Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2453794 - 12/03/12 07:28 PM Puzzling Pedal Choice
Brandon S Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello everybody. I am looking to ask for another pedal this christmas but I am not sure which one to ask for. I know pedals that I want to get, but I am not sure which pedal is in my best interest to get.
My current build is a MXR M173 classic 108 fuzz, a dunlop crybaby classic, a Big Muff Germanium (which has an okayish overdrive) and a VFE enterprise phaser.

So to the question, I am not sure if I should get a delay,chorus, overdrive or something im not even thinking about for my next pedal.
In terms of chorus pedals I am looking at the MXR Analog delay . It has a nice price and the demos made it sound pretty nice.

The delay i was looking at was the previously spoken of MXR Carbon Copy . It too has a relatively nice price and the demos made it sound pretty nice. The big problem really is that I'm not sure what the differences are between phasers, delays and choruses. I see their similarities but not so much what makes them different.

Lastly, I was looking at the VFE The Scream. It sounds very nice, has many options, but is pushing the budget a little bit. I already have two distortions so I wasn't sure if I would be overdoing that area of sound by neglecting delay/chorus/other stuff.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Important Note: I like classic rock, hard rock, psychadelic and soft rock the most. Not a huge fan of jazz, country or prog rock.

GP Island
#2453813 - 12/03/12 09:52 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Brandon S]
zumabebop Offline

Loc: malibu, ca
recommends you check out Juan Alderete's site "pedalsandeffects.com" for some real musician reviews...

#2453823 - 12/03/12 10:23 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: zumabebop]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
You'll have a lot of fun with an echo/delay pedal, certainly a lot more fun than with a chorus pedal. The Carbon Copy IS very nicely priced, and I'm sure you can find even nicer prices on used specimens. A delay-pedal that offers tap-tempo and/or looping would be even more fun for you, and even serve as a practice and composition aid.

If you want to get some different distortion and fuzz textures, get a crazy octave-fuzz and use it along with your current fuzz and overdrive/distortion pedals; I'd suggest either a Foxrox Octron (I have one and love LOVE love it; mixable/blendable octave-up AND octave-down fuzz, with a blendable "direct" signal, as well cool ) or a Dunlop "Jimi Hendrix" Octavio (I've tried one and I'd love to have one- and the price is not too bad). Either will net you BUCKETS of classic, hard and psychedelic colors, particularly the Octron. Run either one of those into your Big Muff Germanium or your MXR M173 Classic 108 Fuzz and play with your guitar's volume and tone controls to find cool interactive sweet-spots, particularly with the neck-pickup. Again, seek out good deals on used examples.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2453829 - 12/04/12 12:34 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Just as a FYI, Red Witch has decided to try to revolutionize the tiny pedal market.

The Seven Sisters are tiny, focused pedals that do a job and do it well. They have rechargeable lithium ion batteries- AFAIK, an industry first- and are priced under $100. Here's an example of the Violet delay pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFT7aunZj1g&sns=em

I gotta say, if I were just starting my pedal collection, they'd be major contenders for inclusion.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/04/12 12:37 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2453836 - 12/04/12 02:30 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
I second the FoxRox for the Vibe and Gene pool you're swimming in.

However, I don't see any time effects on your lineup list. So, depth might be something you are missing on the color wheel.

See, I have these debates with myself all the time. That's why I just get them all in multi-boxes. Yes, it's a trade off...

Pick two relatives and divide and concur!?!?!?

#2453896 - 12/04/12 07:42 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Terrell]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Hi, Brandon

Your first link took me to an MXR Analog Chorus - was that what you meant for us to look over? If you're looking at an MXR Chorus box, I'd recommend the big yellow one - give me a second here - here you go - MXR Stereo Chorus It's also analog.

Given that you like the psychedelic sound, and you already have the Fuzz/Phaser sound covered, I agree with Terrell that you should look into some Time effects. That MXR Carbon Copy is a great analog delay pedal, nice small footprint, with a long delay time - you can also use Delay to get warm, reverb-like washes of echoes. Think Animals-era Pink Floyd. Spend five minutes with one at your local music store, and I'm pretty sure it will sell itself.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2453899 - 12/04/12 07:48 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Terrell]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Terrell- Hahhaahhahhaahhaahh! Excellent post no matter how ya slice it. thu cool

Dannyalcatraz- speaking of revolutionizing tiny pedals (and I dig Red Witch pedals in general), the TC Electronic Flashback Delay (also a 40 second looper- !) allows you to download custom program settings by holding your "smartphone" over your guitar's pickup... !! You can also do the same by connecting the pedal to your computer via a USB cable; but, c'mon, beaming-in cool programs through the guitar's pickup?! How über-cool is THAT?! freak cool

Brandon S, THIS pedal will give you MONTHS of fun, discovery, and inspiration, and it so totally trumps the Carbon Copy, even for the marginal increase in price- it's one hundred times the pedal, and TC Electronics products are ALL of STELLAR tone and build quality...

Killer deal alert:

Musician's Friend currently has the TC Electronic Flashback Delay on sale for $152.10 with free shipping

________

________

#2453981 - 12/04/12 02:06 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Brandon S Offline

Thanks for all the input guys.
I liked the seven sisters violet, but from what I saw it did not have as many options as the MXR carbon copy, and I am looking for flexibility. Thanks for showing the company though, I will have to keep my eye on Red Witch.

Thanks Caevan for the octave idea. I hadn't thought about getting one and when I listened to some demos again I remembered why they are so nice. That extra note does wonders and I can use the octave with either of my distortions, the overdrive and maybe even the phaser, which is something that isn't as true with delay/chorus/echo pedals.. So I looked at the Hendrix octavio, but it sounds like more of a hendrix cover band pedal than a I want to screw around with this and come up with something at least not derived directly from hendrix pedal. The Foxrox was easy to rule out because it was too expensive.( frown ) But, I looked through some pedals and found this .

The Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave plus. Good price, good sound, and simple to use. The claimed power problem worries me a bit, but I have direct power so it shouldn't affect it.
Demo

It seems to track well and the fuzz isn't too overwhelming. Is there something I could be missing that makes this pedal cheaper and possibly inferior to the Octavio and the Foxrox?

Lastly, thanks for the TC Electronic Flashback delay notice. That is definitely a contender with the Mod Tone Deep Dive.

#2453994 - 12/04/12 03:36 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Brandon S]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've heard good things about Modtone pedals, but don't have any experience with them.

#2454051 - 12/04/12 07:39 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Brandon S]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Brandon S
...I can use the octave with either of my distortions, the overdrive and maybe even the phaser, which is something that isn't as true with delay/chorus/echo pedals...

O0O0Ooh, I love using my Octron with a Plexitube distortion and a phaser (AND echo and reverb); one of my favorite combinations!

However, echo/delay should be fine, even great, with your overdrive, distortion, and phaser pedals. I'd put the phaser in front of the overdrive and distortion pedals, followed by any echo/delay and/or reverb; though YMMV, you might want to try the phaser after the OD/dist- you might prefer the politer, smoother sound.

So I looked at the Hendrix octavio, but it sounds like more of a hendrix cover band pedal than a I want to screw around with this and come up with something at least not derived directly from hendrix pedal.

Some various Octavia/Octavio and fOXX tONE mACHINE style octave-fuzz examples that aren't necessarily Hendrix cover stylees:

______

______

______

You don't have to play like Hendrix or use an Octavia/Octavio style octave-fuzz the way Hendrix did; use the bridge-pickup instead of the neck, play wide-interval double-stops through one, use it for a different sort of fuzz and/or ring-modulator sounds... Like almost any gear, it's only as limited as your imagination, approach and technique.

...I looked through some pedals and found this .

The Mod Tone Deep Dive Octave plus. Good price, good sound, and simple to use.

It seems to track well and the fuzz isn't too overwhelming. Is there something I could be missing that makes this pedal cheaper and possibly inferior to the Octavio and the Foxrox?

Looks and sounds like a cool pedal in the couple of demo-vids that I perused, if a fairly straight-up, not-all-that-fuzzy octave-down kinda sound is what you want.

Lastly, thanks for the TC Electronic Flashback delay notice. That is definitely a contender with the Mod Tone Deep Dive.

Bear in mind that the Flashback does a LOT of different echo/delay sounds and effects, AND it's also a forty second looper- you can, for example, lay down up to forty seconds of playing, such as chordal rhythm and fills and bass-lines, maybe throw in some rhythmic percussive string-sounds to stand in for drums, and then play leads over it all you want as it all repeats like a backing-track...

#2454056 - 12/04/12 08:32 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Dannyalcatraz- speaking of revolutionizing tiny pedals (and I dig Red Witch pedals in general), the TC Electronic Flashback Delay (also a 40 second looper- !) allows you to download custom program settings by holding your "smartphone" over your guitar's pickup... !! You can also do the same by connecting the pedal to your computer via a USB cable; but, c'mon, beaming-in cool programs through the guitar's pickup?! How über-cool is THAT?!

That IS cool! (Kinda reminds me of the DigiTech iStomp.)

Does it work with other mobile devices, like iPod Touches or tablets? I ask, because I'm probably ditching my smartphone.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (12/04/12 08:34 PM)

#2454058 - 12/04/12 09:00 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Quote:
Dannyalcatraz- speaking of revolutionizing tiny pedals (and I dig Red Witch pedals in general), the TC Electronic Flashback Delay (also a 40 second looper- !) allows you to download custom program settings by holding your "smartphone" over your guitar's pickup... !! You can also do the same by connecting the pedal to your computer via a USB cable; but, c'mon, beaming-in cool programs through the guitar's pickup?! How über-cool is THAT?!

That IS cool! (Kinda reminds me of the DigiTech iStomp.)

Does it work with other mobile devices, like iPod Touches or tablets? I ask, because I'm probably ditching my smartphone.

Hmmn, Idunno off the top of my head; if their (TC's) app is applicable for a given device, I imagine it would work on it... Scope out this vid and go to TC's 'site...

TC Electronic Flashback Delay

________

#2454101 - 12/05/12 06:24 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Alright, Caevan, I'll see your Flashback Delay, and raise you . . .

Probably not as versatile as the Flashback, but if you want that watery, warbly Pink Floyd sound . . .

#2454116 - 12/05/12 07:09 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Winston Psmith]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

That TC unit is off the hook. Too bad it's on the floor! My back would be killing me changing it all the time...

#2454291 - 12/05/12 12:16 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Terrell]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: WinstonPsmith

(Catalinbread Echorec)

Probably not as versatile as the Flashback, but if you want that watery, warbly Pink Floyd sound . . .

Nice! cool Along with the Flashback and the Strymon El Capistan, these are some of the very few digital echo/delays that I'd be very interested in...

Originally Posted By: Terrell
That TC unit is off the hook. Too bad it's on the floor! My back would be killing me changing it all the time...

You could always mount it on a stand or somethin', or even off a bracket on your guitar...

#2454361 - 12/05/12 04:24 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Winston Psmith]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: On Canada

And I'll call on your catalinbread and boost Caev's flashback to...

#2454367 - 12/05/12 04:39 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: stamplicker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

In this case, I think everybody wins . . .

#2454374 - 12/05/12 05:09 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Cool pedals, but the budget keeps escalating...

#2454380 - 12/05/12 05:32 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sure, bring budget into it.... wink

#2454385 - 12/05/12 06:13 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: stamplicker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: stamplicker
Sure, bring budget into it.... wink

Poor Brandon... freak laugh We must be drivin' him nuts with all the more and more expensive, highfalutin pedalry...

Note that many of these pedals are ones that some of us WANT, but DO NOT OWN (though some of us have tried some of them)...

Maybe price has something to do with that? thu grin

#2454389 - 12/05/12 06:29 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: stamplicker]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

THAT's more like it!!!! Yowza!

#2454404 - 12/05/12 07:25 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Terrell]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, bang for buck, he'd be able to knock a few off his checklist with the Flashback X4, ($200 - $249) depending where you look and what discounts you might be able aquire. Echorec is going to run around the same price and the plain flashback around $150.

MXR Carbon Copy around $150
MXR Analog Delay around $375
VFE The Scream around $150

So I think we're all in the right ball park budget wise =)

#2454408 - 12/05/12 07:29 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: stamplicker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: stamplicker
Well, bang for buck, he'd be able to knock a few off his checklist with the Flashback X4, ($200 - $249) depending where you look and what discounts you might be able aquire. Echorec is going to run around the same price and the plain flashback around $150.

MXR Carbon Copy around $150
MXR Analog Delay around $375
VFE The Scream around $150

So I think we're all in the right ball park budget wise =)

Good points, though I think that better deals can be found for some of those, particularly the Carbon Copy; but I digress...

#2454410 - 12/05/12 07:39 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I got a Carl Martin Red Repeat the other day for $50. Have only played it through my little VOX AC4TV, but it seems to do wonderful things for tone!!

#2454484 - 12/06/12 06:28 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

I'm just wondering how we got to $375 for an MXR Analog Delay? Is that what the big old green ones are going for on ebay now? The link from the OP took me to a page featuring the new, blue MXR Analog Chorus, running around $89. I don't think the OP meant the vintage box . . .

#2454489 - 12/06/12 06:38 AM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Winston Psmith]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm just wondering how we got to $375 for an MXR Analog Delay? Is that what the big old green ones are going for on ebay now? The link from the OP took me to a page featuring the new, blue MXR Analog Chorus, running around $89. I don't think the OP meant the vintage box . . .

Yup your correct, my bad... I was thinking it was the big green one.

#2454693 - 12/06/12 05:21 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: stamplicker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

blah facepalm

Brandon... ! BRRRAAAAANNDOOOOOONNN... !! freak

wink thu grin wave

#2454712 - 12/06/12 07:20 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Brandon S Offline

Yah sorry about the missed day post, I opened it up, read everything and then forgot to post. I would like to thank everyone for their recommendations, but I agree the price thing got a little out of hand (lol). I am mainly looking for a 80-130 dollar pedal and im still not sure what I want. The scream looks amazing, but it's 170. The MXR Carbon Copy is very within the price range, but I am not sure of how much I want it (haven't exactly figured out what "element" it will bring to the table). And the Mod tone octavizer seems like an okay deal, but I really wasn't feeling it.

On the unconventional side I did find a rather interesting combo. My pedal demo god, gearmanndude, demoed a MXR Bass Octave Deluxe with a guitar, and I can't help but smile and enjoy the sound when I listen to it. It tracks well, is a nice price (120) and still adds that octavey goodness.

Also, just to add some more variables into the mix, are there any affordable, analog, non distortion/phaser/wah pedals that anybody recommends? Can't help but think the pedal world is big enough that I am missing a couple types of pedals in my melting bot of a setup.

Edited by Brandon S (12/06/12 07:29 PM)

#2454722 - 12/06/12 08:41 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Brandon S]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

You've got nothin' to apologize for, Brandon, I was just kiddin' around about our having driven you off with all the pricier and pricier pedal suggestions, that's all. grin

#2454963 - 12/07/12 06:35 PM Re: Puzzling Pedal Choice [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Brandon S Offline

Well that's good to hear, I didn't want to offend those that are helping me.

Also holy Sh**. I think I may have found something that beats the VFE scream by a lot. It sounds very beautiful to me, what do you guys think?

Option 5 Destination Overdrive II
Demo

Edited by Brandon S (12/07/12 06:43 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose