Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2446867 - 10/21/12 06:22 AM Rhodes love/hate thread
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NC, USA
Yeah, we've done it before, so thanks in advance Sven for the google lesson. ;-)

The Rhodes.
Originally Posted By: piano39
Originally Posted By: learjeff
I am sure that the electric pianos in newer Korgs, Kurzweils, Nords, etc also blow away the real thing.
Nope.

They have their benefits:
- convenience
- no noise
- always in tune, no breaking tines
- faster/lighter action

But they're all limited in some way that the original beasts aren't. Of course, you're right that the original beasts are not all alike.

Please explain. You listed 4 or 5 reasons why the newer boards are better, but you say that they are limited. How are they limited?

It's a fair question, and I confess I have a hard time really nailing the answer, but the best I can say is that I can get a wider dynamic range and range of tones from my Rhodes than I can from any imitation I've played. In addition, there are other Rhodes pianos I've played that are remarkably different from mine, and get great sounds my Rhodes can't get (most notably, ones with Raymac tines).

I know a bit about Rhodes samples, having sampled my own Rhodes three times -- and probably will do a fourth. I also have the Scarbee sample set, which is generally considered one of the best sample sets. (For a long time it was clearly the best; now it's a contender.)

Now, some people like what I'd call "flaws": the sounds Harold would have left out if he could, without increasing the cost and complexity. For example, release sounds and pedal squeak. I'll admit that those can sometimes add nuance. For those who are a big fan of these things, the attempts at recreating them aren't terribly accurate. But, I'm not a big fan of these, so I won't even bother to criticize the recreations on this front.

Few sample sets "honk" as much as I like my Rhodes to honk: Scarbee definitely doesn't. NE Rhodes does, but it gets there far too easily. (That's mostly a keyboard/controller issue, admittedly.) But there's something I can't put my finger on about the NE Rhodes that it gets lost in the mix unless it's too loud. Both my real Rhodes and my own sample set are complete opposites: I can play them at a relatively low volume and they're still very alive and clear. I wish I could put my finger on why, but I can't overcome with with any EQ or FX.

There are some Rhodes imitations that aren't replacements for the Rhodes, but are really great musically, and sometimes better than the real thing. A good example is Roland FP4 "epiano" patch. It sounds "rhodes-ish", and is very useful for both comping and leads. I like it a lot. But it doesn't "blow away" a real Rhodes, not by a long shot.

For decades, I usually plugged my Rhodes directly into a mixer, added light stereo chorus, and played through a small PA (along with my CP70 and whatever synths I had at the time). I boosted the upper mids to bring out the tine ring. I got a great light/clear tone that just sang out, very rich and full. I captured most of this in my soundfont (my favorite version of which even has a better stereo chorusing effect built in). The soundfont is also better because when I'm not playing it, it doesn't hiss like crazy, and every note sample is de-noised as well. After decades of using the real beast, I knew what I didn't like about it and how to fix it, and I did. For that particular sound, I do like my sample set better than the real thing, usually.

But I could also back off on the gain and thwack those keys, getting a hot rich tone. I failed at recreating that, despite my best efforts, and I'm still not quite sure why (though I have ideas). I was even using the same TASCAM hi-z mic preamps that I'd used most of those years, so that isn't the reason.

Today I usually play my Rhodes through my Fender Blues Deluxe, or else into my computer with Scuffman S-Gear. Side by side with any of the Nord Rhodes that I can load on my NE2, there's really no contest: the real thing sounds better (albeit noisier, especially when not being played).

I wish I knew why.

I've heard the Kronos Rhodes is great; haven't tried that but hope to someday. I have tried many ROMpler Rhodes patches; most of them annoy me but some are lovely. My old Ensoniq MR76 has a really sweet "suitcase piano" patch, which is a sampling of the old Raymac tines. It gets sounds I can't get from my real Rhodes (but doesn't do things a real Raymac Rhodes could do, because the limitations of a 3 velocity layer sample set).

I've played most of Guido S's emulations, like MrRay. How cool are those! But they don't quite nail the authentic tone. Loung Lizard is an interesting instrument, but a non-starter to someone who's used to a Rhodes. I'm looking forward to trying that NeoSoul Rhodes, which sounds right up my alley, and also the broken Rhodes. Maybe there is one out there that's all the things a real instrument can be, but I just haven't tried it yet.

In any case, with modern gear, we don't have to limit ourselves to a single Rhodes: we can have a number of them. None of them might be quite the thing a particular (good) real Rhodes is, but they're definitely good enough that I don't gig with my Rhodes -- I only haul it out rarely, maybe for a jazz jam where I'm playing only Rhodes (and which would be better if I could actually play jazz) or a Keyboard Corner hang.

That's my take. What's yours? Go for it: pour out your love and/or hate for this old classic, and compare/contrast it with the attempts to recreate it.

KC Island
#2446871 - 10/21/12 06:42 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
I loved both three Rhodes pianos i owned, but i sold them all with no remorse-considering the weigh, keybed problems, lack of parking in my city and lack of space in my studio. So i stick to my Electro 2 and Scarbee samples that live in my macbook, and i'm very happy with the results. I know i'm 95% there soundwise, without having to carry the beast. I'm particularly happy when i pack my instruments after the gig and don't have to beg for help from my bandmates.
If i were rich i would probably buy another one to have it near my Porta-B Hammond/Leslie in the studio. But i'm not...

#2446875 - 10/21/12 07:22 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: yannis D]
Nillerbabs Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Denmark
Never owned one, never want to gig one. If, one day, I start seriously recording at home, it's probably one of the first things I'll get. I just walked out of the studio, and their Rhodes, despite a few inconsistent keys, once again proved to me that a Rhodes does something that I've never experienced a sample do. For a lot of gigs a sample will cut it, but I've made recordings once with a Nord, and I won't do it again until I see radical improvement (then there's the issue with the outdated Nord samples, but that's a different story entirely). There's also the factor of the very feeling of playing the instrument. Inexplicably, I play differently on a Rhodes than on an emulation, and it doesn't only come down to key touch.

I'm excited to see what samples Nord will come up with; I'm confident it's a matter of time. I've owned Nords for so long that I will not settle for an inferior interface, what I do outside the keys is just so much more musical and instantaneous. I am reluctant to play an emulation in jazz, maybe that's conservatism. So I'm looking for a Wurlitzer.

So to sum up for my part, the technological progression is exciting, but there's just something about those instruments. Have a nice day.

Edited by Nillerbabs (10/21/12 07:23 AM)

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

#2446883 - 10/21/12 09:19 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Nillerbabs]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
When I got rid of my second Wurlitzer (the first one was stolen), I got a Rhodes and went, "Yeah!" smile It was SO superior as a *musical* instrument. It was an alive entity. Every time I play a well-regulated Rhodes I have a large smile on my face. And I like the new Rhodes, the Mark VII, even better.

But for practical purposes, I play Rhodes samples, both live and in recordings. By combining a few different samples on the Kurzweil, I have been able to achieve a sound that would fool most listeners. I have sold my Rhodes many years ago.

But of course it's not the same; it could never be. A picture of a house is never the house itself. You can Photoshop it and make it even better looking than the original - but you can never walk into the house on the picture. In the same way, you can tweak samples to build your ideal Rhodes, but the result will be your ideal imitation of a Rhodes.

I appreciate sampling heavy/delicate/expensive instruments, when there's no alternative.... but it's never the same thing.

#2446885 - 10/21/12 09:26 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Nillerbabs]
b3boy Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: United Kingdom
I'm in the final stages of getting my Mk1 ready for gigging. The last year I have completely changed my musical direction and am going down the Ableton Kaoss Pad route. The main keyboard will be the Rhodes with stuff piled on it. Akai MPK49, KP3, Launchpad.

The thing I love about it is when you get the sound your after after working on it for so long. For me, getting the fundamental with a bit of overtone, with the pickups pretty close has got me where I want it. A little EQ to taste. I run direct into the soundcard. Im one of those who doesnt favour guitar amps.

But the hatred is when you spend that much time working on it, you start getting OCD about getting it perfect. Things like one key having a slightly shorter decay time than the one next to it, and wanting to change the tine even though it's actually not bad at all.

I guess at some point you have to stop yourself and say "you know, this is sounding real good now, you don't need to work on it anymore".

#2446892 - 10/21/12 10:07 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: b3boy]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I played one in the school jazz band. The action sucked but that was most likely a lack of maintenance issue.

The Rhodes in that role was in my mind a portable replacement for an acoustic piano which kind of led me to hate it.

The Rhodes can be hard on your shins if you aint careful.

Edited by CEB (10/21/12 10:14 AM)

#2446895 - 10/21/12 10:19 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: marino]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: marino
When I got rid of my second Wurlitzer (the first one was stolen), I got a Rhodes and went, "Yeah!" smile It was SO superior as a *musical* instrument. It was an alive entity. Every time I play a well-regulated Rhodes I have a large smile on my face. And I like the new Rhodes, the Mark VII, even better.

But for practical purposes, I play Rhodes samples, both live and in recordings. By combining a few different samples on the Kurzweil, I have been able to achieve a sound that would fool most listeners. I have sold my Rhodes many years ago.

But of course it's not the same; it could never be. A picture of a house is never the house itself. You can Photoshop it and make it even better looking than the original - but you can never walk into the house on the picture. In the same way, you can tweak samples to build your ideal Rhodes, but the result will be your ideal imitation of a Rhodes.

I appreciate sampling heavy/delicate/expensive instruments, when there's no alternative.... but it's never the same thing.

"Yeah, my digital piano is just like a Rhodes"

"Sure, until a Rhodes pull up." cool

Edited by daviel (10/21/12 12:14 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2446903 - 10/21/12 11:53 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: David Loving]
yorgatron Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Jose Ca.
I had a Rhodes for a little while. picked it up cheap because it needed some repairs.

but I found a good deal on a Wurlitzer 200, so the Rhodes went on craigslist first thing.
I just never connected with it. the Wurly is more suited to my syle of music anyway, it's not like I'll ever be playing jazz brunch gigs.

#2446906 - 10/21/12 12:11 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: yorgatron]
Steve LeBlanc Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA,UNITED STATES
Firmly in the LOVE camp

#2446907 - 10/21/12 12:13 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: yorgatron]
Karl Sutton Offline

Loc: Mount Juliet, TN
I love my Mark V but never gigged it - didn't love it enough to lug out when I've had a Nord. I also love my Yamaha upright, never gigged it either for the same reason. The digital representations of these instruments have improved, but not enough to replace the original IMO. (If you have room at home for them that is)

#2446909 - 10/21/12 12:28 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Karl Sutton
I love my Mark V but never gigged it - didn't love it enough to lug out when I've had a Nord. I also love my Yamaha upright, never gigged it either for the same reason. The digital representations of these instruments have improved, but not enough to replace the original IMO. (If you have room at home for them that is)

I'd love to take my XK3 classic system with Speakeasy pre and Ventilator and CP33 or PC1x to Thursdays (upstairs but has an elevator) gig. I find it very difficult to pass up an 11 lb. and a 25 lb. instrument in favor of much heavier equipment. I spent all afternoon yesterday messing with putting together a rig for later in the week and ended up, as always, with less is more [XW-P1+ Vent].

#2446932 - 10/21/12 03:07 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: David Loving]
ProfD Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I love the Rhodes sound. Every time I sit down and play one, I think about buying it. But, I walk away knowing that to own a Rhodes would be more nostalgia than anything else.

The reality is, I love EP sounds. Although it is a facsimile, a ROMpler or DP provides me with enough EP samples to come up with composite EP sounds I can dig in a stable and portable package.

Personally, I will always enjoy listening to and playing a real Rhodes. But, I won't cop one and/or gig with it. IMO, the average listerner isn't hung up on whether it is real or Memorex. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2446936 - 10/21/12 03:23 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
I absolutely love mine. Its a 1980 Suitecase, and honestly I love the sound and action. Its not ideal in some ways, I still have some refurbishing and fixing up to do, but the initial character of the sound is great. Plenty of tine sound, but still honks when you smack it, and I can even get a pretty nice growl when I turn it up past 6 or 7 (and 8 or 9 is screamin). Definitely WAY more fun to play than a digital imitation thereof.

#2446941 - 10/21/12 04:06 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: scottasin]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I have a 1979 suitcase and I also have the Roland RD300GX , which I believe has the same Rhodes sample that the FP4 has.

The thing that gets me about the RD300GX is how much like my actual Rhodes this thing behaves. The Rhodes has a very warm sound and it's not barky and nasty at all. You really have to hit it to get it to bark. It has a lot of fundamental in the tone.

So what was interesting to me was that the Roland kind of goes for that effect. It also only barks if you hit it. I think a lot of digital EP's tend to bark to quickly.

But what I relly like about the Roland is how warm it sounds in the lower register.

So honestly, I can live with the Roland because I play a lot of left hand bass and it is so fat you don't even need bass. That is what I miss on most of the real Rhodes. I like the additional bass notes on the Roland. After playing organ and acoustic piano so long I get kind of lost if the lower register notes aren't there.

#2446959 - 10/21/12 06:11 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: LX88]
D-Bon Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Nothing but love. Except for the ones with stiff actions. And +1 on the comments that playing a real Rhodes makes one play differently. Generally, I'm more inspired.

#2446960 - 10/21/12 06:18 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: D-Bon]
reidmc Offline
Gold Member

Loc: God's Country, USA
Really. . .only one reason to hate a Rhodes. . .carrying it to the van.

#2446969 - 10/21/12 07:14 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: reidmc]
A McLeod III Offline

Loc: NawthEastern NC
Originally Posted By: reidmc
Really. . .only one reason to hate a Rhodes. . .carrying it to the van.

Totally in agreement with that. I played a Suitcase 88 for several years but even in that, nothing else responds, feels or sounds like the real thing.

#2446971 - 10/21/12 07:23 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: A McLeod III]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
It looks like I'm responsible (or to blame) for starting this latest battle.

Here's my two cents...
If I had the space and the resources, I wouldn't mind a real Rhodes in my studio. It would have to be hot rodded (Dyno or similar)- factory Rhodes had too many issues.

If I was semi-famous and was touring, I would consider using real Rhodes onstage.

However, I gig a lot locally. My Motif covers the bases really well. Again, The Chick Corea XF patches are incredibly nuanced. Dig in and you get the Rhodes Bark, you can control the tine sounds with the velocity, etc.

But here is the coup de gras: Chick Corea no longer travels with his Rhodes. He uses Motif XF with samples of his piano. Corea has to be on anybody's list as one of the greatest Rhodes players ever. If he has ditched the real thing for a rompler, that is saying something.

#2446993 - 10/21/12 08:31 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: piano39]
mate_stubb Online   content
10k Club

Everybody knows my rants about dead tone, bad action, and heavy weight of my Stage 88 when I had it on the road. I modded the action, hot rodded the electronics, but hated it.

I have played exactly two Rhodes in my lifetime that I enjoyed. They were both Suitcase 73s.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2447009 - 10/21/12 09:23 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: mate_stubb]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
I have played exactly two Rhodes in my lifetime that I enjoyed. They were both Suitcase 73s.

My list is not much better: A Mark I 73 Stage (blown through a Fender twin reverb) belonging to a keyboard player in my Dad's band, an 88 Suitcase that was in my high school jazz band, and a 73 Suitcase that happened to be in a local music store (the guy knew he had a special one and would not budge on the price). That Mark I was truly special, though.

#2447011 - 10/21/12 09:35 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: piano39]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
But here is the coup de gras: Chick Corea no longer travels with his Rhodes. He uses Motif XF with samples of his piano. Corea has to be on anybody's list as one of the greatest Rhodes players ever. If he has ditched the real thing for a rompler, that is saying something.

Exactly. Herbie as well could afford to travel with the perfect tweaked to the nines suitcase 73 but instead opts for a Kronos most often from what I've seen.

Put me in the indifferent camp and that's only because I haven't had to use one for 25 years. Certainly didn't love 'em then but was better then using the dreaded CP70. I guess the lesser of two evils.

What I found interesting was the resurgence of it with the 20, 30 early 40 something generations. Who knows, if something like the rhodes can come around and be in fashion again, maybe that leaves hope that live music will somehow make a return, with wages not mirroring 1985 rates... wink frown

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
I've owned a dozen Rhodes over the years and still have four. I think the love/hate relationship has more to do with genre than anything else. For guys gigging rock during the 70s, many used the Rhodes as a replacement for acoustic piano in many songs. It's understandable why they were never thrilled with the sound. On the other hand if you were doing jazz, fusion, latin, R&B it was the right sound for the music. If you were playing fusion, for example, the Rhodes was THE instrument. You played it every song, all night long..

I didn't own as many rhodes as Busch but I think I owned 5 dating back to the early '70s. Came west to LA in '79 from St. Louis in a '72 Chevy Impala wagon with a Fender Stage 73 in an anvil case along with wife, suitcases and two dogs. cry

I had 2 suitcases, both the 73 & 88. Did a lot of gigging with the 88 which was insane... crazy The last one was another stage 73 that I had the infamous Eddie Reynolds mod on. That sound was so in vogue in LA at the time, you basically couldn't work in any decent musical context unless your rhodes sounded like that.

Like I said in another thread, probably a big reason I've never really liked playing the rhodes or wurly is the fact you have to dumb down your chord voicing on EPs. You cannot play thick cluster type or full two hand voicings and expect them to come out like on acoustic. The action even when tweaked is still like mud. There has never been enough clarity in the sound for me. Octaves in the rh don't have anywhere near the same ring or impact on a ep as acoustic or even a DP.

Also for me, the instrument has a very limited dynamic (and certainly tonal) range that locks me (at least) into playing a certain style..whether it's Chick, Herbie or George Duke. I don't think the instrument's tonal core is well suited for straightahead jazz contexts.

It always seems to work best in Latin, funk, pop/r&b or fusion..and even then I feel like I'm always trying to imitate one of the aforementioned masters. It's great for them but I just find it easier to get *my sound* or personality on acoustic or even a dp; even as big a drag as it can be dealing with those.. wink .

Basically I've been there, done that and hopefully moved on. I really don't want to play music inspired by rhodes or wurly; I will but only for work/$$$. I don't wanna try and *sound* like Chick or Herbie anymore. Essentially I'm 16th note funked, R&Bed and fusioned out big time .... smirk

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2447016 - 10/21/12 10:04 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
Brad Kaenel Offline

Loc: SoCal
Rhodes
Wurlitzer
Hammond
Clavinet
Grand piano

I won't go as far to say that playing the worst real instrument is always more satisfying than playing the best sample or digital simulation, but folks who have grown up with these instruments, gigged with these instruments, even learned to play their first tunes on these instruments, know that the physical and emotional attachment is real and visceral and goes beyond just what they sound like.

I *will* go as far to say that, Chick notwithstanding, if there were no financial, physiological, or practical barriers, folks that love these instruments would always choose to play the real thing, mythical or actual warts, and all.

We love them because they sound unique, because they feel unique, and because we create and experience music in a unique way when we play them.

I love the Rhodes. I may not be a lesser musician, but I'm a lesser player and a lesser entertainer on just about anything else.

#2447032 - 10/21/12 11:08 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Brad Kaenel]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I can muster neither love nor hate for the Rhodes. My admittedly limited experience playing them has never left me wanting more. I've never connected with that instrument the way I've connected with a Wurli, Hammond, Clav or acoustic piano. It's not that I dislike them; I guess I've just never understood what the big deal is. And that's not even considering the schlep factor. The few times I've helped friends move a Rhodes have definitely contributed to my utter lack of desire to own one, including a couple that have been offered to me for next to nothing. So count me among those who are happy to play a good sample/emulation when it's warranted, but are basically apathetic about the "real" experience.

#2447071 - 10/22/12 04:23 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Dave Ferris]
orangefunk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

Also for me, the instrument has a very limited dynamic (and certainly tonal) range that locks me (at least) into playing a certain style..whether it's Chick, Herbie or George Duke. I don't think the instrument's tonal core is well suited for straightahead jazz contexts.

I love the sound of the rhodes in straightahead jazz.... I remember listening to an LP with Hampton Hawes at Montreux in 73 and thought the music could have been made for the rhodes... very bop based..

Also love that many of the modern players are playing it from time to time... used to have a bootleg of Brad Mehldau on rhodes that was great... also I've heard ESTplay their material on rhodes, sounded fab!

#2447079 - 10/22/12 05:07 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: orangefunk]
Karl Sutton Offline

Does anyone else here have (or had) a Mark V? The only other two Rhodes I've played is the one we had at my high school that sat on top of its own big speaker (what would've that been?) and Lynwood's (which is very nice) Just wondering how the Mark V compares to all these others.

#2447084 - 10/22/12 05:34 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
Bosendorphen Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
The several Rhodes I've played since 1976 have either had a really stiff action or really sloppy action; either way it was hard for dynamic control. And the sound was, to quote Brian Auger, "twinkle bells and mud." That said I did help the guitarist in our band find a buy a decent used one (30 years ago) which he took to Berklee with him for composing.

I rarely use e-piano sounds for my music or at gigs; on occasion, sure. Never was a big fan; prefer that ploinky Yammy CP-70 sound.

Soundcloud
Aethellis

#2447107 - 10/22/12 07:37 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
I am on my 4th Rhodes. I sold my first one because the action was too stiff on the hands and the sound didn't work in a rock band with two guitars. Mind you this was back in the early 80s before any portable keyboards with a decent piano sound existed. Yeah there was the Yamaha CP-70 but that was a back breaker and needed tuning every time you moved it!

For a long time I didn't want another Rhodes. From playing the occasional one in a store, I learned that the good ones were few and far between. There are a lot of dog rhodes out there! I got a "parts" rhodes that had been abandoned at a tech shop which was a dog, then bought a clean one on the 'bay that was the worst sounding and playing of the bunch. I finally landed a 1960s "sparkletop" that had everything I was looking for in a Rhodes and that's the one I'm keeping.

Regarding limited tonality, that is true with many dog Rhodes out there. Two big factors in the sound are proper setup of the piano and the amp, esp tube amps. My sparkletop combined with my old british Selmer tube amp gets a big variety of tones. Fusion, bell tones, wulry reed-like, punchy - all from dynamic control of the hands. There's a lot of adjustment - pickup position, escapement, strike point, tine position relative to the pickup - that is needed to achieve this degree of control. The tubes in the Selmer amp play a large part in the tonal palette. Add a chorus or phaser and it's heavenly. I tried that with the rhodes I got on the 'bay and it was so gawd-awful far from the sparkletop. No amount of adjustment would help it. A good rhodes makes a huge difference but you have to do a lot of hunting to find one.

But the sparkletop is not sturdy enough to gig with - I gig with the Yamaha P-90 when I need a rhodes sound.

#2447110 - 10/22/12 07:47 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: The Real MC]
Wastrel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Don't know about Love/Hate, but I had a Stage 73 and a Suitcase 73 and gigged the hell out of both of them. I also had the Stage voiced and balanced by an excellent technician until the action was about as good as it gets. I just never related to the things as pianos or even as keyboards. It always felt like a cross between vibes and a kalimba.

#2447124 - 10/22/12 08:53 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
bourniplus Offline

Loc: Québec
Does anyone else here have (or had) a Mark V?

I have nothing but love for my Mark V. Here's a thread from the past about it. The action is definitely the best I've seen on a Rhodes, and it's light enough to carry by myself on gigs.

#2447129 - 10/22/12 09:17 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: bourniplus]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I have had an opportunity to by a Rhodes a while back and I am glad I didn’t. I have also had three Wurlitzer 200 electric pianos. A Rhodes does not seem to have the same aura as a vintage Hammond Console organ. You also can’t use it in as many styles of music as effectively either. It kind of has a different presence. I think they are cool instruments but not for me unless I had a studio or the room for one. The Yamaha Motifs and Nord Electros do a pretty good job with Rhodes sound.

noblevibes.com

#2447142 - 10/22/12 10:19 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Outkaster]
zoooombiex Offline

I go back and forth. I usually haul a Rhodes 54 & a second board for organ, and would always do so if I had my own roadie. But sometimes I break down and bring a NE3 for the sake of convenience (short set, no space for separate organ setup, etc.).

IMO, the NE3 is good enough that I can forget about it being a sample and just enjoy playing it without critiquing it. But when I play the real thing there is an extra dimension that I do notice and try to take advantage of.

In the end, I've had great shows on both boards, and bad shows on both boards. And I try to remind myself of that when deciding which one to bring smile

#2447150 - 10/22/12 10:49 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: zoooombiex]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
I fall on the side of hate at this point. I had a Mark I Stage 73 that I gigged with about 20 years ago. Looked great on stage, but that was about it. I swear, it seemed like there was always something that needed to be repaired right before each show. The action sucked and the tone was just...meh. It didn't have very good "bark". I would never play out with one again.

We had a suitcase 88 at the studio I worked at and it too was rather bland. The action wasn't that bad, but the sound was...flat. I've also played on 3 others (MKI & MKII) and the action and sound was different on each. If I were to get another EP, I would go for something like a Vintage Vibe. Those sound pretty good and look awesome.

I love the Rhodes in my Electro 3 and get a ton on compliments on how people love the way it sounds.

Edited by ABECK (10/22/12 10:50 AM)

#2447170 - 10/22/12 11:26 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ProfD
The reality is, I love EP sounds. Although it is a facsimile, a ROMpler or DP provides me with enough EP samples to come up with composite EP sounds I can dig in a stable and portable package.
In addition, a good ROMpler will give you more different Rhodes sounds than any particular Rhodes could.

... the one we had at my high school that sat on top of its own big speaker (what would've that been?)
That's the "suitcase" model. The speaker housed an amp and speakers, and you could attach a satellite speaker and use the lovely Suitcase stereo vibrato. "Mono only" players need not apply! laugh

#2447173 - 10/22/12 11:29 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Regarding the 88's, I never found any notes below C that were of any use, and even the C and sometimes the D were weak. The highest notes are even worse: I rarely use the very top few keys on my 73; I just don't like how they sound. So, I'm always a bit mystified that anyone would bother with an 88, especially a suitcase, except in a studio.

#2447189 - 10/22/12 12:47 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Outkaster]
torhu Offline

Loc: Norway
I guess it depends on if you just need "the sound" or if you want an expressive instrument. To me, a decent Rhodes is second only to a decent acoustic piano in expressiveness. I think the reason this can become a discussion is in part that people don't specify which of the two they're actually talking about. And in part that that many of the Rhodes' out there are today (and for the last 30 years) are not in a good shape.

#2447212 - 10/22/12 02:51 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: torhu]
hoggernick Offline

Loc: AR - Arkansas
Though it's been said here many times and in many ways, I'll happily say it again - I'm definitely in the LOVE IT group.

I've bought many synths/romplers/samplers in my 30-years' worth of attempts at doing without a Rhodes. SV1, NE3, Scarbee samples, and sampled my own Rhodes with 4-velocity-layer-deep samples and release samples. My samples of course sounded very close to MY Rhodes. I haven't actually purchased a Kronos, only played them in stores. It was ok, but it failed to inspire me.

There are plenty of great EP "sounds" in all those synths I've tried. The sound is only part of the experience though, for me. The feel just isn't there with a synth. It's not the fault of the synth makers though, they're doing what they can. There's just something very special to me about a real instrument, especially a suitcase Rhodes. I expect that my suitcase 88 will be with me for life unless I find myself living in an RV with no space for such things.

Regarding Chick playing the Motif, that's his bidness. Who am I to believe, my lying eyes and fingers, or Chick/Yamaha? They put gigabytes of his own personal Rhodes into the Motif, of course he's going to love it. I love the samples I made of my Rhodes, but they're still a limited subset of the sounds my Rhodes can make, and no controller I've ever played them through feels like a Rhodes. That's probably a really good thing, controller-wise, but still - it's no Rhodes.

If you have a love for old cars, guitars, hardback books, pianos, or EPs, there's really no true substitute. If you don't care for nostalgia, the "feel", the smell, the vibrations, then by all means use technology to get what makes you happy for as cheap and light as you can get it.

Regarding the Vintage Vibe, after nine months gigging with it I'm still loving mine. It's much easier to transport than a Rhodes, 73 keys weighs just over 60 pounds, super fast action, very hot rodded sound, and with MIDI I'm able to get just about any sound I ever need with nothing but the Vintage Vibe on stage and a Fantom XR in a small rack. If I'm playing a gig that calls for a lot of 80s synthy music, however, I'll usually stick something that has a pitch bend/mod wheel on top of the Vintage Vibe. A micro korg usually suffices just fine. There's really nothing not to love about the VV, other than it costs a lot of money. It has to though. It's a real instrument, handmade by nice folks in New Jersey that have their own bills to pay and families to feed.

For what it's worth, I think a VV could be voiced to sound more like a Rhodes, i.e. darkened up. VV uses the same Torrington Tine machine that made tines for Rhodes. The electronics aren't significantly different. Maybe someday I'll get really brave and revoice the thing to see how Rhodesy I can get it. The honeymoon will have to wear off a little more first.

#2447243 - 10/22/12 04:52 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: bourniplus]
Karl Sutton Offline

Originally Posted By: bourniplus
Does anyone else here have (or had) a Mark V?

I have nothing but love for my Mark V. Here's a thread from the past about it. The action is definitely the best I've seen on a Rhodes, and it's light enough to carry by myself on gigs.

That's a funny thread! Mine might fool some too except for the b below middle C sounds like it has a chorus pedal on it - no idea why. Glad to see another Mark V fan on here.

#2447245 - 10/22/12 04:53 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
Karl Sutton Offline

... the one we had at my high school that sat on top of its own big speaker (what would've that been?)
That's the "suitcase" model. The speaker housed an amp and speakers, and you could attach a satellite speaker and use the lovely Suitcase stereo vibrato. "Mono only" players need not apply! laugh[/quote]

Good grief why would they call that a suitcase? That thing was a beast to move!

#2447303 - 10/22/12 09:05 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
bourniplus Offline

Loc: Québec
except for the b below middle C sounds like it has a chorus pedal on it - no idea why.

hmmm, the B below middle C on my MarkV does exactly that (though I'd say it's more a tremolo pedal, at a rate of about 5x/second)...weird!

#2447313 - 10/22/12 09:27 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: bourniplus]
Bridog6996 Offline
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member

Definitely love the Rhodes. There are decent substitutes sound-wise, but playing the real thing is a tactile experience that simply can't be emulated. There are nuances that, in my opinion, no emulation or sample set has achieved (or could possibly achieve). Same is true of the Wurly, the tone of which I generally prefer to the Rhodes, to be honest. I love cranking one up nice and loud, and at certain point you get this effect of the instrument feeding back on itself, and you become one with the Gods.

Until I have roadies though, I'm never gonna gig with either one. The alternatives now are good enough that I can feel justified in being lazy.

#2447318 - 10/22/12 09:47 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: torhu]
yorgatron Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Jose Ca.
Originally Posted By: torhu
many of the Rhodes' out there... are not in good shape.

I think it's becoming less of a problem with places like Vintage Vibe and Speakeasy offering parts and advice ( and sometimes videos on YouTube) for a reasonable price.
when I got mine it was pretty messed up, but a few hours of tweaking it using basic hand tools got it playing pretty good. I was pretty lucky in that mine had no broken tines, good damper felts, no broken pickup wires etc.

Edited by yorgatron (10/22/12 09:47 PM)
Edit Reason: speling

#2447370 - 10/23/12 06:46 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good grief why would they call that a suitcase? That thing was a beast to move!

You've obviously never traveled with a woman laugh

#2447372 - 10/23/12 06:54 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: torhu]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: torhu
many of the Rhodes' out there are today are not in a good shape.

Few players bother to maintain them. Many were unceremoniously dumped in the corner gathering dust when you could get a rhodes sound from a DX-7 for a lot less weight and hassle. When they put them up for sale years later they don't bother to fix them up, too much effort and $$$.

#2447375 - 10/23/12 07:08 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: learjeff
Originally Posted By: ProfD
In addition, a good ROMpler will give you more different Rhodes sounds than any particular Rhodes could.

That's the "suitcase" model. The speaker housed an amp and speakers, and you could attach a satellite speaker and use the lovely Suitcase stereo vibrato. "Mono only" players need not apply! laugh

The suitcase model didn't need satellite speakers for the stereo vibrato: The suitcase model is where the stereo vibrato came from. The bottom cabinet had 4x12” speakers (2 facing forward, 2 facing the player), and the stereo vibrato was wonderful out of that single box.

#2447377 - 10/23/12 07:16 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: tonysounds]
tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My first gigging keyboard was a brand new 1976 Suitcase 73. I loved that thing….for about 10 years. Knew how to tune it, how to change tines, and nothing else ever went wrong with it. Had a row of stompboxes on a piece of carpeting across the top. It sat on 3 steel milk crates so I could stand and play. But after 10 years, I really needed a new sound. I sold it and bought some other gear. I’ve owned another 5 Rhodes since then, they were all pigs, they played like a$$, and sounded worse. I sold all of them to Speakeasy Vintage for rebuilds (I bought them on the cheap, so it was win on all counts). Granted, I’m sure I could find a great sounding and playing Rhodes, but who wants to spend $4k on such a beast? Who wants to move it?

I love real Hammonds and leslies, but buying and moving…..

I want a real clavinet (never had one yet), and I’m sure after a day of jamming on Kanker’s, I’ll be like ‘moving and buying…..’

#2447379 - 10/23/12 07:25 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: tonysounds]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Given that there are no stairs and the doorways are wide enough... I would rather move a Hammond than a Rhodes.

#2447381 - 10/23/12 07:45 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: tonysounds]
fjzingo Offline
Gold Member

Sittong in the middle of a mixing session trying to hide the fact that the rhodes was played on a nord stage, and not on any of my rhodes pianos...damn one really needs to add some soundtoys to be able to get it to fit. ....theres nothing like a real rhodes for recording, and having a few different sounding makes life easier.

.....My friends tell me I play differently on a real rhodes, and maybe I do have to compensate for the mechanism or me reacting to the sound.

Anyhow, Im really hesitant to bring my rhodes to stages, its not worth it in most cases.

In all, I love the rhodes sound, but I use the tool most suited for the session, be it recording, live, jam...it's good to have the option :-)

Is stevie wonder stil touring with his clavinets?

/Fred

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2447391 - 10/23/12 08:45 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, S. Wonder is still touring a Clavinet. With a Boss TWah pedal.

#2447399 - 10/23/12 09:03 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: bourniplus]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: bourniplus
except for the b below middle C sounds like it has a chorus pedal on it - no idea why.

hmmm, the B below middle C on my MarkV does exactly that (though I'd say it's more a tremolo pedal, at a rate of about 5x/second)...weird!
Take a look at the tine when you strike the note. Does it go straight up and down, or does it go a bit left and right?

If the latter, this can cause a phasey or dull tone. I believe it means that the tine needs to be replaced. Sometimes this happens before it breaks; if so, the next thing to happen is it goes out of tune, then thwump.

Originally Posted By: tonysounds

The suitcase model didn't need satellite speakers for the stereo vibrato: The suitcase model is where the stereo vibrato came from. The bottom cabinet had 4x12” speakers (2 facing forward, 2 facing the player), and the stereo vibrato was wonderful out of that single box.
Right! Thanks for the correction.

#2447431 - 10/23/12 10:38 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: tonysounds]
zoooombiex Offline

My first gigging keyboard was a brand new 1976 Suitcase 73. I loved that thing….for about 10 years. Knew how to tune it, how to change tines, and nothing else ever went wrong with it. Had a row of stompboxes on a piece of carpeting across the top. It sat on 3 steel milk crates so I could stand and play. But after 10 years, I really needed a new sound. I sold it and bought some other gear. I’ve owned another 5 Rhodes since then, they were all pigs, they played like a$$, and sounded worse. I sold all of them to Speakeasy Vintage for rebuilds (I bought them on the cheap, so it was win on all counts). Granted, I’m sure I could find a great sounding and playing Rhodes, but who wants to spend $4k on such a beast? Who wants to move it?

Did you ever check out a Rhodes 54? Even the clean ones usually run only about $1000 or so, and they are much easier to haul.

I don't have a huge sample size to base this on, but FWIW I have two 54's and a 73, and have played a number of other 73's, and the 54's have the best action of them all.

I want a real clavinet (never had one yet), and I’m sure after a day of jamming on Kanker’s, I’ll be like ‘moving and buying…..’

I have an extra clav that I might be fixing up to sell (or sell unfixed if you're into that). I bought it as a backup and a project to clean up but haven't gotten around to it...

Real clavs are very interesting because it's one of the few boards where your fingers are actually connected to the sound source. So you can feel the strings vibrate up through the keys, and it will feed back on itself without too much effort. That makes it a pretty dynamic instrument compared to samples.

That said, I never bring my real clav's out to shows - mainly because clav's are so prone to noise. They're not particularly big & heavy, but in the balance the noise, size & weight are enough to make me quite happy with my NE3. I'd definitely record with the real thing though...

#2447664 - 10/24/12 09:29 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: zoooombiex]
DirtyRubberDuck Offline

Loc: New Boston, MI
Rhodes-lover here!

I bought a Stage I 73 when I was in college - it was the first keyboard I ever bought. Carried that beast around gigging for 4 years with a lot of help from my bandmates. Ran it through a choru/flanger stompbox and an Airline amp. I always loved the sound of that thing. I gig with substitutes now, just cause of the Rhode's sheer weight and size. The sonic recreations in new synths are OK, although it takes 3-4 different presets to capture the different sounds, but I still love the feel of the real thing. I still have it - although it does need some maintenance. Admittedly, my praise of the instrument is largely sentimental, but if I was rich enough to afford roadies, I'd still like to play the real thing live. Even though it never leaves my house now, I don't think I will ever sell it - it holds a place of reverence in my home studio.

DRD

#2447703 - 10/24/12 12:48 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: learjeff]
Steveaudio Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Right now I'm listening to Chick's "Light as a Feather". I'm not sure there was ever a better Rhodes sound.

I gigged with a Stage 73 for maybe 15 years starting in the early 70's. Early on, many bizarre gigs--often "club dates", or "GB", like Sat. nights at Elks Clubs, weddings, anything--the kind of gigs that really young guys have to do when they're starting out. Often had to load & schlep the Rhodes by myself. And I now have the back X-rays to prove it.

These days I have a Kurz PC3. I love the wealth of Rhodes, Wurlie, & DX-7 sounds. Are they as "good as" the real thing? Not sure, but the variety of sounds is stunning.

I do believe that in the '70's, a kybd that that could do what a recent Kurz, or Nord, or others could do now would've been a wonderful fantasy.....(& huge savings on future chiropractor bills).....

#2447849 - 10/25/12 08:30 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Steveaudio]
fjzingo Offline
Gold Member

listen from 3:30 something (or for that sake the whole lot)

Rhodes!

/Fred

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2447972 - 10/25/12 11:31 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
Brad Kaenel Offline

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: fjzingo

Electro Deluxe Big Band

Rhodes!

O.

M.

G.

That is the coolest big band ever! I've never heard of Electro Deluxe -- I'm an instant fan. What great playing; what a buoyant, funky groove. Outstanding arrangements. And the Rhodes solo -- shut the front door. Just kills it.

Great big thanks for this post!

#2447982 - 10/26/12 02:36 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Karl Sutton]
BRW Offline

I have also had a strange perversion for Mark V. Chick Corea agrees with me wink

Rhodes is of acquired taste, for sure. Not only as a listener (wait - someone hates listening to those mellow sounds??? wink ) but definitely as a musician (a pianist).

By the way, nowadays the Rhodes and "vintage EPs" in general seem to be in vogue, but it wasn't that long ago when they were considered archaic. I'm thinking maybe the Neo Soul guys of the early 00s are responsible for its trendiness?

In the 1970's, quite a few acoustic jazz pianists ventured into the realms of Rhodes, with quite miserable results. You have to change your style of playing to suit it - Bill Evans is a good example of someone who should've never touched it.

If you think of all the "Rhodes masters" (Hancock, Corea, G.Duke, maybe Hammer and Zawinul) - they all have a different approach to soloing and comping on both pianos (acoustic grand vs EP). Granted, the setting in which they play changed also, sometimes for the funkier.

The problem with sampled Rhodeses is that a real Rhodes ISN'T perfect - a sampled Rhodes sort of is. Meaning, that you need to sample quite a hefty amount of gigabytes in order to have all the nuances, intricacies and inconsistencies of the real thing. Only because there are real hammers hitting real tines, so it's only physics/mechanics.

I feel like the perfect approach in emulating a Rhodes is the combination of physical modeling and samples. Roland does this with their SuperNatural stuff, Yamaha does this with their CP1/CP5 pianos, some software instruments do it as well.

#2447989 - 10/26/12 03:46 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

Rhodes!

/Fred

Thx for the link !
What a find,- I´ve never heard from that band before.
I love bigbands,- the Rhodes sounds amazing and the player is excellent.

Big love for Rhodes here, even I don´t use the original anymore these days.
I loved my 1971 Fender Rhodes mk I 73 Stage to death until it was beaten up beyond usability late 80s.
I buyed another used Rhodes mk II in addition but it was never the same.
Couldn´t find an affordable mk V in the 90s,- so I gave up.

Today and in my age,- w/ several back-, hip- and whatever issues, I cannot imagine using a real Rhodes anymore,- except for the home only.

A.C.

#2448005 - 10/26/12 07:02 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Al Coda]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

These guys are great. If I could musically do whatever I want it would be something along the lines of this or Mingo Fishtrap.

#2448008 - 10/26/12 07:19 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ

Rhodes!

/Fred

Wow! Awesome, thanks Fred. thu

Regards,
Joe

#2448024 - 10/26/12 08:41 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
Steve LeBlanc Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA,UNITED STATES

Rhodes!

/Fred

Somethings are just super easy to love...thanks for the link. And that rhodes sounds fantastic...fantastic Rhodes playing, all great players, great mix.

#2448032 - 10/26/12 09:15 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Steve LeBlanc]
tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

His Nord Clav playing didn't suck either. Great link.

#2448048 - 10/26/12 10:21 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
Tomkeen Offline

Loc: Venlo, Netherlands

Rhodes!

/Fred

THANK YOU. This is just awesome. My colleagues at breaktime didn't like it, but whatever.

#2448101 - 10/26/12 04:29 PM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: Tomkeen]
icarusi Offline

Loc: UNITED KINGDOM
Most of the recordings I like turned out to be Wurlis rather than Rhodes, although I have noticed more brighter Rhodes sounds recently, maybe VV?

I like the percussion and bark sounds of the Wurli rather than the dark bell Rhodes sounds, although they sound good in context. Synth emulations of EPs are convenient for me to mix and match sounds but if I had money I needed to get red of quickly I'd probably add a VV, just for curiosity.

#2448131 - 10/27/12 01:20 AM Re: Rhodes love/hate thread [Re: fjzingo]
orangefunk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Rhodes!

/Fred

This is real nice. It's coming from that whole 70s Peter Herbolzheimer/George Gruntz/Maynard Ferguson (with the British band) vibe though has a kind of 90s acid jazz vibe. There's a fair bit of this kind of music happening in Europe...

Great rhodes playing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner