Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2452785 - 11/28/12 10:30 PM Stuck in a Rut.
_LittleBuster_ Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Well guys, I am in a rut. I dont really know what to do.
First I will start with I have never taken any lessons, I am completely self taught.
I know my basic chords and a few scales, and I have even taken a Music theory class when I was in school.
I wouldnt call myself a novice, maybe one step up from there.
Basically I dont know how to make my own music. Is there some guide to what sounds relatively good together or do I need to just keep playing with until I find my own sound?
I havent played with many people, considering I dont really know how. For example, I was playing with my cousins band, nothing serious, While they were jammin away on their respective instruments I just kinda stood there. I didnt know where to go or even what to do. I felt like an idiot.
I dont have a problem with playing, I can generally play most of the songs I have tried to learn(through Tabs).

I just feel like I am missing something. All the things I have learned arent meshing together or something.

Can anyone give me some advice on how they took their guitar playing to the next level?

GP Island
#2452792 - 11/28/12 11:57 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
We have a lot in common. While I have some formal training, it is almost all on another insturment, not guitar.

How I found myself on guitar...well, its an ongoing process. Personally, I started by learning songs I liked- and some I didn't- by others.

Then I found a tuning that unlocked my past education- something that probably doesn't apply to you- which increased my comfort and practice time.

From then on, in that tuning and in Standard, I just kept playing. Playing things that popped into my head, things that I stumbled upon. And all that practice has refined and developed my style.

And even so, I still don't play well with others. Which is why I joined a guitar circle. It's not quite like being in a band, but it serves the same purpose in this sense. Right now, I follow the others; at some point, I may lead.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2452810 - 11/29/12 05:44 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hi,

I think that the best advice I can offer is to recommend that you take a year of private lessons with a qualified teacher who plays/teaches the kind of music you want to play. I really believe that there is no substitute for a strong foundation. It is possible to teach yourself incorrectly and to acquire bad habits that will impede your progress later.

Take some lessons, my friend!

Good Luck smile

#2452811 - 11/29/12 05:46 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
If you have the cash for lessons I highly recommend starting there. At a minimum it will get you accustomed to playing with another person.

#2452825 - 11/29/12 06:19 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: LeftyBlues]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Welcome to the forum, LB. I agree lessons with a good teacher can open new ideas and also playing with others. Watching live music you love can be inspiring, too!

Danny, what is a guitar circle?

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2452827 - 11/29/12 06:22 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: LeftyBlues]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Lessons are a great idea, if you can afford them. If not, then the alternative is to learn songs. Lots of them.

Start out by buying a tab book of your favourite band. One of the ones that has the little chord diagrams with the chord name, above each section of music. When I was starting out, I had a tablature book of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I learned every song in there. The best part is, they will occasionally throw in chords you don't know. So, you will be playing along and all of a sudden be forced to learn a new chord.

The more you play, the more your brain will become familiar with the sounds of each chord. Then, you will find yourself putting chords together and making interesting arrangements. As with everything in the music field, it's all about the practice!

Of course, don't be afraid to come by here often for help and advice. There is always someone here who can help!
My Pics

#2452831 - 11/29/12 06:44 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: harvey]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: harvey

Danny, what is a guitar circle?

I realize that your question was directed to Danny, but I just wanted to put my two cents in. I've played in a couple of "guitar circles" and they are really a lot of fun. The circles I've participated in were in a kind of "round robin" format. Each musician in the circle would play his/her own music, solo. You got to experience a lot of different styles, genres and technique. Fun!

#2452847 - 11/29/12 07:48 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
_LittleBuster_ Offline

I will start pricing some lessons that are given around here. There aren't many local music shops in my area anymore. Hopefully I can find someone to teach me.
I will never give up on guitar again.

My style has changed drastically. I am gonna be buying my first tube amp next week. I'm pretty stoked. I'm getting the Vox Ac4tv.

#2452849 - 11/29/12 07:50 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Pretty much what we're doing, Fred, except in ours, instead of just playing solo, you try to teach the basics of what you're playing to the others. It's way cool- as more players "get it", the bigger the sound gets!

#2452850 - 11/29/12 07:52 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You might also check your local community college- guitar lessons are pretty common on those campuses.

#2452867 - 11/29/12 08:27 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Pretty much what we're doing, Fred, except in ours, instead of just playing solo, you try to teach the basics of what you're playing to the others. It's way cool- as more players "get it", the bigger the sound gets!

Sounds way cool, Danny. cool

#2452876 - 11/29/12 09:07 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I've run across this sort of thing before, even though I don't really understand it.

When I started playing, I seemed to have no trouble coming up with my own stuff. I'm completely a "by ear" player, did take some rudimentary lessons at the "Y" when I was 13, but nothing that really stuck.

But I once met a friend of my ex's, who was a co-worker of hers. She said she was taking guitar lessons, so I offered to bring my axe out so she could show us what she's learning, and she said she couldn't play WITHOUT the sheet music in front of her!! I found that hard to fathom.

I supposed because I learned, as many here had also, different songs from copping them off of records, the concept of chord progression and composition construction somehow instilled itself. I really don't know what else to say.
Whitefang

#2452903 - 11/29/12 11:01 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: whitefang]
_LittleBuster_ Offline

What would be a fair price for lessons?

#2452905 - 11/29/12 11:07 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
As far as getting into songwriting, I suggest you just do it to get your feet wet, without worrying too much whether the songs are GOOD or creative or whatnot. Lennon/McCartney and all the other songwriters had to learn their craft, too!
Actually there are also tons of instructional videos, some of which you can view for free on You Tube - at least enough to know if they're worth purchasing for you.

#2452920 - 11/29/12 11:59 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Eric Iverson]
Admin
10k Club

When I taught at the local music store, I was charging $15 for a half hour lesson. Granted, that was MANY years ago. For private lessons, I was charging $40 per lesson.
My Pics

#2452922 - 11/29/12 12:02 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Eric Iverson]
russclan Offline

I'm going to break from the pack a little here. Lessons are great and all (and can be beneficial no matter what your skill level - Randy Rhoads took classical lessons while he was with Ozzy), but I don't think that's what you need right now...at least not the main thing you need, anyway. You said you already know some chords and scales, and have some basic theory under your belt. So...

1. Go back and jam with those guys again. And again. And again. Assuming you're all in the same tuning, watch what position they're playing in, go to that position, and noodle around with some of the licks you already know. If somebody does something really cool, stop and ask them to show you how they did it. Copy it. When you're back home in your bedroom, play that lick over and over until you can do it without looking at the guitar. Change a couple of notes, rearrange the order of the notes, omit a couple of notes, etc. Of course, this requires you to actually play when you're with these guys. You can't just stand there. Take some chances. Screw up. Play bad notes - you'll learn from it all. More than any instructor can teach you, I guarantee that. Remember that the guys you are playing with were in your shoes once, and assuming they're not a bunch of asshats, they're gonna dig watching you get better.

2. Develop your ear. Try and resist sheet music, whether it's tab, lead sheets, chord charts, whatever. Listen to one of your favorite songs and pick out the melody using single notes (this includes the vocals). When the guitarist hits a chord, listen for the lowest note and start there. Develop the chord one note at a time. Over time it will get easier to pick out individual notes when you hear a chord.

You can open up a song in Windows Media Player and adjust the playback speed for fast or difficult stuff. Get a cheap pocket recorder and carry it with you. When you think of something cool, sing it into the unit, then play it when you get home. This is great for learning to compose. Even if it ends up going nowhere, write it down or save it onto your computer for future use.

The last thing I'd recommend is picking up a low cost audio interface and DAW software (I have and recommend Reaper...great full featured DAW for $60). For a couple hundred bucks, you can have the basics of a home studio and playground for your songwriting.

#2452925 - 11/29/12 12:19 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: russclan]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2452926 - 11/29/12 12:21 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: russclan]
SEHpicker Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Everything russclan said in spades - although lessons are really really good - especially with the right teacher - If you want to be a great guitar player you need to remember 3 main things:

1.Practice a lot
2.Practice some more
3.Repeat steps 1 & 2
rawk

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2452930 - 11/29/12 12:53 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
(Hey, who here (on this Forum) izzitt that lives near or around "the 'Nooga"? I know there was SOMEONE... maybe they might want to get together and jam 'n' such... ?)

Welcome to the GPF, LittleBuster! cool

What would be a few songs that you'd be interested in learning? As Craig and others here have pointed out, learning other's songs and taking lessons will give you a BIG insight into how music is put together.

Here's an EXCELLENT (and FREE!) lessons 'site that I can very highly recommend:

cool Chris Juergensen's Lessons 'page rawk

Tell 'im I sentcha (aka Kevin Miller).

Here's an idea of mine (Caevan O'Shite's) for you to try:

For now, hum or whistle a little melody to yourself, something more or less your own; as you do so, tap your foot for the tempo and underlying beat, noting where you put emphasis and where you hold back a little. The shorter and simpler your first melody is here, the more quickly and easily you can make beneficial progress; start short 'n' sweet, and once you've got the hang of the following, get progressively more and more complex...

One by one, find those notes on the fretboard, on the highest two or three strings, and string 'em together; work on that till you can play the melody on your guitar, still while tapping your foot for time.

When you've gotten that down, while you play that melody, hum a bass-note that goes underneath that melody, one bass-note per melody-note for now, although it's perfectly fine if the same bass-note is held down underneath several melody-notes in a row- in fact, that can be very good.

Next, work out where those bass-notes can be played on the lowest two or three strings; then, work out how you can play the melody-line with the bass-notes underneath simultaneously. Simplicity is fine here, and again, can in fact be very good.

Once you have that down, see if you can figure out what the root for each pair of simultaneous melody and bass notes is; it may often already be the bass-note, or it may not, or it may even be the melody-note. Just try to zero-in on what seems like "home" for each pair. Don't agonize over this, don't sweat it, if it doesn't seem fairly obvious to you, don't worry about it, it's just an exercise and practice for your ear.

After that, whether it worked or not, in whole or in part, now find a note in between each bass-note and melody-note; that is, a third note that can be added simultaneously with the top and bottom notes. If you've arrived at identifying what the root is for a given melody/bass pair, try to find the Major or minor 3rd for that pair; trust your ear more than what you think the "numbers" and "theory" are supposed to be, if it sounds "right", it probably IS "right". The 3rd may already be present as the melody or bass note, as well.

From there, you can go on to work out the 5th of each chord in your developing harmonized melody/bass/etc. piece; this, by the way, is also known as "voice-leading". Finding the 5ths should be simpler than working out the 3rds and other intervals, as they'll usually just be cut-and-dry 5ths, not m, Major, flat, etc.

From there, if you are so inclined, you can identify and add in the 7ths, for four-part harmonized lines. This will be similar to the way that vocal harmonies, horn-section lines, keyboard parts, etc. are put together.

For some examples of melody and bass notes played together, here's an excerpt from a little lesson I tried writing:

You can play sliding 'chord fragment' intervals that skip a string or two to imply (ENFORCE!) harmony, some of which will need to shift one note up or down by a half-step to fit the given key as you motorvate up and down the fretboard with 'em.

For example:

Sliding 6ths (which can imply the 5th and 3rd of a chord, or simply be a melodic-line on top, harmonized by the note underneath)
Code:
  ----------4-------
  -4--5--8-----4----
  ----------4-------
  -5--6--8-----5----
  ------------------
  ------------------

Take a run of "double-stop" 3rds, harmonized accordingly in both minor and Major flavors, ending with a 4th / root-5th-root "power chord"-
Code:
  -13--12--10----------------------------------------------
  -15--13--11---13--11--10---------------------------------
  --------------14--12--10---12--10---9---5--3--2---2-2-2--
  ---------------------------14--12--10---7--5--3---2-2-2--
  ----------------------------------------------------0-0--
  ---------------------------------------------------------

- but then drop the lower-note of each double-stop down one octave, skipping two strings in between-
Code:
  -13--12--10----------------------------------------------
  --------------13--11--10---------------------------------
  ---------------------------12--10---9---5--3--2---2-2-2--
  -12--10---8---------------------------------------2-2-2--
  --------------12--10---8------------------------------0--
  ---------------------------12--10---8---5--3--1-----0-0--

- and you've got sliding 10ths- both m10ths and Maj10ths- which are an interval of an octave plus a m3 or Maj3 from the low-note to the high-note.

These sliding two-note grips sound great either briskly strummed with a down-stroke so that the muted strings "click" rhythmically in between the sounded notes, or plucked with thumb and finger or pick-and-fingers in a syncopated rhythm (like "b'DAT b'dat b'dat, b'DAT b'dat b'dat", and so on), and really jump out and kick with a fat but toothy heavy distortion, maybe with some flanger or phaser action; think early Van Halen rhythm-guitar tone on steroids; try the neck-pickup, too. They absolutely KILL with a Foxrox Octron or Octavia-style octave-fuzz going into a cranked Marshally distortion!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2452934 - 11/29/12 01:06 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: _LittleBuster_
What would be a fair price for lessons?

In my area (Central PA) the averag3e lesson is $20.00 for a half hour. My 2nd Jazz teacher charged $50/hour.

#2452955 - 11/29/12 02:34 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Youtube, Youtube, Youtube...next time you're with the guys, write down the name of the songs, artists & keys they are playing them in. Go on Youtube and play along with the originals and see where you can fit in even if it's just one or two songs to start with. You will often find free lessons showing you how to play those songs which will save you a lot of time trying to figure them out by yourself...next time you show up at the jam you won't just have to stand there...Many of the free lessons on Youtube are there to lead you to the artists' training Websites and DVD's, which are also a great learning tool...

Taking lessons can be a great way to go provided you find someone who teaches what YOU want to learn! Maybe one of your jam buds can even show you a few licks...Have fun with it! and Welcome aboard LittleBuster! thu

#2452988 - 11/29/12 05:21 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Welcome aboard Little Buster! I can say that there are good points to both lessons and digging in on your own. But the thing you are looking for from both is inspiration, and there is no formula for finding that. It takes what it takes to find it, and what trips your trigger may not be the same thing that trips mine, or anyone elses.
If you're interested in my two cents worth, I'd say try the lessons AFTER you try finding inspiration in digging in with your jam buddies and on your own. Not only does it cost less(lessons are around $25-30 a half hour now, from what I've been told), I think you are likely to be able to find it quicker if you look into what YOU want to do on the guitar. With a teacher, you follow his agenda. On you're own, you set the agenda for yourself, so you can focus on what you like and want to be able to do. Lessons are only as good as the time you put in on internalizing them. Teachers can't make you interested in the material the present you with. If you can't find inspiration on your own, then spend the money on a teacher, and see what he/she/it can do for you.
Whatever choice you make, I'd advise you to get 'er done, dude. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find, or that's how it works with me, anyway.
Once again, welcome aboard, and hang around. The dudes here are good people, and know a lot.

#2453024 - 11/29/12 08:41 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: picker]
_LittleBuster_ Offline

I am overwhelmed with all the advice and support.
To be honest I wasnt expecting this at all. Im gonna poke around on the site Caevan suggested(as well as here) and see where it goes. If I still have some trouble I am gonna try getting a teacher. I will get this and nothing can stop me.

#2453026 - 11/29/12 09:02 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Go, Speed Racer, GO!

#2453030 - 11/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I always loved songs... playing the guitar and singing songs I loved was fun. In the course of doing that (I had prior training on trumpet) I learned to play pretty well, and developed a good ear and sense of music theory, and mentally break down the arrangements. Trumpet gave me leg up on scales, and that let me pick out solos by ear... chords were a challenge at first once it gelled it came easy... I would sit with the radio and play along. The first time I touched a bass I just knew what the bass lines were to the songs we were jamming on (and in the course of trying to show them to the other guy got McCartney'd and put on bass instead).

But that's it... music to me is songs, and I'm addicted to them. If they have great guitar then all the better, but that's not my focus.

And you just have to keep at coming up with your own stuff until it gets good. Music is a language, and when you can speak it fluently you start thinking and dreaming in it.

#2453061 - 11/30/12 06:30 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: p90jr]
Admin
10k Club

Also, don't forget to check out our Theory Thread, stickied at the top of the main, Guitar Forum, page:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads..._Tr#Post1582022
My Pics

#2453091 - 11/30/12 08:32 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
To be honest I wasnt expecting this at all. Im gonna poke around on the site Caevan suggested(as well as here) and see where it goes. If I still have some trouble I am gonna try getting a teacher. I will get this and nothing can stop me.

Keep us posted!

Hey, we like to talk about guitars, amps, pedals, gear in general, too, don't be a stranger... wink grin thu

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2453095 - 11/30/12 08:41 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Remember to enjoy the journey for the journey's sake. The road goes on forever, so take the time to enjoy the scenery, sniff the flowers, pet the dogs, and speak to people you meet along the way. Next year (2013) I will have been playing for 50 (!) years and I am still learning. It really is a beautiful and expressive instrument. smile

#2453097 - 11/30/12 08:46 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
Whenever I get into one of those ruts I get a new and completely different guitar from what I was playing.. I just bought 3 new ones if that tells you anything.

#2453157 - 11/30/12 01:19 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Minte]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
These are all great ideas!

I like the guitar circle ideas Fred and Danny.

smile

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose