Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2450781 - 11/17/12 07:53 AM "We'll be back after this..."
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I don't know about any of you, but lately I've been hearing some tasty acoustic guitar work used as background in many TV commercials. I know that many ad companies use already published and recorded music by established artists, but some of the stuff I'm hearing doesn't fall into this category.

And in the case of those others, many a well known or popular song had been reworked into excellent sounding covers.

I'll try to remember to jot down some examples and report back.
Whitefang

GP Island
#2450787 - 11/17/12 08:34 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I've been thinking for years that I hear more interesting, inventive and adventurous music in advertising than on a lot of the mainstream/pop radio, TV and streamed music broadcasting...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2450795 - 11/17/12 09:31 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Funny you should mention this Fang (que in the twilight zone music). I was sitting there watching the news this morning daydreaming over coffee and this commercial comes on with this acoustic guitar in the background. I can't tell you what the commercial was even about, as I just keyed in on the guitar playing. It wasn't anything fancy, but it had a real nice timing and strumming thing going with a cool vibe that I had not heard before... cool

#2450802 - 11/17/12 10:29 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
It's been going on for a few years now- I caught one commercial back in 2007 or so that had reworked a track from Billy Cobham.

...it was a tune from back in the 1980s, so when I walked over to my 5000+ CD collection, found it, and played it a few minutes after the commercial aired, my buddy looked at me like I was a Martian...

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2451005 - 11/18/12 04:05 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cadillac has been using the Yeah Yeah Yeah's version of LL Cool J's "Phenomenon" for their commercials lately.

#2451015 - 11/18/12 05:03 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And as I observed a long time again, a lot of songs off The Black Keys' album Brothers wound up in ads. Edit: just found out that the songs off of Brothers made it their label's most licensed album of 2010.

Skrillex's "Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites" was used by Olympus cameras.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/19/12 01:23 AM)

#2451020 - 11/18/12 06:13 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

getting a commercial or movie/tv song placement is the new "hit single." It's the only way a lot of musicians I know have made a lot of money over the past decade.

#2451031 - 11/18/12 06:48 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I've been thinking for years that I hear more interesting, inventive and adventurous music in advertising than on a lot of the mainstream/pop radio, TV and streamed music broadcasting...

Yes, have thought the same thing

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2451062 - 11/18/12 09:17 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: harvey]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The reason?

Ad men are trying to reach the youth. Everyone else is trying to grow/keep what they have.

Not that musicians are not trying to reach the youth- they are- but they want to do so in the context of their art. Advertisers just want to get eyes & ears on their product.

Thus, in order to get the product in congruence with the song selected, they can edit the song. Sometimes, all you hear is the hook. Or perhaps some off-color or otherwise incongruous lyrics simply get edited out.

Which reminds me- Volkswagon is using Johnny Cash's "Dirty ol egg suckin' dog" in one of their ads.

#2451063 - 11/18/12 09:22 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" has been used in multiple ads, the one I remember being for Delta airlines.

#2451070 - 11/18/12 10:37 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Intel uses Supergrass' "Alright" in some of their commercials.

#2451079 - 11/19/12 12:39 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Fox used to use Brian Eno tracks for their football ads*- I know "Ali Click" from Nerve Net was one. I believe "Fractal Zoom" from the same album was also used.

Eno's "An Ending" was also used in some commercials for the PS3. The same song was used by Subway.

* they may still do this, I haven't checked.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/19/12 12:44 AM)

#2451162 - 11/19/12 08:35 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There's one GEICO commercial featuring the man "made of money" that has him running a speedboat on some lake with paper currency flying off of him while some nicely done acoustic slide work is being played.

Still haven't had the chance to jot down some of the nicer music played on commercials just yet, but I'm working on it.
Whitefang

#2451172 - 11/19/12 09:11 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Another own from VW: Rush's "Fly By Night."

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/19/12 09:11 AM)

#2451227 - 11/19/12 01:01 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Shark vacuum cleaners is using a cover of "Old Time Rock & Roll"

And on a cooler note, the Red Cross is using Supertramp's "Give a little bit" to raise money.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/19/12 01:10 PM)

#2451297 - 11/19/12 06:56 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

ESPN is using Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge" for their WatchESPN app ads.

#2451307 - 11/19/12 07:36 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2451312 - 11/19/12 07:45 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

^ from that article:

"I think supervisors really have a different goal: to find the very best song that will enhance the story. The job's not necessarily going to go to the best-looking band, or to a musician in a certain age group. Often, when a song hits, it hits because it was tied to a scene that fans liked."

That's kind of true... I had some friends who were just a local band who recorded a disc, sent it to a guy who licenses music and it got played on two television shows (one being "Grey's Anatomy") and a few low key ads. That was their break... before that they couldn't get reviewed or accepted into music festivals or get airplay or get on decent bills out of town, because they weren't part of connected indie rock world or whatever... music supervisors might be open-minded and the people honestly listening for good stuff, like college radio djs were in the 80s and 90s and the record execs were in the golden ages.

#2451330 - 11/19/12 09:07 PM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tangentially, Henry Rollins was once asked how he felt about bands "selling out" to get in commercials.

Essentially, he said "good for them", why shouldn't they get some $$$ for their work, don't you prefer that bands you DO like get that $$$ than bands you don't, and, BTW, a good part of it is that some of the people who are choosing the music are fans of it, and see it as doing them a solid.

#2451382 - 11/20/12 07:23 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I rarely watch "live" tv. I record what I want on DVR and watch it later so I can ff through the commercials... one of the truly wonderful aspects of new tv technology. cool

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2451388 - 11/20/12 08:01 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: SEHpicker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I do the same...but not 100% of the time. If I had, I would never have caught Honda using The Heavy's "How you like me now?" in a commercial. Good band, good song, good album.

(That year, they also used Judas Priest's "The Hellion" in an ad.)

#2451414 - 11/20/12 09:55 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: SEHpicker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: SEHpicker
I rarely watch "live" tv. I record what I want on DVR and watch it later so I can ff through the commercials... one of the truly wonderful aspects of new tv technology. cool

Too bad. Many of the more entertaining things to WATCH on TV are the commercials. Some display impressive special effects(I think TV ads are the proving grounds for MANY effects used later in movies), filming techniques, off the wall humor and of course, the music.

Y'all are good at pointing out commercials that use well established and familiar songs to sell their products( "Fly by Night", "Old Time Rock and Roll"), but what TV ads use acoustic guitar work you think is outstanding, or at least interesting? Which is how this thread got started...
Whitefang

#2451427 - 11/20/12 10:58 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I hadn't really noticed much cool guitar playing on TV commercials, but now that you've got me CURIOUS....
Unfortunately, they don't tell you who it is!
And yes, I definitely glom on to the guitar or other instrumental parts. My wife, whose primary language is Spanish, will sometimes ask me "what does the song say" and sometimes I can't even tell her! I could tell her that it was a nice slide part or chord progression, or that the guitarist had really smooth technique.

#2451435 - 11/20/12 11:39 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Eric Iverson]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sometimes, you can get the song information by watching with closed captions on.

I discovered this because I often practice with my headphones on, and turn on the CC on my TV. It will often- but not always- tell you the title, the artist, and the lyrics. Hell- if you get the lyrics, you can usually find the artist & song.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/20/12 11:41 AM)

#2451600 - 11/21/12 08:24 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Too bad. Many of the more entertaining things to WATCH on TV are the commercials.

To some I suppose... producing tv commercials is what I do for a living. So I don't have a whole lot of interest in watching more "blah blah blah" and "sell sell sell".
However, with everything recorded, I sometimes watch and re-watch some of the really good ones... my form of continued education. snax

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2451617 - 11/21/12 08:50 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: SEHpicker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ha Ha. I understand that, Picker. Why do for nothing what you ordinarily get paid for? Like the guy I knew in high school who started a landscaping business...lived in the only house on his block without a shrub, tree, flower bed and the mangiest, scrawniest anemic looking lawn for miles around.
Whitefang

#2451624 - 11/21/12 09:05 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Eric Iverson]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
I definitely glom on to the guitar or other instrumental parts. My wife, whose primary language is Spanish, will sometimes ask me "what does the song say" and sometimes I can't even tell her! I could tell her that it was a nice slide part or [quote]chord progression, or that the guitarist had really smooth technique.

Hey Eric,

Was it Gibson or some other vendor who had a tag line some years ago that stated "Lyrics are the wasted time between guitar solos."

Was it Gibson or some other vendor who had a tag line some years back that stated, "

#2452618 - 11/28/12 07:21 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally, this thread was intended to point out the wide use of music in television commercials that used acoustic guitar work as background.

It was an effort to cite that in spite of the lack of use of acoustic guitar in popular music of late, that acoustic guitar is often used in this medium sometimes to convey hominess, a gentle mood or whimsy. At the very least, the use of acoustic guitar in television ads leaves the pitch of the product innoffensive to the viewer, taking a more gentle approach than do ads for say, video games, most of which use a "death metal" form of music to provoke excitement in the target audience. Certainly, using an acoustic guitar sound like the chart of "Dust in The Wind" isn't going to incite viewers to rush out and buy "Halo II". But it WOULD make something like baby food or fabric softener seem more accessable to the senses.

Acoustic guitar music is also often used to convey a sense of nostalgia, such as in some of the Smucker's preservatives ads, or a baked goods company that hails back several decades. Nothing goes together like a scene of a grandmotherly type lady placing fresh baked rolls on the table to the strains of an acoustic guitar being softly finger picked in the back ground. Or black-and-white images of Mom and the kids making Rice Krispy treats with an acoustic guitar singing cheerfully behind them. Ahhh...warms the heart, doesn't it?

THOSE were the kind of examples I was looking for.
Whitefang

#2452643 - 11/28/12 09:03 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
In guitar speak: Stay Tuned Fang...I will probably focus more on the acoustic background stuff in the future and +1 on the concept of hot buttered pancakes and maple syrup vs those hot rod shoot'em up electrics...

#2452648 - 11/28/12 09:17 AM Re: "We'll be back after this..." [Re: whitefang]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Originally, this thread was intended to point out the wide use of music in television commercials that used acoustic guitar work as background.

It was an effort to cite that in spite of the lack of use of acoustic guitar in popular music of late, that acoustic guitar is often used in this medium sometimes to convey hominess, a gentle mood or whimsy. Whitefang

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley."

Robert Burns
To a Mouse *

*You know, I have always thought that the name of this poem was To a Field Mouse . I'm fairly certain that I've seen it published as such. Evidently I was mistaken.
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose