Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2454063 - 12/04/12 09:42 PM They say not to do this...
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

... I did it anyway.

I got a used zT Lunchbox extension cab for very cheap barely used, thought maybe the Crate I keep n the car as a back-up amp might fit with it. As I unboxed the cab I noticed it says "for use with zT Lunchbox combo ONLY!!!" It voids the warranty (which I don't have since I bought it used) if you plug up another amp to it, and they say it was designed solely for use with only the Lunchbox, which is built to interact with it in a specific way and even has a special extra power amp circuit for it...

But I plugged it in, anyway. And it sounds nice... I couldn't blast away because everyone is asleep right now, but at late night living room level it sounded good... might not take it cranked up (it's a 100 watt cab - the Lunchbox is 200 watts - and the Crate head is 160 watts, I think) but I might push it a little bit and see... The Crate has more bottom end than the Lunchbox a buddy uses that I've played, but considering where the level was set I'm thinking it isn't as efficient/loud as the zT interacting with the cab. Maybe I'll just look for a used Lunchbox.

GP Island
#2454117 - 12/05/12 07:10 AM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Can you open it up and see what's in it?

#2454176 - 12/05/12 09:03 AM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: Terrell]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I have a ZT Club12 and they make a Club12 ext cab for it too which helps to avoid this kind or worry. Once I plug my Mustang Floor into it I can tweek all kind of sounds and make the Club12 sound like a Fender tube amp...on the speaker out instructions it says to make sure any speaker you plug it into will handle 100watts (if I remember right so don't listen to me, Ask Myles).

One thing I will recommend is not to place that Crate (if it gets warm at all) on top of the ZT cab or ZT amp as the sparkle type cover is just a piece of tape and it can't take any kind of heat. Mine will bubble up a little just sitting in the back of a car from heat coming through the windows. So I remember to leave a window cracked open and cover the amp on hot days...

#2454397 - 12/05/12 06:54 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: Terrell]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Terrell
Can you open it up and see what's in it?

sure, though I've seen the inside of my buddy's... it's just a black, unlabeled ceramic speaker with a rather large magnet to it.

Cranked it a bit, and it was loud, but not as loud as a Lunchbox...

My buddy wants to buy this cab from me since he's stopped using his AC30 gigging around New Orleans and just uses the Lunchbox for portability/space reasons, so I'm just gonna pass it on.

The Crate cabs that went with the Powerblock had 1 Celestion G12K-100... a good, small, loud 1 X 12" cab would come in handy for me sometimes so maybe I'll scoop up a speaker and find a small cab.

#2454399 - 12/05/12 07:04 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

by the way, the new 35 watt zT Lunchbox Jr (even smaller) is on sale for $115 right now at Hello Music.

#2454400 - 12/05/12 07:06 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

after I typed that here... I had to order one. I have problems, I guess...

#2454405 - 12/05/12 07:25 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: p90jr
after I typed that here... I had to order one...

Izzatt what they say not to do? wink grin

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2454409 - 12/05/12 07:35 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Probably... it's tiny, fairly loud and has a DC battery capability and stereo iPod in, so I can mentally justify it to myself as a travel practice amp/busking amp...

#2456500 - 12/14/12 08:49 AM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Got the zT Lunchbox Jr. in yesterday... just having the chance to play through it turned up now.

My verdict... it's small, runs on optional DC battery pack, so I can take it on trips. I'm not sure it would be loud enough for busking uses.

Soundwise, nice cleans, I hate solid state "clipping" overdrive when you use the gain knob past a few notches. It's supposedly 35 watts, but isn't as loud as my Vox AC4 on the 4 watt setting. And it rattles if turned up more than 3/4. It has an iPod in on the back, so I plugged in my iPhone and and iRig and tried to use it to amplify that, but it takes a while to get that to work on my aging phone so I got impatient.

I played a strat with vintage noiseless pickups and a Heritage goldtop LP with S. Duncan '59 neck/JB bridge through it.

So, at an on sale price of $115, it's a okay toy I can fit in a suitcase. I can't imagine a gig where it would be usable... maybe the quietest restaurant gig there is...

A used Vox DA5 would be a much superior purchase, though bigger. If you need an amp the size of a kid's lunch box for some reason, this is it.

A bandmate uses the original zt Lunchbox, and I question whether it's actually 200 watts but it does keep up with a band, without a lot of bottom end from it. He lives with that because he plays all the time in the French Quarter and load-ins are a pain, the zT in a bag hanging around his neck and his keyboard and guitar in gig bags lets him make one trip.

The 15 watt Vox Pathfinder I've had for years will remain the "no space and keep the volume low" gig option for me, other than Sansamp into the PA.

#2456503 - 12/14/12 09:00 AM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Got Amplitube working on the iPhone (seems like I have to delete and re-download the app every time I want to use it to get it to work) and the Lunchbox Jr sounds nice as an amplifier of that, but I swear i have USB computer speakers I paid $15 for that are louder.

#2456561 - 12/14/12 12:17 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Thanks for the ZT report...I have a ZT Club 12 that weighs in around 22lbs for quick in and outs and practices. It really will work in the clubs and I've even used it at an outdoor gig and was told to turn down a little... cool

#2459519 - 12/31/12 08:24 PM Re: They say not to do this... [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Cool, I like my buddy's Lunchbox, and it cuts it with full bands that aren't quiet.

Spending more quality time with this little thing, I really dig it. It reminds me of a little silverface Champ that I used a bit for recording in a friend's studio. I have a solid state Vox Pathfinder 15 watt practice amp that I like the sound of, but the ZT might have a different vibe, kind of tube-like.

I tossed it into a duffle-bag with my clothes for a few days at the in-law's place for Christmas, and that's really nice and useful, plus plugging the iPhone into it was a cool option to have there, too.

I'm still skeptical of the 35 watt rating. Like I said, my Vox AC4 on 4 watts has more volume, and the Vox Pathfinder at 15 watts is much, much louder. But the portability and DC battery pack option make me glad I picked it up for the sale price. This would've been wonderful for me when I was a kid...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose