Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2453798 - 12/03/12 07:32 PM Guitar Question
Ramiro Offline

Loc: Chicago
I have a non amp related question. Actually, I have probably about a million of them but I'll start with basic stuff.

First, I should probably describe my level of playing. I get the basic blues scale and I get the pentatonic minor scale and the toughest solo I've ever taught myself to play is the one from "Two Princes" from the Spin Doctors but I couldn't put a solo together to save my life.

I took lessons for a while and I did pick up some good stuff. I finally figured out why country sounds country-pentatonic major with major keys in place of pentatonic minor. that was a huge dawning for me at the time.

my question is are most guitar solos in classic Rock 'n' Roll within a song done on one scale or the other or are the done using a mixture of both?

I was taught the chromatic and diatonic scales but after a while, I noticed notes started getting added to the diatonic scale and it all just blended together for me to the point of confusion.

I would really like to learn how to solo on my own but I'm super confused. I was also taught to resolve solos on the root note so that's a little bit of guidance for me.

I guess what I'm saying is I can teach myself to mimick a solo but I don't have the capability to COME UP with a solo. The other thing is, is there a hard and fast rule that within a band (and I know this is a stupid question, but I have to ask it anyway) one guitar player has to be the lead and the other the rhythm? or do some bands trade off?

reason I ask is because some songs I'd like to play the lead and others I'd like to play rhythm. i guess I'm guilty of wanting to cherry pick.

Finally, how many total keys are there? I know about the major keys but is there a such key as B flat minor? where does that fall in?

after this, I would like to come up with a song list, run it by some people here, then start working on it little by little. I already know a few songs like "I Feel Fine" and "Get off my Cloud" and Clapton's version of "I'm Tore Down" but I want to improve and start getting into alternate tunings like what Keith Richards used and Humble Pie for "30 Days in the Hole" and the like.

Oh, and how many songs does a typical show have and how many sets and how many songs in a set? I want to start putting this together. I just moved to Chicago and I really want to start jamming here.

GP Island
#2453817 - 12/03/12 10:02 PM Re: Feel free to ask Myles [Re: Ramiro]
Jim Quinn Administrator Offline
Senior Administrator
Platinum Member

Ramiro,
This thread is designated for discussions related to amp topics. The questions in your post are more appropriate as a new topic in our GP forums. It looks like you initially started a new topic in the correct place, but might have misunderstood feedback from forum members: Thread Reference.
The Thread Reference is where you should have posted these questions.
BTW: Welcome to our forums!

#2453848 - 12/04/12 05:00 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles [Re: Jim Quinn]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Moved to the correct location.
My Pics

#2453854 - 12/04/12 05:15 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles [Re: Jim Quinn]
Ramiro Offline

ah...I lost the thread. I will copy and paste it over there.

#2453945 - 12/04/12 11:09 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles [Re: Jim Quinn]
myles_rose Moderator Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles CA, UNITED STATES
Thanks for moving this

#2454121 - 12/05/12 07:15 AM Re: Feel free to ask Myles [Re: myles_rose]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

First, i think that you need a 'larger vocabulary'. Second, do you have something to say? So few guitar players have anything to say, even those with huge vocabularies, that they just re-hash licks that they've learned from records. So learn more licks, adapt them, and when you solo in a song, try to think of something appropriate to the song.... as a lead guitar player your opportunity to solo is your chance to make the song 'better' and to add your voice and perspective to the song... though so many think it is just a chance to wave their big d@&ks around at try to show off for the chicks.

As a songwriter I find recycled riffs to diminish the song, not to help make it better or more memorable. As a producer I won't allow them on my records, which is why I say you need a bigger vocabulary from which to be able express yourself. It is valuable to learn the classic riffs, but more as a tool to learn how to create riffs of your own.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose