Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2460060 - 01/03/13 11:21 AM Bass player playing guitar and has some questions
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southwestern Michigan USA
Hey all,

I normally hang out on the Lowdown, play bass as primary instrument but for church I have been tasked with switching to guitar. We have a part-time acoustic player but the type of music we play is better suited for electric. So, I volunteered to take on the challenge

It hasn't been totally foreign, but a different challenge. It's 80% rhythm stuff with some fills thrown in. I'm learning more 'lead' stuff but I'm not setting out to be the next Slash/Gilmour/Clapton/Hendrix wannabe.

I'm using an old Heritage, run through my bass pedal BP200 I set up a couple presets that work good for guitar, and a Behringer 12" bass amp.

So I'm looking at guitar gear. I've been looking pretty hard at the Xaviere guitar fetish line. I have 2 buddies with these guitars (Tele copies) along with high end strats, PRS, Gibsons, etc. and they like the Xaviere guitars other than the necks are kind of hard to wrap their thumb around. They are a pretty big fan of the GFS pickups as well.

I used one of the Tele copies a few times, and it's not too bad except I'm not a tele guy. He's more into chickin' pickin', so the Teles work great for him.

I'm looking at the Xaviere strat XV870 strat copy or the XV599 LP copy. Anyone have experience with those?

For an amp, I'm looking at the Fender Frontman 25R 1/10 amp. Seems to get pretty good reviews, people recommend to change the speaker and they come to life. What's the verdict on those?

I was also looking at some of the GFS pedals. They have a tube screamer wannabe and a blues overdrive pedal, anyone use their pedals? My plan is to use a basic amp and use pedals for the effects I use- which won't be many. It's more for contemporary church music, so there ill be some of 'The Edge' style delay, some overdrive and reverb but might get something loud & dirty for when I need it.

I've looked at floor pods too- which ones seem to work good? I'm not a big fan of multi-effects, but I know some of the Boss and Line 6 units seem to be pretty good.

I'm looking at some used stuff too- most of my bass rig is used gear and it's great. But trying to look at all avenues right now. For example, if I can pick up a Xaviere strat copy for ~$200 and it's comparable to a MIM stock strat for ~$300 used, I'll get the Xaviere and use the extra $100 on something else.

Disclaimer- yes it's lower end cheap gear. I'm on a budget and realize they will not sound like a top end LP through a nice tube amp. I'm going to play it 3-5 songs a week at church, so it needs to sound presentable, but not 'on tour' good.

Thanks in advance for your advice, I appreciate it.

Mike

GP Island
#2460107 - 01/03/13 02:19 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Despite a smattering of positive reviews I've read, I remain leery of most Chinese manufactured items, for environmental and ethical reasons, among others. And i've hear too many stories of bad Chinese guitars to feel comfy buying them. In your situation, I'd try to stick to brands I know & trust, new or used.

For example, GC has a bunch of good used Godin guitars in the $200-500 range.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electric-Guitar-Guitar,Used-Gear.gc?extup=300-500,200-300&src=Godin&ipp=50&o=1

In particular, consider these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-DBL-CUT-HSS-NAT-063012-107874275-i2601578.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-SDXT-MOCHA--QUILT-108500243-i2916575.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-MODEL-SD-BLK-NC-108505115-i2881097.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Use...104-i2894358.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Use...573-i1926685.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Use...375-i1930693.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-VELOCITY-NAT--440--080312-108013767-i2662980.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-VELOCITY-108546684-i2914561.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-FREEWAY-SA-222-122312-108468444-i2905980.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-FREEWAY-CLASSIC-NC-108505114-i2881236.gc

There are also inexpensive guitars that are well made, like this Richmond Belmont:

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/guitars/electric-guitars/godin-richmond-belmont/prod_6657.html

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/03/13 02:19 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2460110 - 01/03/13 02:58 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

If you have experience and can tell a quality used guitar then look for the best price you can find on a used MIM or MIK strat. People sell them here for about $200... $150 if they need to get rid of them and there's several listed on Craigslist. You can swap out parts if something seems below par to you on them, but the necks and bodies are solid and above what I've seen from Xaviere. I like GFS pickups and own one of the pedals - the Twin Clean Drive - which I like alot.

Those Fender Frontmen practice amps are $100 new, so used they'd be $50 or $40 (and since the market is beginners there's probably a few people are trying to get rid of because they gave up). Or you could buy a Fender Mustang II or something that's a step up for about $100 used.

I just rarely buy new gear... there's an abundance of barely used gear that someone else has essentially lost at least 20% on by buying it new. I buy that stuff.

#2460114 - 01/03/13 03:01 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I have an old Heritage guitar, too, which I just redid and is KILLER.

What model do you have, and what's wrong with it? It's a Gibson by another name (in smaller quantities with better quality control)... it should be MUCH better than a cheap Strat.

#2460115 - 01/03/13 03:01 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Godins and Richmonds are good.

#2460242 - 01/04/13 06:42 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: p90jr
I have an old Heritage guitar, too, which I just redid and is KILLER.

What model do you have, and what's wrong with it? It's a Gibson by another name (in smaller quantities with better quality control)... it should be MUCH better than a cheap Strat.

Seriously, if you have a working Heritage guitar, you don't need a cheap anything, unless you're looking for a Strat/Tele sound.

GFS guitars are just okay, and most of us in this Forum are wary about buying guitars we haven't gotten to play. You're likely to get a better value, and a better instrument, by shopping locally for a used guitar, even if that means your closest Guitar Center.

Finally, look at some of the less expensive guitar multi-fx units, instead of individual pedals. I have three different Boss multis, a GT-3, a GT-10 and an ME-25. The ME-25's show up used for around $100, and they have a decent Tube Screamer model, among other effects.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2460267 - 01/04/13 08:36 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback smile

I'm on the same page as far as used stuff. It's a great way to go- only issue is in my area, even a decent MIM strat is $300 used from GC. Craigalist has them but people are trying to get $400 for it because they don't understand depreciation. I'm still keeping an eye out though.

As far as the heritage, it's one from my church. The leaders used to be a regional touring praise band and he bartered and bought gear from different churches that were closing and stuff- I think it came in one of those deals.

But, no one has taken care of it. As far as what model, I tried to find it but couldn't. It is a LP style with 2 volume, one tone and the switch where the other tone knob would be.

It still plays ok, but the electronics need some work. The pots all need cleaned/replaced, the switch needs cleaned, the usual stuff. Being it isn't mine, I don't want to dive too far into it just yet.

Amps are a little easier to come by. I'm not going to get too worked up over a tube amp just yet and don't want to get something too shiny just yet because I plan to leave it there. The church has a couple ok old amps but they need work (missing knobs, jacks messed up, etc.) so I want something with a decent clean channel to use as a monitor. Right now my plan is to do the effects through pedals and DI to the board. I know it's not as good as a mic, but out stage is cluttered enough. I've run enough sound boards to know how to get a decent sound through DI.

It's good to hear you like the GFS pedals- I'm pretty big on the Danelectro pedals too, but the GFS look a little more durable and tweakable.

Thanks again

Mike

#2460300 - 01/04/13 10:42 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
The Mustang Floor is less than $300 and will give you a variety of pedals and a great DI to the the board with Left and Right xlrs outs and Left/Right 1/4" outs...Mine sounds great with acoustic or electric guitars going direct to the PA. Saves packing another amp...

#2460313 - 01/04/13 11:27 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Ask if you can buy that Heritage from the church... they might just give it to you.

It's the double cutaway model, or single?

I just put a pair of Seymour Duncan humbuckers in mine, and for $40 I put in some Seymour Duncan triple shot mounting rings, which have coil tapping switches in them, so I can get decent strat and tele-like sounds, plus put the humbuckers in parallel wiring, which is another variation in sound. Really useful to me, awesome product.

#2460327 - 01/04/13 12:43 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
MP Hall of Fame Member

The MFX pedals as per Winston's suggestion are a good idea.

As for this:
Quote:
I'm on the same page as far as used stuff. It's a great way to go- only issue is in my area, even a decent MIM strat is $300 used from GC.

GC will ship stuff from store to store, so if you see it online, you can order it, check it out in-store, and you'll STILL have the normal 30 day return period. Helped me out when shopping for a used Tacoma last year.

#2460351 - 01/04/13 02:49 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

I thought about asking to buy the heritage. It's a single cutaway solid body. It looks like the H137 but a single cutaway. I live 10 mins from the factory.- I could just take it in and ask... grin

Good point about shipping stuff in from another GC. I see good deals on used stuff in other areas.

I thought about the MFX floor units, and I'm not against them, they just have 300 effects I'll never use. I have the BP200 MFX for my bass, and outside a tuner and compressor, I don't use it for much except the occasional chorus. Guitar will be different, but I know quite a few guitar players that start out with nice MFX units that wind up selling it and getting an OD pedal, maybe a tube screamer, delay, maybe chorus, and a wah.

I have heard some great things about the Mustang unit, especially for straight-to-board stuff. Lots of people like the Line 6 as well. I'm just not up for dropping $300 right now. The only reason I want an amp is for a monitor- we have a lot of youth kids running sound and they aren't the best at monitor mixes yet.

I think I'll take advantage of the GC ship to store.

Good stuff guys, I appreciate the advice.

#2460367 - 01/04/13 03:29 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic and Blues are two channel preamp pedals with a speaker simulated signal that comes out of them.

Then there's the Tech 21 (Sans Amp) Character pedals, which are preamp pedals that emulate certain amps and put out a speaker simulated signal. I think I saw somewhere that they were making those with two channels now, too... but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've picked up an SD Twin Tube Classic and the Tech 21 Liverpool (Vox) and Tweed (Fender) pedals for around $100 each. Just put delays or chorus or whatever pedals in front of them and they work like a charm straight into PAs.

#2460389 - 01/04/13 04:35 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I thought about the MFX floor units, and I'm not against them, they just have 300 effects I'll never use.

Don't think of it as the 300 effects you'll never use, think of it as all of those pedals, batteries and cables you WOULD use that won't have to keep track of.

#2460620 - 01/06/13 07:20 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Quote:
I thought about the MFX floor units, and I'm not against them, they just have 300 effects I'll never use.

Don't think of it as the 300 effects you'll never use, think of it as all of those pedals, batteries and cables you WOULD use that won't have to keep track of.

Strong argument there. Think of it this way, too. Even if you just use a pretty straight-forward effects rig, Wah, OD, Phaser/Chorus, Delay, Reverb, one of each of those pedals will have you up to the cost of a MFX in no time. All the peripherals add up, too, power supplies, cables, pedalboard. Weight is a factor few people consider - a decent, fully-loaded MFX weighs in at around 8 to 10 pounds, around the weight of a light LP. And all those other effects? You never know when you're going to need one really unique sound, for some cover tune, and it might just be that odd Filter effect you never dug into before.

While I don't have a Mustang, I hear good things about them, and it's rapidly becoming the unofficial MFX of this Forum, which is a pretty high recommendation, in itself.

#2460630 - 01/06/13 07:55 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Well, that's ONE way to know you're aging...

When guys on this forum refer to them as "old" Heritage guitars, and you easily recall the days BEFORE Heritage started up in Gibson's "old" Kalamazoo plant!
Whitefang

#2460652 - 01/06/13 10:32 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And, you remember when pitch pipes were found in every guitar case... crazy

#2460657 - 01/06/13 11:02 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
@Mike:
I play mostly keys, but some bass and a little guitar. Spent a few weeks looking on EBay, found a very good Epiphone LP Studio at a very reasonable starting price, was first and only bidder, old enough to have been Japan made, it also matches my Epi 5-string bass. I use a Vox Tonelab ST pedal - lots of effects I don't use, but the ones that I do use sound good, and it has a switch for output - it sounds good for guitar feeding my QSC K10's (keys), or my Trace Elliot bass amp & cabs, or my modified Fender Blues Jr.

My thoughts: Start with the guitar (either make arrangements to buy the one from church, or get something of your own), next step add a good multi-effects pedal, THEN consider a guitar amp. You may find that you don't actually NEED the amp - your present bass amp might suffice well. Mine does (except it is a lot bigger and weighs a lot more than the Fender).
web: http://www.promlancomp.com Jim

#2460678 - 01/06/13 12:56 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Michele C. Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Milano
Mike, I think in your shoes plan A would be to get the Heritage and take it to prime condition with the help of a competent craftsman. Living that close to the factory might be the answer. I guess whatever came out of that shop runs circles around any cheap piece of equipment you might consider today. Then there is also the mojo factor.
As stated before, your Behringer might not be up to the job by itself, because midrange is different in bass amps and guitar amps, bass amps being often less colored. This is easily cured with a multi effect that can shape your sound so that it comes usable out of the Behringer.
Then when you will be able to afford a class upgrade try every amp you can with your own guitar until you find a combination that means something for you and you might find that most of your boxes will want to disappear from the signal path.

#2460689 - 01/06/13 02:05 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
And, you remember when pitch pipes were found in every guitar case... crazy

I hear tell he remembers a time when pitch pipes were an instrument unto themselves, long before the dawn of the "gee-tarr"...

wink

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/06/13 02:06 PM)

#2460973 - 01/07/13 01:16 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: whitefang]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Well, that's ONE way to know you're aging...

When guys on this forum refer to them as "old" Heritage guitars, and you easily recall the days BEFORE Heritage started up in Gibson's "old" Kalamazoo plant!
Whitefang

lol well, not trying to call anyone old.

For the record, the Heritage guitar was a donation so it's not really for sale. So, redoing it would be cool, but it's not mine so don't want to mess with it that much. It still works ok for what I'm using it for.

I've seen a couple Epiphone studios used for sale too- they got my attention.

The only thing I'm running into is I have 'gorilla hands' (size 15 wedding ring), so I have my own set of challenges. It's great for bass, but guitar, might not be so great. I already use 2 fingers for an A chord. I like the wider Gibson-style neck, but the shorter scale is causing me a little issue when I'm trying to play certain things higher up the neck because the frets are so close. OTOH, the strat neck is a little narrower, so it's a challenge with 1st position chords and barre chords, but I like more space higher on the neck. I'm getting better control to manage the chording issue. A standard Tele neck, hang it up- feels like a broom stick. I can do it (even use 1 finger for an Em chord), but man it's tight.

So what would you all suggest for something that has a wider neck but longer scale?

Also, what about a Peavey Raptor or something? From what I have found, they seem to be a Moped guitar- great to play as long as your friends don't see you... I see a lot of the Raptor strat style guitars for $150 and what I can find about them is they were respectable.

As far as the Behringer, I think it will work a lot better if I swap out the cheesy aluminum cone speaker for a decent aftermarket replacement. I've used the head by itself (has external speaker jack) and it sound so much better.

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate you taking your time to help.

#2461096 - 01/07/13 10:27 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

A guy I work with has the same "big hands" problem. He plays bass mostly, but he bought a 7 string Danelectro with the idea of making his own nut and bridgeplate and converting it to a 6 string with extra spacing. Don't know if he ever did it or not. I'll ask him.

#2463131 - 01/16/13 10:45 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: p90jr]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Update-

Haven't bought a guitar yet, but pulled the trigger on a used Peavey Studio 40.

It's an older (like 80's vintage) model thru the GC website.

I wasn't really going to buy one yet, but the price was ok and was what I want in an amp- it's small, 40w 1x12, and it's versatile. It's set up for recording with a line out that's supposed to emulate the speaker, and that's what I wanted.

I checked into them, and from everything I read, the consensus was they were a good little amp. Several guys said 'had one, got rid of it, wish I kept it'.

I've used some of the older Peavey stuff before (bass amps and PA stuff) and they've been a tank.

Should be here in a week... rawk

#2463216 - 01/16/13 07:05 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hope it works out good for you...Peavey isn't my favorite guitar amp but I will say they can take a lick'en and keep on tick'en. Real road warriors! thu

#2463315 - 01/17/13 08:31 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Peavey was THE garage amp of the 80's, even if they never got much respect. Back then, a lot of players' first step up from a Gorilla amp (remember those?) was a Peavey. The tube-driven Classic series will stand up to just about any other tube amp in their field, and deliver good tone.

#2463494 - 01/18/13 07:42 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Winston Psmith]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Peavey was THE garage amp of the 80's, even if they never got much respect. Back then, a lot of players' first step up from a Gorilla amp (remember those?) was a Peavey. The tube-driven Classic series will stand up to just about any other tube amp in their field, and deliver good tone.

+1. I owned a Classic 30 for a few years and really liked it. I thought it "ran with the big dogs" at a very reasonable price.

#2472332 - 02/18/13 08:40 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Fred_C]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Update-

Got the amp in, been using it- it's a little different than I thought. It is a studio 20w- like from 1980.

It does exactly what I want it to do- the DI out works very nice, the cleans are good, the 'saturation' works good.

It does need some work- the speaker basket is loose to the magnet- if I crank it, it rattles. The reverb needs some work too. It doesn't "doing"

I really can't seem to find any info on it. It seems like it was a short run model that was replaced by the studio 40. It'll be a nice little project I can dig in to. I'm getting ready to yank the speaker out and see why it is loose. I'll 'Jim-Bob' it with some epoxy if I have to- or throw in a cheap Weber replacement speaker. I'll dig into the reverb too- see if I can fix it.

Overall, it's a great little small amp. Yeah it has issues, but I'd rather fix it than get one of those 'combo-pack' amps or little modeling amp with an 8 inch speaker.

Do any of you guys know anything about the studio pro 20w version? I can't find hardly anything but the owner's manual.

As far as a guitar, I'm looking real hard at an Epiphone Les Paul Custom I can get a good deal on. I played it over the weekend, it's in great shape and it plays great.

Thanks again for your tips.

#2472388 - 02/18/13 11:48 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You might also post your amp questions on the feel free to ask Myles thread...good luck with the Epi Paul and keep us posted...

#2472424 - 02/18/13 02:58 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Ok thanks smile

#2472439 - 02/18/13 04:22 PM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: 5 string Mike]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Don't run off as there are guys that I'm sure will chime in 5 String on this thread and come up with some great ideas for you. How did you go from ordering a 40watt and wind up with a 20watt? I'm not a big fan of Peavey reverbs so my only suggestion is buy a reverb pedal and a delay pedal and don't bother fixing the amp verb IMHO. But, since yours is a studio model the verb may just be well worth fixing and it may sound much better than the stock models I'm familiar with...

#2472541 - 02/19/13 05:22 AM Re: Bass player playing guitar and has some questions [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Few thoughts about the amp. First of all, don't use epoxy or, even worse, Super Glue, on anything you may want to replace later. I've seen people use Super Glue on guitar nuts - never a good idea.

Second, definitely run this through the "Ask Myles" thread - if anyone can guide you, Myles can.

Unless you've got a line on an affordable spring reverb, and really enjoy digging into the guts of your amp, I'd go with a Reverb/Delay pedal, or even fold that money into more amp, at some point.

Finally, I have to chime in on Larryz's question - how did your Studio 40 turn into a beat-up Studio 20? This doesn't sound like the amp you thought you were getting, and honestly, if you'd described this amp to the Forum, ("Nondescript Peavey Studio 20 with loose spkr & dead 'verb.") I think you'd have gotten less encouragement to buy it. Hope you can make it work for you.

Edited by Winston Psmith (02/19/13 05:24 AM)
Edit Reason: ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose