Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2454133 - 12/05/12 07:53 AM What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut?
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
That's my issue lately. I've learned a lot and grown a lot as a musician in the last couple of years, and people I used to play with HAVEN'T.... they don't want to explore any new territory.

And trying to find new people who are in a position to commit to a band isn't that easy, unfortunately. Right now just looking for people to play with for fun from time to time.

I could go back to playing in a couple churches I know, I guess, but dealing with musically clueless pastors is something I don't have as much patience with as I used to!

Forgive the self-pity/ranting and raving, LOL.

But am I the only one who isn't stuck in a time warp? Sometimes it seems that way!

GP Island
#2454134 - 12/05/12 07:56 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
You're not alone- a buddy of mine went so far as to get a music masters, and found himself tossed out of the band because he was pushing the others to expand their horizons.

Result: without their rock-solid bass player, a band on the cusp of getting signed imploded within a year.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2454140 - 12/05/12 08:14 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Expanding one's horizons" can be nothing more than self-centered navel gazing,or it can be beneficial to all concerned.

In the case I'm talking about, I wasn't thinking in terms of turning every song into a "Concerto For Eric", LOL, or drastic revamps of material, or of forcing people to woodshed for hours on styles of music they're not really interested in.

Just coming up with nice arrangements to add a little more class and color to the tunes. And a little more work on solo parts to where they're not just winging it all the time - a little more professional polish, in other words! In a tasteful way - to ADD to the tunes, not bury them....

I guess it's also a matter of how you approach these things. If the "advancing" musician is arrogant and condescending, it's really annoying. So I'm trying to not come across that way.

But right now, I'm not playing with anyone, so it's really a moot point. Oh well, I can always buy nylon strings for one of my acoustics and get out some classical pieces from college.... that'd be fun.

#2454213 - 12/05/12 09:42 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
It's fun to play with old friends but life is too short to be in a band that is not a good fit for you. Playing solo will expand YOUR horizons and can be a lot of fun as well. I know it forces me to fill in the lead parts when there is no lead player using little bass runs, chord runs, trills, imagination, etc.

I can't be in a band that is rigid and not open to improvisation and freedom with arrangements. If they want to make the rules and play it just like the record, then I'm not their guy. They need to find someone like-minded. You have to enjoy what you are doing and if someone comes along that feels the same way you do, then you have a duo...You can always hire bass, and drums if you need to.

+1 It's good to get things down and be polished too...but, I have buds that are solo players and when we get together it's fun to have a rhythm player so you can do some leads, jam and each throw in some new ideas as they come up, to include the harmony in the vocals...

#2454301 - 12/05/12 12:57 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Eric - it's not just about musical skills, it's really about growth, period. Some people want to play the same old material the same old way, some people want to have the same thing for breakfast every day. It's all cool, until somebody wants to change. I once gave up on playing with a group of good friends because they could never keep their equipment together. The keyboard player had two of the same model synth, and, in tandem, they added up to most of one working unit. That was just one example - in short, I was the only one who could be counted on to show up with a fully functioning rig, and very often, some spares for the other guys. Tiring . . .

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition, unless you, or the folks you've been playing with, make it one. If you still enjoy playing with these folks enough to respect the limitations of that arrangement, then keep at it. In the meantime, pursue solo options, look around for a band that wants something you don't usually do, re-string that classical and tackle some Jobim. Either you'll find a new place for yourself, or, just maybe, one of the guys you've been playing with will finally ask "Hey, how did you come up with that?", and you'll have the start of a new conversation.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2454318 - 12/05/12 01:36 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Short answer- yeah, been there, more or less...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2454391 - 12/05/12 06:38 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

me, too... essentially stuck there and branded as being "difficult" and "never satisfied"...

I've never been able to just be in one band (which a lot of people demanded back in the day, for some reason) because it was boring and frustrating, and I like more than 1 style or subgenre of music.

#2454516 - 12/06/12 08:15 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
It's hard to get anyone who's comfortable where they are to try the risk of "changing chairs", if you will. If the rest of the band is happy where they are, they might not want to fudge that up. There are many other situations in life where this applies. And it's hard to deal with. I wish I had some solution for ya.
Whitefang

#2454534 - 12/06/12 08:54 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: whitefang]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's business.

#2454569 - 12/06/12 09:50 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: CEB]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was really just kvetching, guys, a member of the B & M (bitch and moan) brigade.
In the words of that hit song "I Will Survive".... LOL

#2454602 - 12/06/12 10:43 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Eric Iverson]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut?

Mine definitely are, because I simulated them using composition software, then exported backing tracks and that is whom I play with every single day. One thing however, they never miss a beat and they never play a wrong note, always the same. Pretty reliable too. I know exactly where to place every note and every chord.

Now if I could only holograph them to seem real on stage........

#2454641 - 12/06/12 12:59 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Mine definitely are, because I simulated them using composition software, then exported backing tracks and that is whom I play with every single day. One thing however, they never miss a beat and they never play a wrong note, always the same. Pretty reliable too. I know exactly where to place every note and every chord.

Good thing about your band is they won't snort, smoke or drink up all the profits, they won't get the promoter's daughter pregnant, & they won't curse at the customers. Sounds like a pretty good band to me.

#2454653 - 12/06/12 01:18 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I was really just kvetching, guys, a member of the B & M (bitch and moan) brigade.
In the words of that hit song "I Will Survive".... LOL

You're sooooooo Gloria Gainor...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2454768 - 12/07/12 05:53 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

She's my alter ego... or so I'm told....

#2454786 - 12/07/12 07:29 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: desertbluesman]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Now if I could only holograph them to seem real on stage........

DBM - Instead of holograms, how bout setting up mannequins holding instruments while you front the band - that would be FUNNY! Just introducing the band would be a whole schtick routine in itself!!

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2454807 - 12/07/12 08:23 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: SEHpicker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"On drums, Mr. Howdy Dewdat!"

#2454817 - 12/07/12 08:41 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: SEHpicker]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: SEHpicker

DBM - Instead of holograms, how bout setting up mannequins holding instruments while you front the band - that would be FUNNY! Just introducing the band would be a whole schtick routine in itself!!

My wifey accuses me of playing with myself rawk when I jam to my backing tracks because I did everything, bass, drums, strings, voices, keys, rhythm guitars (I did the guitars recorded live of course) and whatever else is on those tracks. Of course the mannequins would all have to resemble me with different instruments in their hands. It would be a hoot but I ain't carrying all that stuff in to a venue for a lousy hundred bucks. (When I can make that money in 3 hours estimating my masonry tasks in my home office without lifting a single ounce of weight). (Us former masons have a terrible aversion to lifting heavy things, it is just job related phobia I guess).

#2454824 - 12/07/12 08:51 AM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
My wifey accuses me of playing with myself...

And that animated emoticon isn't helping any...

#2454895 - 12/07/12 01:17 PM Re: What if it's your bandmates that are in the rut? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Yes mannequins would be a bit cumbersome... ok - how bout blow-up dolls?? grin

www.huntgroupproductions.com

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose