Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2452569 - 11/27/12 06:59 PM I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 combo and the XD foot switch, we shall see what it does in a week or so. Three hundred fifty bucks. That is a reasonable price for a quick grab and go all purpose amp. I hope I can tweak it with the Fuse software to my satisfaction. The speaker may have to be changed in the future, but we shall see.

GP Island
#2452580 - 11/27/12 08:17 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Congrats! Is that the tube combo with DSP effects?

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2452612 - 11/28/12 06:05 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hey Man,

Congrats! I'd like to know how you like the tone of the amp straight "out of the box" before you tweak the tone to your specific requirements.

Enjoy! thu

#2452638 - 11/28/12 08:38 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: harvey]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: harvey
Congrats! Is that the tube combo with DSP effects?

yeah, the new one updated from the original XD, one of the new features is; it works with the Fender Fuze Software.

#2452639 - 11/28/12 08:39 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Fred_C]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Fred_C
Hey Man,

Congrats! I'd like to know how you like the tone of the amp straight "out of the box" before you tweak the tone to your specific requirements.

Enjoy! thu

I thought the original one was far too bright for my taste, but I am hoping for a bit of tweak ability with the software.

#2452642 - 11/28/12 08:58 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Congrats DBM! I have the Fender Fuze software which comes with the Mustang Floor pedal and Mustang amps. I have only used a fraction of it as I can do most of what I want on the Pedal. The Floor software will allow you to save original and altered presets on your laptop. I also offers a large screen view of the amp knobs for tweeking as opposed to just looking at a little tiny window on the amp. You can also download tweeks from the online storage by all kinds of artists like 'Black Magic Woman' or others that have found better ways to work the settings and alter presets, etc...my Floor pedal tweeks any amp or PA you hook it to. Very Cool! Hope it works out for you! thu

#2452745 - 11/28/12 03:49 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I downloaded the Fuze last evening, I don't think it is as comprehensive for the X2 as it is for the full on modeling amps/pedals, but I think you can do a lot with it that could not be done without the software. I will install it when I get the amp in house, it has shipped......

#2452821 - 11/29/12 06:15 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

I'd like to know how you like the tone of the amp straight "out of the box" before you tweak the tone to your specific requirements.

[/quote]I thought the original one was far too bright for my taste, but I am hoping for a bit of tweak ability with the software. [/quote]

Thanks for the response. Is the FUSE software difficult to use?

#2452823 - 11/29/12 06:17 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Hey Man,

Enjoy! thu

I thought the original one was far too bright for my taste, but I am hoping for a bit of tweak ability with the software.

Thanks for the response. Is the FUSE software difficult to use?

#2452856 - 11/29/12 08:04 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Fred_C]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have not tried Fuze yet, the amp is still shipping and I won't install the app until I see how I like the amp stock (although I have downloaded the Fuze and the install sits on my laptop desktop awaiting). I have been using editing software for so many years, I think it will be pretty simple for me to grok the essence of the app and get the best out of it easily. Once I learn it that is.

#2453087 - 11/30/12 08:06 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Shipping says Monday before end of day........

#2453740 - 12/03/12 02:17 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Groovy...repotting back!

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2453745 - 12/03/12 02:41 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: harvey]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not here yet, Almost 4:00 PM here no sign of UPS, sometimes it comes even later in the day. Tracking says out for delivery. (which is better than saying delivered and the pkg is not here) ;~)

#2453764 - 12/03/12 05:24 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So far so good, I was worried about it being far too bright to tweak, not the case. Quite the opposite, nice, round, and fat and I have not even begun to tweak. Amazing tone for an amp this size. Quite impressed so far. Tomorrow, I put the Fuze software on the computer, and tweak away....... No speaker or tube change needed, at least not yet.

#2454005 - 12/04/12 04:22 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have not had time to A/B it with my EVM12L which is broken in, but I do think the stock speaker is a little shrill, however it needs to be broken in a bit before I decide, probably several months of daily use to do that at lower volumes.

Every time I plug in, someone calls me or someone wants my attention. It is a good thing I am 70 years old and have learned a good bit of patience over the years.

I have not had time to put on the software and tweak it yet, and I am hoping for better things then what I have from it now, but so far it is a keeper, and if I can't improve on it much, it is still plenty good enough.

Nice little bit of kit, as my British musician friends say.

#2454810 - 12/07/12 08:33 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wanted something that needed nothing but a guitar wire and a efx/channel switching pedal. Sort of a grab and go amp, guitar in one hand and amp in the other, one trip out of the house, one trip in to the venue or jam, and one trip back to the car and then house. I might have to change the speaker because the highs are pretty shrill, I have the trebles turned way down to 3 as well as the bass on 3, and middles turned all the way up to make it usable for my tonal preferences, but that kinda muffles it a bit. I am thinking Eminence Lil Buddy 10 " with hemp cone to fix that, after I am sure the on board speaker is broken in well enough to loosen up the cone a bit.

I found only 2 usable sounds as it comes from the factory, the Channel 1 clean, and the # 13 patch on channel 2 which is a Fender super sonic model. I did put the Fender Fuze software on the computer, but I dd not delve into it that much. I found everything I need so far and I may never boot the software again. It has a decent digital reverb and that is the only effect I use on this amp and of course in my pedal board as well.

I plugged it into the EVM12L and got a volume boost of about 20%, but I actually like the tone of the on board 10" better (for this amp anyways).

I actually like the tone of my Valve Jr a little better with the pedals, but I am going to work with this amp exclusively for the next few months breaking in the speaker, but I will put the pedal board in front of it to A/B the tones of my tube distortion pedals against the digital Super Sonic model, but truth be told I want to use the SCX2 almost exclusively for the next few months to get used to the tones and tweak it until I like it. And maybe get the Lil Buddy, and JJ tubes after a few months to see if I can round out the tones to a little darker rounder than the present set up. So far I am keeping it unless it blows up before the 30 day return policy is up......

#2454854 - 12/07/12 10:38 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I wanted something that needed nothing but a guitar wire and a efx/channel switching pedal. Sort of a grab and go amp, guitar in one hand and amp in the other, one trip...

I might have to change the speaker because the highs are pretty shrill, I have the trebles turned way down to 3 as well as the bass on 3, and middles turned all the way up to make it usable... but that kinda muffles it a bit.

I found only 2 usable sounds as it comes from the factory, the Channel 1 clean, and the # 13 patch on channel 2 which is a Fender super sonic model.

...digital reverb...is the only effect I use on this amp...

I actually like the tone of my Valve Jr a little better with the pedals... maybe get the Lil Buddy, and JJ tubes after a few months to see if I can round out the tones to a little darker rounder...

Iddunno, that does NOT sound like the makings of a "keeper" to me... Most of the effects and 'bells & whistles' are of little or no use to you, and a brand-new amp (with a brand-new price) that needs the speaker AND the tubes swapped-out doesn't sound like much of a deal, either; maybe if you had bought it used for a good bargain to begin with, but... How much time do you have to still be able to return it?

You'd be far better served by a used MESA/Boogie Express 5:25 1x10" or 1x12" combo, just ask Bluesape. You'd easily be able to get the sounds you describe wanting to get above, right off the bat stone-stock with no mods or parts-swaps. Not as cheap as that little Fender, but factor in the costs of the new speaker and new tubes you WOULDN'T have to buy just to get it to sound acceptable to you- and it would immediately deliver the right sound and feel...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2457709 - 12/21/12 08:35 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well the clean channel is getting a little better as the speaker breaks in a bit. The Super Sonic Model is what I use for leads and it sounds like a nice simulation at the lower volumes I use at home, I have no idea what it will sound like turned up, I have to wait until the snow birds fly from here to try that. However I think I will have to hook the tube stomps back up for a little more overdrive realism. Not that the SS model is bad mind you, just a little lifeless at lower volumes kinda like the Bogner Alchemist I sent back. Still the amp is a keeper.

For the bucks, I got what I wanted, a quick grab and go lightweight amp with decent cleans, decent overdrives, and a good reverb, all on board. Stick a guitar wire and the pedal in a nice gallon baggie and stuff it in the back of the amp, put on the just received amp cover, and out the door I go, amp in one hand guitar in another. One trip out, one trip in.

I think right after the holidays I will pull the trigger on the hemp cone 10" Lil Buddy and see what happens with that. And maybe a set of JJ tubes after that if it needs more help. I will have to get the BIAS probes from Eurotubes and set the BIAS at optimum levels to my ear, and with the specs Bobbo advises. I bet with those upgrades the amp becomes a tone monster (I hope anyways).

#2457710 - 12/21/12 08:41 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

Iddunno, that does NOT sound like the makings of a "keeper" to me... Most of the effects and 'bells & whistles' are of little or no use to you, and a brand-new amp (with a brand-new price) that needs the speaker AND the tubes swapped-out doesn't sound like much of a deal, either; maybe if you had bought it used for a good bargain to begin with, but... How much time do you have to still be able to return it?

You'd be far better served by a used MESA/Boogie Express 5:25 1x10" or 1x12" combo, just ask Bluesape. You'd easily be able to get the sounds you describe wanting to get above, right off the bat stone-stock with no mods or parts-swaps. Not as cheap as that little Fender, but factor in the costs of the new speaker and new tubes you WOULDN'T have to buy just to get it to sound acceptable to you- and it would immediately deliver the right sound and feel...

Caev I am not a Mesa Boogie fan, first off you cannot adjust the BIAS on those amps, that in itself is a big barrier to me, because I know from experience with Mesa amps (I have had 4 of them) that they do not meet my tonal requirements at all unless you turn them way up to band volume levels. I actually tried the Express out at GC several years ago and I did not think that much of it truthfully. I need an amp with an adjustable BIAS pot in it, Because from experience, I know my Hot Rod Deluxe which was mediocre at best when I bought it improved mightily when I bought JJ tubes and BIASED the thing. Then when I put in a new speaker it went from real good to my tonal all time favorite amp. So for another hundred twenty five bucks I can get the speaker and the tubes and I know that will upgrade this amp to much better.

#2457719 - 12/21/12 09:08 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 on having some new fresh matched power tubes and having the bias set. My Hot Rod DeVille is an old USA made model and still sounds great (although it sits in the closet most of the time now as I'm going direct to the PA). I know it will still sound great if I ever have to break it back out one of these days...

#2457804 - 12/21/12 02:23 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I got a 10% off coupon so I pulled the trigger on the Eminence Lil Buddy. $71 shipped.

#2457814 - 12/21/12 03:29 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 on having some new fresh matched power tubes

A brand-new amp should be pretty much good to go there, or at least well within the ballpark... the output-tubes aught to be VERY fresh...

#2457821 - 12/21/12 04:23 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yep, you would expect a brand new amp with fresh tubes and the bias set to work good as soon as you plug-in and work even better after a little break-in. I can see doing a speaker upgrade if you get a good deal, even on a new amp. I've seen used Hot Rod DeVille Deluxe amps at GC with unmatched power tubes for $300 to $400 bucks, a fresh set and a bias set, can bring these old dust buckets back to life...

#2457950 - 12/22/12 08:10 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The different makes of tubes differ in tone quite a bit. So for my taste, I like the tone of JJ's most of all. They made a huge difference in my Hot Rod Deluxe and a decent difference in my Valve Jr head. However I like the tone of this amp, I just wanted to cut down on the highs a little over 2K, and the curve of the Lil Buddy is almost completely flat, I hear they do not break up easy, so I will get crisp cleans at higher volumes and since the overdrives are models, they will need no breakup to sound good. At least that is my hope, raw speakers cannot be returned so I am in it whether I like it or not.

#2458003 - 12/23/12 09:31 AM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I tried Ruby's in my DeVille and they sounded good but they didn't last long so I went back to Fender Groove tubes a few years back. I didn't know the color code made such a difference and thought 6L6's were all the same until I found out that blue is for blues breakup/distortion, white for normal distortion and red for clean. I chose the red and am very happy. When I need distortion and overdriven sounds I use the drive and more drive on the amp or just add a couple of pedals. I go for the cleanest sound I can get. +1 on tubes making a difference...

#2458013 - 12/23/12 12:16 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Oh, of course various tubes make a difference-I didn't mean to imply that they don't. smile I just think that a brand-new amp with a brand-new price should have pretty passable tubes to begin with.

#2458020 - 12/23/12 01:11 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, of course various tubes make a difference-I didn't mean to imply that they don't. smile I just think that a brand-new amp with a brand-new price should have pretty passable tubes to begin with.

For the most part I have agreed with you on both concepts (ie. tubes make a difference and new amps should come with good tubes to start with). However, there are guys out there like DBM who know what they like and don't care about having to swap out the brand new amps' tubes, to get the sound and groove they want. Kinda like the guy who buys a new MIM Strat knowing full well he's not going to use those stock pickups... wink

#2458281 - 12/25/12 05:14 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Caev your reply's are always spot on, you got no problem from me thinking about what you say. You are a knowledgeable guitar picker and what you have to say is always pretty straight up. No offense taken on my part, if I worded my reply to sound terse it was unintentional.

I always change my tube straight out of the box usually although the tubes in this Super Champ X2 are pretty good. I am awaiting the new Lil Buddy speaker to see if it improves the sound just the tad that I think it needs, if not it is an expensive lesson on my part because I can't return a raw speaker to the vendor.

You is OK with me amigo.....

#2458283 - 12/25/12 05:20 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
For the most part I have agreed with you on both concepts (ie. tubes make a difference and new amps should come with good tubes to start with). However, there are guys out there like DBM who know what they like and don't care about having to swap out the brand new amps' tubes, to get the sound and groove they want. Kinda like the guy who buys a new MIM Strat knowing full well he's not going to use those stock pickups... wink

Thanks amigo, for me it is money well spent if what I envision works. We are lucky and have a larger income than our daily bread and household expenses, so I do spend some money wisely and some unwisely on gear, but to me it is all well worth the money I do spend. (because money don't mean that much to me) For me money is a tool to get what I want.

I bought the Super Champ X2 knowing that I would need to do something with it to begin with, I don't like Fender combo amps with the stock speakers, they voice them far too bright for my taste. I never in my life bought a Fender combo amp that I did not change the speaker (well maybe one or two that did not need it). And I have been playing Fender amps since 1964. I sure do know what tone I like and in most cases I know how to attain it too.......

#2458286 - 12/25/12 05:44 PM Re: I pulled the trigger on the Super Champ X2 today [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I'm always glad to be wrong of it means good for someone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose