Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2449066 - 11/08/12 03:17 PM Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh)
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
So I've been working more and more on creating 'outside' lines in more or less normal playing situations. i.e., over the V chord in a blues.

Mostly I've been going to the Diminished scale, sometimes from the root, or sometimes a half step up from the root to get more angular. Think Robben Ford.

I've also found that with dominant 7 chords, you can go up a minor third from the root of the chord, and play typical mixolydian ideas and get a pretty cool 'bop' outside sound.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has some good stuff they're playing around with that they would like to share?

GP Island
#2449075 - 11/08/12 04:18 PM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: Funk Jazz]
Steevo Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Paducah,KY USA
Hey Funk Jazz! Good to see you around. Your post took me back to an old post of mine on a similar topic. Check it out here and maybe it will apply

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1363336/What_are_the_magic_notes#Post1363336

See ya,

S

#2449078 - 11/08/12 04:29 PM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: Steevo]
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
Awesome, Pauldil has a nice thought there. Wonder what that dude is up to...

#2449091 - 11/08/12 06:28 PM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: Funk Jazz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Good to see BOTH of yez Brers heres 'bouts! thu cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2449123 - 11/09/12 04:37 AM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
I've always liked the whole tone walk between I and V and chromatic 9th arpeggios in chaotic note patterns from V - IV.

#2449133 - 11/09/12 05:28 AM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: Terrell]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah, with Funk Jazz and Steevo both here, it's like old times. I do wonder what ever happened to Pauldil. I still have a few of his tunes on my computer. (For that matter, I think I have one of yours as well, Funk Jazz.)
My Pics

#2452285 - 11/26/12 09:10 AM Re: Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh) [Re: A String]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Re: "playing outside" - yes, I know what you're talking about here - but it also reminds me of a famous picture of Albert Collins playing OUTSIDE the Bottom Line, that late lamented club in Manhattan.
He must have had a long cord! (I don't think they used wireless too much back then...)

Playing outside the chord changes? I think of it as spice. It can add a lot to a meal, but you don't eat a plateful of paprika, do you? LOL
Dissonance is cool if used right! But soon or later you gotta resolve..... or it ain't music.. at least that's what Leonard Bernstein thought.
I do have to say that some music is so bland and generic I can hardly listen to it, and part of the problem is lack of harmonic spice... or rhythmic, but that's another topic!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose