Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2449068 - 11/08/12 03:31 PM Power Supply Question.
Brandon S Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello everybody. My pedal collection is growing and I am starting to run into what I think is a common problem: All of my pedals require power but 9V batteries are expensive and AC adaptors take up all the outlets on my power strips. So I was thinking that it would be a wise idea to get a power supply, and the one that jumped out at me was the Dunlop Brick Power Supply. It means that I don't have to buy tons of 9V batteries, I don't have to have 4 AC Adaptors and I don't have 4 bulking AC Adaptor plugs on my power strip.

So to the question, I am worried about compatibility. I know with things like cell phones and shavers, each one has it's own charger, which means things don't get simplified very easy. I assume that pedals are much more simple to power, but I am not sure if the "Brick" will power all of my pedals. Since it is a Dunlop product I know it will power my Dunlop Crybaby classic and the dunlop classic 108 I am looking to buy, but what about pedals from other companies? An Electro Harmonix Big Muff Germanium? Or more worringly, a boutique pedal, such as a VFE Enterprise Phaser? It's a long term investment to buy a 86 dollar power supply, and I would hate to pay that much money and that have it only save me money on two pedals instead of all 4 (or more).

Lastly, I'm not set on the Brick, so if there are any other better power supplies out there for a similar price I would appreciate the info.

GP Island
#2449069 - 11/08/12 03:41 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Brandon S]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
You want to be sure the polarity of the supply's output matches the polarity of the pedal's input, that the voltage is correct, and that it has enough amperage to push as many pedals as you hook up. Shouldn't a problem beyond that.

#2449070 - 11/08/12 03:44 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: picker]
Brandon S Offline

I'm going to be honest with you, I have no idea what you just said. I didn't know my pedal had a polarity and I thought I was dealing only with volts, not amperage.

#2449073 - 11/08/12 04:14 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Brandon S]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
You might want to check out the 1-Spot. Not expensive, it will power 5 pedals and comes with all sorts of adapters. Mine has served me well for many years and all of mine are 9volts with the same polarity...

Edited by Larryz (11/08/12 09:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Tspot should be 1spot...sorry!

#2449079 - 11/08/12 04:32 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Larryz]
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
There should be a polarity 'picture' next to the power supply jack, just make sure your new supply matches. The picture should also show other requirements of the pedal. One Spot makes some handy stuff, maybe check their site.

#2449087 - 11/08/12 05:05 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Funk Jazz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Funk Jazz
There should be a polarity 'picture' next to the power supply jack, just make sure your new supply matches. The picture should also show other requirements of the pedal.

Center Pin-Negative symbol (most pedals)

Center Pin-Positive symbol (some pedals, less common)

Be sure that it's DC voltage, and not AC, for power-supply daisy-chaining like pedals together. Most, maybe even all, of your pedals will likely be 9v DC Center Pin-Negative, but those that aren't may require their own separate external power-supplies. I have a few AC and reverse-polarity pedals and devices in my signal-chain as well as more typical 9vDC powered pedals, all connected in the order I want, some daisy-chained from a single 1 Spot PS, some with their own PS's, 'sall good. cool

Many vintage and vintage-style pedals, particularly fuzzes, either work best or only work with a 9 volt battery, instead of an external power-supply; many will not work well with a daisy-chained power-supply; and many such vintage and vintage-style pedals will actually sound and feel their best specifically with old-style carbon 9v batteries, instead of modern alkaline or various rechargeable batteries. Let your own ears and fingers decide!

Originally Posted By: Funk Jazz
One Spot makes some handy stuff, maybe check their site.

I can HIGHLY recommend the 1 Spot, and particularly the 1 Spot Combo Pack.

I've got a 1-Spot power supply, made by Visual Sound, and I love it; it's called the 1 Spot 'cause it only takes up one spot on a typical outlet-strip, unlike most "wall warts", which get in the way of adjacent outlets. In spite of it's small size, it'll power up to twenty pedals or a total of 1700 mA of current-draw, whichever comes first, and will automatically convert AC-voltage worldwide.

I use it with a daisy-chain cable to power seven to nine pedals, and it works like a champ- no noise problems, no "sag" or other performance issues, just consistent 9v DC power. I bought the Combo Pack, which includes (shown in the second pic below):

* A 1 Spot 9vdc/1700mA power supply with a 10' cord,

* a long eight-plug daisy-chain cable,

* two battery-clip adapters (snaps on where a battery would go in vintage pedals that don't have power-jacks),

* two 3.5mm (1/8") plug adapters (fits DOD, Electro-Harmonix, some vintage),

* and a reverse-polarity adapter (fits Line 6 digital-modeler pedals, among others).

(Use electrical tape to mask-off unused plugs in the daisy-chain, as they can accidentally contact pedal-housings, etc. and short to ground; no harm, but your pedals will unexpectedly have no power.)

You'd have to spend a LOT more to get something genuinely appreciably better. There are more professional pedal power-supplies out there (Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, Burkey Flatliner Six, both top-shelf power supplies with features beyond the 1 Spot; the Gear > Accessory File - 4 Potent Power Supply Units article in the September 2012 issue of Guitar Player reviews several more recent candidates), but you don't necessarily need any more than what the 1-Spot offers, especially for the price difference.

Heads up- Good deal alert:

You can currently get the 1 Spot from Sweetwater Sound for $19.99, or the 1 Spot Combo Pack from Sweetwater Sound for $34.89, WITH FREE SHIPPING. That's where I got mine.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2449115 - 11/09/12 01:40 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Another vote for the 1 Spot.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2449151 - 11/09/12 07:14 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Sorry if I'm not firing on all cylinders this morning, been a long week. Anyhow -

Couple of things to think about. The Dunlop Brick and the 1 Spot are very similar, in that the Brick does not have isolated outputs - inside the Brick, the wiring is daisy-chained, like the 1 Spot. This means possible noise and ground loops, within your pedal array. Noise is a pain to deal with, ground loops are potentially deadly.

If you're looking at just four or five pedals for now, check out the VooDoo Lab ISO-5. It's a little more money than the Brick, but it's a better design, and you have the option of powering some 18v pedals.

If you think you're going to wind up with 8 or 10 pedals, look into the larger Pedal Power 2+ I use it for my most power-hungry pedalboard, and it's never let me down.

Keep in mind that buying four or five separate AC adapters will cost nearly as much as either the Brick or the ISO-5, although there's really no need to run four or five separate adapters. Along with the 1 Spot, I also like the Godlyke Power-All. The Power-All also has an available Iso Pump adapter that will allow you to get 12, 18 or even 24v, from the 9-volt adapter. Iso-Pump.

Last word - no matter what power supply you get, go ahead and get yourself a decent power strip, from some major electronics chain, to power your amp & effects. It will probably cost you as much as a cheap pedal, $30-$60, but think of it as insurance for your gear, and yourself. Even if your current rig is just a few hundred bucks worth of gear, don't risk plugging it into a $6 power strip from the bargain store - your gear, and your health, are worth much more.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2449167 - 11/09/12 08:21 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Good call, WP. cool In particular, any and all Voodoo Lab power supplies are top-notch. Their Pedal Power 2 Plus is excellent and has some exceedingly cool features- especially the two 9v outputs with "Sag"-control! I will likely upgrade to the PP2+ someday, myself, as both my needs and my budget grow.

I do think that the 1 Spot Combo Pack is the best overall balance of bargain and performance; most people will not need anything better, especially when initially getting into pedals and such, though again, better certainly can be bought- for a big jump in cost. I haven't had any noise or other problems with the 1 Spot so far!

That Godlyke Iso-Pump Voltage Converter looks to be a pretty cool accessory to have on hand! I've got at least one 9v pedal that can be run at much higher voltages- a Foxrox Octron, which can work from 9v up to 30v (!)- it'd be cool to try it out at higher voltage...

Now, there's no reason that the Iso-Pump Voltage Converter wouldn't work with other 9vDC power-supplies, is there? As long as current-handling is up to it, right?

At least one of my pedals- a J. Everman Octave-X (octave-fuzz)- has a similar enough "charge-pump" built-into its internal power-supply circuitry, so that it runs at 18v off from either a 9v battery or an external 9vDC power-supply. It's an exceptionally quiet and consistent octave-fuzz!

#2449199 - 11/09/12 10:49 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Brandon S Offline

Well, thank you a whole bunch guys. The 1 Spot Combo pack looks perfect and it's a much nicer looking price than the Brick. Maybe one day I'll get the Voodoo Labs Power Supply, but for now the 1 Spot will do the job.

#2449278 - 11/09/12 04:27 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Larryz
You might want to check out the 1-Spot. Not expensive, it will power 5 pedals and comes with all sorts of adapters. Mine has served me well for many years and all of mine are 9volts with the same polarity...

I got one it works flawlessly, I agree.....

#2449284 - 11/09/12 05:09 PM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
This means possible noise and ground loops, within your pedal array. Noise is a pain to deal with, ground loops are potentially deadly.

Speak more on this, if you can, please.

*eyeing my multiple 1Spots with suspicion*

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2449376 - 11/10/12 10:12 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Further elaboration coming in email . . .

#2449381 - 11/10/12 10:49 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: WinstonPsmith
Further elaboration coming in email . . .

Aw, you're killin' me, I'd enjoy reading that, myself! Information, experience and ideas are GOOD! cool

If you don't want to post it here or on another, new thread, please feel free to include me in a group PM...

#2449384 - 11/10/12 11:10 AM Re: Power Supply Question. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Caevan, check your messages, brother, I've got you covered.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose