound improvements and the new rotary I don't want to apply it before ensure that the "hidden sounds", (those only accesible using MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages) are still there. I'm aware almost every single user in this forum uses the VR-09 only as a clonewheel and don't care about synth tones, but I use them and I wouldn't like to loose those amount of tones (I have almost 200 new synth tones cataloged... I hope to finish collecting them as soon as possible and then I'll upload them to the forum ^_^)

So, please, anyone who have done the upgrade to 1.11, can you try it and tell me if all those sounds are still accesible?
It's needed to send to the VR-09 a MIDI message with a MSB bank/LSB bank/Program change... here some examples: (Specially interesting that "Lyric Soprano voice" and the "Jazz Flute")

(PC are counted from 1-128. Remember to substract one if you send PC from 000-127)
MSB:009/LSB:000/PC:50 --> Soprano Lyric Sing tone
MSB:000/LSB:000/PC:85 --> Tubular Bells tone
MSB:000/LSB:000/PC:71 --> Mandolin tone
MSB:007/LSB:000/PC:99 --> Jazz Flute tone

I hope someone can solve this question, because I really, really, REAAAAAALLY want to try this "Rotary Type 3" >_<

Thanks a lot friends,
D.

#2883041 - 10/02/17 08:54 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Lloyds]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Lloyds

I know there's an upgrade for firmware (from 1.03 to 1.11) but despite all the sound improvements and the new rotary I don't want to apply it before ensure that the "hidden sounds", (those only accesible using MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages) are still there. I'm aware almost every single user in this forum uses the VR-09 only as a clonewheel and don't care about synth tones, but I use them and I wouldn't like to loose those amount of tones (I have almost 200 new synth tones cataloged... I hope to finish collecting them as soon as possible and then I'll upload them to the forum ^_^)

So, please, anyone who have done the upgrade to 1.11, can you try it and tell me if all those sounds are still accesible?
It's needed to send to the VR-09 a MIDI message with a MSB bank/LSB bank/Program change... here some examples: (Specially interesting that "Lyric Soprano voice" and the "Jazz Flute")

(PC are counted from 1-128. Remember to substract one if you send PC from 000-127)

I hope someone can solve this question, because I really, really, REAAAAAALLY want to try this "Rotary Type 3" >_<

Thanks a lot friends,
D.

I tried to send MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages to my VR09. But no success. Need more instruction how to do it. Which channel must be used, which Midi In mode, etc?

#2883057 - 10/03/17 12:59 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: TomKittel]
Lloyds Offline

First of all, thanks for trying to give me an answer... then, let's go to give a little more background:

In the VR-09 MENU/MIDI can set which channels are assigned to each part... by default UPPER: Ch.4, LOWER: Ch.03, PEDAL: Ch.2, DRUMS: Ch.11, CONTROL: Ch.16. The UPPER channel is the "main one", I mean, the one used when you play a single tone or when you play the upper part in a split, so when you want to send Bank/Program change MIDI message you have to send it to a UPPER channel (remember, by default UPPER: Ch.4).
You can also send it to a LOWER Channel and changes will applied to a lower part of a Split/Layer, but in my tests, there's some cases in which the behavior of the VR-09 was a little strange (nothing really special, only a part that doesn't sounds or a volume "linked" in both parts...) so I think it's better to send those MIDI messages to the UPPER part.

You can send MIDI Messages in some ways...

A) Connecting the VR-09 to a computer via USB port and using some MIDI software. I used MIDI-Ox or Mountain Utilities MIDI Tools, both freeware and with lots of good functions (MIDI-Ox -> View/Control Panel // MIDI Tools -> View/Program Changer).

B) You can use a MIDI external hardware, such a controller keyboard connected to MIDI IN port (I've tested some of them... the last one was a cheap Alesis Q49) or even a MIDI Program Changer (I've tested a vintage Program Changer by Roland, the RC-3... but this hardware was not able to send MSB/LSB changes, only Program Change).

C) There's another less common option (in fact, one of the rarest things I've done...) which consist in use the VR-09 itself as a MIDI controller for itself... This method requires some extense instructions, so I've explain them in some other time wink... but it's possible to do it!!

Well it's all, I think... now it's testing time! grin
Hope to see some answers in a brief!

Thanks a lot, friends!
D.

#2883097 - 10/03/17 07:42 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Lloyds]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Posted on the Shameless Plugs, hope it's ok to post here too. My band (Smokestone, from Brazil) recorded a live studio video that features the VR-09 proeminently (organ, piano and moog bass, all costumized by me). Unfortunately the organ is prior the update, but i liked how it sounded. Hope it helps the undecided people about how this little machine can sound AWESOME.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...at_#Post2883095

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urn3GBoe0JA

#2883122 - 10/03/17 10:42 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: To B3]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: To B3
Posted on the Shameless Plugs, hope it's ok to post here too. My band (Smokestone, from Brazil) recorded a live studio video that features the VR-09 proeminently (organ, piano and moog bass, all costumized by me). Unfortunately the organ is prior the update, but i liked how it sounded. Hope it helps the undecided people about how this little machine can sound AWESOME.

Wow!!! Just watched the YouTube. sound great and your playing is killer!

Is that a custom cabinet you made to sit the VR-09 in?

#2883131 - 10/03/17 11:28 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: EscapeRocks]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, that's the VR-09 party clothes LOL... gives a better stage presence and actually, calls a great ammount of attention including people from the audience... wink

#2883133 - 10/03/17 11:49 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: To B3]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, that's the VR-09 party clothes LOL... gives a better stage presence and actually, calls a great ammount of attention including people from the audience... wink

#2883157 - 10/03/17 01:06 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: Lloyds]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Lloyds

Thanks a lot friends,
D.

Good find, thanks! The "hidden sounds" are all still there under the new OS 1.11! Now you can update your VR09 at ease. Enjoy the new Leslie 3 my friend!

BTW: I had to set Midi In Mode 2 to make the MSB/LSB program change work.

#2883176 - 10/03/17 03:00 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: TomKittel]
Lloyds Offline

Good find, thanks! The "hidden sounds" are all still there under the new OS 1.11! Now you can update your VR09 at ease. Enjoy the new Leslie 3 my friend!

BTW: I had to set Midi In Mode 2 to make the MSB/LSB program change work.

Thanks for taking time to test it... I'll upload some registrations with hidden sounds as soon as I have a little time.

#2883183 - 10/03/17 03:31 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: To B3]
David Emm Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Solder Huffer's Gulch

That's the way to make a VR-09 smoke. Roland should include that in their demos for it. Its that good. like

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2883207 - 10/03/17 06:31 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: David Emm]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

The VR09 features quite a few handsome drum kits. Is it possible to assign these drumkits to the factory drum patterns? Couldn't find anything on that.

#2883211 - 10/03/17 07:11 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: TomKittel]
Radio NWT Offline

That's a good question, haven't seen anything on loading the drum patches....

I've managed to do some pretty reasonable string synthesizer type patches on the VR tonight, will share if anyone's interested, let me know what you think/any improvement ideas.

Edited by Radio NWT (10/03/17 07:12 PM)

#2883251 - 10/04/17 06:52 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: David Emm]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: David Emm

That's the way to make a VR-09 smoke. Roland should include that in their demos for it. Its that good. like

Whoa! Tks man! Roland Brazil actually showed interest to do this, but still nothing... Glad you liked!

#2883330 - 10/04/17 02:38 PM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: TomKittel]
Lloyds Offline

The VR09 features quite a few handsome drum kits. Is it possible to assign these drumkits to the factory drum patterns? Couldn't find anything on that.

As far as I know, each drum pattern use each own drum preset and it can't be changed (please, correct me if I'm wrong)... BUT... you can create a MIDI drum sequence, assign the desired drum kit (including MSB/LSB/PC config in the SMF) and play it through the VR-09.

#2883568 - 10/06/17 04:11 AM Re: Roland V-Combo VR-09 [Re: To B3]
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member

Sounding great! smile

Page 107 of 114 < 1 2 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 113 114 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner