Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2457484 - 12/20/12 06:59 AM Newbie here
soiu222 Offline

Loc: canada
Hello guys,i am new at this forum..some of my friends suggest to me that this forum is good and very helpful for you because i want to bacome a guitarist and thats why ichoose this forum..i hope you people help me and shared good and authentic tips about how i become a good guitarist...

GP Island
#2457495 - 12/20/12 07:25 AM Re: Newbie here [Re: soiu222]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I'm largely self-taught, but I took lessons for the better part of a year, and learned a hell of a lot of stuff...and faster than if I had jut been trying to figure it out on my own.

IOW, find a good teacher.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2457498 - 12/20/12 07:42 AM Re: Newbie here [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I'm largely self-taught, but I took lessons for the better part of a year, and learned a hell of a lot of stuff...and faster than if I had jut been trying to figure it out on my own.

IOW, find a good teacher.

+1 on Danny's comments. IMO, a year's worth of lessons will do you a world of good. Find a teacher who teaches the genre of music you want to play . Not only will you have a much steeper (faster) learning curve, but you will probably avoid a lot of bad habits and errors in technique very early on. Good Luck and Welcome to the forum.

#2457516 - 12/20/12 08:45 AM Re: Newbie here [Re: Fred_C]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
+1 on both of the above,

Especially if this is your first instrument...

#2457573 - 12/20/12 12:28 PM Re: Newbie here [Re: Fusker]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Welcome aboard soiu222! good luck in your new life-long endeavor (provided you stick to it). No matter what else you do, find an easy guitar to play. It doesn't have to be expensive and should not be condsired the final guitar as you will probably play alot of different ones in your lifetime. Take an experienced buddy with you and have him tell you if it has an easy to play action. Nothing worse than trying to learn on a guitar that just won't let you play it, as the action is so high you never hear the notes or have trouble fingering the chords...good luck and have fun! You will get a lot of help from some real cool experienced guys on this forum... cool

#2457579 - 12/20/12 12:58 PM Re: Newbie here [Re: Larryz]
SEHpicker Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Welcome soiu222 - if you do a wee bit of research on previous posts here you will find a ton of good advice and information as this topic was very well covered over the past month or two.
Just thought I'd save you some time waiting for replies.
Good luck to you in your musical adventures!

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2457672 - 12/21/12 05:24 AM Re: Newbie here [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Nothing worse than trying to learn on a guitar that just won't let you play it, as the action is so high you never hear the notes or have trouble fingering the chords...good luck and have fun! You will get a lot of help from some real cool experienced guys on this forum... cool

+1 on Larry's insightful comments. Often a brand new player will buy an instrument that plays like a pig and sounds like a herniated cat, because "I don't know if I'm gonna' like it." This is an error, because the instrument becomes a limiting factor in your development. Buy a decent quality instrument. Also, recognize that any instrument you buy will benefit immensely from a professional setup. This will make any instrument easier to play and probably improve tone as well. Depending on where you live a setup will probably run you somewhere around $45-65. Ah! The excitement of a first guitar. I remember my first guitar (1964) like it was yesterday. When I upgraded, my mother turned it into a planter. It looked pretty cool.

#2457746 - 12/21/12 09:54 AM Re: Newbie here [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
As far as I'M concerned, you've come to the RIGHT PLACE, 222.

The guys here are VERY informative and generous, and most importantly, NON-JUDGEMENTAL.

We believe there are NO stupid questions. EVERYbody has to start somewhere.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose