Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2448313 - 10/28/12 12:20 PM Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's?
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Wondering if anybody here has heard or is using the Lace dog ear P90 sized Alumitone pickup? I'm looking for a noiseless alternative to the P90s in an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe I picked up recently.
Thanks,

GP Island
#2448324 - 10/28/12 01:36 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Scott, I have a set of Lace Alumitone P90s, but they aren't dog ear mounted. I put them in my Flying V for a while. They are noiseless, and they have good output. They DON'T sound like P90s, or any other p/up I've heard. They sound like Lace Alumitones, they've got their own thing going on. They sound a tad sterile, which is not really being fair because it sounds like I'm downing them, and I don't really mean to. I read that they pass a wider band of freqs, giving them a more high-fidelity sound, and I think that must be true. I'd like to hear them as part of an acoustic/electric p/up system, in conjunction with a piezo and/or microphone. I took them out of my V because I wanted to go back to the original tone. I don't have anything to put them in,and don't anticipate getting anything in the near future, so if you wanna get a set(two of them), I'd sell you mine for $50 each, which is exactly half-price. Let me know if you want 'em.

#2448332 - 10/28/12 02:42 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: picker]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Scott, I have a set of Lace Alumitone P90s, but they aren't dog ear mounted. I put them in my Flying V for a while. They are noiseless, and they have good output. They DON'T sound like P90s, or any other p/up I've heard. They sound like Lace Alumitones, they've got their own thing going on. They sound a tad sterile, which is not really being fair because it sounds like I'm downing them, and I don't really mean to. I read that they pass a wider band of freqs, giving them a more high-fidelity sound, and I think that must be true. I'd like to hear them as part of an acoustic/electric p/up system, in conjunction with a piezo and/or microphone. I took them out of my V because I wanted to go back to the original tone. I don't have anything to put them in,and don't anticipate getting anything in the near future, so if you wanna get a set(two of them), I'd sell you mine for $50 each, which is exactly half-price. Let me know if you want 'em.

Yeah, if they fit I'd be very interested. I actually would need 3, but two's a good start. Since I've never had a P90 equipped guitar before I'm not stuck on having any preconceived P90 sound, & the depiction of them being "high-fidelity" is in line with the demos I've heard of the Alumitone single coils. It's the noiselessness & cleanliness that is a prime factor for me, rather than recreating any existing known sound. This is for a jazz archtop so a really clean sound is appropriate. So, a question for all the experts, does a normal P90 fit in the dog ear housing? Is it just a different surrounding case for the same raw pickup?
Thx,

#2448337 - 10/28/12 03:53 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: picker

Yeah, if they fit I'd be very interested. I actually would need 3, but two's a good start. Since I've never had a P90 equipped guitar before I'm not stuck on having any preconceived P90 sound, & the depiction of them being "high-fidelity" is in line with the demos I've heard of the Alumitone single coils. It's the noiselessness & cleanliness that is a prime factor for me, rather than recreating any existing known sound. This is for a jazz archtop so a really clean sound is appropriate. So, a question for all the experts, does a normal P90 fit in the dog ear housing? Is it just a different surrounding case for the same raw pickup?
Thx,

On "normal" P-90's, there are a few little differences that are pretty easily dealt with if converting from "soap-bar" to "dog-ear" covers and mounting; but, these Alumitone V90's might be a wild-card in this respect. Sorry I can't give you any better info than that, Scott!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2448344 - 10/28/12 04:22 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
On "normal" P-90's, there are a few little differences that are pretty easily dealt with if converting from "soap-bar" to "dog-ear" covers and mounting; but, these Alumitone V90's might be a wild-card in this respect. Sorry I can't give you any better info than that, Scott!

I have an email in to Lace to see if they can illuminate the situation.
Thanks,

#2448369 - 10/28/12 09:48 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Speaking of P90's, can you guys tell me if Epiphone P90's are as good as Gibson P90's? Semour Duncan makes a P90 and I wonder how they compare to Epiphone/Gibson P90's? The SD's only come in black...are the dog-ear covers interchangable?

#2448371 - 10/28/12 10:32 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Wouldn't that be, 'Alumanate'... ? rimshot wink grin thu

Do these pickups Alumanate hum? rimshot wink grin thu

#2448374 - 10/28/12 11:05 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wouldn't that be, 'Alumanate'... ? rimshot wink grin thu

Do these pickups Alumanate hum? rimshot wink grin thu

Caevan! Go to your room! Right now!

#2448388 - 10/29/12 04:29 AM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
ll I can tell you about putting them into any guitar is that the p/ups I have are made to fit in a P90-sized rout. They have two holes for mounting screws in the same spots as a soapbar mounted P90. I would think that a strip of thin metal bent kinda like this ( ]_____[ ) would work for mounting them securely. I don't know how to make that look pretty, perhaps a cutout P90 dogear cover. But that's a lot of fabrication, especially if you don't do that kind of thing much.

#2448409 - 10/29/12 07:54 AM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: picker]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Don't be surprised if you get a call directly from Don Lace.

I had a problem with a set once. I called support and left a message. He called me. He FED Ex'd a new set, and followed up with another call to make sure I was happy.

They Have Great Products.

#2448475 - 10/29/12 12:16 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Next business day response from Lace:
"Hello Scott, and thank you for your email. They should fit. We simply
epoxy the Aluma 90 pups to standard Dog Ear covers."

So I think I'm good to go. Thanks to all.

#2456221 - 12/12/12 10:21 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Scott - I ran across this and thought you'd dig.

Alumitone Dry Recordings

#2456228 - 12/13/12 01:16 AM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Terrell]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Did ya try them yet, Scott?

#2456269 - 12/13/12 08:04 AM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I have them (thanks, Picker,) but haven't installed them yet. I've been out on tour, & in any case I will need to machine some adaptors to facilitate mounting. These are designed to be screwed down onto a solid body, & I'm going to putting them on an archtop, where they will hover over an open hole. Some metal fabricating will be involved. Just need time with no pesky clients trying to book the studio.

#2456305 - 12/13/12 09:40 AM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Well, I have them (thanks, Picker,) but haven't installed them yet. I've been out on tour, & in any case I will need to machine some adaptors to facilitate mounting. These are designed to be screwed down onto a solid body, & I'm going to putting them on an archtop, where they will hover over an open hole. Some metal fabricating will be involved. Just need time with no pesky clients trying to book the studio.

Cool. Try and document the process with pics or vids, and keep us posted... cool

#2569076 - 02/03/14 07:46 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
jageya Offline

Hi... have you put the pickups in yet and have any opinions on them? thanx

#2569086 - 02/03/14 09:04 PM Re: Anybody using Lace Aluma V90's? [Re: jageya]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Welcome aboard jageya! Good question...old...but good...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose