Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2444622 - 10/10/12 06:19 PM Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I thought I'd start a new thread, rather than hijack crpnteron's
David Gilmour
-thread...

Originally Posted By: A String

I want one!!!

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

A Boss RT-20, Craig? (Or a Yamaha RA-200, or a real-live Leslie 122 or 147? wink )

I love my RT-20, and get a LOT of miles out of it. If I could only take two or three pedals (not counting my tuner!), it would be one of them; if I could only take ONE- it might still be the RT-20.

Check out the BEAUTIFUL live, classic close-miked, overdriven Leslie sound, switching between two-speeds, that Gary Moore gets here onstage performing "Angel" by Jimi Hendrix, at about 0:24:24 (the Leslie action commences at 0:25:30) in this video of his Blues for Jimi tribute concert:

____

Now, after having listened to that, skip ahead and pause at about 0:41:00 and take a look...

Sounded pretty damn convincing there, didn't it! And it appears that it wasn't even running stereo- it looks to me like he only had one of the two outputs connected, and possibly only the Right/(For Stereo) out instead of the Left/(Mono) output, at that!

I run the Left out of mine into the input of my cranked tube-amp, and the Right into a digital-modeler/multi-effects unit that goes direct to the PA mains and monitors. Not only does it give me a decent "Y" signal-split right where I want it, most people there (myself included) will perceive the stereo Leslie-motion effect from wherever they may be, between either of the sides of the PA and monitors and my amp.

When playing an outdoor/tent gig recently, a guy who'd been outside the pavilion came up during a break and asked where the keyboard player went- he wanted to compliment him on his Hammond/Leslie sounds! I had to convince him that it was me, and with no guitar-synths or anything like that! grin cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

GP Island
#2444816 - 10/11/12 02:42 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The Boss RT-20 sounds amazing! They certainly did a fantastic job of getting that Leslie sound!
My Pics

#2444824 - 10/11/12 03:10 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: A String]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
As I've said elsewhere, the Boss Rotary is one of those pedals that does EXACTLY what it says it is going to do. Damn good construction, too.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2444837 - 10/11/12 04:09 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
Yep, had mine for 2 or 3 years now and it works great!
I use it on 1 amp, sometimes 2 if I run stereo...that's when it rocks! rawk
I also use it on my keyboards where it does just as well.

Here's another one that both Keyboard and Guitar players are raving about.
Neo Instruments Ventilator.
German made, about $450 but everyone that buys one swears by it.

With Guitar:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=1te8m8ZQas4

With Keyboard - great after about 1 minute yapping.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=8QQ4EimOoYo

One more with guitar
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WWcNVHYPc

#2444856 - 10/11/12 07:06 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: A String]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: A String
The Boss RT-20 sounds amazing! They certainly did a fantastic job of getting that Leslie sound!

Craig, did you check out that vid with Gary Moore playing "Angel" live? I loved that! And I was so surprised- and pleasantly so- when I later saw that it wasn't a real Leslie cab, but the RT-20... cool

Dannyalcatraz- Don'tcha love that?

Randy- yeah, that Neo Ventilator sounds very good in demo vids! I'd like to sit down and compare it to the RT-20 sometime; though I'm not in a big hurry to find something better than the RT-20, I've been pretty happy with it so far... And, is the Ventilator worth more than twice the cost of the RT-20? Does it sound $240.00 better? Maybe- maybe not!

#2444861 - 10/11/12 08:08 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The thing about the RT-20 is that it is sooooo common and soooo often used as a store demo, you can often find a "gently used" one for sale.

#2444879 - 10/12/12 02:52 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
The thing about the RT-20 is that it is sooooo common and soooo often used as a store demo, you can often find a "gently used" one for sale.

Yeah, I ran across someone mentioning (a keyboard player, IIRC?) that they'd scored one for about $120...

#2444890 - 10/12/12 05:11 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
LeftyBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
I've read great reviews of the Tech 21 pedal - any of you Pro's had a chance to try and compare? Believe it's the same price as the Boss unit.

#2444908 - 10/12/12 07:28 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: LeftyBlues]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
This has got me wondering if the Rotary effect in the GT-10 isn't designed from the RT-20? I'll have to dig in and report back . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2444910 - 10/12/12 07:39 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: WinstonPsmith
This has got me wondering if the Rotary effect in the GT-10 isn't designed from the RT-20? I'll have to dig in and report back . . .

Interesting... is there a corresponding number of adjustable parameters? How does it sound?

Originally Posted By: LeftyBlues
I've read great reviews of the Tech 21 pedal - any of you Pro's had a chance to try and compare? Believe it's the same price as the Boss unit.

I'm no pro- the notion is laughable, were I so presumptuous grin - but I did note that while I was NOT terribly impressed with some official demo-clips for the Tech 21 RotoChoir (I thought it sounded 'blippy' and more like an alternate take on a Uni-Vibe), I later heard some user clips that I thought sounded much better. And some RotoChoir owners PREFER that it sounds a little different from a real Leslie or many other Leslie-sim devices out there.

#2444922 - 10/12/12 08:52 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like the RT-20 for guitar. I would never use a RT-20 for keys. I would use the internal sim built into my Hammond clone first. The RT-20 isn't real enough for my taste. The vent is the only external sim I would use for organ. But I still gig with real leslies.

The Vent models a 122 Leslie. Personally for guitar I prefer a single rotar leslie over a dual rotar..... what I really like on guitar is that old UniVibe sound. For guitar I generaly prefer something less real .... less subtle.

Edited by CEB (10/12/12 09:06 AM)

#2444925 - 10/12/12 09:03 AM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: CEB]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As I recall, the GT-10's rotary effect IS derived from the RT-10's.

#2445029 - 10/12/12 04:18 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Strategery Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia USA
Yeah, the RT-20 has upper and lower simulators.

I also have a Boss ME-70 all in one effects unit for my guitar.
It has a rotary but not like the RT-20 with the speed up and down and gain, although there is separate gain that can also be brought in.

Still...the RT-20 does a great job.
It just depends on you individual needs. rawk

Randy

#2445065 - 10/12/12 10:49 PM Re: Leslie/rotary sim pedals, Boss RT-20, & what goes 'round [Re: Strategery]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Strategery
Yeah, the RT-20 has upper and lower simulators.

I also have a Boss ME-70 all in one effects unit for my guitar.
It has a rotary but not like the RT-20 with the speed up and down and gain, although there is separate gain that can also be brought in.

Still...the RT-20 does a great job.
It just depends on you individual needs. rawk

Randy

I sometimes hit mine with a Foxrox Octron octave-fuzz (usually using the neck-pickup), which has both octave-up and octave-down fuzz, as well as a blendable direct/straight signal; and sometimes I follow both with an octave-down pitch-shift via my DigiTech GNX4 digital-modeler/multi-effects. Sounds HUGE! Sounds like a grinding, gurgling monster distorted organ.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose