Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2448592 - 11/06/12 03:23 PM Which would you buy?
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Given a choice between a used Godin Velocity ("natural" high gloss flamed maple finish, HSS, tremolo) in pristine condition OR a trio of used Red Witch pedals (Moon Phaser, Framulus & Empress), seemingly in great shape (no visible scratches, dents, corrosion, etc.), which would you buy- if any- and why? The trio of pedals costs $8 more than the guitar. They are in the same store.

To be clear, I don't NEED any of these, since I have lots of pedals and guitars. And as used items, they might not be there when I go back (and I'm OK with that).

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/06/12 03:25 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2448594 - 11/06/12 03:29 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

i would grab the Velocity for sure, great guitars.

rock it, i will

#2448623 - 11/06/12 05:14 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Guitarzan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Personally, if the guitar- that specific, very one there in the store- didn't absolutely own me and make me have to have it when I played it (allowing for old/worn strings), I would probably go with Curtain Number Two, ehrr, I mean, the trio of Red Witch pedals.

I'd love the Moon Phaser/tremolo, the Famulus OD/distortion looks very interesting and versatile, and while I usually HATE almost all chorus effects, the Empress Chorus seems to be one that I could actually use and like.

The order I'd place 'em in would be:

Guitar > Moon Phaser > Famulus > Empress Chorus > any echo/delay > amp

______

______

______

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2448723 - 11/07/12 07:34 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I have guitars, some of them quite nice, all of them practical tools in good working condition. My pedals are still a work in progress. So, I'd go for the pedals, myself. Those Empress pedals look like pretty flexible sound tools to me.

#2448737 - 11/07/12 08:46 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: picker
I have guitars, some of them quite nice, all of them practical tools in good working condition. My pedals are still a work in progress. So, I'd go for the pedals, myself. Those Empress pedals look like pretty flexible sound tools to me.

Note that the Moon Phaser combines phase-shifting and tremolo on some settings, kinda sorta like your DOD Vibro Thang does...

#2448739 - 11/07/12 09:08 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I just happened to be in the vicinity of a particular GC where I know there was a Godin Velocity on the wall. Their used section online is swimming in Godins these days, and there were 2 near me- a Velocity and a Progression. I had already tried out the Progression at the other store, so I stopped in to lookie lookie at the Velocity.

I swear, if I didn't know they were used... Both were in fantastic condition...and under $450. The brief time I got to spend with each was a joy.

But as I was walking out of the second GC having tried out the Velocity, I noticed pedals and saw the Red Witch Fuzz God. As I turned away from THAT (drooling a mite) I came face to face with their used pedals, and saw that little trio.

(Tres Brujahs? The Norns, perhaps?)

Had I been there with spending money on my mind, I'd have been in it for sure. I KNOW the quality of Red Witch pedals...and of Godin guitars. It just amazes me to see them sitting there, like puppies in the pound. I mean, I don't know about the pedals, but both of those Godins have been hanging around for months.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/07/12 09:12 AM)

#2448747 - 11/07/12 10:03 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Both leveraging the return policy to see which ones stick?

#2448748 - 11/07/12 10:05 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
(Tres Brujahs? The Norns, perhaps?)

cool

Had I been there with spending money on my mind, I'd have been in it for sure. I KNOW the quality of Red Witch pedals...and of Godin guitars. It just amazes me to see them sitting there, like puppies in the pound. I mean, I don't know about the pedals, but both of those Godins have been hanging around for months.

It's a buyers' market- and buyers aren't buyin' a whole lot...

#2448758 - 11/07/12 10:39 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good point- one I should have considered.

Of course, I've noticed that Godins tend to be a bit under the radar here in the southern portions of the USA. Most people 'round these here parts are looking for Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanezes and Gretsches.

Yet Godin products (and G&L, for that matter) keep popping up in the used sections of the stores...just last night, found a couple of Richmond Belmonts. Look to be pristine, too.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/07/12 10:47 AM)

#2448782 - 11/07/12 12:40 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Given a choice between a used Godin Velocity ("natural" high gloss flamed maple finish, HSS, tremolo) in pristine condition OR a trio of used Red Witch pedals (Moon Phaser, Framulus & Empress), seemingly in great shape (no visible scratches, dents, corrosion, etc.), which would you buy- if any- and why? The trio of pedals costs $8 more than the guitar. They are in the same store.

To be clear, I don't NEED any of these, since I have lots of pedals and guitars. And as used items, they might not be there when I go back (and I'm OK with that).

If you don't need any of these, don't buy any...RESIST...given this kind of choice, I would go for the guitar! If you really like it and want it, go for it...pedals are easy to find and get swapped out all of the time. Guitars you like, not so easy to let go of... idk

#2448826 - 11/07/12 02:37 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Like I said, this ain't about need...

But it may eventually be about what I get myself for Christmas. wink

#2448836 - 11/07/12 03:41 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

But as I was walking out of the second GC having tried out the Velocity, I noticed pedals and saw the Red Witch Fuzz God. As I turned away from THAT (drooling a mite) I came face to face with their used pedals, and saw that little trio.

I'd bet that the Fuzz God (either the original germanium model, OR the more featuresome silicon FG II) fed into the Famulus distortion would be a fantastic combination... Man, you could probably tweak some particularly awesome, touch/volume-knob responsive fuzztortion with the two of them patched together in that order...

rawk thu cool

They really aught to make an octave-fuzz version of the Fuzz God and/or Fuzz God II, with the option of switching the octave-fuzz components in or out. cool Add a blendable/mixable clean/direct to both the FG and the Famulus as well as the octave-fuzz and it'd be epic! I think I'll have to suggest these ideas to Red Witch...

#2448838 - 11/07/12 04:00 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It was the FGII...

I recently found out that the GC in question is one of their bigger, fancier "Platinum" stores, hence the slightly more upscale stock.

#2448850 - 11/07/12 05:49 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

So, what did you think about the Godin Velocity, and also the Progression?

I'm assuming that since you haven't had much of anything to say about either of them, that they were OK but didn't exactly grab you and 'speak to you', either...

In which case, I still say, get those three or four pedals... ! grin thu

It was the FGII...

______

A nice demo of the FG II in action at about 01:38 or so:

______

#2448880 - 11/07/12 08:44 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I liked both of the Godins, actually, but didn't have a lot of time to really get a feel for them.

I can say that both felt better in my hands than similar Fenders. I'm not talking about Fender vs Godin quality, just entirely subjective feel. They were both in top-notch condition, visually.

But I didn't get a chance to really give them a thorough going over plugged into an amp- just a few minutes each. In that time, they delivered some nice clean, Stratty tones. I didn't have a chance to hear them get crunchy.

The Velocity's trem was different from the one in my Jon Kammerer- a bit shorter but also a bit more outward angled, so it was still right where it needed to be.

Each guitar would fit in a tiny void in my guitar collection. I currently have only one guitar equipped with an actual single-coil pickup, a Jon Kammerer hollowbody that currently has a trio of Lace Alumitones in it. (Nice!) I have 2 JKGs that can coil split as well.

So my "Strat-emulation" abilities are kind of slim at the moment.

The reason I didn't buy either one (or both) is because 2012's guitar budget is shot!

I bought a used Tacoma this summer. In October, I asked for and received a little $$$ towards buying a Fernandes Ravelle Elite, and I decided to upgrade the pickups in my Dean Special select EVO from muddy stocks to some Bareknuckles from the UK (on order).

I also picked up a T-Rex MAB Overdrive and a Red Witch Titan Delay.

On top of all that, another luthier is currently building me a guitar with a HSS array...

So, like it or not, the only way a Godin- or those other Red Witches- comes home with me this year or early next is with my Christmas money!

#2448913 - 11/08/12 05:51 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Larryz]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I used to own a Godin Flat Five - absolutely fantastic guitar. The build quality was much better than Fender or Gibson in that price range - which was relatively cheap. I regret selling that guitar.

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2448965 - 11/08/12 08:27 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: SEHpicker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
It's Christmas eh? So that changes the whole decision making process! Buy the Godin this year and the Red Witches early next year and put them both under the tree...Your credit is always good at home, even if it gets a little rough at first...

#2449013 - 11/08/12 11:21 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I also picked up a T-Rex MAB Overdrive and a Red Witch Titan Delay.

O0OO0O00O00O0OOH, I ran across the Red Witch Titan just the other day... what a super cool pedal!! *WANT* *WANT* *WANT* cool

#2449176 - 11/09/12 09:12 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It seems as of the "Edit" function isn't quite up to speed, otherwise I wouldn't be adding this post:

Quote:
Each guitar would fit in a tiny void in my guitar collection. I currently have only one guitar equipped with an actual single-coil pickup, a Jon Kammerer hollowbody that currently has a trio of Lace Alumitones in it. (Nice!) I have 2 JKGs that can coil split as well.

So my "Strat-emulation" abilities are kind of slim at the moment.

Forgot to mention- I only have one guitar with a tremolo, and I'd like to have one for tuning to CGDAEG.

(But damn if theNorns aren't super tempting...such great pedals at such a great price!)

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/09/12 09:13 AM)

#2449406 - 11/10/12 01:35 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az

None of the above.. However I would like a nice small all tube amp 15 watts or so with a single 12 in it.

#2449470 - 11/10/12 11:41 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

(But damn if theNorns aren't super tempting...such great pedals at such a great price!)

You've got me wanting a Fuzz God II, Moon Phaser, Famulus distortion, and Titan triple echo now! You could do a LOT worse than those four, in that order!

#2449471 - 11/10/12 11:58 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Back at ya- I never heard of the Fuzz Gods until I saw it in the store that day...and then you had to post that VIDEO!!!

#2449499 - 11/11/12 08:30 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
[ You've got me wanting a Fuzz God II, Moon Phaser, Famulus distortion, and Titan triple echo now!

You might consider that you have a problem Caev, just saying, but you might could look into a 12 step GAS program in your area. There are people who have gone through this before who could help. Oy! So many pedals!
LOL!

#2449503 - 11/11/12 09:14 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
[ You've got me wanting a Fuzz God II, Moon Phaser, Famulus distortion, and Titan triple echo now!

You might consider that you have a problem Caev, just saying, but you might could look into a 12 step GAS program in your area. There are people who have gone through this before who could help. Oy! So many pedals!
LOL!

Hahhaahhahhahhaahhahhaahhahhaahhaahh!! grin thu

I just love what can be done with different pedals and amps- especially in combination. In particular, fuzzes, octave-fuzzes, overdrives, distortions, tube-amps (or amp/cab/speaker modeler-sims) can interact in very cool ways!

#2449504 - 11/11/12 09:14 AM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Step on the GAS!

As it so happens, the issue may have been decided for me: I think someone bought the Godin. I was about to recommend it to someone, and checked the online store for it...

Hard to say about the Tres Brujas, though- they never got them all online.

And of course, the are always other options...I found a couple of Richmond* Belmonts on the site, too. No trem, but HSS. (Those are lipsticks, by the way.)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Use...095-i2667135.gc

* Richmond is a Godin subsidiary.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/11/12 09:29 AM)

#2451703 - 11/21/12 02:16 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Mikhael Offline

It looks like I'm a little out-of-line around here. I never use distortion pedals, and I like Godins, so there ya go...

#2451725 - 11/21/12 06:52 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Mikhael]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like Godins, too! This is all about the fun of G.A.S.!

As it so happens, the 2 Richmond Belmonts I was staking out were sold, too.

I may have to mosey by GC just to see if the Norns are still there...

#2452537 - 11/27/12 03:00 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I moseyed...turns out that the Tres Brujhas were not used, and the price on them was the new sale price. For how long, I don't know. They were out of the Moon phaser, but I bought the Famulus...

...and a Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (11/27/12 03:02 PM)

#2452572 - 11/27/12 07:13 PM Re: Which would you buy? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Hey, let us know how ya like 'em, keep us posted!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose