Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2453176 - 11/30/12 02:05 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
p90junior Offline

Originally Posted By: Fred_C
Originally Posted By: _LittleBuster_
I am overwhelmed with all the advice and support.
To be honest I wasnt expecting this at all. Im gonna poke around on the site Caevan suggested(as well as here) and see where it goes. If I still have some trouble I am gonna try getting a teacher. I will get this and nothing can stop me.

Remember to enjoy the journey for the journey's sake. The road goes on forever, so take the time to enjoy the scenery, sniff the flowers, pet the dogs, and speak to people you meet along the way. Next year (2013) I will have been playing for 50 (!) years and I am still learning. It really is a beautiful and expressive instrument. smile

It really is the best instrument (if I may say so with bias). Portable, polyphonic, fingers directly on strings...

GP Island
#2453199 - 11/30/12 04:50 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: _LittleBuster_
Well guys, I am in a rut. I dont really know what to do.
First I will start with I have never taken any lessons, I am completely self taught.
I know my basic chords and a few scales, and I have even taken a Music theory class when I was in school.
I wouldnt call myself a novice, maybe one step up from there.
Basically I don't know how to make my own music. ...

I started out as an art major. One of my painting teachers said, "School? You don't need to be in school, you need to get a garret and paint!"

Stephen King, when asked, "How do you become a writer?" replied, "You don't 'become' a writer, you write because you have to write. You don't have any choice."

The point to both of these quotes is that if you have something to say, you need to start saying it in your chosen medium.

I agree with this to a great extent. If you don't feel the burning need to play your guitar all the time, maybe you're just a hobbyist who can enjoy what he does, and be satisfied with that.

However, maybe you just haven't found your inspiration. Look around. And sometimes, maybe some people need someone to teach them. But this I can tell you... when it comes to writing my own music, I started doing it when I was 14 or 15, and I did it because it was coming out of me and I needed to let it out. My partner in our band asked me if we were 'allowed' to do that, or some similar question, and I said that if those guys making records could, why couldn't we? He was blown away by the idea, but we wrote several cool songs together, incorporated them into our sets and learned tons from audience reaction. What it comes down to is that you have to have something to say.

When it comes to jamming, for many years I was standing right beside you doing nothing also, because my method of expression was not lead guitar. It was in putting together chords and words. In my opinion, there are more bad lead guitar players than there are bad songwriters, because so few lead players do anything other than recycle the same tired old licks they learned off of records. Which is what a lot of bad songwriters do, too. So if jamming isn't your thing I would not worry about it too much.

I used the act of learning other peoples songs as a way to learn many chords and voicings so that I had a bigger vocabulary when I was writing my own. It is a lot easier to learn that way than to sit with a chord book and work your way through the various chords.

There is a guy named Pat Patison who teaches lyric writing at Berklee. He has a set of course books, but he also has a single book that is worth getting. He teaches you how to speak in your own voice... a key component to writing compelling songs.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2453217 - 11/30/12 08:43 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: harvey]
_LittleBuster_ Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Well when it comes to gear, atm I play on a dean Vendetta 3.0 and I am not a big fan of its sound anymore. I got the guitar when I was 15 and my music tastes have changed a lot since then. Next week I'm going to be buying my first tube amp. A Vox AC4tv(as well as a boss blues driver effect pedal.). and around tax return time I'm gonna purchase a new guitar.
I have been looking at a Fender Mustang. I listened to a few demos and I love the sound. I also enjoy the Gibson Flying V. Granted I haven't actually played either of those guitars. Playing them will decide what I'll do.

#2453233 - 11/30/12 11:48 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Dean Vendettas are not bad starter guitars, but that is what they are.

When you get around to it, tell us your budget, and we'll help you even more! (Nothing like helping other people spend money!)

I can't speak to the Mustang in particular, but I will say this: while Fender makes a great product, I have never found one that felt good in MY hands. And, while I love the look of them, I never felt comfy with a V,

But that's me.

You might strap on that V and feel like someone just reattached a body part you didn't know had been missing.

What am I yammering about? There are literally hundreds if not thousands of different guitar makers you can find with ease, so be patient when looking. Do try all kinds of guitars. Don't settle for something that is the best you can find locally if it still doesn't feel right.*

* my guitar collection is in double digits, and only 2 of them were bought in store- all the rest were ordered by phone or Internet.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2453272 - 12/01/12 07:43 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
That's a good idea. Many music stores, even the small "Mom & Pop" places, will allow even those not really interested in buying come in and check stuff out. You could get the "feel" for whatever instrument you're looking at obtaining to see if it's a "fit", and make the purchase elsewhere for a better price.
Whitefang

#2453841 - 12/04/12 03:15 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: harvey]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
After playing for 38 years, I've gone through many "ruts". Some were cause by distractions (kids, women, humanity, etc.), others by over focus (becoming myopic or clinical and not letting the creativity breath).

First thing I do is put the instrument down and think about where I want to go next. Then I think about what I need to do to ENJOY getting there. Like Fred said, it IS about the journey.

Sometimes that's lessons. Like when I decided I wanted to learn some chicken picking stuff. I just wanted to pay a guy to show me some stuff. Subtle tricks of the trade and slight of hand just don't come through on paper or video.

Sometimes that transcribing classical piece from sheet music. While usually a headache in the middle, the feeling of accomplishment when you reach 8 bars is really cool and inspiring for me.

Sometimes it's just stepping away for a little while. Returning to playing reawakens the inner spirit and joy of play.

Sometimes it's GAS! Acquisition of a new guitar toy can really change your perspective and provide inspiration.

There are many more "sometimes" - Like joining a fusion group, sitting in on a Jazz date, or playing a Funk gig or dating a new girl with higher bosoms and lower standards.

The moral of the story is that these "ruts" are usually forks in the road where you choose the next leg of your journey. Don't be afraid to choose wrong. You'll know to turn around quickly or fork again if it's not right.

#2453859 - 12/04/12 05:40 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Terrell]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hey Terrell,

Well written! +1.

Regards.

#2453874 - 12/04/12 06:43 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Bill@Welcome Home Studios]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Bill@Welcome Home Studios
[quote=_LittleBuster_]
Stephen King, when asked, "How do you become a writer?" replied, "You don't 'become' a writer, you write because you have to write. You don't have any choice."

I'd like to offer another point of view, other than the one expressed by Stephen King.

Senior year of college I took Literary Theory and Criticism . My prof. for the course made the following observation, "If you want to find a writer, don't look for someone who says, 'I want to write because I have important things to say.'. Rather, look for someone who says, 'I want to write because I like hanging around words to see what they say.'"

You gentlemen may notice that I'm a llittle vague on punctuation.

I should mention that I don't read the gothic genre and I don't like Horror movies, I have enough problems without getting the fecal matter scared out of me by reading a book or watching a movie. That's just not fun for me.

#2453942 - 12/04/12 10:55 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I know this is wandering a bit off topic, but I'm mostly with you there, Fred. I don't mind the gothic genre in books, if they're well written, but "horror" movies are another matter. They're either too tedious, or formulaic or both. And can be somewhat depressing. It's also why I don't gravitate to listening to music written in minor chords.
Whitefang

#2453947 - 12/04/12 11:17 AM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
+2 Terrell...good sum up! -1 Whitefang, I gravitate towards minor chords/keys, but I stay away from those "Horror" movies...

#2454055 - 12/04/12 08:32 PM Re: Stuck in a Rut. [Re: _LittleBuster_]
Ramiro Offline

Loc: Chicago
you're not alone. I'm in that same stage. it's frustrating but hopefully thru this site we will be able to push thru it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose