Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles..

I have a mesa nomad 100 head and i'm having a problem with the reverb.I'll plug in the foot switch turn on the reverb works fine

then after a few minutes it stops working.Sometimes it does this without using the foot switch.I don't think its in the switch itself.Could it be in the tank or is there a tube for the reverb.

I play just on the clean channel with no switch.This amp has three reverb knobs on the back.I have the amp set on the back for the first channel,no footswitch.

Thanks

Leonard

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hi Myles,

I am a brand new guitar player and am wondering: should I learn tabs or sheet music first? Do I need to learn both?

Thanks!

You should post this in a guitar playing related forum. This is an amplifier forum.

Personally, I think reading music opens a lot of doors even in this day and age and allows you to compose to other professionals can work with you. Once you can sight read TAB is a piece of cake.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles..

I have a mesa nomad 100 head and i'm having a problem with the reverb.I'll plug in the foot switch turn on the reverb works fine

then after a few minutes it stops working.Sometimes it does this without using the foot switch.I don't think its in the switch itself.Could it be in the tank or is there a tube for the reverb.

I play just on the clean channel with no switch.This amp has three reverb knobs on the back.I have the amp set on the back for the first channel,no footswitch.

Thanks

Leonard

Try cleaning and reseating the cables to and from the reverb tank. Swap out the send and return tubes as a test for known good ones although if things go on and off it is probably not the tubes, maybe a tube socket.

If the foot switch jacks have interrupter connectors they could be out of tension and not properly adjusted. This is common on many input jacks.

Pull the chassis and clean and lube those associated pots with R5 or a good contact lube/cleaner. Never just clean and never use WD40.

If none of those things work it is time for a trip to the amp tech.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 3 weeks later...
I am sure you have covered this before but could not find anything with a search. What books or other resources are good if I want to learn how to rebuild and maintain my amps. I woluld at least like to be able to rebias and replace parts. I have some understanding of basic concepts. I known basic electronics is the place to start but amp specific resources are what I am looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Myles, I am new to this site and have a question regarding an Egnater Renegade retube.

I play all single coil guitars and am looking for new tubes as the Sovteks that come with this amp do not have the compression, tone and general feeling that I had years ago.

I play mainly classic / hard rock from the 70's, 80's and 90's so I require a very versatile sound and do not really want to use pedals to get these sounds as they can add to extra unwanted noise.

Do you have any tube suggestions?

Tubes are really a matter of personal taste and preference. Loose the Sovteks if they are WA, WB, WC as anything will be better in my experience.

Look on my GAB website as there is a lot of tube info and test results that may give you a few ideas.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 4 weeks later...

Myles, my amp is a G100T 60/100 watt. Manual calls for four power 6l6GCs, one 12AT7 in PI, and three 12AX7s in preamp. Manufactured in 1982.

I'm recapping now and re-tubing power with JJ 6L6GCs....

Given that all circuits/components are tested and function at correct tolerances (replaced as necessary):

Question, what would happen if I placed one JJ ECC803/12AX7 (matched and balanced triode) in the PI and three JJECC81s/12AT7s (matched and balanced triodes) in the preamp?

Would I get cleaner sound...earlier breakup, later breakup, blow the amp to smithereens...?

1madman2

Myles, my amp is a G100T 60/100 watt. Manual calls for four power 6l6GCs, one 12AT7 in PI, and three 12AX7s in preamp. Manufactured in 1982.

I'm recapping now and re-tubing power with JJ 6L6GCs....

Given that all circuits/components are tested and function at correct tolerances (replaced as necessary):

Question, what would happen if I placed one JJ ECC803/12AX7 (matched and balanced triode) in the PI and three JJECC81s/12AT7s (matched and balanced triodes) in the preamp?

Would I get cleaner sound...earlier breakup, later breakup, blow the amp to smithereens...?

1madman2

12AT7 tubes are horrid tone generators. They are good phase inverters and reverb drivers.

A 12AX7 in the PI when it expected a 12AT7 will make the amp more aggressive at lower settings and decrease clean headroom.

If you want more clean headroom put a 5751 (a real one, NOS not current production as those are just way out of spec 12AX7s) or 12AY7 in the first gain stage (probably V1) and a 12AT7 in the PI. Bias at 60% in the output section on proper spec tubes.

No damage or adjustment is necessary with any of the preamp tubes you or I mentioned in this post. There is no right or wrong. Feel free to try what you mentioned as you might like it. In the end it is really personal taste and preference.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello Myles,

I am the proud new owner of a 65 Amps Empire head which I purchased in large part based on your reviews of this great amp maker. It is a fantastic amp and I am very happy with my purchase. While I am still becoming acquainted with it I can't help but notice that it seems like it could use a little nudge for it to be even better. Since you are so familiar with 65 amps I was hoping that you might be able to make some suggestions in the way of NOS tubes that might open it up a bit more. Thanks in advance, your advise and knowledge a God send.

Hello Myles,

I am the proud new owner of a 65 Amps Empire head which I purchased in large part based on your reviews of this great amp maker. It is a fantastic amp and I am very happy with my purchase. While I am still becoming acquainted with it I can't help but notice that it seems like it could use a little nudge for it to be even better. Since you are so familiar with 65 amps I was hoping that you might be able to make some suggestions in the way of NOS tubes that might open it up a bit more. Thanks in advance, your advise and knowledge a God send.

Tube selection is very subjective. I don't know anything about your guitars, playing style etc. So ....

I will make some assumptions .... hopefully some of them correct....

Since you were attracted to the Empire I will assume that you like the tone of the great Marshall amps. I love Marshall amps myself but once the master volume was a part of the design my like for them declined. My favorite models are the four input / non-master models and this is one of the amps the Empire can replicate really nicely.

The output tubes in these amps are JJ 6V6 tubes. I normally am not a fan of JJ 6V6 tubes in 6V6 amps as they sound and react more like a 6L6 than a sweet 6V6. They are too aggressive and more edgy than a older era 6V6. But ..... in the Empire they may be the best choice. Dan Boul had no intention of making a Fender BF Deluxe when he created the Empire. He wanted to cover the tones of the great Marshall era. A sweet 6V6 would not have filled the bill in the same way as the JJ. Bottom line after all my rambling .... you can leave your output tubes alone :)

Preamp tubes ....

If it were my amp I would use a medium plate or long plate in V1 as did the Marshall amps of the era. The JJ803S and/or Sovtek LPS are medium plate tubes and work fine but if you grab an NOS Mullard, GE, RCA or Sylvania from the 60s or 70s you will hear things that were not there before. More articulate, more defined, more responsive.

Let me know what is in the phase inverter as it could be an LPS or 803S and I can give you an idea or two. Let me know your most commonly used guitars and I can give you a few phase inverter ideas as well.

The Empire is a pretty cool piece of work. Happy playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello Myles,

Tube selection is very subjective. I don't know anything about your guitars, playing style etc. So ....

Since you were attracted to the Empire I will assume that you like the tone of the great Marshall amps. I love Marshall amps myself but once the master volume was a part of the design my like for them declined. My favorite models are the four input / non-master models and this is one of the amps the Empire can replicate really nicely.

The output tubes in these amps are JJ 6V6 tubes. I normally am not a fan of JJ 6V6 tubes in 6V6 amps as they sound and react more like a 6L6 than a sweet 6V6. They are too aggressive and more edgy than a older era 6V6. But ..... in the Empire they may be the best choice. Dan Boul had no intention of making a Fender BF Deluxe when he created the Empire. He wanted to cover the tones of the great Marshall era. A sweet 6V6 would not have filled the bill in the same way as the JJ. Bottom line after all my rambling .... you can leave your output tubes alone :)

Preamp tubes ....

If it were my amp I would use a medium plate or long plate in V1 as did the Marshall amps of the era. The JJ803S and/or Sovtek LPS are medium plate tubes and work fine but if you grab an NOS Mullard, GE, RCA or Sylvania from the 60s or 70s you will hear things that were not there before. More articulate, more defined, more responsive.

Let me know what is in the phase inverter as it could be an LPS or 803S and I can give you an idea or two. Let me know your most commonly used guitars and I can give you a few phase inverter ideas as well.

Thanks for the info and quick reply!!! I mostly play Les Paul and ES 335 style guitars with Humbuckers and I play mostly blues/Classic Rock primarily rhythm guitar. I am not familiar with the tube layout and function for the Empire and can't find the info anywhere. I assume that V1 is the one closest to the face/seperate and that V5 would be the phase inverter. That said V5 has a JJ 803s in it and V1 has a JJ 803s. The others are Sovtek and EH 12ax7's.

Here is some of what I have already if any of them would work. I have one very expensive Pristine Cryo treated NOS 1962 Raython Blackplate 12ax7 that I got from tubeworld perfectly matched at 2.2ma with MU=110+ that I have been saving for use as a PI. I also have a NOS JAN Phillips 5751 and several of the new Canadian (imported from china) Northern Electric 12ax7's from the Tube Store and some Genalex 12ax7 Gold Lion Reissues.

Hopefully that helps give a clearer picture. Once again Thank you so very much, you are a living treasure. If there is anything I can do to pay it forward let me know.

Hello Myles,

Preamp tubes ....

Thanks for the info and quick reply!!! I mostly play Les Paul and ES 335 style guitars with Humbuckers and I play mostly blues/Classic Rock primarily rhythm guitar. I am not familiar with the tube layout and function for the Empire and can't find the info anywhere. I assume that V1 is the one closest to the face/seperate and that V5 would be the phase inverter. That said V5 has a JJ 803s in it and V1 has a JJ 803s. The others are Sovtek and EH 12ax7's.

Here is some of what I have already if any of them would work. I have one very expensive Pristine Cryo treated NOS 1962 Raython Blackplate 12ax7 that I got from tubeworld perfectly matched at 2.2ma with MU=110+ that I have been saving for use as a PI. I also have a NOS JAN Phillips 5751 and several of the new Canadian (imported from china) Northern Electric 12ax7's from the Tube Store and some Genalex 12ax7 Gold Lion Reissues.

Hopefully that helps give a clearer picture. Once again Thank you so very much, you are a living treasure. If there is anything I can do to pay it forward let me know.

Ok .... lets see ....

First off, V1 is the first gain and tone stage. It is the tube that is furthest from the output tubes and most close to the input jack. V5 is the phase inverter and most close to the output tubes.

V1 is the critical fellow in this amp and sets the foundation for the other tubes which raise the gain structure. If you want that classic plexi tone then V1 is very important. The signal from this tube is sent down the line. It is not a matter of V1 used for this setting and V2 for another etc. V1 is the base of tone for all settings.

The Sovtek is a 12AX7LP and if you have any medium or long plate 12AX7 NOS tube, it does not have to be expensive, you will see an improvement. The JJ 803S is a pretty decent tube but edgy and grainy. Some like that characteristic. I do not. I like a smoother tone. I am not right or wrong. It is just my personal taste and preference.

The short plate EH is a good tube but if you drive the front end hard with higher level settings from a pedal they will compress and squash faster. I am not a bit fan of short plate tubes but again, this is personal taste. If it were my Empire I would replace those as well.

Cryo tubes. Personal point of view? I will try to subdue my feelings. I hate them. Talk about smoke and mirrors these are the poster child. I have tested these a LOT for over a decade. They fail more quickly due to the mica support being brittle and the plate structure also is brittle. The internals no longer expand and contract at the same rate as the original design so they also can go physically microphonic more rapidly than the same tube no cryo treated. Some folks love them. I do not. If you have one that makes you like the tone it is because it is a spec tube not because of the treatment. If you have any of these in an amp that you gig with ... have spare tubes that you know work on hand.

Cryo tubes ... I hate them.

Oh yes, before I forget.... I am not a fan of cryo treated tubes. Save that nitrogen for those new ice cream make it yourself franchises that were all the rage for about three weeks.

Can you return that 1962 Raytheon 12AX7 for a non cryo version? That is my favorite 12AX7 as a side note. I'd use a Generation 7,8,9 Chinese 12AX7 rather than that cryo Raytheon.

5751 ... hang onto that for a Fender. No use for it in the Empire.

2.2/2.2mA on a 12AX7 is not design spec at RCA test spec voltages. Contact them and ask them what the plate voltage and bias were set to when they came up with this number. The spec is 1.2mA. That MU number is also suspect. In that case I'd want the plate voltage, bias voltage and plate resistance readings. You can get any number you want by changing the voltages. I can make the worst tubes look great on a tester.

The folks I use and that I use for my clients are ....

www.kcanostubes.com (Mike)

www.dougstubes.com (Doug)

There are other great vendors out there and some really awful ones. The two guys above have never let me or my clients down in over a decade.

As far as paying it forward .... If you want to feed 5 folks for $10 who are homeless here in L.A. or do more, just go to www.urm.org and look a bit at the page. There are many ways to help. If you can't donate something just share their link, that is super cool too. Anything you donate is fully tax deductible as a side note. If you are on facebook look for Andy Bales. He is the CEO of URM and can answer lots of questions as well.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello, Mr. Rose! Thanks for lending us your knowledge!

I'm in the market for a new amp, and I'm really looking seriously at the Marshal DSL40C. I was wondering if you know anything about it? Or know of any problems that it has in design/reliability?

Also, it has two channels, Classic and Ultra, and each channel has two modes that are controlled by a switch on the amp.

The footswitch for it can switch between the channels, but it can't switch between the modes of the channels.

I think that being able to switch between modes with the footswitch would make this close to the perfect amp. And I wonder how hard it would be to do a mod on this and put a switch on the footswitch to switch between modes?

I'd appreciate your expertise on this. :) thank you!

Hello, Mr. Rose! Thanks for lending us your knowledge!

I'm in the market for a new amp, and I'm really looking seriously at the Marshal DSL40C. I was wondering if you know anything about it? Or know of any problems that it has in design/reliability?

Also, it has two channels, Classic and Ultra, and each channel has two modes that are controlled by a switch on the amp.

The footswitch for it can switch between the channels, but it can't switch between the modes of the channels.

I think that being able to switch between modes with the footswitch would make this close to the perfect amp. And I wonder how hard it would be to do a mod on this and put a switch on the footswitch to switch between modes?

I'd appreciate your expertise on this. :) thank you!

Amp selection is really personal taste and economics.

These amps are very complex and modding it is contraindicated for many reasons. Cost and reliability are just two reasons not to do that. If the amp does not do what you want the way it comes then look for something that does.

As a side note, and this is based on my own personal experience, and others may not have found the same results.... The DSL series are some of the most complex and most difficult amps to work on out there. The DSL and TSL amps have also been the least reliable amps I have supported on tour with more than a few groups.

My very biased opinion? If you want something reliable on the road look to a non-master volume Marshall or clone for the classic tones and use a pedal (which you can change at will and adjust) for "Ultra" (whatever that means).

But .... in the end it is personal opinion and preference.

Perfect amp based on what you seem to be attracted to based on what you have said ..... ???? Have you looked at amps from Rivera? Great clean headroom on tap and all the classic gain tones in an ultra reliable package in the same price range. That is my personal preference.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Okay. Well, not being able to change modes via footswitch is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

I don't gig with my electric at all at present, so reliability isn't all that big of a deal for me. Though it is still important.

And "Ultra" is just what they named the dirty channel.

What exactly do you mean by, "non-master volume Marshall"? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks again!

Okay. Well, not being able to change modes via footswitch is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

I don't gig with my electric at all at present, so reliability isn't all that big of a deal for me. Though it is still important.

And "Ultra" is just what they named the dirty channel.

What exactly do you mean by, "non-master volume Marshall"? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks again!

Models like the JTM45, 50 watt and 100 watt plexi models. No master volume. Four input jacks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question...

Can you tell me where I can buy tiny plastic tubing or sleeving that is used to insulate exposed component leads? All I can find is heat shrink or big stuff.

Thanks Miles :D

Never mind, I finally found some...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PTFE-18/18-GAUGE-TEFLON-TUBING-NATURAL/1.html

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Myles,

I use combo Egnater Rebel 30.

I tried to record guitar via rec mode output (used mic balanced cable) to PC (Juli@) and unfortunately the sound was very bad (dirty and silent) on both channels. I used Sonar. But when I recorded the guitar via Presonus Blue Tube the sound was better. Could you advise how to rec the guitar from Egnater using silent rec mode and Juli@ sound card? On Juli@ I use balance line input

Thanks in advance!

WBR,

Alexander

Hi Myles,

I use combo Egnater Rebel 30.

I tried to record guitar via rec mode output (used mic balanced cable) to PC (Juli@) and unfortunately the sound was very bad (dirty and silent) on both channels. I used Sonar. But when I recorded the guitar via Presonus Blue Tube the sound was better. Could you advise how to rec the guitar from Egnater using silent rec mode and Juli@ sound card? On Juli@ I use balance line input

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea what Juli@ is.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey, Alex101- you should copy-and-paste your questions onto a New Post on the Guitar Player Forum itself; I'm sure that SOMEONE on the forum will have a reply for you. There are many Forum members with quite a variety of experiences out there.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, Alex101- you should copy-and-paste your questions onto a New Post on the Guitar Player Forum itself; I'm sure that SOMEONE on the forum will have a reply for you. There are many Forum members with quite a variety of experiences out there.

Agreed.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I have no idea what Juli@ is.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/Julia/

PCI sound card for PC

The hardware is not the issue. The config is the issue and I have no clue as to your levels, settings, etc.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

What are your thoughts about The Tube Store's Preferred Series 12AX7s? I know this is personal preference, but I'm curious since they recommend them as part of their Rivera Quiana premium package for all postions (at $23.oo a piece).

Dave

Myles,

What are your thoughts about The Tube Store's Preferred Series 12AX7s? I know this is personal preference, but I'm curious since they recommend them as part of their Rivera Quiana premium package for all postions (at $23.oo a piece).

Dave

I never put the same tube type in all positions.

If you have a link to this set they offer feel free to post it and I will be happy to give you my take on things. As a side note, one the the top amp builders I know (he does tweed inspired amps) plays a Rivera 50 watt 2x12 combo that has been blueprinted. It has KT66 output tubes. There are at least three different preamp tube types of 12AX7s in his amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr