Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2459683 - 01/01/13 07:09 PM Hey, I bought a nylon string
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wilmington, MA
Ibanez AEG 10 NE

I had a little pocket change and was looking at the Ibanez Artcore stuff for a big-box jazz hollow body experience. I played an Artcore AG75 and just wasn't that impressed. It seemed too bright overall to me - a brittle sounding guitar never gets right in my experience. So I went to the other direction my instrument choices need, and I did like the way the nylon string Ibanez sounded. It's a low-profile body, I think definitely more flamenco/jazz/pop oriented than strict classical, but that's a voice I'm looking to expand on.

What are your nylon string stories?

GP Island
#2459689 - 01/01/13 07:39 PM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Billster]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Nylons are very cool guitars. I have a Taylor NS34 and an NS74. They have a narrow neck compared to a classical, so us six stringers can get used to them quickly. The Nylon will inspire you to play more in a latin vibe and learn new techniques, scales and double stops. Too many stories to list.

I would suggest lightly polished or polished hard tension strings to get rid of the squeak of stock strings. Allow at least a week for the strings to stretch in before playing at a gig. The gut strings sound a little dull unplugged but your technique can make them sing. Plugged in they sound beautiful (especially with just a touch of reverb)...the strings allow for easy bluesy bends but you have to allow a little more time for the sound to arrive...you'll be changing strings more often as the silver wrap wears in about a month and a half over the frets (they still sound good even when worn, you'll see the wear marks and know when it's getting close to changing time). You're gonna love it! A snap on tuner (like a Snark) is a must. Have fun and get jazzy with it... cool

Edited by Larryz (01/01/13 07:43 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2459747 - 01/02/13 02:05 AM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Nice. cool

Try tuning it to Open-G6 (D G E G B D, Lo-To-Hi) and playing some slide, slide alternating with fretted, and fretting-behind-the-slide things 'n' stuff; wonderful warm, round tones! And it's not as strange an idea as it may seem- after all, Hawaiian Slack-Key and Steel Guitar began on gut- and nylon-strung classical/flamenco guitars...

For such nylon slide-work, I highly recommend a concave-radiused and flared slide, such as Dunlop's bell-brass "Harris Slide"- I love mine! The concave profile allows excellent clearance, greatly facilitating "fretting behind the slide" technique. Works great for radiused fretboards, even better for flat fretboards. cool

Does it have a flat fretboard, or a curving radius? I know most "classical" guitars usually have a flat fretboard, but I could dig a little r there- particularly if a compound r going from, say, 10"r at the nut/1st-fret to a flat or at least 20"r or greater at the bridge-saddle; that would allow for a flat(tish) plane across the strings for the picking-hand, with a comfy curving arc described by the fretboard... thu cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2459764 - 01/02/13 06:34 AM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Billster]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Good choice and nice looking guitar Bill. I've never played a nylon stringed guitar so have nothing further to add. Enjoy lad.

#2459794 - 01/02/13 09:02 AM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: LeftyBlues]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

that is cool Billster, i had rented a nylon string for a month. the wife was going to do Landslide at her school variety show.
after checking a few acoustics i chose the classical because the voice fit. long story short the variety show as postponed and i got to jam on a nice nylon string for a month.

being a rocker who loves throwing the thumb over the top i had to adapt with the extra width. not to mention a hammer incident on my fretting hand thumb. still , there are things that sound beautiful on a nylon string. hope you have some good times with that new puppy.

rock it, i will

#2459796 - 01/02/13 09:04 AM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Larryz]
henrysb3 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: on the move
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Nylons are very cool guitars. I have a Taylor NS34 and an NS74. They have a narrow neck compared to a classical, so us six stringers can get used to them quickly. The Nylon will inspire you to play more in a latin vibe and learn new techniques, scales and double stops. Too many stories to list.

I would suggest lightly polished or polished hard tension strings to get rid of the squeak of stock strings. Allow at least a week for the strings to stretch in before playing at a gig. The gut strings sound a little dull unplugged but your technique can make them sing. Plugged in they sound beautiful (especially with just a touch of reverb)...the strings allow for easy bluesy bends but you have to allow a little more time for the sound to arrive...you'll be changing strings more often as the silver wrap wears in about a month and a half over the frets (they still sound good even when worn, you'll see the wear marks and know when it's getting close to changing time). You're gonna love it! A snap on tuner (like a Snark) is a must. Have fun and get jazzy with it... cool

I've noticed that the wrap changes over the frets on two my nylons, frets that aren't even played. Eventually, the wire breaks and the string(s) must be replaced. A friend suggested it was some kind of bi-metal corrosion, IDK. The two that suffer from it are a Carvin NS-1 and a Yamaha with a loooong model number that I can't remember. My old Gibson C-1 doesn't seem to have the same issue.

...Bob Dylan

#2459833 - 01/02/13 10:18 AM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: henrysb3]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Both of my Nylons have the same setup, neck, strings, etc. I have never played them till a string broke but they should be nylon or composite core instead of "wire". They do make wire core strings and you might try a different brand if yours are wire. My wear patterns are the same on both guitars at this point and I can't tell you the where or why they wear like they do? The 6th string is only worn at 1st and 3rd frets, The 4th and 5th strings are worn at all frets below the 12th fret. It may be the way I play when it comes to bending or vibrato. I also note that you can tell how much your string stretches by the amount/length of wear above each fret. It probably has a lot to do with how the Gibson is made compared to the other two. My necks have a bow similar to a Fender Strat set up and are not flat. See if the Gibson neck is flat? It's a mystery to me but my Taylor qualified luthier said the set up for Taylor is correct with a little bow. You may have a little fret rub even though you're not playing at that fret...

I know we have some classical guys out there that can give you a better answer but we haven't heard from them for a while? I just play the nylons for fun and inspiration. It's good to have two nylons and change the strings at least a week apart, that way the strings have time to stretch before the gig, if you play out...

#2459939 - 01/02/13 05:32 PM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Larryz]
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Definitely a flatter fretboard, but also narrower than a traditional classical. I'm looking to use it more for my jazz repertoire, but also some songwriter type material.

#2459949 - 01/02/13 06:52 PM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Billster]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Billster
Definitely a flatter fretboard, but also narrower than a traditional classical. I'm looking to use it more for my jazz repertoire, but also some songwriter type material.

Would you say it's flat flat, or flatter, a large radius?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2460146 - 01/03/13 05:26 PM Re: Hey, I bought a nylon string [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Flat like the lonesome prairie. Looks almost concave from a certain angle wink

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose