Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2459083 - 12/30/12 03:22 AM The Secret to Mastering Guitar!
DrDankenstein Offline

THERE ISN'T ONE! Sorry but don't you guys hate all these ad's and commercial's online or on TV that say things like "Top guitar tricks of the pro's" or "Top Ten Guitar Secrets!!!" I'll give you the REAL secret to playing guitar....put your finger on the right fret and pick the right string. Keep it to yourself, it's a secret. Sorry guy's I'm new and both of my post's have been whining about bad guitar "teachers" but I promise I'll quit. Hello All!

Edited by DrDankenstein (12/30/12 03:22 AM)

GP Island
#2459087 - 12/30/12 05:05 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hello...:)

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2459095 - 12/30/12 05:57 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: harvey]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Aw, man... I've been going about it all wrong all these years, putting my heel on the wrong fret and throwing hedgehogs at the wrong string... D'oh! wink grin

Welcome to the GPF, 'Dank'!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2459109 - 12/30/12 07:41 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Yeah there is a secret to mastering guitar, it is called relentless practice, no days off, and when you get bored with guitar practice, practice some more.

#2459122 - 12/30/12 08:40 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Welcome, Dr. Actually, the top "trick" of the pros, and the top "secret" to playing guitar are the same.

Practice.
Whitefang

#2459138 - 12/30/12 09:46 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DrDankenstein
THERE ISN'T ONE! Sorry but don't you guys hate all these ad's and commercial's online or on TV that say things like "Top guitar tricks of the pro's" or "Top Ten Guitar Secrets!!!" I'll give you the REAL secret to playing guitar....put your finger on the right fret and pick the right string. Keep it to yourself, it's a secret. Sorry guy's I'm new and both of my post's have been whining about bad guitar "teachers" but I promise I'll quit. Hello All!

which frikin string is the right one? and which fret? some secret...grumble

rock it, i will

#2459139 - 12/30/12 09:48 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: whitefang]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Welcome, Dr. Actually, the top "trick" of the pros, and the top "secret" to playing guitar are the same.

Practice.
Whitefang

i would practice but hot Russian women seek me now.
and why do plastic surgeons hate the 53 yr old mom who has a simple trick to looking young?

rock it, i will

#2459145 - 12/30/12 10:37 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Guitarzan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Welcome aboard Doc! Tricks are for kids and there is no secret to mastering the guitar other than playing from your heart and from your soul. You either is or you ain't. Even though I'll never be considered a master, I'm still going to have fun playing and trying to figure out this masterpiece...

#2459212 - 12/30/12 04:19 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Larryz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
The Secret - Play it, slowly, no SLOWER, no no I said SLOWER! Over and over and over and over and over making it absolutely perfect, no I said PERFECT every time. After years, and years, and years of this, you build a warehouse of technique to draw from...

The best guitar players are OCD...

#2459213 - 12/30/12 04:22 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Terrell]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
The way it was put to me, all too many years ago: "Amateur musicians practice a part until they get it right; professionals practice it until they can't get it wrong."

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2459223 - 12/30/12 05:05 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
The way it was put to me, all too many years ago: "Amateur musicians practice a part until they get it right; professionals practice it until they can't get it wrong."

I like it! Well said, Danny. thu

#2459224 - 12/30/12 05:07 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Terrell]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Terrell
The Secret - Play it, slowly, no SLOWER, no no I said SLOWER! Over and over and over and over and over making it absolutely perfect, no I said PERFECT every time.

In one of the too many instructional books I own, the author writes, "If you make a single mistake, you're playing too fast"!

#2459242 - 12/30/12 06:18 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Fred_C]
DrDankenstein Offline

Great points. Practice and when you not practicing noodle. I like to improvise on whatever is in the background (radio, tv.) when I'm bored. I've always said the way I learned to play was Hard Work, Determination, and a total lack of a social life.

#2459250 - 12/30/12 06:49 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Careful, though- one danger to musicians that is just now getting major attention is excessive practice leading to repetitive stress injuries, or worse, as a factor in task specific focal dystonias.

Moderation in all things!

...including moderation! wink

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/30/12 06:53 PM)

#2459261 - 12/30/12 07:15 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Careful, though- one danger to musicians that is just now getting major attention is excessive practice leading to repetitive stress injuries, or worse, as a factor in task specific focal dystonias.

Moderation in all things!

...including moderation! wink

Hey Danny,

What the hell is "task specific focal dystonias"?

#2459271 - 12/30/12 07:56 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Fred_C]
DrDankenstein Offline

It's a condition of damaged muscles or tendons due to repetition. I will say this though: if you use proper technique you can avoid most ill effects such as tendonitis.

#2459283 - 12/30/12 08:29 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Actually "task specific focal dystonias" are neurological conditions that have a physical trigger- usually repeated motions, such as you'd have in practicing- that lead to a lack of control of the muscles that were being excercised. That can mean you can't make the muscle move enough, but often, it means that the muscle moves excessively in ways you don't want it to.

It's what ended Liona Boyd's live performance career. (IDK if she can still record.)

Some who study this disorder liken it to burning out a circuit.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/30/12 08:30 PM)

#2459300 - 12/30/12 10:01 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DrDankenstein Offline

I stand corrected but still keeping good technique is the best way to avoid thinks like that. There is a reason Segovia was playing pretty much till he died. Playing guitar shouldn't hurt or your doing something wrong. The worst you should feel is somewhat akward because your learning and haven't developed muscle memory for that particular song/lead/exercise/what have you.

#2459307 - 12/30/12 10:27 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not quite- good technique will help you avoid repetitive stress injuries, but not task specific focal dystonias. To have a task specific focal dystonia, you need 2 things:

1) a certain neurological precursor which- as I understand it- has not yet been precisely identified what it is, nor whether it is genetic or environmental or both.

2) practicing a task repetitively

Note that 2 doesn't talk about technique, because it doesn't matter. Al that matters is that you do it frequently. THAT is what makes dystonia so damn scary.

You HAVE to practice in order to get better, But, in a classic Catch-22, if you have that neurological precursor, at the same time you're getting better at the task- creating neural pathways and muscle memory- you're also increasing the likelihood that you will suddenly become worse and deteriorate from than on. Its like a connection in your brain got fried.

Liona had terrific technique. She first noticed she was having problems controlling her hands practicing some warm-up arpeggios she had been doing most of her career. Its a scary story.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/30/12 10:30 PM)

#2459313 - 12/31/12 12:55 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Guitarzan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Zan of the Dead

Practice.
Whitefang

i would practice but hot Russian women seek me now.
and why do plastic surgeons hate the 53 yr old mom who has a simple trick to looking young?

grin grin grin thu

#2459349 - 12/31/12 07:12 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Terrell]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
The Secret - Play it, slowly, no SLOWER, no no I said SLOWER! Over and over and over and over and over making it absolutely perfect, no I said PERFECT every time. After years, and years, and years of this, you build a warehouse of technique to draw from...

Why, that sounds just like...

PRACTICING! shocked
Whitefang

#2459353 - 12/31/12 07:23 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Why, that sounds just like...

PRACTICING! shocked
Whitefang

And eventually, it sounds like having ones $4!t together.

Not that I would know... blush crazy

#2459360 - 12/31/12 08:23 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas
The secret to mastering guitar, study robotics, the time for human guitar playing is coming to and end smile
http://www.youtube.com/user/gruupi

#2459362 - 12/31/12 08:24 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
A frantic late concert ticket holder ran up and asked a cab driver "what's the fastest way to Carnegie Hall?" the cabbie answered: "practice". cool

#2459382 - 12/31/12 09:15 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2459401 - 12/31/12 10:28 AM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Yeah there is a secret to mastering guitar, it is called relentless practice, no days off, and when you get bored with guitar practice, practice some more.

The thing I've noticed about any guitarist we all regard as a master is that they still think they' have a way to go... no matter how confident they may be.

Getting there is more fun than being there.

#2459425 - 12/31/12 01:14 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: p90jr]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

The thing I've noticed about any guitarist we all regard as a master is that they still think they' have a way to go... no matter how confident they may be.

Getting there is more fun than being there.

IMO, the best part of the journey is that the "Destination" we all seek doesn't exist. You never "arrive". There is always more to learn, more to study, more to do. rawk For me and, as you so insightfully observe, many serious guitarists, the journey is everthing.

#2460147 - 01/03/13 06:04 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: p90jr]
DrDankenstein Offline

Getting there is more fun than being there. [/quote]

Yeah dude I've noticed that when you get really good you are more intimately aware of exactly what it is that you DON'T know. Even though I consider myself to have mastered all the techniques, I could never call myself a master because I know what I don't know.

#2460149 - 01/03/13 06:11 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: DrDankenstein]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
I practiced until my calluses developed calluses..then went to the crossroads. It didn't work. frown

#2460153 - 01/03/13 06:37 PM Re: The Secret to Mastering Guitar! [Re: Minte]
DrDankenstein Offline

Minte you've brought up a good point. If you wanna get real good go wait in the Mississippi delta and you can sell your soul to the devil. Sure your soul will belong to Lucifer but you'll be able to shred like a pitbull on a poodle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose