Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2448329 - 10/28/12 02:20 PM Pedal recommendation
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
A while back, a guy I know wanted to sell a DOD Vibro Thang pedal he had for $25. It was one of those rare occasions where I actually had $25 I could spend, and I asked myself, "how you gonna go wrong for $25?" I got it from him, brought it home, and proceeded to let it sit, untried, for 2 or 3 months.

This morning, I was scheduled to play for the church worship team. As I was getting my stuff together to go, I saw it sitting where I left it, and thought, "why not?" We have a pre-service rehearsal, and I figured I could dial in at least one good sound, or just not use it if it sucked.

Well, the silly thing rocks! It has a pretty decent vibrato sound with lots of nice analog-ish shimmer, and if you turn the two knobs on the right of the pedal all the way off, it's a pretty sweet tremolo too.

DOD pedals are like Digitech(which I think is the same company) pedals, in that they don't seem to get much love from the guitar playing community. But I gotta say that for $25, I made out like a fat rat on this pedal. I did a little searching on the web, and the average Vibro Thang pedal can be had for under $40 used, and I don't think DOD is still making them.

If you're looking for a very useable Univibe clone with the added benefit of a pretty nice tremolo in it for really cheap, get one.

GP Island
#2448342 - 10/28/12 04:10 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: picker]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of the old DOD stuff was nice. Some of their stuff worked well bu usually seemed a little noisy. Some of it sucked. I hated that American Metal pedal. I am still fond of this old DOD 380 compressor. I think it is nosier that a dyna comp but I like the sound of it.

Edited by CEB (10/28/12 04:11 PM)

#2448345 - 10/28/12 04:29 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: picker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: picker
Well, the silly thing rocks! It has a pretty decent vibrato sound with lots of nice analog-ish shimmer, and if you turn the two knobs on the right of the pedal all the way off, it's a pretty sweet tremolo too.

That's great! rawk Gotta love that.

I'll hafta check that out. cool

Hey, here's a cool 'page with several interesting demo-vids using the Vibro Thang in various ways clean, post-overdrive, and pre-overdrive:

Effect Extra - Vibro Thang

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2448368 - 10/28/12 09:37 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I don't know if it's called vibrato or tremolo but I have an old blue DOD Phase pedal that gets great vibrato when you crank the speed up (only has one control knob)... cool

#2448386 - 10/29/12 04:12 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

I looked on Ebay, and the two they had yesterday were more expensive than the site I visited yesterday. I also notices that the graphics on one were different than the one I have, which would seem to imply there was at least one upgrade/change to them. And I visited DOD's website, and they don't show it. In fact, they are only showing three single effect pedals. Guess they just don't sell well.

#2448415 - 10/29/12 08:13 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
The Vibro-Thang was part of a last gasp effort by DOD, it seems. I worked in a store that carried most of the DOD line in the 90's. Somewhere, I still have their little folder/catalog from that time, and it lists around 30 pedals. I think everything has been shifting over to Digitech, for quite a while. Digitech was DOD's digital wing, starting in the 80's, IIRC. I know that the two companies functioned as one for a while - they even had the same address - before Digitech split off, although they're both still under the Harman umbrella. I remember using some of the first double-sized pedals appearing under the Digitech name, long before Boss released the Twin Pedal series. Those 4- & 8-Second Delay pedals were some of the first looping pedals, too, with a dedicated Infinite Repeat switch. Very cool.

For some reason, back in the 80's, DOD never got the respect that Boss, Ibanez or MXR pedals did. I'd see a DOD Chorus on somebody's pedalboard, or maybe the old two-knob FX25 Envelope Filter, but that's about it. Now, those old DOD Envelope Filters are collector's items - you never know.

My personal favorite of the old DOD pedals is the FX52 Classic Fuzz. The name is well-deserved, in this case. Great creamy Big Muff-like tones, without the noise floor. OTOH, it can also get nasty & buzzy, with some ratty SC's - add in some slapback, and work out your favorite Cramps riffs.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2448425 - 10/29/12 08:49 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Mmmmm..."Bikini Girls With Machine Guns"...

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2448438 - 10/29/12 09:30 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: On Canada
Wasn't a huge DOD fan, but I do have a DOD Performer 515-A Sustain and it sounds excellent. Issue is the knobs are very sensitive, so once you find that sweet spot, mark it and forget it. That VibroThang has peeked my curiosity though.

#2448524 - 10/29/12 08:02 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: stamplicker]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
the problem with dod's was that often, they inverted your signal from the input, so the output was out of phase. later ones were better, but some of the early ones were really really bad.

that said, i am a huge fan of them, and they can be had for a song right now...cool additions, AMERICAN made pedals, some do stuff other things can't.

#2448527 - 10/29/12 08:09 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
picker Offline
10k Club

I think I would like to see what the Gonkulater Pedal wouold really do. I briefly piddled with one once, and didn't think much of it. I'd like to give it another chance.

#2448584 - 11/06/12 03:11 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton
the problem with dod's was that often, they inverted your signal from the input, so the output was out of phase. later ones were better, but some of the early ones were really really bad.

that said, i am a huge fan of them, and they can be had for a song right now...cool additions, AMERICAN made pedals, some do stuff other things can't.

Yeah, I'd long associated many- but not all- DOD pedals with a thin, hollow, metallic sort of tone with tinny highs and brittle, overly scooped-out mids.

I did once own an old DOD envelope-filter pedal that I really liked, though. I'm not quite sure whatever happened to it!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2448858 - 11/07/12 06:19 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

the later series dod's really sounded better; i agree, the early ones really didn't sound so good!

#2448947 - 11/08/12 07:41 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I guess I'm kind of the invers of CEB and Larryz: I had a DOD American Metal pedal that, at the time (mid-late 80's) I thought was great. The noise threshold was relatively low, and it brought out a fair amount of harmonics when I needed them for Randy Rhoades/van Halen type stuff.
On the other hand, i hated the DOD Phaser, mainly due to the noise threshold. It was noisey when on, and still noisy when turned off. I ddin't know how to describe it at the time, but as PinkJimi says, the phase inversion may have been the issue (weird to hate a phaser for being out of phase?) I ended up letting my daughter take it to an electronics class to be opened up & disected.

I know some people who do still use those early delays from DOD/Digitech.

#2448954 - 11/08/12 08:03 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Danzilla]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
My DOD phaser is as quite as a mouse Danzilla. It was made somewhere around the year 2000. I used it for about a year or less as I really don't care for phase all that much and it wound up in my old pedal box. About 10 years later I was digging through my old box and thought why the hell did I buy this thing? So I plugged her in and it sounded OK but still didn't thrill me. There is only one speed knob so I didn't have a lot of learning curve to deal with. I cranked it up and to my amazement it came out with this vibrato that sounded as good as the old Fender amps so back on my pedal board it went, and it's still there as I found a better use for it...Now I have a Fender Mustang Floor that gets way better vibrato so it's back in the box for the DOD and the rest of my peadal board. cool

#2448961 - 11/08/12 08:18 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: picker
I think I would like to see what the Gonkulater Pedal wouold really do. I briefly piddled with one once, and didn't think much of it. I'd like to give it another chance.

Picker, if it didn't grab you, it probably won't grow on you. I have the Gonkulator. It's a combination DOD Grunge Distortion with a minimalist Ring Mod. The Smear knob controls the Ring Mod output - turned fully counter-clockwise, you'll only hear the Grunge Distortion effect. The Ring Mod has a fixed internal frequency somewhere around 500Hz, so you can't 'tune' it, at all. It also has a nasty bleed-through - when the pedal is on, you'll hear the constant whine in the background, unless you put a Noise Gate after it.

I still use mine, but I don't expect anything like pristine guitar tones from it. One of my favorite Crapulators, though.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2449719 - 11/12/12 11:05 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Danzilla]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Danzilla
I guess I'm kind of the invers of CEB and Larryz: I had a DOD American Metal pedal that, at the time (mid-late 80's) I thought was great. The noise threshold was relatively low, and it brought out a fair amount of harmonics when I needed them for Randy Rhoades/van Halen type stuff.
On the other hand, i hated the DOD Phaser, mainly due to the noise threshold. It was noisey when on, and still noisy when turned off. I ddin't know how to describe it at the time, but as PinkJimi says, the phase inversion may have been the issue (weird to hate a phaser for being out of phase?) I ended up letting my daughter take it to an electronics class to be opened up & disected.

I know some people who do still use those early delays from DOD/Digitech.

a phaser is more like a tone control being swept against the dry signal kinda, not actually out of phase. out of phase means what goes in comes out the mirror image.

i still use them digitech looper/sampler/delay pedals sometimes. love 'em, can be a lot of fun.

#2449722 - 11/12/12 11:09 AM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: Winston Psmith]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

i didn't like the gonkulator at all. if you want tweezed, it's a neat toy to play with once in a while, but it's no meat and potatoes thing, for sure. you can't get "normal" out of it.

the supra distortions too were pretty good. the later digitech modern metal pedals are surprisingly good. thinking about taking one of 'em and putting it in a wah shell with the tone control being swept by the treadle; nice formants, very vocal fuzz wah that way. wink

their envelope filters were pretty good too, if you dial 'em in right, you can completely control them via your right hand.

#2451702 - 11/21/12 02:11 PM Re: Pedal recommendation [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Mikhael Offline

The one DOD pedal I really like is the Milkbox compressor. It has more gain than you need, and will get bloody noisy at extreme settings. But I use it for a little extra gain and compression for lead work, and it's fantastic for that. I got a Keely unit, thinking it would be better, but it wasn't. Not for me, anyway. I've got a couple of them now, because they're cheap, and I can switch them out if something happens to one.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose