Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2447305 - 10/22/12 09:06 PM Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects
Joe Grasso Offline

Loc: Peoria, AZ
I'm sure this is pretty much personal opinion, but, I'm 53, getting back into music. In the past, I had a host of different pedals for different sounds. I'm running a American Standard Strat through a Vox AC4. Walked into a guitar shop to find a reverb pedal, and they had a used RP100 for 39 bucks. I thought Cool!... More for the money! Well, maybe I'm just too old, but you almost have to be a programmer, and it seems like you use multiple effects combined at all times. Am I alone with these thoughts? It does have a vast array of choices...too much of a good thing? Probably going to get some single pedals and a board! What are some other opinions?

GP Island
#2447306 - 10/22/12 09:12 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Joe Grasso]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Personally, I use Korg Pandoras & the like for practice, and a carpet of single pedals to play with? grin

But I can see and agree that a MEFX pedal is a great way to get back onto the hobby, especially if you're on a budget.

The trick, I'm told, is to almost never use the presets!

As was said earlier today in another thread, about another MEFX pedal:
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
The Digitech RP 90 is a good pedal, you have to learn how to program your own sounds on such units. I have had many modelers in the past, and not one of them ever gave me a good factory loaded preset sound that suited my taste. But after learning how to program them to my taste, I got some good sounds out of any one of them.

The first thing you do with said factory presets is take all of the effects off of the basic amp model. Then you EQ that model until it sounds good to your ears, and then you add some effects lightly to your own taste. But it is best to add only a few effects per model. Then you can tweak slightly on each item including the EQ settings as you add things. You probably will have to spend a good half hour on each preset to tweak it to your own taste. Remember this, less is better than dripping wet with all kinds of effects.

After editing a preset you can save the new amp model in the user banks and name it yourself. That way your edits are always there for you to recall.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/22/12 09:14 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2447330 - 10/23/12 12:13 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Joe Grasso]
Perkunas Offline

As a person with feet planted firmly in both camps I would profer the following advice.

If you are a single genre player then it's a matter of building a rig to suit the genre. Here, the individual stomp box rules. Also the choice of guitar and amp.

If you are a wanderer that likes to play country one day and indulge in a bit of Metallica the next day then the multi fx is the way to go.

It's a "buyer beware" situation there as you have found. The programming can be a pain. As Danny has pointed out it is a matter of learning how to "clear the boards" and start again with these devices.

Technically, you have chosen well. The starting point would be to get a sound that you like as far as your guitar and amp are concerned and add fx from the unit, a little bit of reverb, some chorus. (There should be a way of converting the foot pedals into stomp boxes a la Boss.)

BTW, I am not a fan of Digitech.

Cheers

#2447332 - 10/23/12 12:33 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Perkunas]
Perkunas Offline

Just read the pdf manual for the 100. Doesn't seem to be a way of making the unit transform into a stomp boxes.

#2447371 - 10/23/12 06:48 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Perkunas]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
It's another of those "6 of one, half-dozen of the other" situations. Pedals are easy to operate and understand - reach down, turn a knob, you're good. Multis give you access to lot of sounds, at the price of some work to get those sounds. If you really just need one kind of sound, you can probably get there with a few pedals. I'm a long-time pedal geek, because when I started playing, there were no multi-effects, period. Now, I use multis for a wide range of tones, and ease of transport - I'd need a really big truck to haul all the gear I can emulate with my multi-effects boxes. OTOH, I love programming the things, and digging deep into sound design, in part because I'm after dense, complex sounds. Think Muse, King Crimson, or Mars Volta, and you'll get the idea. A lot of players don't really need all that stuff.

It's hard to go wrong with a good OD/Dist, a Phaser or Flanger, a Delay pedal and a Wah, but you're looking at very nearly the cost of a decent multi-effects, to get just four pedals - $100 or so for an OD, $75 to 100 for a Phaser or Flanger, $125-150 for a Delay, about $70 for a Wah. Multis can be less expensive, but that's only a benefit if you really use the thing. More to the point, you're better off spending $400 to get a bunch of pedals you'll use all the time, as opposed to spending the same $400 on a multi-fx you can hardly use, or understand.

BTW, I used to work in a place that sold all the Digitech RP series, and I have to say, the less expensive models, like the RP100, weren't very impressive, or flexible. You shouldn't judge all multis, even all Digitech multis, based on those, they were really intended as entry-level devices.

Edited by WinstonPsmith (10/23/12 06:49 AM)
Edit Reason: sp.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2447380 - 10/23/12 07:30 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hey, Joe! (Where you goin' with that gun in your hand?)

I too have a Vox AC4, and love it. Wouldn't mind getting a second one to run stereo.

As to effects, I prefer the variety of multiple stomp boxes. I've picked them all based on their individual strengths, and what I want them to do, to get "my sound", whatever that may be. I feel kind of stupid bringing a pedal board bigger (and more expensive) than my amp, but so be it.

For home practice, if you already have a multi FX unit, I'd live with that and learn to tweak it. But if you're playing out, even with other people at a jam, and have the $ to get some individual stomps you test & like, go for a set of pedals.

Wishing you much success and joy in the journey of testing some boxes. Let us know what you decide.

#2447383 - 10/23/12 07:55 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Danzilla]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
I have both , and personally I only use the wah pedals I own. I have an sgx nitro with a x-15 foot controller with one rig , and its a great multi efx unit that will confuse you to death. And I have like dozen pedals some really old vintage and some newer that I use with anouther guitar rig. And yet at the end of the day I really only have one sound . And mostly its amp driven with one of my wah pedals and little reverb. But with that said I am trying to get a new jazz sound , wich means new guitar , new amp and some other toys .

If I had to choose on a Vox style amp. A wah , then a tube screamer , and a analogue delay ( set up tight like reverb) .

Multi efx are just too much of a headache.

Lok

#2447395 - 10/23/12 08:55 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Lokair]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I use the Fender Mustang Floor multi pedal and have been selling off my other pedals as I just don't use them anymore...but I am keeping a few of my favorites like my Tech21 Blonde and my MXR Carbon Copy just in case...

#2447411 - 10/23/12 09:44 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Lokair]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
HI Joe, welcome aboard. How many effects and what sort do you want to use? If you're going for a boatload of different sounds, and you don't want to be kneeling down/bending over after every song to twist knobs for the next one, a multi FX pedal can be a God send. The learning curve on programming them can vary quite a bit, but it's not as bad as it seems just looking at it. If you didn't get the manual, 9 out of ten of them can be downloaded, and they make learning how to deal with the job much easier.

The biggest problem I see with multi FX units is that you might not care much for the sound of some of the FXs in them. The patches that are pre-programmed into them are meant to show off the capabilities of the unit, and most of them aren't really usable. I started off trying to modify/tweak the patches, and about the time I was getting them where I wanted, the whole patch would start to sound crummy. It would seem that some of them are majorly interdependent upon the settings of the individual FXs in the patches to sound the way they do. My advise is to start fresh & keep the FXs set minimally if you are using more than one or two per patch. Avoid the temptation to create a separate patch for each song that seem to haunt people who use multi FX units. It's a never ending struggle to get each patch to work right, because every time you move to a different room(rehearsal space, jam location, gig, etc), they sound different. And somehow, with all those different sounds just sitting right there waiting for you, it seems wasteful not to use as many of them as you can somehow, but your best bet is to work up between 4 & 8 patches to use. Trust me, you'll preserve your sanity.

I was asked once that if money was no object and I could buy whatever I wanted to, would I go with individual boxes or a multi-FX. My answer was that, if money was no object I would have BOTH. There are things either option offers that the other doesn't. For max number of options available, easy setup, keeping the settings the way they were the last time you used the box, changing the whole sound with the tap of one footswitch, and minimal stage footprint, multi-FX are the bomb. For getting the sound you want, easy adjustability on the fly, and simplicity of setup & use, individual boxes are the way to go.

I did read that some companies are making software-based pedal units that allow you to download programming into them that makes the pedal do what it does. You can have one be a fuzz one day, change it to a delay or flange or whatever the next, and make it into something entirely different the day after that. Devi Ever is even planning on providing developer software for folks who want to DIY their sounds. It sounds like some very exciting possibilities are on the horizon for FX users. It also sounds like a whole new batch of headaches, problems and arguments are on the way in... rimshot

#2447421 - 10/23/12 10:05 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
I did read that some companies are making software-based pedal units that allow you to download programming into them that makes the pedal do what it does. You can have one be a fuzz one day, change it to a delay or flange or whatever the next, and make it into something entirely different the day after that.

Amusingly, the front runner in this- at least to my mind- is DigiTech.

Their IPB-10 line lets you download pedal and cabinet simulator model into their app on your iPad, which you can then use like a super-MEFX pedal. It looks stupid easy to use. It can be used without the iPad, but you can't change it's settings while being used without one.

http://www.digitech.com/en/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard

It's little cousin, the iStomp, does a similar, but scaled down trick with pedals only. Unlike the IPB-10, you don't have to mount your mobile device IN the pedal. And it works with all iOS devices (not just iPads)...and costs about 1/3 of the IPB-10.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/istomp

From what I understand, the downloadable sim modules are only a few bucks apiece.

(Yeah...I want one or both...)

I just looked- I thought that the iPB-10 was limited to DigiTech pedals. I was wrong! Here's a list of its initial 87 pedal models (I can't find a list of its amp & cabinet models):

Quote:

Wah:
DigiTech® Full Range
Dunlop® Cry Baby™ Wah
Vox® Clyde McCoy™ Wah

Compression:
Boss® CS-2 Compressor/Sustainer
DigiTech® Compressor
MXR® Dynacomp™
Noise Gate:
DigiTech® Auto Swell Gate
DigiTech® Noise Gate

Distortion:
Arbiter® Fuzz Face
Boss® DS-1 Distortion
Boss® MT-2 Metal Zone®
Boss® OD-1 Overdrive
Boss® SD-1 Overdrive
DOD® 250 Overdrive/Preamp
DOD® Classic Fuzz™
DOD® Gonkulator Ring Modulator
Demeter™ Fuzzulator™
DigiTech® Amp Driver
DigiTech® Death Metal™
DigiTech® Grunge®
DigiTech® Redline Overdrive
Electro-Harmonix® Big Muff Pi®
Guyatone Overdrive OD-2
Ibanez® Modified TS-9
Ibanez® TS-808 Tube Screamer™
Ibanez® TS-9 Tube Screamer™
MXR® Distortion +
ProCo Rat™
Roger Mayer Octavia
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Chorus:
Boss® CE-2 Chorus
DigiTech® Dual Chorus
DigiTech® Glistening Chorus
DigiTech® Multi-Chorus
Electro Harmonix® Small Clone
TC Electronics® Chorus
Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus

Flanger:
ADA™ Flanger
DigiTech® Filter Flanger
DigiTech® Flanger
DigiTech® Triggered Flanger
Electro Harmonix® Electric Mistress™
MXR® Flanger

Phaser:
DigiTech® Phaser
DigiTech® Triggered Phaser
Electro Harmonix® Small Stone™
MXR® Phase 100

Pitch:
Boss® OC-2 Octaver™
DigiTech® Detune
DigiTech® Harmony Pitch
DigiTech® Pitch Shift
DigiTech® Whammy™

Vibrato/Rotary:
DigiTech® Panner
DigiTech® Rotary
DigiTech® Vibrato
DigiTech® Vibro / Pan
Unicord Uni-Vibe™

Tremolo:
DigiTech® ScatterTrem – Dual tremolo
DigiTech® Tremolo
Fender® Opto Tremolo™
Vox® Bias Tremolo

Envelope:
DOD® FX25 Envelope Filter
DigiTech® Auto Yah™
DigiTech® Envelope Filter
DigiTech® Sample & Hold
DigiTech® Step Filter
DigiTech® Synth Talk™
DigiTech® YaYa™

EQ:
3-Band EQ

Delay:
2-Tap Delay
Analog Delay
Boss® DM-2 Analog Delay
Digital Delay
Lo Fi Delay
Maestro™ Echoplex EP-2
Modulated Delay
Pong Delay
Reverse Delay
Tape Delay

Reverb:
EMT® 240 Plate Reverb
Fender® Twin Spring Reverb™
Lexicon® Ambience
Lexicon® Hall
Lexicon® Room
Lexicon® Studio

Volume:
Volume Pedal

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/23/12 10:33 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2447901 - 10/25/12 12:59 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Funk Jazz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Planet Utah
I use both, and switch around depending on the gig needs. I end up using my Line6 M9 about 80% of the time just because it's easy to operate, has a ton of options, and I really like the compressors and reverbs it has (basically all I use it for).

The other thing about the M9, is that it's like using stomp boxes, without all the programming BS. You CAN get deep into tweaking if you want, but it isn't necessary to get good sounds.

YMMV

#2447971 - 10/25/12 11:01 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Funk Jazz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think when you get to the level of good sounding, reliable multi-fx units (Fender Mustang Floor, Vox ToneLab, Yamaha DG, Line 6 POD floor and M13 or whatever) you're about at the same price as a bunch of stomp boxes.

It's just personal preference... I'm a stompbox junkie, myself, and it's fun.

#2448147 - 10/27/12 08:38 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: p90jr]
ThisSiteSucks Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Out of my mind
I'm in the same boat as the OP. And I was just sitting here going over what I want "on the floor" vs what I need/want.

For example, how many times are you going to "stomp on" your compressor? chorus? delay? To me, these are the set it and forget it effects.

So I'm thinking G Major2 rack unit for that stuff and out front going with distortion, tuner, wah, boost and that's about it..KISS.

Bad thing is, G Major is about $500. Is it as good as 5 or 7 separate pedals? Probably not....so many choices, so little money frown

For now, I"m getting an OCD, ST 200 tuner and Cyrbaby wah. About $300 delivered and should last me forever (hopefully). With a Blues Deluxe RI, it should give me a nice range of sounds to start with.

Edited by Rootstonian (10/27/12 08:45 AM)

#2448160 - 10/27/12 10:07 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: ThisSiteSucks]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
I am 54 and just sold my MULTI- pedal board....meaning many pedals on one board.
Sure, it was nice but heavy as hell and I just got tired of it.

So...being old school with my Strats and Tele and great sounding Fender Tube amps....I got the Boss ME-70.

Why do I have this particular pedal?
Because I love my amps' sounds, I use EFFECTS only and do not want a programmng nightmare.
But...this pedal DOES allow you to program many effects SCENARIOS very simply.

For example....on a pedal board, every time you want to change your effects, you have to stoop down and start turning knobs, testing the sound till you get what you want...right in front of the audience.

With the ME-70....you change your settings before hand, mostly by turning knobs like on a small pedal...and hit SAVE....END OF STORY.
To rechange them on the fly....you simply turn the knob and hit SAVE AGAIN.
THAT SIMPLE.

But....the ME-70 does have REVERB and SUSTAIN....and some gain & amp models and such...just in case you want them.
You can also turn on and off the individual effects....with their own actuator.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4mic3Jp8c

Check this out when you have time.
Good luck.

Randy

Edited by Strategery (10/27/12 10:24 AM)

#2450047 - 11/13/12 06:04 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Strategery]
Joe Grasso Offline

Loc: Peoria, AZ
...I just recently checked out a Zoom G3! I think as far as multis go, it's pretty cool!...set up as 3 different stomps, has any one had any experience with one?

#2450251 - 11/14/12 02:47 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Joe Grasso]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
I was into the multi's for a long time. Zooms, specifically. Lotsa bang for the buck, some decent sounds, albeit in a sea of crappy ones. The build quality put me off them. Sometimes, a 300 lb guy just doesn't step daintily enough.... Had the same issue with a great sounding, but cheezily built Dano boost pedal. If the case ain't steel, don't make the deal. My TS is over 25 years old, and still works flawlessly. I played 3 nights in the past 10 days with only the TS, EV Nano Compressor, Line6 Modulator unit and a recently acquired DOD dist pedal into my ancient PTP amp. I lacked for nothing. The other fx are nice, but are ancillary to the tone I need. I don't miss the 100 + presets.

#2450273 - 11/14/12 04:37 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Joe Grasso]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Joe Grasso
Walked into a guitar shop to find a reverb pedal, and they had a used RP100 for 39 bucks. I thought Cool!... More for the money! Well, maybe I'm just too old, but you almost have to be a programmer, and it seems like you use multiple effects combined at all times. Am I alone with these thoughts? It does have a vast array of choices...too much of a good thing? Probably going to get some single pedals and a board! What are some other opinions?

I have had modelers like the PodXT and Digitech RP2000 and GNX2. and a Tonelab tabletop. All nice units. I prefer a few pedals, I use only overdrive units a tuner and a Digitech Reverb stomp. I still have the GNX2 and the Tonelab. The GNX2 has not felt electricity for 3 or 4 years and the Tonelab is hooked to my recording computer for occasional use. Programming the multi efx pedals is easy once you delve into them.

#2450389 - 11/15/12 08:46 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: desertbluesman]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
imho, you're gonna get more milage and better tone with a couple of stompboxes if you intend to play live. modelers are great for recording, but i've yet to hear one sound good into an amp unless it was earsplitting loud.

hint: crank the midrange on your amp, adjust from 50% point treble and bass to taste. will make a huge difference in the "realness" of the tone.

#2450469 - 11/15/12 03:01 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Joe Grasso]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Joe Grasso
...I just recently checked out a Zoom G3! I think as far as multis go, it's pretty cool!...set up as 3 different stomps, has any one had any experience with one?

I haven't played one of these, but I really like the idea. Looks like a good mix of options with simple operation. It does seem like more companies are doing this kind of thing.

I use a line 6 M13 because it has a heap of effects, but you simply chose the ones you want and assign them to stomp switches with instantly accessible knobs to edit on the fly.

Let us know how you go...

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2451700 - 11/21/12 01:59 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: ThisSiteSucks]
Mikhael Offline

Originally Posted By: Rootstonian

So I'm thinking G Major2 rack unit for that stuff and out front going with distortion, tuner, wah, boost and that's about it..KISS.

Bad thing is, G Major is about $500. Is it as good as 5 or 7 separate pedals? Probably not....so many choices, so little money frown

I think it's better than a bunch of pedals. I go from guitar > wireless > DOD Milkbox (compressor) > Morley vol/wah > amp. FX loop out > Rocktron compressor/hush (for lead boost, not comp) > G-Major > FX loop in. The G-Major is wonderfully clean and transparent, and you can tweak the sounds just the way you want them. Plus, it has a relay output that switches amps channels for me. All that's controlled by a Rolls MidiBuddy pedal.

What this means is that once it's set up, one button push switches everything. It's dirt simple to operate, though it took some time to get it there. Setup is really easy, and the sound is marvelous. So for me, a combination of pedals and multi-FX works great. It took some time to think it out and program it, but now I have a simple two-channel amp AND programmable FX, AND I don't have to tap-dance to change a bunch of things at once.

Best of both worlds...

#2451709 - 11/21/12 03:09 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Mikhael]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The RP-200 would have been a better deal, it has wah and a pedal that can do various tasks depending upon what the effect is.

I have a couple of multieffects pedals, for convenience and certain effects.

When I'm in the studio I use boutique pedals, because I care about the sound. I've only got a few... a Fulltone DejaVu2 and Clyde and '69, a Reverend Drivetrain, a Radial Hot British, an SIB Mr Echo, and a Peterson StroboStomp.

But when I go out to jam or play a gig, I'm more likely to take a multieffects pedal.

I can tell you this... those RP pedals are intimidating at first, and the stock sounds are way over the top. But if you spend a few minutes with the manual, setting up your own effects is easy. I set up basically four effects...a chorus, a boost, a wah, and a slapback echo. That is enough for me. It only takes about 20 minutes to do, and you'll get some value from your RP 100 if you take the time to make it 'your' sound rather than the stock sounds. They were made to impress a 16 year old and his dad when they walk into Guitar center to buy the kid his first guitar.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#2451763 - 11/22/12 07:31 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Mikhael]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
I've been using the Boss GT series boards for about 8 years. Right now I have a GT-10 and I love it. People are always coming up between sets and complimenting the tone I get with this. Yes, as stated earlier, there is a learning curve, but once you've mastered it you're golden. I only use about 7 or 8 different settings, and some of those are only slightly different, and the tone is marvelous.IMHO

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2451779 - 11/22/12 09:05 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: SEHpicker]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I've got a turkey in the oven, pumpkin pie and cheesecake and butternut squash already ready already, with stuffing and glazed carrots and mashed potatoes and gravy and peas and biscuits on the horizon; yeah, I guess I'm a separate pedals kind of a guy... wink

No, really, seriously, both- particularly pedals in front of a multi-effects/modeler, with a real-live tube-amp in parallel. cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2451792 - 11/22/12 09:55 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
GOBBLE GOBBLE PILGRIM...It's Multies for me... cool

Edited by Larryz (11/22/12 09:57 AM)

#2451846 - 11/22/12 04:47 PM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Both. I would really like to upgrade my multi to the Roland GR-55 but i cant cost justify it this year.

For what its worth last week we opened for an act out of Nashville and the front man played a tele thru a M13 into a Fender hr Deluxe. Sounded good to me.

Edited by CEB (11/22/12 04:53 PM)

#2451905 - 11/23/12 10:17 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
CEB, keep in mind that you'll need a 13-pin pickup, like the Roland GK-3, to drive the GR-55, or else you'll have to get a guitar that's already set up with a hex pickup, like the Godin Freeway SA, or the new version of the Roland-ready Strat, the VG-3, IIRC. From all reports, the Godin is a superior instrument, with a superior hex pickup system. If you do decide to get a GK-3, the quickest and easiest installation is going to be a on a Strat, or Strat-style guitar.

It does seem like Roland dumbed down some aspects of the GT-100, while beefing up the FX & Modeling functions in the GR-55, enough so I chose the recently-discontinued GT-10 over the newly arrived GT-100. I'd love to check out the GR-55, but I can't quite make that $700 leap, either.

BTW, the Line 6 M13 is a really different device from the GT-series processors. It's an effects-only multi, no amp models, no speaker emulators, and you can only dial up 4 effects at one time. Think of your classic Wah-OD-Mod-Delay configuration - more like an advanced digital stompbox rig, than a fully loaded multi-fx.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2451906 - 11/23/12 10:28 AM Re: Separate pedals, vs. mufti effects [Re: Winston Psmith]
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had the GraphTech Ghost MIDI pickup installed into one of my guitars. Works a lot better than my Roland pickup, usues the same 13 pin cable.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose