Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2460493 - 01/05/13 09:26 AM Studiologic Acuna 88 Review
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
A few weeks ago, I was able to get a great deal on the Acuna 88 from The MIDI Store. I am reworking my home studio, and no longer need two 88-key controllers (one for gigs and one to leave at home), so I decided to order the Acuna and compare it to my Studiologic Numa Nero and Numa Nano.

In short, the action on the Acuna is excellent, and its fit and finish is far beyond the Numas, due to its all-metal casing.

While the Acuna lacks the wooden action of the Nero, its key travel and weight feel much more similar to my vintage Baldwin R5 grand than the Nero, and I no longer need to be concerned with the effects of temp and humidity changes on the wood action of the Nero. Also, the Nero never felt right for Rhodes and Wurly, but the Acuna feels great for both. I don't thimk the Acuna would work for Clavinet, but I'm not aware of a fully weighted action that would.

While on paper the Acuna and Nano share the same action, they feel very different, with the Acuna feeling much more refined and solid, with less mush when it bottoms out.

Lastly, the Acuna offers a few physical controllers which both the Numas lack. These will come in handy in controlling a small number of parameters in Cantabile sessions.

I cannot comment on the iPad integration, as I am not an Apple person.

I just bought the Baldwin R5 a few months ago, and it really has opened my eyes as to how a weighted action should feel. It made me realize that the deep key travel and early trigger point of the Nero are not as realistic as I once thought.

If you are looking for a great 88-key controller with an action that works for acoustic and electric piano sounds, you should really consider the Acuna 88.

KC Island
#2544968 - 11/19/13 11:31 AM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: davinwv]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I am researching the Acuna and considering one.
Ressurecting this review to ask if you are still happy with it. It is my understtanding that this uses the same Fatar keybed as the Nord Electro HP. I find that action to be mushy and repeated notes and even adjacent note trills are more difficult than they should be. Do you find any of this with the Acuna? And are you familiar with either the Nord stage or HP weighted action to compare?

#2544998 - 11/19/13 12:43 PM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: Beethree]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

I haven't played a Nord keyboard since the original Electro was released, so I cannot compare the action of the Acuna 88 to that of the Electro HP.

The action still feels great, but it has gotten a bit more noisy over the past year in the "more traveled" registers of the keyboard.

I am actually considering getting it replaced with a new unit while I still can under the one-year warranty.

However, it is a great controller (especially for its weight and dimensions), and it works equally well as my only board on a jazz quartet gig and perched above my Hamichord M-C3 on my K&M Omega stand for rock/country/soul gigs.

#2545007 - 11/19/13 12:52 PM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: davinwv]
D-Bon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Should be the same action as the Kurzweil SP4-8 too.

#2545009 - 11/19/13 12:56 PM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: D-Bon]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for the response!
Much as you note that "on paper" the Numa and Acuna are the same, but feel different, I am hoping the Acuna is a step up from the Nord Electro 4HP.
I guess I will have to try one and see!!!!

#2545021 - 11/19/13 01:29 PM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: Beethree]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

The Numa Nano and the Acuna 88 keybeds feel very different. I'm not sure why, but the Acuna felt much more solid at the bottom of the key travel than the Numa Nano when I had them side-by-side.

#2545136 - 11/19/13 11:37 PM Re: Studiologic Acuna 88 Review [Re: davinwv]
Tobbe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Írebro, Sweden
I tried downloading the Acuna!Panel iPad app. No problem finding it in the App Store, but when I was about to download it, it said "the app is no longer available". My guess is that it hasn't been updated to be compatible with OS7. Version 1.0 was uploaded in November 2011 and since then there's been no updates... A bit disappointing when the keyboard is marketed as having an iPad companion app, IMHO.
Now, I wasn't about to buy an Acuna, I was just was curious about the iPad integration.

At home: Ham Concorde, Kurz PC88, Korg TR76, EHX V256 vocoder, Yam EX5R and much more...

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner