Next Thread
Print Thread
Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day #2452599 11/28/12 09:15 AM
BenLoy Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey all,

Long time no speak--I've been out of action for a while but have been lurking here every now and then.

Anyone pick up the new Led Zeppelin reunion concert DVD/Blu-Ray yet (Celebration Day)? I'm only about halfway through it, but so far it's pretty darn cool--"In My Time of Dying" was particularly rockin'.

Jason Bonham fills his father's shoes admirably. Page still sounds great. Plant's aging voice required the band to tune down a whole step, sadly, but he still nails the attitude.

JPJ shows practically no signs of age, much like this iconic riff he wrote:

All in all I think the Led Zep DVD released a few years ago does a better job of capturing what they were like as a live band at their prime, but I was impressed with how much they still bring the rock.

Too bad Plant wasn't interested in doing a reunion tour...

BP Island
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: BenLoy] #2452601 11/28/12 09:28 AM
Richard W Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The performances on the "How the West Was Won" DVD are jaw-dropping. I actually like that Plant sings a step down on this one. You hear Paul McCartney try to hit those high notes these days and it just sounds bad.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: Richard W] #2452604 11/28/12 09:44 AM
B
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
B
I might have to check this DVD out, they definitely still have the energy.

As for reunion tours, meh. Looking at the prices charged for a lot of reunion tours, and then what you'll probably pay a scalper, that's my music budget for the next two years.

I did notice that JPJ is using a pick, as he often does, thereby disproving the adage the "real bass players use their fingers".

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: BenLoy] #2452606 11/28/12 09:54 AM
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: BenLoy
Hey all,

Plant's aging voice required the band to tune down a whole step, sadly, but he still nails the attitude.

First thing I noticed when I heard some of the recordings on the radio last week.

I noticed Geddy Lee's vocals sound labored on Rush's latest live CD set too.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: Bottom End] #2452619 11/28/12 12:23 PM
rumpelstiltskin. Offline
spinning gold from straw
MP Hall of Fame Member
spinning gold from straw
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Bottom End
I did notice that JPJ is using a pick, as he often does, thereby disproving the adage the "real bass players use their fingers".

he's using his fingers to hold the pick. idea

Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: rumpelstiltskin.] #2452713 11/28/12 06:43 PM
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm looking forward to checking this out at some point. Life has just been a little bit busy of late.

I was definitely aware that the band had to lower the keys of some of the songs. A friend of mine gave me a bootleg of the show and when I heard that I was startled at just how much they had tuned down. I get that time is relentless, and any singers voice is going to change some 40 years on. But to hear it when you have a reasonably good sense of pitch will still make you do a double take.

So, did anyone actually see this in the theater? I know that there were a limited number of screenings of this in movie theaters.

Obligatory Social Media Link
"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: Nicklab] #2452939 11/29/12 06:25 PM
Davo-London Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
How come Plant's got so much hair?????

It's not fair!

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: Davo-London] #2452976 11/29/12 09:31 PM
b5pilot Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Davo-London
How come Plant's got so much hair?????

It's not fair!

Davo

Yeah. Some guys have all the luck! Nice to hear JPJ is still sounding as good as ever!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.
http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband
Re: Led Zeppelin -- Celebration Day [Re: b5pilot] #2453236 12/01/12 06:41 AM
Z
ZZ Thorn Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Z
I just won an audition to join a band called "Celebration Day" - I think maybe we should change the name cuz of this DVD.

Celebration Day Music

Like us on facebook even if you don't

Chick-ed, picked bass on these songs. I'll be re-recording these tracks next month. Pretty cool situation - they have a producer who likes them so unlimited studio and production time.

All originals, but they're good originals!