Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2444205 - 10/09/12 10:47 AM A different pickup combo- opinions wanted
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Because of a conversation I had in another thread, I'm killing two birds with one stone: despite having several electric guitars, none are equipped with P90s, and I was planning to upgrade the stock pickups on my Dean Special Select EVO. (It still looks & feels as good as ever, but subsequent purchases have illustrated the quality of it's stock pickups.)

So instead of buying a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster, a Reverend Double Agent, or even more expensive options from Nik Huber or Duesenberg, I'm going to replace the EVO's 2 HBs with a HB-sized P90 in the neck and an upgraded HB in the bridge.

To that end, I've looked online and communicated with Lace, Lollar, Bareknuckle, TV Jones and Tesla, and have started receiving responses from a couple of them.

So far

Bareknuckle has suggested:
1) Stockholm HSP90 partnered with a Nailbomb (alnico)

2) Stockholm HSP90 partnered with a Rebel Yell HB

3) Mississippi Queen P90 partnered with a Rebel Yell HB.

(Of the first 2 options, they rank the 1st combo as easier to balance)

Lollar has suggested:
1) SCFH P90 partnered with the Standard Imperial HB

So, any other companies & combos I should look at?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/09/12 12:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Reformatted for clarity

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2444239 - 10/09/12 12:50 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
Now I think these are humbuckers but dean makes em for the Leslie West model guitar.

LESLIE WEST MOUNTAIN OF TONE
http://www.deanguitars.com/dmt_mountain.php

Also I tried a PRS with a p90 set up and really liked it, not that I was gonna buy one but just wanted to see how it sounded. I think that piclk up set up was p90 in a humbucker box.

Lok

#2444240 - 10/09/12 12:51 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
One question- why not have a P-90 type at the bridge on this guitar, as well? They work great in pairs!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2444242 - 10/09/12 12:55 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No reason in particular beyond having something that's little different, having a little extra flexibility. Like a HS guitar with a bigger set, y'know?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/09/12 01:06 PM)

#2444253 - 10/09/12 01:38 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
If you're up to spending the money for a set of TV Jones p/ups, I'd recommend Seymour Duncat Phat Cats, his entry into the 'bucker sized P90 market. They are great, really do sound like a set of good Gibson P90s from the 60's, rude & snotty in distortion, kinda barky in a way that cuts through really nice when you're playing cleaner stuff. of course, you could look at the GFS p/ups on the Guitar Fetish site. I had a set of them in a semi hollow guitar, and they were really nice. I think they were $30 a pop, which was even nicer...

#2444317 - 10/09/12 04:37 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I really am looking to upgrade the pickups, not just swap out...and even the best pickups will cost me less than a new Fender Blackout Jazzmaster (take up less space, too).

So the money isn't really an issue.

BTW, thanks for all the ideas so far- keep 'em coming!

#2444329 - 10/09/12 05:48 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

what exactly do you want the guitar to do?
do you want gain, a balanced set or heavy bridge clean neck?
there are tons of awesome pickups out there and just as much voodoo and confusion on what pickups sound like.

as for a neck p90 i would choose a vintage output pickup. you should check out vintage vibe pickups. Pete will do custom work of all sorts.

rock it, i will

#2444337 - 10/09/12 06:21 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Guitarzan]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Fair questions:

1) What exactly do you want the guitar to do?

i: I want the guitar to sound better than it does now. Its stock HBs do not stand up to the ones in my other guitars, so I don't play it as often as it deserves, The pickups are the only problem on the guitar.

ii: I also want to explore a different sonic niche. I currently have electrics with 3S, 3HB, 2HB, and 2HB (splittable). I'm currently having a HSS built. Never even owned a P90 guitar before, but I have played one or two. The ones I played made me think of a S on steroids.

2) do you want gain, a balanced set or heavy bridge clean neck?

I don't have a solid goal at this point; I'm exploring the possibilities before I buy. For instance, Bareknuckle's Stockholm HSP90 is a very potent pickup, while their Mississippi Queen has a more vintage feel.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/09/12 06:25 PM)

#2444356 - 10/09/12 07:33 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'll have to check out the Vintage Vibes later- their site isn't responding at the moment.

Those Phat Cats sounded pretty good.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/09/12 07:42 PM)

#2444795 - 10/11/12 01:06 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90junior Offline

Seymour Duncan makes the P-Rail, which is tappable as either a humbucker, a single coil or a P90.

#2444798 - 10/11/12 01:38 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: p90junior]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just found those yesterday!

I'm intrigued by them, but to get the full use out of them, I'd need to install a mini-toggle. Don't know that I want to do that kind of work on my EVO.

That said, they got me thinking about doing a custom jobbie with 3 of 'em* (if possible) next year, and I know a few luthiers. (Codename: Proteus)

* with 3 P-Rails installed, you effectively get an astounding 27 different combinations of pickup arrays, depending on how you wire things.

#2444831 - 10/11/12 03:44 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I'm intrigued by them, but to get the full use out of them, I'd need to install a mini-toggle. Don't know that I want to do that kind of work on my EVO.

Duncan makes a pickup ring for the P Rail with mini toggle switches built in. No modification to the guitar required.

#2444838 - 10/11/12 04:16 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
A couple of Gibson 57 humbuckers and you're good to go (much better sound than Prails) IMHO.

#2444865 - 10/11/12 08:35 PM Re: A different pickup combo- opinions wanted [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz

Duncan makes a pickup ring for the P Rail with mini toggle switches built in. No modification to the guitar required.

Hmmm...I may have to reconsider! Thanks!

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/11/12 08:38 PM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose