Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2451601 - 11/21/12 08:26 AM from the about damn time dept...
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
a wiggle stick for your accoustic?

oh, be still my heart!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ThePHATCompany

GP Island
#2451610 - 11/21/12 08:43 AM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
What will they think of next? An acoustic shaped like a B.C. Rich Warlock?

Actually, I've always wondered what a whammy on an acoustic would sound like.
Whitefang

#2451634 - 11/21/12 09:20 AM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh9zj0UcGik <---- here it is...at the end you will hear the whammy! Sounds like you could get some of that Southern Comfort swamp sound but it's not all that good...I'll pass.

#2451651 - 11/21/12 10:04 AM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I recall that Ibanez came out with some acoustic guitars with whammies on 'em decades ago, but I never saw one in real life myself...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2451675 - 11/21/12 12:03 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Larryz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh9zj0UcGik <---- here it is...at the end you will hear the whammy! Sounds like you could get some of that Southern Comfort swamp sound but it's not all that good...I'll pass.

Hard to take something too seriously that sets out to show that an acoustic can sound pretty good without being plugged in. The whammy is cool, though it needs to be demonstrated by someone with a subtler touch. Give one of those to Jeff Beck.

#2451691 - 11/21/12 12:43 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: whitefang]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang

Actually, I've always wondered what a whammy on an acoustic would sound like.
Whitefang

I should have bought it, I've since tried to buy one used, and now that I've been going to a regular acoustic jam, I wish that i had it even more. Martin chickened out on this instrument, I don't think they knew how to sell it.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2451701 - 11/21/12 02:04 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I recall that Ibanez came out with some acoustic guitars with whammies on 'em decades ago, but I never saw one in real life myself...

I think Peavey did one, too, in the 90s.

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2451713 - 11/21/12 03:35 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

Hard to take something too seriously that sets out to show that an acoustic can sound pretty good without being plugged in. The whammy is cool, though it needs to be demonstrated by someone with a subtler touch. Give one of those to Jeff Beck.

The strings look very loose in the demo and I would agree that it would probably sound a lot better plugged in (especially in the hands of Jeff Beck). On the other hand, if you're buying an acoustic with a whammy, it should work/sound good unplugged even in the hands of a less talented player. I like the picture that Bill (of Welcome home!) is showing of that Martin with a Bigsby. It's looks cool and it looks like it's more of a plug it in model and incorporates the electric guitar hardware...

#2451716 - 11/21/12 04:14 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Larryz]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like the picture that Bill (of Welcome home!) is showing of that Martin with a Bigsby. It's looks cool and it looks like it's more of a plug it in model and incorporates the electric guitar hardware...

It has a DeArmond pickup. The face is very rough brushed aluminum, the body is black.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/ALTX.htm

The pictures are missing the Martin metal sound hole cover, CFM in script.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2451717 - 11/21/12 04:27 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I'll take a stance and say I don't like people who just play electric licks on acoustics... I think it calls for a different approach.

I've seen people for years with Bigsbys on acoustics...

never appealed to me, even as a Bigsby and acoustic lover...

When Gibson rolls out the J-45 Robot X self-tuning programmable acoustic, you'll all be sorry you encouraged this nonsense. smile

#2451718 - 11/21/12 04:33 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Actually, the vid on the facebook page sounds pretty cool.

#2451729 - 11/21/12 07:20 PM Re: from the about damn time dept... [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I wouldn't buy an acoustic with a whammy, but if I ever did...it would be a Bigsby. (great pic P90). You can't stop progress. I was one of the 1st kids on the block (circa: on or before John Lennon's Gibson) to put a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar. My buddy had one on an old Martin as well and they sounded fantastic. The idea was to create kind of a poor boy's electric guitar. I've watched a Jazz player (on stage last year with Tommy Emmanuel and others) using a magnetic soundhole pickup on his acoustic side by side with some of the best jazz guitars & guitarists. It sounded great (as does Lyle Lovett's guitar on his new country album).

Then there are Peizos and Fishman EQ's, under saddle pups and one of my faves on my T5 is a humbucker buried under the fretboard, which you'll be seeing more of on acoustics in the future...who would have thought Tommy Emmanuel and a ton of others could get such great acoustic sound using a soundhole cover? Now Fishman has come out with a soundhole cover with a magnetic pickup installed in it...

I know purists that won't use anything but a mic (mostly bluegrass boys)...but I give credit to those out there that try new things and make some great clean acoustic/electric guitar sounds.

Edited by Larryz (11/21/12 07:25 PM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose