Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2457128 - 12/18/12 06:55 AM The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year?
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Hi
I haven`t been around much lately-in fact I couldn`t access this site for almost two weeks no matter what I did. No idea what was up with that, but then events got in the way-they still are-and I wasn`t able to check in.
Anyway, I guess it would be easy to say 2012 sucked. It would be very easy.
Many people I admire, whom I grew up admiring, are no longer with us. I thought last year was bad, this year was a lot worse. I`m not going to list all the names here-but just checking I found one I wasn`t even aware of-Mickey of Mickey and Sylvia, whose `Love is Strange` is still being covered, died in November. One of 87 entries-that`s just the celebrities.
I lost a best friend, who passed unexpectedly at his home. Especially shocking since I had spoken to him by phone just a few days before.
Now it looks like my own family is under the gun as well. I had not been planning to be stateside this winter but after hearing that I changed plans. That`s when I made a very unpleasant discovery-the online booking service I used charged my credit card even though the booking was not completed. Is that even legal? After running up a small fortune in international calls, I got the matter cleared up but it was too late, all the tickets back home were in the ridiculousphere. It doesn`t seem urgent at this point but we don`t know the whole story yet. Really sucks.
I had hoped to have at least a few songs release-ready this year-didn`t happen. I had hoped for one or more dojo belt promotions-didn`t happen.
Then there was the earthquake. I`d like to think that`s it for a while, so the nuke plant can be stabilized. Do I think that-no I do not.
Ya...well anyway travel continues to be my way out. Going on a long-overdue return visit to Thailand in a few days. If I don`t run into too many tourist season nightmares it will be great. In the spring I went to England and picked up one piece of my ultimate rig-The Rodenberg Gas 828 Dist/OD pedal. In the summer I had an epic reunion & jam with the brother of another best friend who passed a few years ago, these were the guys who forever changed my mind about piano-I belonged with a guitar. Had a brief but awesome night out with another long-lost buddy in Shanghai, and a spin through Hollywood and Beverly Hills with a friend of my cousin who should be on a magazine cover. Coming back here from the states I managed to get my flagship electric back with no extra charges, now I have both swords of Ragnarok with me. Too kool. A couple of weeks ago I was in a seminar with Leo T. Gage Jr., a legend even in my college days. If you saw the series `Human Weapon`, he was the guy in the Philippines who had those two running through a rice paddy and smashing it with sticks. He even tried some of my pumpkin bread.
Overall, some very nice moments in an overall disappointing year. I hope 2013 means better times ahead for everyone, including me.

Edited by skipclone 1 (12/18/12 03:18 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2457134 - 12/18/12 07:31 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Wow Skip - You do get around!
Yeah, I think we are all looking forward to better times...
The world is changing so fast it's sometimes bewildering.
Let's stay positive and manifest good things!
I hope 2013 brings you peace, happiness, good health and prosperity.

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2457166 - 12/18/12 09:47 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: SEHpicker]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
2012 was a good year for me and I hope 2013 will be the same or even better. For all of those musical greats that pass on each year, I think of them as being in a better world now. They will always be alive in our thoughts and we are blessed to still have their recordings...

#2457173 - 12/18/12 10:01 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Could I complain? Yes.

Am I going to? Hell no!

I had ups & downs, but more ups than down. And what downs I had were thankfully quite shallow.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2457198 - 12/18/12 11:50 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
In short, interesting- with plenty enough good surprises to balance the not-so-good, and then some. The near future is tantalizingly promising for me... Forgive me for not going into greater detail.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2457238 - 12/18/12 03:19 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No apologies needed, as general or specific as you like.

#2457268 - 12/18/12 07:39 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
Vin-erator Offline

Loc: Wallyworld, CT
Hi all! I've been away (from the forum) for about five years. This has been a good year for me. I've kept making music, sometimes, not as often as I would like. But, good gigs still happen. It's been a while since I've picked up a new guitar. But, I have a pretty nice collection of working axes, with a few I believe will be valuable in the near future.

I also opened my own business after working for a firm for eighteen years. My wife of four(+) years has been supportive of my new venture, and the income building that takes some time. . .

I'm hoping that 2013 is more of what was good this year, with a bit of improvement in a few places.

Rock on!
vc
www.42ndstband.com

#2457269 - 12/18/12 07:41 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Man, what a year!?! For my part, I've been lucky. My house is still standing, after some evil storms, and my wife and dog are well. I got my eyes fixed, back in the late Spring, right around the time I finally pulled my album together, all good things.

Summer was brutal, Fall was rough in a different way. I lost one old friend in October, and another in November, both guys I'd known for over thirty years. The flip side of that coin is a bunch of musician buddies, from a very strange band, have reunited after many years, the result of meeting up at one of the memorial services. So it goes . . .

In some ways, I'll be grateful to leave this year behind - I'm ready to turn the calendar over, and start again. For all my buddies here, I wish you good health, and good fortune in the New Year, but most of all, I wish you peace.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2457334 - 12/19/12 08:19 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Good health in the house all year so far, and I ain't complaining. 2012 was good to us in this house.

Here is hoping 2013 will be as good or better not only for this house but for yours as well...

#2457340 - 12/19/12 08:39 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Had some nice gigs & made some satisfying music. Had way too much work & had to leave a number of my music projects for later. Some new gear, yet not enough time to explore. Hit my 60th birthday, my 25th anniversary, & my 20th year as sound designer for Kronos. So, a year of milestones. Health holding up, family members all alive & doing various versions of well. No complaints, except about not having enough downtime for my own music. The usual.
Holiday cheer to all here,

#2457481 - 12/20/12 06:47 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Somebody here with the resources and patience should do some kind of "memorial" thread, listing all in the music industry who've passed away during the past year. Like how TCM does for the movie industry each year's end.

As for me, the past year yeilded neither excitement nor tragedy. Each year that passes brings me closer to settling old debts, so that's a good thing. Even though my wife's health hasn't gotten better, it hasn't worsened, so that's good, too. A nephew and his wife split up for good this year, and he's beginning to realize THAT was a good thing. So are the two babies in the family born this year.

Sadly, popular music has gotten worse, and I'm hoping 2013 brings about the period in the musical cycle that introduces something new and exciting. Also, I'm hoping that the NHL comes to a settlement, ends the lockout and has a season next year. And I'm pledging that I'll dust off the old Epiphone and get to some serious practice on her.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (12/20/12 06:49 AM)

#2457541 - 12/20/12 10:42 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Scott Fraser]
TuskBuffer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Lorain,OH,UNITED STATES
I've had ups and downs, still working, business is going well...not a millionaire yet, but just one dollar (and the right ticket) away. One thing that I'm really happy about is I've come up with some really cool stuff for TuskBuffer this past year - engraving the picks and even have my own, original pick style/shape!

Skip--didn't you say a while back that you were contemplating picking up a guitar from Thailand to replace one that you had? Maybe that was the Philippines...anyway, best of luck/fortune/whatever you want to call it to everybody on the forum!
http://www.tuskbuffer.net
TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

#2457870 - 12/22/12 06:53 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: TuskBuffer]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

well i didn't die yesterday so i am pretty happy.

Seriously it was a pretty good year , my oldest (Brett) is in his last yr of high school and has is going to study recording arts next year.

Our youngest Ben is into archery, smart as hell and doing great in school as well as being the tallest in the family. our gigantic cat Smokie passed away.

my wife has a 6 hr EA position closer to home.

I have a three piece in the works with my best friend bass player and lawyer drummer buddy ( everyone should have one of those)
25 yrs in making the best tires in the world, got kidney stones and somehow i may have missed passing them..i hope.
our health has been good.
got a flying v with a maple board and stumbled onto a 26 yr old oiled neck , edge equipped, dual bucker Ibanez Roadstar2 rg420 that is 100% original and solid as a rock.
spending too much money on my 04 focus zts.
and i get better looking each day.....

rock it, i will

#2457955 - 12/22/12 08:41 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Guitarzan]
Billster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wilmington, MA
Well, better than 2011! In '11 I lost my straight gig, so I scrambled by on unemployment benefits and picking up a few guitar students for pocket money. In 2012 I found regular work again, and that's gone really well, plus I've been able to hang on to some students for pocket money.

Got into playing with the church band once or twice a month, and that's been kind of fun - I dont have to run the program, just make a joyful noise.

The kid is doing well in school and took up drums. A little ways away from jamming, but the path is there...

Still healthy and handsome as ever wink

#2457957 - 12/22/12 09:54 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Guitarzan]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Originally Posted By: Zan of the Dead
well i didn't die yesterday so i am pretty happy.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/22/12 09:55 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2458048 - 12/23/12 05:15 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Pretty much where I was this time last year. I don't think I'm any further behind, I know I'm not any further ahead. And, I'm hoping that better will develop in the coming year.

#2458795 - 12/28/12 09:06 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Looking better and better each day! Starting off the New Year on a high note! I can't explain... wink

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2459409 - 12/31/12 11:08 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We welcomed our first child, and she gets giddy when I play guitar around her. The wife has already bought her a small acoustic for when she gets old enough.

I would complain about being somewhat bored, unfulfilled and unchallenged in the day job, but I HAVE a job, which I remember is a big thing these days.

My main original band has just puttered to a undiscussed halt. I put a lot of work into and used a lot of connections and favors for that band, and it did well... time to go solo and just use sidemen.

#2459411 - 12/31/12 11:13 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Still above ground, not behind bars so no complaints form the left side. Highlight of the year was the weekend in chicago with Mrs. Lefty, we loooooooved Chi-town. I really have to get back into music though, drifted way of course in ought-twelve. Here's to all of my fellow forumites in thirteen!

#2459488 - 12/31/12 04:39 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: LeftyBlues]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
CONGRATS!! P90 on the new baby girl! cool

#2459517 - 12/31/12 08:15 PM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks, Larryz. She's a gem.

#2460208 - 01/04/13 01:34 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: TuskBuffer]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: TuskBuffer
I've had ups and downs, still working, business is going well...not a millionaire yet, but just one dollar (and the right ticket) away. One thing that I'm really happy about is I've come up with some really cool stuff for TuskBuffer this past year - engraving the picks and even have my own, original pick style/shape!

Skip--didn't you say a while back that you were contemplating picking up a guitar from Thailand to replace one that you had? Maybe that was the Philippines...anyway, best of luck/fortune/whatever you want to call it to everybody on the forum!

UPDATE:
Just got back the day before yesterday-WOW! I did in fact walk over the Thai-Myanmar friendship Bridge and spend a very awesome day in Myawaddy Myanmar:

After that about 25 hours crossing the country by bus and boat, and arrived at Koh Phangan-coincidentally, just in time for one of the legendary full moon all night beach parties. A-freakin-mazing.
One thing about listening to a lot of DJ music-it spoils you for sound. The systems these guys had threw out such lovely punch and separation, it`s really hard to hear a live band with unintelligible vocals, everything mashed together and unable to tell who`s soloing etc.-now I did hear a Thai alt-rock band on NYE that sounded pretty darn good, but not at the level those DJ systems were pushing.

Anyway Tuskbuffer-I had an LP that spent several years sitting in Bangkok, which I finally did get back. I wasn`t out to replace that specifically but I have since picked up an Edwards LP that is super-unfortunately that is one guitar I don`t have with me, it`s still in N.Y. as is the original LP. The Philippines is where I usually go to get acoustics, my Seagull is also in N.Y. but I have one here from Cebu that plays and sounds great, string tension is higher than I like and is has to be adjusted often but mostly it does fine. For electrics I need look no further than where I am though there are some really fine ones from Europe these days. In fact here`s a Japanese maker I just ran across, don`t know much about them but I like the model called Barock-named after the president maybe?
http://blog.waltzguitars.com/?eid=1176222

Just looking at specs for that guitar-body is korina, with a teakwood neck (!) list price is about $2,000 at current rates but if it`s in a shop somewhere that will come down.

Edited by skipclone 1 (01/04/13 08:11 PM)

#2460482 - 01/05/13 08:41 AM Re: The Wrap-up, 2012 edition-How was your year? [Re: skipclone 1]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry, brain fart-about $3500 list for that guitar

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose