Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2452961 - 11/29/12 02:59 PM Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos
marneyzj Offline

Saw this video today. It is unbelievable. Steve Vai joins 2Cellos and plays an incredible cover of "Highway to Hell". It's so crazy how the guys playing cellos can make them sound like a guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQ-QycaBmQ&feature=plcp

GP Island
#2452977 - 11/29/12 04:43 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: marneyzj]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: marneyzj
It's so crazy how the guys playing cellos can make them sound like a guitar!

Bowed strings take really well to guitar processing. It's a large part of how I've made my living for the last 20 years.

#2452978 - 11/29/12 04:49 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: marneyzj]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wasn't really so taken with that cut, but I played several others from those two cellists, and I dig their pop renditions more than the metal stuff. Cool, and thanks for passing that along.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2452989 - 11/29/12 05:26 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
MP Hall of Fame Member

And if you like heavy metal cello, look up Apocalyptica.

#2453006 - 11/29/12 07:12 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill@Welcome Home Studios
...I dig their pop renditions more than the metal stuff.

So when did AC/DC become "metal"? confused
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2453009 - 11/29/12 07:23 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Scott Fraser]
russclan Online   sleepy

Meh. Doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, these guys are obviously top-notch cellists, but it just came across as a novelty.
Frayed bows, banging their heads...they just didn't sell it, and to me, looked kinda foolish. Can't be hard-core sporting 90210 looks and attempting to channel Angus Young. Do they write their own material? I'm gonna google them.

If they've got their own stuff, I bet it'll be awesome, but I'll pass on this.

#2453011 - 11/29/12 07:30 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Scott Fraser]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

I like what they play, but I hate their recordings. Very unpleasant to listen to, because of the 'metal' approach to the recording. I also like Cellofourte.

Steve Martin

#2453012 - 11/29/12 07:32 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Griffinator]
MP Hall of Fame Member

alright, bust my balls. The heavier side of their catalog, then.

Edited by Bill@Welcome Home Studios (11/29/12 07:32 PM)

Steve Martin

#2453023 - 11/29/12 08:38 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

I like what they play, but I hate their recordings. Very unpleasant to listen to, because of the 'metal' approach to the recording.

It's shtick, very much a one joke routine.

#2453147 - 11/30/12 12:32 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Scott Fraser]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I liked the video. Of course it was shtick, but it was amusing and I like the sounds they were all getting. Fun. No big deal, but fun.....

#2453194 - 11/30/12 04:01 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: desertbluesman]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
It's like a lip-sync right ?

Didn't watch the whole thing but obviously not those two cello guys playing live, may even be guitars plus effects rather than what it appears to be.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2453196 - 11/30/12 04:08 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bartholomew]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I kinda felt sorry for Steve when the crowd walked out on him and he's just left standing there, and he's like what da fbomb? It was kind of cute and a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

#2453197 - 11/30/12 04:29 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
...a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

you mean two Croatian kids.

Steve Martin

#2453198 - 11/30/12 04:30 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bartholomew]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew

Yes, but Sulic and Hauser have live videos on youtube. fun stuff.

Steve Martin

#2453201 - 11/30/12 06:17 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

...a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

you mean two Croatian kids.

Should have said all-American [looking] kids...I mean you don't think about Croatians jamming at your local GC all that often. I didn't know their history and had not heard of them before, but they looked and sounded pretty darn talented at what they do. I knew who Steve Vai is/was, but I probably would have walked right by him without that sign telling me it was really him (till he picked up the guitar that is).

#2453319 - 12/01/12 11:09 AM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Bartholomew]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
Didn't watch the whole thing but obviously not those two cello guys playing live, may even be guitars plus effects rather than what it appears to be.

Like 99.999% of music videos, they are not playing live, simply miming along to their recorded performance. But it's most definitely 2 electric celli.

#2453336 - 12/01/12 12:33 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I kinda felt sorry for Steve when the crowd walked out on him and he's just left standing there, and he's like what da fbomb? It was kind of cute and a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

It was obvious schtick, and I bet Vai was behind the whole thing, making fun of his fame, and pretending to be egotistical, and then insulted. Vai is a great player no matter what we think of his image. I bet he had his own sound guy there to do the probably programmed drums and whatever other recorded tracks were involved.

My advice is don't believe anything you see on You Tube as factual, much of it is scripted. And that one was obviously (to me) scripted. Plus the recording was done on pro gear (probably Pro Tools HD sounds like to me), probably not in GC at the time. Schtick amigos. But it was fun to watch, and fun to see Vai has a little sense of humor of himself and his fame.

#2453340 - 12/01/12 12:59 PM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was only pretending it was real. Kinda like an old Elvis movie or in the Blues Brothers when they walk in to Ray's music store. Not a real fan of Vai, but +1 on him being a great player!

#2453839 - 12/04/12 03:00 AM Re: Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos [Re: Larryz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
How can he be so good and so pretentious at the same time?

Zappa thing?

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose